Simtrik - Monk

Want to join? Post your application here.

Moderator: Officer

simetrik

Simtrik - Monk

Post by simetrik » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:54 am

Before answering your standard set of questions, I'll make an important disclaimer - I'm just coming back to the game after about a year off, and am leaning heavily on my past experience in multiple top 30 guilds, including being an officer in one of them. My monk's gear sucks, and I have no current logs. It's a pain to catch up with a limited community (most of my friends have quit), so I'm applying a little earlier in the catch up process than I probably should. With that in mind, here's the application:

1. Character name, Server

Simtrik, Bleeding Hollow

2. Class, Race, and Spec (and Artifact Level)

Monk, Blood Elf, Brewmaster (57 but increasing rapidly)

3. Link to an Armory profile, and an explanation of anything that may not be readily apparent from your Armory profile (alternate sets of gear, currently PvP-specced, etc.)

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... ow/Simtrik
See the disclaimer above - you won't get much from looking at this.

4. What are your usual playing hours? Are there days/times when you are consistently unavailable? Inform us of your daily work/school schedule, what time do you get home from work/school, and what time must you be in bed for the next day. Are you able to make our raid times in general? Is this availability going to change within the next few months, or with a change in Semester (if applicable)?

I usually get home around 7:30pm EST, and I usually go to bed around 11:30pm EST. Not many raiding schedules work for me. This will not change for the foreseeable future (it's a direct function of my work schedule, which is steady).

5. Discuss your prior endgame raiding experience. Specify your experience with Heroic/Mythic in previous content as well as your experience in the current tier.

BC - T14: Casual guilds, but I was around and did the content slowly.
ToT: US100 25M with <Vex>
Siege: US102 25M, same guild
Highmaul: US 59, same guild
BRF: cleared with <Defenestrate>, US42, then <Encore>, US12
HFC: <Void>, US31
EN: US48, same guild (US31 on Cenarius, #mondayraids)
ToV: US66, same guild
NH: US68, same guild
ToS: didn't play
Antorus: US129, same guild, left for <Addiction> after Argus, US33.

<Addiction> imploded after a few weeks in Uldir.

6. Why do you want to leave your current guild? Why do you want to join us? Specifically, what interests you in our band of merry idiots?

I'm interested mostly because the times work well, the group seems mature, and the performance is good.

7. Give us some info on your class knowledge and self performance analysis in this section:
7a. What resources and practices do you use to keep up with your class and maximizing your DPS/HPS/Surivability?

Watching streams and generally maintaining awareness of the "tank meta" is crucial to playing your best. My biggest moment of fame (said with a much needed dose of sarcasm) came when I was the first to publicly log the BoS build in BRF, topping meters as a tank post-vengeance:

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/17 ... -Frost-now

I believe maintaining this awareness of the tank meta is one of my greatest strengths as a player.

7b. What fights in the current tier do you swap Talents and Traits to something different than the norm (if at all)? What do you swap and why? Feel free to list on a boss per boss basis.

There's not much to swap as a monk in this tier. The build is pretty standardized across all types of content, with the only variation being Eye of the Tiger / Chi Burst.

7c. How do you analyze your performance on a new fight and figure out how/what you can improve on next week? Don't just say you use logs and compare to others of your class - what specifically are you looking for when you have a good/bad parse?

From a damage taken perspective, comparing purify timing to your spikes is the most relevant. Evaluating when ISB can be dropped in lieu of more purifies can make a huge difference (e.g. one fairly well known example is Darkee's purifies on Fetid).

Generally speaking, most of my parses in the past have come from comparing ability cast counts.

8. Please include your character log report showcasing your performance on the relevant bosses of the tier. If your logs are private, please change your Warcraftlogs login and list the username/password here so we can access your logs. If you aren't comfortable listing it publicly, please PM it to Palin privately on these forums. Please remember to change your WCL login again a few days later after we've reviewed your application.

