Asumislk - Warlock

Want to join? Post your application here.

Moderator: Officer

Asumis

Asumislk - Warlock

Post by Asumis » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:56 pm

1. Character name, Server

Asumislk - Zul'jin

2. Class, Race, and Spec (and Artifact Level)

Warlock, Troll. I play all 3 Warlock specs depending on what is needed/best for the encounter.

For EP specifically, I played Affliction until Za'qul, which I switched to Demo for due to better CD timings. However, since I did not have great Demo gear (lacking 3x BI) and we were able to make checks with me playing Aff a few pulls, I switched back to Aff for the kill.

I played Destro for Azshara due to the large amount of 2-target cleave and it seemed to be performing better than Aff on average. Previous to EP, I played Demo main for a month or two when it was by far the strongest Warlock spec.

Artifact Level: 70

3. Link to an Armory profile, and an explanation of anything that may not be readily apparent from your Armory profile (alternate sets of gear, currently PvP-specced, etc.)

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... n/asumislk

I'm most likely logged out in my Azshara gear and spec. I have separate full sets for Affliction raid ST as well as Cleave/AoE, Demo Raid, Demo M+.

4. What are your usual playing hours? Are there days/times when you are consistently unavailable? Inform us of your daily work/school schedule, what time do you get home from work/school, and what time must you be in bed for the next day. Are you able to make our raid times in general? Is this availability going to change within the next few months, or with a change in Semester (if applicable)?

I can make the raid times as these hours are the same as my current guild besides the extra hour on Sunday, which isn't a problem, and one day being different, which also isn't a problem. I recently graduated from grad school and am working full-time again but have a pretty flexible schedule. I usually get home around 4:45 PM PST. I eat dinner with my wife after raid hours and we usually chill for a bit after, but I tend to be back online around 9:30 and sleep around 12:30 or 1.

Other than some planned holiday vacations, I don't see any changes to my availability in the next few months.

5. Discuss your prior endgame raiding experience. Specify your experience with Heroic/Mythic in previous content as well as your experience in the current tier.

I've been playing since Vanilla clearing content while it was current for most tiers, with top-end experience in a few tiers. I took a break in mid-Cata and didn't play in MoP due to the Panda theme and returned to the game in late WoD, which I guess was a mistake since many people who've played all expansions say that MoP was the best.

In terms of current tier, we just killed Azshara last night!

6. Why do you want to leave your current guild? Why do you want to join us? Specifically, what interests you in our band of merry idiots?

My current guild is not raiding anymore for the future as our GM/RL are stepping down. As the GM/RL of my last guild, I can understand their reasoning for doing so. A few of us are apping to Spike Flail and it'd be great to be able to raid in another guild that seems to also be a chill, yet competitive environment. The similar raid hours also is a big draw for me.

7. Give us some info on your class knowledge and self performance analysis in this section:

7a. What is your general action priority? Opener and neutral game, and any special CDs?

I'll speak to Aff since it's the spec I've progged with most this tier.

Pure ST opener - Font at 6s -> prepot at 2s -> haunt -> agony -> SL -> corr -> PS -> zerking/DS/CLF -> UA until 5 or no shards -> Darkglare -> DB -> Shadow bolt spam -> refresh dots

Essentially want to get the biggest Deathbolt possible in the opener, so an ideal 5 shard UA dump is desirable. Sometimes if I have bad shard RNG in the opener, I may weave a few shadowbolts in to try to get more shards. After the Deathbolt opener, it's just making sure shadowbolt is used as a filler and dots are refreshed within pandemic range while keeping good UA uptime.

Cleave opener - Font at 6s -> prepot at 2s -> haunt -> agony x2-> zerking/DS/CLF -> SL x2-> corr x2 -> PS haunted target -> UAx1 on 2ndary target -> UAx4/5 on primary target -> Darkglare -> DB primary target-> Shadow bolt spam -> refresh dots

I change my opener for cleave to ensure a good shard gen. I also UA the 2ndary target for the extra damage ticking from the Darkglare extend. CDs are popped earlier in the cleave scenario to decrease the GCD time it takes to apply all the dots to two targets.

7b. What resources and practices do you use to keep up with your class and maximizing your DPS/HPS/Surivability?

I use Simcraft Nightly to make sure my gear is up to date and I'm using the best combination possible. I often sim for different scenarios if the fights are different or if I have a different theory to why something might be better based on our strat, comp, etc.

I check the class Discord occasionally to see if there is anything important that I need to know, such as balancing.

I also check logs every night, especially if I feel like I didn't do well on a certain fight or certain pull. Most of the time, there's not much for me to dig into, but when I do, I usually compare damage breakdown first to see if something looks funny then dive deeper into actual cast timelines and replays, looking at certain phases of fights, targeting, etc. to investigate something further.

