Pyrroh - Holy Paladin

Want to join? Post your application here.

Moderator: Officer

Pyroh

Pyrroh - Holy Paladin

Post by Pyroh » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:19 am

1. Character name, Server

Pyrroh - Aerie Peak

2. Class, Race, and Spec (and Artifact Level)

Paladin, Lightforged Draenei, Holy (60 neck)

3. Link to an Armory profile, and an explanation of anything that may not be readily apparent from your Armory profile (alternate sets of gear, currently PvP-specced, etc.)

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... eak/pyrroh (will hopefully be logged out in holy gear but i generally WQ farm as ret)

4. What are your usual playing hours? Are there days/times when you are consistently unavailable? Inform us of your daily work/school schedule, what time do you get home from work/school, and what time must you be in bed for the next day. Are you able to make our raid times in general? Is this availability going to change within the next few months, or with a change in Semester (if applicable)?

I usually log on around 7ish est after I get home from work and grab something to eat. My weekend schedules vary on Saturday but I'm always free on Sunday evenings. I try to get to sleep on work nights by 12:30ish. The raid times are very good for me -- one of the reasons (on the minor side) that I'm interested in Spike Flail is that raids end by 11 instead of midnight or later. I don't foresee my schedule changing (stable job and verrrry rarely have to work past 7).

5. Discuss your prior endgame raiding experience. Specify your experience with Heroic/Mythic in previous content as well as your experience in the current tier.

TBC - up to Muru pre-3.0 -- mage
WotLK - Naxx, 3 drake, Ulduar hard modes (US top 50 w/ Seriously Casual on Sargeras) -- rdruid
MoP - Heroic SoO (some US top 50s) -- rdruid
Legion - Antorus (9/11m - friends guild) -- rdruid
BfA - 8/8m (rogue/lock), 9/9m (rshammy), 2/2h, 5/8m (hpally)

6. Why do you want to leave your current guild? Why do you want to join us? Specifically, what interests you in our band of merry idiots?

I recently joined Fierce and I don't think the mentality and fit works for me. It partially comes down to what you've talked about in your wowprog and the interview from your GM linked in the about us post. The leadership style is definitely what I would call 'rage-to-victory' - yell at your raiders enough that they do the fight correctly. Not my thing. I left my prior guild (Unscuffed on Sargeras) because of immaturity and a lack of leadership, coordination, teamwork, and preparation by the group and raid leads. What attracts me to Spike Flail is a long history of success and stability but as, if not more importantly, the idea that you can work together as a team of adults/raiders, have a good time, treat each other with respect, and work out these challenges that Blizz has put in front of us. I prefer to heal because of the coordination, communication, teamwork, and synergy that a good healing team has and would love to be a part of a full group with a similar mindset and approach.

7. Give us some info on your class knowledge and self performance analysis in this section:
7a. What resources and practices do you use to keep up with your class and maximizing your DPS/HPS/Surivability?

The pally discord is great and has many of the people who developed glimmerdin as active participants. Questionably Epic (and QElive) is also a good resource. I mainly watch twitch videos (or youtube) of other healers to see how they approach the fight (and peep their AA/ERT) and study warcraftlogs to see how other healers (paladins this tier) are approaching their CDs and what dmg intake looks like on the fight (and where death risk points are). I try to analyze my own play against logs from guilds that have similar kill time and/or healing comps to see how I'm doing.

7b. What fights in the current tier do you swap Talents and Traits to something different than the norm (if at all)? What do you swap and why? Feel free to list on a boss per boss basis.

Current tier sees pretty static choices for glimmerdin, as the build has pretty specific requirements. I guess the biggest change on a fight this tier would be running Void Stone on Queen's Court (now that I have one).

7c. How do you analyze your performance on a new fight and figure out how/what you can improve on next week? Don't just say you use logs and compare to others of your class - what specifically are you looking for when you have a good/bad parse?

First and foremost is avoidable damage taken relative to others in the raid and in general. Trying to understand if my balance of healing and dps is on point. Hpally can toggle quite easily between dps and hps and seeing how others are doing that can be helpful, though that can be somewhat contextual based on specific healing comps, strats, etc. For my healing I'm mainly looking at if I'm lining up my CDs properly while keeping in mind the overall healing strat that we are running -- there may be optimizations or we might be doing fine and I'm just going to do a bit less healing, which is fine as long as we live.

8. Please include your character log report showcasing your performance on the relevant bosses of the tier. If your logs are private, please change your Warcraftlogs login and list the username/password here so we can access your logs. If you aren't comfortable listing it publicly, please PM it to Palin privately on these forums. Please remember to change your WCL login again a few days later after we've reviewed your application.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... eak/pyrroh

9. Of the above logs, please do a quick analysis of what fights you did well on, what went wrong on certain fights, etc. Use this chance to explain any context behind good/bad logs.

Abyssal -- still working out exact timing for when my 1st wings is best though that can be kinda tough we've just started yolo healing that
Blackwater -- I need to soak the beam more and could probably do better with maxing LoD hits and maxing dps. this past week i died stupidly without bubble up b/c i used it earlier.
Radiance -- I think I mostly do fine on radiance but could probably sneak in a bit more dps on the adds, I probably play that phase overly conservatively
Ashvane -- I get knocked up by the upsurge more than I'd like. I could also probably do more dps in some of the down phases in shield 1 and 1st intermission but with a new guild this past week I was just focused on keeping the soak tank up.
Orgozoa -- overall I was pretty happy with my Orgo pulls. I think I balanced dps and healing pretty well though my dps parse was a little low. My last AM could probably have been ~2 secs sooner but I believe we had barrier out then. pulls this week went well for the most part.