I'm purposefully going to overload here, since my ability to play multiple classes is one of my selling points.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... fficulty=4 [I'm hesitant to even include this, but it shows that I have technically raided in this xpac...]
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... ik#zone=17
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... e=detailed

9. Of the above logs, please do a quick analysis of what fights you did well on, what went wrong on certain fights, etc. Use this chance to explain any context behind good/bad logs.

There's a lot of breadth here. Hopefully the consistently good performance over many years speaks for itself when it comes to my self-evaluation.

10. Can your PC handle WoW at high effects (Lust, Scorp Room, etc.)?

Yes.

11. Please include a SS of your raiding UI. IF A KEYBINDING IS NOT SHOWN ON YOUR FRAME, PLEASE EXPLAIN AND list any relevant keybinds not shown in the screenshot. If you're using something like a Razer Naga, please explain that. We are going to question if your keybind for a personal defensive is something like "9" - so help us understand why that is.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/262018780

I also bound the raid markers to SHIFT-ALT-[1-6].

12. Tell us a bit about yourself. Age, gender, work/school, hobbies, etc. Add anything else you feel is pertinent.

I'm a 24 year old analyst working at an NYC hedge fund. When I'm not playing WoW, I like to go backpacking on the weekends.

13. Out-of-game contact information - Discord tag, Battle.net ID, etc. Some way we can contact you besides these forums.

Discord: simetrik#0793

Again, I acknowledge that this application is fairly unusual and I'm asking for a bit of faith that I'll stick around. Hopefully, my past performance will be a clear indicator that I can be a valuable addition to the guild. Thanks for your consideration.
Foojeezy

Re: Simtrik - Monk

Post by Foojeezy » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:40 am

Hey brother, we'll be looking through your app internally and will post any questions we have. Thank you for the interest.
Palin
The Professor

Post by Palin » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:47 am

Hi Simtrik, thanks for your interest with us and taking the time to apply.

I'd like to know your philosophy on tanking progression and the approach you take with your gear/traits/legos/talents etc. You linked a bunch of orange parses for tanks which in my experience usually means the player is a padding whore who doesn't give a shit about actual Effective Health and just wants a nice big number next to his DPS parse. Usually these types of tanks sacrifice their own survival for bigger DPS, especially early prog where actual damage intake and External Healing Required per second matter.

Now yes there's a few fights where tanks need to maximize DPS in the name of a berserk but they are few and far between. Fetid was the only one I can think in recent memory. In other places running double DPS trinket and essences and legos usually just mean you're doing a bit more DPS and your healers are doing a bit less keeping you healed.

Looking at some of your choices I see that same mentality I've seen in hundreds of tank apps before you. Defensive for prog and then immediately parse mode. For example looking at your Argus logs I see you went defensive Legos for first kills but immediately went full DPS mongo for 2nd kills. Were your second kills always so easy that you could immediately sacrifice a ton of defensive abilities for some more Keg Smash damage? What was your thought process behind these decisions?

Likewise in Uldir, first week why'd you choose to go for Fathoms DMC over Blockades? G'huun Heroic tank damage was no pushover that first week - curious what your mindset was here?

If you can remember as far back as Gul'dan, I'm surprised to see your Bear going full DPS mode on US 65-70ish progression. What's the mindset of going Cinidaria over something like Archimonde's or Ekowraith for increased survival? What did Brambles give you on that fight over Bristling Fur during Fel Scythes? Again not saying you're wrong, but I'm curious the mindset.

Appreciate your time.
simetrik

Post by simetrik » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:07 am

Hi Palin, thanks for your question.

It sounds stupid to say it explicitly, but I think each decision to increase DPS has to be made marginally. So, I'll address each point specifically:

1) Fathoms gave a ~6-8% damage increase over a random stamina proc / small heal from Blockades. EHP on a monk is pretty low priority with how stagger currently works, plus, this is a proc, not on use, so it's likely that some of these procs go to waste. FWIW, I had the second best survivability on that night where we first killed H G'huun:
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/nh ... =0&wipes=1
An example of going full mongo (in my eyes) would have been to get three of those WW tiger palm traits and go BoC, at the cost of losing High Tolerance. That would have made a clear difference in my damage profile, at the cost of negligible DPS gain.