7c. How do you prioritize gear upgrades? What stats do you prioritize, how do you choose between ilvl upgrades that don't have your preferred stats, etc.? Are there any legos you don't have that you're shooting for?

For the most part, although it's changed a bit due to Crit being valued higher with the EP trinkets, Benthic gear, and azerite choices, as Aff I'm looking for Haste > Mastery > Crit > Vers.

For multitarget, Mastery is valued higher.

I sim any piece that drops and usually will have it simmed before raid to know what baseline upgrades I'm looking for, if any.

Regarding higher ilvl upgrades vs. my preferred stats, I will always sim upgrades to make sure it's better, but in this instance, even if a higher ilvl gear is a bit better, if it's not my preferred stats I usually will pass. The stats are most likely BiS for someone else who will better utilize it and I go for my actual BiS upgrades with preferable stats.

7d. What fights in the current tier do you swap Talents and Traits to something different than the norm? What do you swap and why? Feel free to list on a boss per boss basis.

I swap on Orgozoa to a different Talent and Trait setup, for offensive and defensive reasons. The main changes I make are taking Demon Skin instead of Burning Rush for the increased survivability (and Burning Rush is less of a need here since we have to go down as a group anyway). I also run Absolute Corruption to help out on add damage, which frees up a ton of GCDs to pump into Orgo.

In terms of traits, I swap to Purification Protocol due to the increased damage to Aberrations as well as the adds being alive for a decent amount of time so that helps with add damage too.

I also ran AC on Queen for the GCD freedom, except I ran Dark Pact as a defensive for the large predictable bursts of damage on that fight. I ended up switching to SL on reclears as we didn’t need as much Spark damage anymore and it makes the rotation during Repeat Performance better to manage, while have equal or better overall DPS.

For Za’qul, I ran AC to help with add damage and used Mortal Coil to self-heal in the Delirium realm.

Azshara I went Destro due to aforementioned reasons.

7e. How do you analyze your performance on a new fight and figure out how/what you can improve on next week? Don't just say you use logs and compare to others of your class - what specifically are you looking for when you have a good/bad parse?

I only really look if I have a bad performance because that bothers me and I want to figure out what I could have done better. This will usually involve looking at logs first to see if I missed anything in terms of CD windows, better CD optimization, uptime, etc. If I can’t figure it out from there, I usually compare to another log. I tend to not compare with the top logs since many of them are gamed, such as top guilds helping someone parse specifically.
I mentioned it earlier, but I’ll look through damage comparison, cast timelines, replays, etc.

I also review my VoDs because that’s the best way for me to see how I did and if there was something I could improve. Watching it over and not having to worry about some impending mechanic allows me to clearly see areas for improvement.

8. Please include your character log report showcasing your performance on the relevant bosses of the tier. If your logs are private, please change your Warcraftlogs login and list the username/password here so we can access your logs. If you aren't comfortable listing it publicly, please PM it to Palin privately on these forums. Please remember to change your WCL login again a few days later after we've reviewed your application.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... n/asumislk

9. Of the above logs, please do a quick analysis of what fights you did well on, what went wrong on certain fights, etc. Use this chance to explain any context behind good/bad logs.

I can do an analysis of our Azshara kill.

One of the obvious mistakes is I prepotted a second late and didn't end up getting a second pot because of it. Also, I could have had better Immolate uptime on Azshara during P3, which would just require me to poke out to get in LoS of her. I also took an extra stack of the soak around the 7 minute mark, which was due to me trying to set up a Havoc on the add.

There was also a misclick on my mouseover Havoc (part of the downside of using mouseover, should have used boss frames there but for some reason tried to use the character model instead) around the 7 minute mark too when I Havoc'd Azshara instead of Venna. Usually I'm Havoc'ing Venna there and cleaving off of the 2nd Myrmidon, but got Azshara with the Havoc instead so it was essentially wasted since Azshara is LoS there. I could have shifted myself to be in LoS of her but wanted to be safe for the shield breaks and detonation so I gave that up. That mistake was a decent DPS loss as I'm running 2x Roiling Havoc traits so I got 0 stacks during that part and had 0 benefit from the Azerite traits. I held my Havoc for that window specifcally to cleave the 2nd Myrmidon and Venna so that was a lot of lost damage too.

Going over the things I did well on this fight - mechanics-wise it was a pretty solid pull. Soaks were mostly on point besides the extra stack at one point. Damage overall was pretty good as well but I did notice I capped on Conflag charges at two times during the fight, which could have been utilized better.

10. Can your PC handle WoW at high effects (Lust, Scorp Room, etc.)?

Yes, I run a 9700K paired with a 2080 Ti and NVMe SSDs.

