Aenarion - Havoc DH

Want to join? Post your application here.

Moderator: Officer

Aenarion

Aenarion - Havoc DH

Post by Aenarion » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:39 pm

1.Character name, Server

Aenarion, Mal'ganis

2.Class, Race, and Spec (and Artifact Level)

Demon Hunter, Blood Elf, Havoc. My neck is at 24 currently but that will come up quickly.

3. Link to an Armory profile, and an explanation of anything that may not be readily apparent from your Armory profile (alternate sets of gear, currently PvP-specced, etc.)

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/m ... /Aenarion/

I've been out of the game since GTS fell apart, recently resubbed and will be getting on the grind starting tonight essentially.

4. What are your usual playing hours? Are there days/times when you are consistently unavailable? Inform us of your daily work/school schedule, what time do you get home from work/school, and what time must you be in bed for the next day. Are you able to make our raid times in general? Is this availability going to change within the next few months, or with a change in Semester (if applicable)?

I usually play basically from when I'm home from work till I go to bed (6-12EST) most days. I fill my out of raid time with the usual wow dailies and doing as much M+ as I can. I work from 830-530 EST most days, with the occasional and rare late day (IT work struggles). Availability should not change and any raid days is no issue to make.

5. Discuss your prior endgame raiding experience. Specify your experience with Heroic/Mythic in previous content as well as your experience in the current tier.

I was in GTS (Guiles Theme Song) for about a year and a half before the guild fell apart in the first raid of BFA with roster issues. Prior to that I was casual and before that I was actually an applicant here previously, much has changed since then however.

6. Why do you want to leave your current guild? Why do you want to join us? Specifically, what interests you in our band of merry idiots?

GTS fell apart some time ago and shows no signs of that changing. My long time friend Truu is here, combined with a renewed interest in progression raiding as a lot of the initial concerns I had about BFA are slowly being addressed means that I'd like another shot at becoming a raider in SF.

7. Give us some info on your class knowledge and self performance analysis in this section:

7a. What resources and practices do you use to keep up with your class and maximizing your DPS/HPS/Surivability?

I keep an active eye on the DH discord, Fel Hammer, which has been a gold mine worth of information with many of the highest level Havoc players there sharing information. Especially if you've got the brains to ask questions not in the FAQ, you can learn a lot about DH specific strengths for a given fight/instance.

7b. What fights in the current tier do you swap Talents and Traits to something different than the norm (if at all)? What do you swap and why? Feel free to list on a boss per boss basis.

Havoc in it's current iteration is rather cookie-cutter, with some slight talent differences available depending on what exactly you're looking to do. Since Antorus, Havoc has been an incredibly versatile damage dealer, bringing both tremendous single target and AOE burst DPS to push phases or quickly murder priority adds (something I've always loved about the spec) and also brings respectable sustained DPS as well. The main swaps I will make for a given encounter are between Trail of Ruin and Fel Barrage, mostly depending on how hard burst AOE DPS is required or if specifically there is something on a 1minute CD that requires overwhelming DPS contribution. Trail is the main choice but FB definitely has merits as well. There is some debate about use of momentum on some fights, but often on the hardest fights of a given tier there are positional limits that would hamper the theoretical DPS gain of using it.

7c. How do you analyze your performance on a new fight and figure out how/what you can improve on next week? Don't just say you use logs and compare to others of your class - what specifically are you looking for when you have a good/bad parse?

Like anyone, I use Warcraftlogs and compare with people I know are of a high skill caliber for a given boss. This is not to say I'm just looking at the top parses, which everyone knows often come down to a tailored strategy rather than "correct" play for killing the boss on progress. I'm critical of casts of priority spells (Eye beam, blade dance, Annhilation) wasted resource (Fury) and general CD timing. The difference between a Havoc DH who can correctly time and use Blur and one who ignores it for after they have taken damage is quite large. I also keep an eye on the replays to check for positional differences between myself and other high-skill players. As a melee, often times being able to handle the chaos and the dance near the boss is more important than your rotational execution or mastery.