2) Argus is a weird example because I went straight from ~US130 progression to US30 farm. So, this was a strange case where the second kill objectively did get much easier. Also, immediately going full dps in <Addiction> was a way to impress the GM. He definitely did care about parses - when they promoted me to an officer, they actually quoted the fact that five of my alts were in the top ten tanks for the server.

3) Not many excuses here - this is especially valid criticism. Some of this was due to limited legendary choice due to main swapping - I'm fairly sure I would have worn Archimonde's over Cinidaria if I had had it. More generally, I think I still had a bit of the mentality from previous expansions - in all MoP tiers, BRF as a blood dk, and HFC as a prot paladin, I think a "DPS at all costs" mentality paid off, since the potential was so high. Since the start of Legion, this is clearly no longer the case.

To address your point more holistically, I acknowledge that there are a lot of padding idiots out there. I think that the importance of a tank's parse has gone down dramatically since a few expansions ago. In my defense, I don't think maximizing damage necessarily has to be at odds with survivability. For example, with how monk currently works, if you focus on casting keg smash and blackout kick on cooldown, you will probably get a good parse regardless of your setup and maximize your brew generation + EB stacks.

Generally, in the current meta, it's not worth it to make aggressive damage-oriented choices for your character. However, regardless of the current meta, I think it's worth it to have a player who is constantly looking for marginal ways to improve his/her performance.
Palin
The Professor

Post by Palin » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:40 pm

Thanks so much for the detailed reply!
In my defense, I don't think maximizing damage necessarily has to be at odds with survivability. For example, with how monk currently works, if you focus on casting keg smash and blackout kick on cooldown, you will probably get a good parse regardless of your setup and maximize your brew generation + EB stacks.
Oh of course, no one isn't saying to maximize casts. That's going to give you better DPS and more Brews like you said. The choices come with Essences/Legos/Trinkets/Talents.

Most of your app equates performance with DPS parsing. In my estimation it's only 10% of what makes a good tank a good tank - tells us nothing about positioning, survival tricks, raid utility etc. Tank performance and what separates an average tank from amazing one is so much more than orange numbers. Sometimes they're negatively correlated even.

In addition to that, your app is relatively low effort what we look for. You kinda just dumped your good logs from years ago and ignored the question about analyzing them. Yes you showed you know how to push buttons as a high level. No you didn't show what we actually look for in that question - how do you analyze your performance and problem solve issues as they arise?

So I'd like to know more about your adjustments throughout your tanking career to help healers out or keep yourself alive. I know you're digging into the memory banks here, but anything you can remember about an adjustment or tactic you made from a defensive standpoint that helped ensure a kill? Or did into those logs you linked yourself and show us some analysis skills of what made a particular kill a strong performance for you (NOT on a DPS level).

I'd also like to ask a little about your history. It looks like you've taken breaks from the game once a xpac or so. We hate recruiting tanks and evaluating, they're the worst. What assurances do you have for yourself have that you're not going to quit at the end of this xpac or early next xpac similar to ToS or Uldir?

Thanks again for your time!
Palin
The Professor

Post by Palin » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:40 pm

One last thing to the above - we really can't even consider you for a Trial until you're 415+ to step into Mythic. We don't run Heroic anymore and have little interest in doing so. If you're truly interested in this spot you will have to keep working on your character a bit to catch up to a point we could bring in for a Trial. It takes almost no effort in the game right now to get a character to 415+, so that would be our expectation. I know its a pain to catch up, but honestly its really not that hard. We aren't in the business of boosting people, so we'll need to see you put your own effort into getting your dude Mythic ready even if we offer a Trial.