11. Please include a SS of your raiding UI. IF A KEYBINDING IS NOT SHOWN NO YOUR FRAME, PLEASE EXPLAIN AND list any relevant keybinds not shown in the screenshot. Make sure we can see everything that pops up in a raid, meaning take the SS in combat in LFR or something of the like so we can see your boss mods, timer positioning, WeakAuras, raid frames, etc.

https://imgur.com/kRMfiK1

My Azshara UI is a bit more cluttered than normal due to the extra things I had to manage (soaks, dispels). I also had to adjust my UI a bit for dispels since I used to have my raid frames on the left above my chat, but I had to switch it to the right since my positioning in that fight during the times of dispels often had my eyes towards the right side vs. the left side, so it was not efficient to try dispelling with raid frames on the left.

12. Tell us a bit about yourself. Age, gender, work/school, hobbies, etc. Add anything else you feel is pertinent.

My name is James and I just turned 31 recently. I graduated from grad school this past June and am back to working full time in a new job in the Bay Area. I’m married and most of my free time outside of playing WoW is hanging out with the wife/family, working out, outdoor activities, watching movies, watching sports, etc.

Thanks for reading through!

13. Out-of-game contact information - e-mail (PM it to Palin if you prefer private), Discord tag, Battle.net ID, etc. Some way we can contact you besides these forums.

Asumis#1734 - Bnet
Asumis#6195- Discord
Foojeezy

Re: Asumislk - Warlock

Post by Foojeezy » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:05 pm

Hey Brother, thanks for filling out our app. Sad to hear about Pho hanging it up. We'll be reviewing your app internally and will post any questions we have.
Palin
The Professor

Post by Palin » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:20 pm

Hi Asu, thanks for your interest with us and taking the time to write a detailed application. We know they're a pain and appreciate your time and effort. A few quick questions:

-I agree Destro CDs line up better for Azshara with VoP Major/Minor to give you that Infernal in P3 you otherwise don't get. What was your thought process behind running CLF and desyncing Infernal from CLF, skipping lining it up with the 3rd? Why not go VOP Major or MOLD major with Flame/Conflict minor instead? I don't think there's a wrong answer but curious your rationale.

-Curious you guys were prepotting P1 Azshara since we ended up holding DPS all the time anyways.
For Za’qul, I ran AC to help with add damage and used Mortal Coil to self-heal in the Delirium realm.
WCL shows you running Write in Agony on all your Zaqul kills - with only 1 Sudden Onset that's probably not worth (and even with wouldn't be due to how much you lose on boss damage). What was your thought process? https://puu.sh/EqhKO/c731644c33.png

-If you had access to all Azerite you could, would you still run the same setup on Azshara Destro?

-We started recently doing 1 Echo speed burns of Zaqul and putting Locks in the Delirum Realm for the Echo. We go down with the Puncture at 3:30ish and stay in until we get knocked out. If you had any build choice here between Azerite/spec/essences, what do you feel you would run?

Thanks in advance!
Asumis

Post by Asumis » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:01 pm

No problem. Happy to answer the questions below. Submission logged me out so I lost what I wrote so honestly probably going to have pretty short versions for these answers now as opposed to the full responses I had earlier...

-I agree Destro CDs line up better for Azshara with VoP Major/Minor to give you that Infernal in P3 you otherwise don't get. What was your thought process behind running CLF and desyncing Infernal from CLF, skipping lining it up with the 3rd? Why not go VOP Major or MOLD major with Flame/Conflict minor instead? I don't think there's a wrong answer but curious your rationale.

We were having issues mid prog with P2 damage to push before the Beckon the 2nd intermission. CLF gave me more damage during that push, especially with possible Beckon in that window as the Guardian will still do damage vs. MOLD window being wasted. We didn't start BoPing those Beckons until the end of prog, so getting Beckon in that moment would've rendered MOLD Major useless. It's a pretty tight window for that CD in order for it to be up again for 2nd add set so delaying Infernal to see how Beckon played out wouldn't have worked. MOLD Major is a fine choice too but I was already overflowing with shards in that time due to the Immolate rolling on Devoted adds and that was the most critical window for us to push so CLF made more sense. Desyncing at the end wasn't a huge deal to me due to the fact that our group in particular needed more damage in a specific window.

VOP Major is fine but I'm not a big fan of RNG cooldowns. They tend to not work in my favor and proc in really untimely windows. Also, we needed damage at a specific point so relying on RNG isn't ideal.

-Curious you guys were prepotting P1 Azshara since we ended up holding DPS all the time anyways.
Yeah, I think that was muscle memory. For sure during the beginning of our prog I wasn't prepotting and the guild definitely mentioned the need not to since we had to hold DPS in P1 already. I think as we got closer to a kill, i started prepotting just out of force of habit and there wasn't a conscious reminder of it at that point.