8. Please include your character log report showcasing your performance on the relevant bosses of the tier. If your logs are private, please change your Warcraftlogs login and list the username/password here so we can access your logs. If you aren't comfortable listing it publicly, please PM it to Palin privately on these forums. Please remember to change your WCL login again a few days later after we've reviewed your application.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... fficulty=5

The above logs are from Uldir before GTS collapsed.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... e=detailed#

The above logs are from ABT.

9. Of the above logs, please do a quick analysis of what fights you did well on, what went wrong on certain fights, etc. Use this chance to explain any context behind good/bad logs.

I think, of the logs above, the best thing I can say for myself is that I consistently improve the more I see a fight and can adjust my CD usage to the specific group's timing and DPS. I'm a mechanics first, team focused player who will gladly take the "bitch roles" of a given fight if, in doing so, it improves the damage of the rest of the group. As my former raid lead would be willing to vouch for, I'm always open to tackling a different look on a fight if it helps our groups strategy or execution in any way. Argus will essentially always look bad (Orb runner life) and our guilds Vectis kills were sloppy to the last.

10. Can your PC handle WoW at high effects (Lust, Scorp Room, etc.)?

New PC about a year ago, no issues with lag or performance whatsoever since then.

11. Please include a SS of your raiding UI. IF A KEYBINDING IS NOT SHOWN NO YOUR FRAME, PLEASE EXPLAIN AND list any relevant keybinds not shown in the screenshot. Make sure we can see everything that pops up in a raid, meaning take the SS in combat in LFR or something of the like so we can see your boss mods, timer positioning, WeakAuras, raid frames, etc.

https://imgur.com/a/b5PZmy2

The only thing not shown is Darkness CD, which comes up when it's on CD, but is subject to change.

12. Tell us a bit about yourself. Age, gender, work/school, hobbies, etc. Add anything else you feel is pertinent.

I'm a 25 year old dude who works in a small IT company that does network support for other companies. I play a lot of PoE when I'm not playing WoW, if I'm not doing that I'm either working, hanging out with my girl or dogs, or working out.

13. Out-of-game contact information - Discord tag, Battle.net ID, etc. Some way we can contact you besides these forums.
BTag: Azrael#12679
Discord: Aenarion#8661
Palin
The Professor

Re: Aenarion - Havoc DH

Post by Palin » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:08 am

Hey again Aenarion, thanks for checking us out again and hope you've been well.

Right now you're not really ready for a potential Trial being that we're hitting prog and your neck level is 24. Keep in mind we'd really need that to be in the 36-38 range to justify bringing you to Mythic progression to evaluate, so we may delay any decision we make until you're caught up.

A lot of time has passed since you Trialed with us back in Tomb, what do you feel you've improved since then?

Thanks!
Aenarion

Post by Aenarion » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:41 pm

Palin wrote:Hey again Aenarion, thanks for checking us out again and hope you've been well.

Right now you're not really ready for a potential Trial being that we're hitting prog and your neck level is 24. Keep in mind we'd really need that to be in the 36-38 range to justify bringing you to Mythic progression to evaluate, so we may delay any decision we make until you're caught up.
Absolutely, I wouldn't expect to enter an instance until I was prepared.
Palin wrote:A lot of time has passed since you Trialed with us back in Tomb, what do you feel you've improved since then?

Thanks!
One of the main improvements has been mechanical, I've spent a lot of time playing with talented people both in raid and M+ which has been a good chance to both learn from others and forced me to raise my own level of play. Another is, if I'm wholly honest, motivation. ToS Havoc was my least favorite form of the spec by a very wide margin and I strongly disliked the vast majority of those fights on Mythic as well. The design space for DH since then has been much more enjoyable and every raid since has been a considerable improvement. Damage output, as a result of better mechanical play (out of position less often, timing damage windows, etc), has also come a long way from Tomb.

Essentially you would be getting a new and improved version from what you saw in ToS. While I understand that I couldn't ask you to forget a less than ideal performance the first time, I would definitely appreciate a chance to show improvement that I think Truu can vouch for.
Palin
The Professor

Post by Palin » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:43 am

Hi Aenarion, I went to check on your neck progress and think you transferred somewhere yea? Guessing we should close this, let us know.