Between the apping at ilvl 398 to the ignoring the analysis question, the unintentional optics here are that you're lazily hoping your past success will get you a ride somewhere without putting in the required effort. I'm sure that's not what you're aiming for, but it is a perception being generated. We'll need to see you put some work into your character and thoughtfully answer the questions in my past post if you want to dispel that perception.
simetrik

Post by simetrik » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:34 pm

Adjustments

I'm going to include a few utility adjustments as well as defensive adjustments. Frankly, there aren't that many fights that require defensive adjustments in any given tier, especially when you reach them a few weeks after the top guilds.

1) I went back to ToS and got 4pc on my monk for Argus (this lowered stagger by 5% when you consumed a healing orb). After a few trial pulls, this turned out to be a net loss compared to the stats on the mythic Antorus gear I had available, so you won't see this in the kill log. However, it was a significant investment into a possible defensive gain.

2) I repeatedly swapped between guardian druid and monk on Imonar based on my guild's desires - guardian gave roar, but monk was much better at clearing the bridge as fast as possible. Having both alts ready offered significant utility. (We didn't need it on progression, but I also had a dk available for Aggramar, and I frequently did that job on farm in Addiction.) When I played my monk on Imonar, I iterated through a few defensive legendary setups and even regemmed for stamina at one point, since waiting for the rest of the raid with all of those stacks was so punishing.

3) Bristling Fur on KJ (I snuck in cutting edge in one of the last weeks it was available on my druid). To be fair, that talent was so powerful for the fight it would have been crazy not to take it.

Like you said, this was all a while ago, so I'm probably missing some other adjustments that I made. This is also just for Antorus + the very end of ToS. It seems like you like long answers, but to avoid reading fatigue for others I'll provide further examples on request.

Analysis

As you can probably relate in a 10-hour guild, it's best to solve problems preemptively by carefully studying what players in better guilds are doing when you're not on the bleeding edge of progression. Naturally, if you're mirroring someone else's behavior, it's best to follow up after the raid night and compare how you did.

Certain problems don't necessarily fall into this bucket. One example is Varimathras - I was concerned about the large spikes of magic damage, so I planned out my defensives (I was playing druid at the time, so I had Barkskin, RotS, Wall, Archimonde's, Sac (hpal), PS (disc), and GS (holy)). I can evaluate my coverage for shadow strikes, the most dangerous ability in the fight, using pins:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Fn ... ity=243960

My damage taken was relatively smooth, especially compared to my co-tank (who I respect and admire, but unfortunately is the easiest target when looking back a year and a half :^)):

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Fn ... &source=11 [me]
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Fn ... 9&source=2 [cotank]

And my time alive was among the best in the raid:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Ac ... =0&wipes=1 [taken from someone who personal logged the whole night, the previous kill log was "advanced" but unfortunately partial]

Time Off

For ToS, I was hiking 2600 miles across the country on the Pacific Crest Trail. If I want a semblance of a career, I won't be doing that again in the near future. For Uldir, this was mostly driven by my lack of motivation to find a new guild. In general, both these absences happened in that turbulent transition period between college and employment - now that I'm more established at my current job, there's no reason for an extended absence from the game.

Lack of Gear

I completely understand where you're coming from. Hopefully my disclaimer at the beginning of my application reinforces this.

I think 415 is quite generous, honestly. This was more about jumping on an opportunity while it's available - not many guilds have schedules that work for me. Should a trial make sense, I figured that I could at least start getting to know people in the guild while I caught up. My ultimate goal is not just a short-term carry.
simetrik

Post by simetrik » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:43 pm

Forgot to work this in somehow - I'm usually one of the most involved people when it comes to raid strategy. In <Void> I would typically write out long posts summarizing the abilities / PTR testing results before raid release. Of course, most of the guild wouldn't actually read it... but it at least helped my own preparation.
Palin
The Professor

Post by Palin » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:44 pm

Thanks Sim, appreciate your time and answers!
Palin
The Professor

Post by Palin » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:32 pm

Hey Sim, I added you on Discord to connect sometime over this weekend.
simetrik

Post by simetrik » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:44 pm

Sounds good - I’ll be offline until tomorrow around noon but look forward to connecting sometime after then.