WCL shows you running Write in Agony on all your Zaqul kills - with only 1 Sudden Onset that's probably not worth (and even with wouldn't be due to how much you lose on boss damage). What was your thought process? https://puu.sh/EqhKO/c731644c33.png
I forgot about that I guess. Thinking back I think WiA was more represented when we were progging, as opposed to now, which is all AC/SL. 77% of our prog pulls on Za'qul i was Demo so I really didn't have many pulls as Aff tbh. I think I went with WiA because of gearing reasons. I had 1xID on my gear no matter what and had the option to go to 2xID. My thought process here was to just run WiA with 2xID to funnel ID stacks into the boss. If I ran AC, I wouldn't be as inclined to Agony the adds since they died so quickly and Corr would be a higher priority with that build. With WiA, the priority changes to Agony so I'm able to force myself to roll Agonies on all the adds, which helped build up ID stacks to funnel.

It netted more boss damage and did good add damage, which we needed at times, versus my option at the time of 1-2xID AC. I don't think WiA loses ST damage vs. AC in my instance when you account for ID. I wouldn't consider SL on this fight during prog because I don't have 2x or 3x WB/CC and we definitely needed more add damage sometimes.

I ran the same setup for the kills after because Za'qul was by far our hardest prog boss and I just wanted to keep it the same so we could get through it to Azshara.

-If you had access to all Azerite you could, would you still run the same setup on Azshara Destro?
Yes, I'd still run the same setup if we still had issues with the P2 push. In an ideal world, I maybe would switch to MOLD Major, but to be honest, I don't think I'd say CLF is worse than MOLD for sure in an ideal world, even with the desync at the end. I would probably use CLF at the 6-7min mark so I could get an extra use at the end rather than what I did by losing a cast to line up with lust. But I've tried both ways and it came out to maybe 100K damage difference.

VOP Major is the easiest to run since it's passive, but again, I don't like RNG so I tend to not use stuff like that unless it's far and away better.

-We started recently doing 1 Echo speed burns of Zaqul and putting Locks in the Delirum Realm for the Echo. We go down with the Puncture at 3:30ish and stay in until we get knocked out. If you had any build choice here between Azerite/spec/essences, what do you feel you would run?
It's hard for me to tell since I don't know the exact timings of a strat like that, but based on what you have here, I'd run one of the two setups:

1) Demo 3xBI 1xSC, VOP Major/MOLD/Purification, Conduit, Dark Pact, Mortal Coil
- If I have two delirium windows, since the 3:30ish should be the 2nd, I would choose this setup for the biggest amount of damage during those two windows. Soul Conduit for the lotto rolls on this damage window. This setup is the only one that can net me two CD usages in that window. DP/MC will help with sustain in the delirium realm if I'm trying to stay as long as I can.

2) Destro 2-3xRH, 2xFP, 1x CC, 0-1x BF/CI, VOP Major/MOLD/Iris or Strife, DP, MC
- If it's just one window at the 3:30ish mark, I'd probably consider running this setup. FH stacks should be really high here with the increased haste and visions, FP should be really easy to maintain a good uptime on, rest just helps with the big ST window. VOP major also should net another Infernal usage.
Palin
The Professor

Post by Palin » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:16 pm

Thanks! Sorry you lost your submission, usually if you hit the back button a few times it saves it in the cache. If it happens again:
Yes, I'd still run the same setup if we still had issues with the P2 push. In an ideal world, I maybe would switch to MOLD Major, but to be honest, I don't think I'd say CLF is worse than MOLD for sure in an ideal world, even with the desync at the end. I would probably use CLF at the 6-7min mark so I could get an extra use at the end rather than what I did by losing a cast to line up with lust. But I've tried both ways and it came out to maybe 100K damage difference.

VOP Major is the easiest to run since it's passive, but again, I don't like RNG so I tend to not use stuff like that unless it's far and away better.
Sorry I was curious about Azerite here. Since RH is useless in the last phase I was curious if you'd keep this Azerite set up or go something different if had access to any Azerite combo? Thanks!
Asumis

Post by Asumis » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:06 am

Oh sorry, I misread that question then.

Hmm, that's a difficult question to answer because it really depends on the situation, unless I'm misunderstanding the question here. If in this scenario, add damage didn't matter but boss damage did, then I'd consider switching it up to more of a pure ST setup like 3xCC with 2xCI BF/FP or something. If there weren't any checks or timings to hit on either the adds or the boss, I'd probably still stick to the same setup as it provides strong damage in both scenarios (the increased ST damage from FH/FP in the first few phases makes up for what I would've gotten going pure ST, even with no value in the last phase).

If it's keeping the fight as is, which means add damage is important, then yea I'd still keep it the same honestly. Even though both FP and RH have no value at the end, the value it provides in helping taking the adds down in a timely manner still is significant.