10. Can your PC handle WoW at high effects (Lust, Scorp Room, etc.)?

Yes my PC is relatively new and has no problems. Internet is also very stable.

11. Please include a SS of your raiding UI. IF A KEYBINDING IS NOT SHOWN ON YOUR FRAME, PLEASE EXPLAIN AND list any relevant keybinds not shown in the screenshot. If you're using something like a Razer Naga, please explain that. We are going to question if your keybind for a personal defensive is something like "9" - so help us understand why that is.

Make sure we can see everything that pops up in a raid, meaning take the SS in combat in LFR or something of the like so we can see your boss mods, timer positioning, WeakAuras, raid frames, etc.

https://imgur.com/eGLlPdT (prot to show WA/BW position)
https://imgur.com/a/nYM3iQl (holy UI ex. WA/BW) -- my healing spells, dispel, blessings, etc (ex. LoD) are on my mouse for mouseovers via Vuhdo (left/right/middle/side button and shift/alt/ctrl modifiers). I have my Vuhdo set up to turn people Pally pink when they have glimmer to make spreading it a quicker decision. Glimmer duration shown in the bottom left.

12. Tell us a bit about yourself. Age, gender, work/school, hobbies, etc. Add anything else you feel is pertinent.

Hi, i'm a 33 yr old dude that lives in NYC with my wife. I work in finance doing crap that's kind of hard to explain and certainly not interesting enough to take the time to do so. I love watching soccer and basketball, cooking from time to time, seeing theater, and playing WoW (and sometimes other games).

13. Out-of-game contact information - Discord tag, Battle.net ID, etc. Some way we can contact you besides these forums.

Piroh#1865 (bnet)
Pir0h#9577 (discord)
Khramps

Re: Pyrroh - Holy Paladin

Post by Khramps » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:03 pm

Hi Pyrroh thanks for taking the time to apply we really appreciate it. The healer guys will look over things when they get a chance.
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:24 pm

Okay thanks. Feel free to hit me up here or in bnet/disc.
Illuminaaru

Post by Illuminaaru » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:42 pm

Hi Pyrroh,

A few questions for you:

1) You mention about switching between healing and dps, but I see that you are not running cyclotronic blast on your trinket (instead opting for the haste buff). What is your thought process behind this choice?
2) Also, related to your damage, what do you think you could have done to improve damage on Ashvane/Orgozoa? These bosses (initially at least) had some very tight timings where every bit of dps can make the difference.
2) On both your first ashvane and orgozoa kill, I see that you didn't use Lay on Hands. Do you think you could have prevented any deaths by using it?

Thanks!
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:16 pm

Re the haste card, I'm not sure when I could get that haste card back if I switch for cyclo so I've stuck with it for now as it provides more hps (and still some dps). If I were to get a 445 jelly weed or deferred (maybe even a 430 defereed) I would probably swap cyclo in so I could switch between dps and healy trinkets, but especially right now on orgo i believe it is our healing that tends to be more of a bottleneck than dps (though maybe even then switching for cyclo might be worth i guess).

I think on ashvane I could push more dps in the first shield break and after the soak tank dies. Particularly after the soak tank dies my brain tends to still be in pump hps mode when really alot of that requirement just hit the floor. On orgo I should probably use my first wings downstairs for more damage than I tend to and could probably push more dps before i switch to mostly healing upstairs, though i do always use my first wings there primarily for dps. On both fights i could also do a better job of weaving in consecrates as opposed to HL or FoL along with keeping a glimmer up on the boss.

I tend to hold lay on hands on those fights for the tanks since they will take big spikes but there are absolutely points in both of those fights where I should be spending it once stacks of each debuff are high on the raid near the end. Just a bit of a mentality shift w that CD that I need to change at certain points. i'm not sure on the orgo kill if it would have saved either of the deaths as both of those dps'ers took unexpected melee hits from the adds in a very short time window, but i still should be using it. on ashvane i definitely should have used it on our brew.
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:08 pm

Hi just checking in to see if you guys had any questions or feedback. Thanks.
Palin
The Professor

Post by Palin » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:48 am

Hi Pyrroh, do you possibly have logs for your Sham and Rogue from BoD and Uldir? You're relatively new to Hpal so we want to see your performance in previous tiers. Thanks!
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:03 am

Sure see below. Just context around the swaps - I started the expac intending to dps and had a rogue and lock ready for uldir. Doing dungeons and early content I greatly preferred the rogue and decided to main that but then ghuun happened so I was brought it on the lock a bit. For BoD we were melee heavy and they wanted me to swap to ranged so i started working on a shaman because I dislike lock and over that time 2 healers left and so me healing on the shaman worked out. We had 2 shaman in Bod and decided that probably wasn't going to be amazing going forward so I volunteered to switch to pally.

Shaman https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... metric=hps
Rogue
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... ro#zone=19
Lock (ghuun slave)
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... artition=2
Palin
The Professor

Post by Palin » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:03 pm

Sorry for the delay, I see you joined Humble, best of luck over there!