Aleloon - Mistweaver Monk

Want to join? Post your application here.

Moderator: Officer

Aleloon

Aleloon - Mistweaver Monk

Post by Aleloon » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:56 am

1. Character name, Server

Aleloon - Kil’Jaeden (US)
Aelloonshamy - Kil’Jaeden (US)

2. Class, Race, and Spec (and Artifact Level)

Monk, Blood Elf, Mistweaver (Raid and Keys)/Windwalker (Mostly for keys, but could figure it out if needed) - I have not looked into Brewmaster at any point
Shaman, Zandalari Troll, Restoration (Raid)/Elemental (Keys) - Leveled as Enhancement, if it outperforms Elemental, I’d learn it as the offspec, but strongly prefer healing.

3. Link to an Armory profile, and an explanation of anything that may not be readily apparent from your Armory profile (alternate sets of gear, currently PvP-specced, etc.)

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... en/aleloon
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... lloonshamy

If I am logged out in DPS gear, I have multiple Azerite armor sets and trinket combinations for both characters. On the monk I generally run a 415 Conch & the Alchemy trinket. The shaman is new and only started getting gear as of Jaina CE - I have a 405 Conch and run either Paku’s or a Sliver depending on the fight - I have Alchemy on him as well, but haven’t crafted the BOD level one because it didn’t matter for our reclears and I wanted to save the tidalcores/expulsom for the 8.2 versions.

4. What are your usual playing hours? Are there days/times when you are consistently unavailable? Inform us of your daily work/school schedule, what time do you get home from work/school, and what time must you be in bed for the next day. Are you able to make our raid times in general? Is this availability going to change within the next few months, or with a change in Semester (if applicable)?

I have a regular day job - I work from 9:30 AM until 5:30 PM EST. Occasionally I do have to extend those hours, but in the past 18 months, I have only been at work past 7:30 PM one time. I will also know that is going to happen well in advance. I am currently taking classes and will continue to be in school as of this fall semester. I have gotten pretty good at time management and this does not typically impact my play time. If I do not have a personal engagement or a family matter going on, I usually am on between the hours of 7pm-10pm EST (minimum) when not raiding, 7pm-12am EST on raid nights. My schedule will not change in any impactful manner to my ability to raid.

5. Discuss your prior endgame raiding experience. Specify your experience with Heroic/Mythic in previous content as well as your experience in the current tier.

TOT 10 - 11/13H
SoO 10 - CE (also did mythic on launch)
HM - CE
BRF - 9/10 M
HFC - CE
EN - CE
TOV - CE (After NH dropped)
NH 9/10 M
TOS - Did not raid this tier
Antorus - CE
Uldir - CE
BoD - CE
COS - Heroic (lul) - Mythic was “too hard” for my guild to prog on - see the next section for more details

I started playing WoW in late BC - The only raids I cleared were Kara, Gruuls and ML. In Wrath and Cata I dabbled in semi-hardcore progression, but I was in Highschool at the time and did not have the ability to dedicate the time. When MoP dropped, I was in my freshman year of college and I attempted to step into true progression, but realized that I was not as good as I thought I was. Through BC and all the way up to Legion I raided as a Hunter, occasionally bringing in an alt in the more casual groups - Bear/DK tank and Holy paladin for a brief period - have not played any of the three since. I still did EN and TOV prog as a hunter, but swapped to the Monk for NH. I did okay as a Monk in NH, but didn’t really research and play properly until after a hiatus and returning in Antorus. This expansion is the first time I have the time and ability to play in a hardcore raiding enviornment.

6. Why do you want to leave your current guild? Why do you want to join us? Specifically, what interests you in our band of merry idiots?

At the start of this tier, I was approached by my GM to take a leadership role in the raid, and to take over as our healing officer. The success of our raid was my highest priority, but I was hesitant because I already possessed frustrations with the casual attitudes of several of our members. In the end, I elected to step up - my frustrations only grew due to several individuals with attendance problems as well as performance issues. This has come to a head during our reclears and initial step in to Mythic Crucible. When we finished up Jaina, we decided to take a week to get a short break from progression (it was a rough 7 weeks) - but then we decided to step into Crucible. About 7 of the 25 members of the team knew what was going on in the fight. Even though a majority of people came in blind, they still felt the fight was too hard to actually try and kill, let alone U’unat. Instead we decided to better prepare for AEP we would start attempting to do split clears for Mythic BoD. Of the 23 people who agreed and said they had alts ready to go, 18 of the characters were actually in any kind of acceptable gear level, and only about 15 have shown consistently for our Thursday raid. On top of that, several of the members have continuously gotten lazier and lazier with mechanics - prime example - we miraculously managed to kill Mythic Grong after missing 7 Apetagonizer casts. Due to difficulties recruiting on a lower population server like Kil’Jaeden, we don’t have great prospects to replace those who are problematic, but the RL/GM will not directly address those issues either. The lack of accountability is something that I can no longer overlook, I have lost my patience in raid, and it not an enjoyable environment for anyone involved.

I chose to app here for a couple reasons - the biggest two are the raid times and the server location. For a majority of my raiding career, I worked a sales job that had in morning and night shifts week to week, so my only option was to raid with a West Coast guild. Living on the east coast, that gives me unfavorable ping - So I am optimistic moving to a higher population and closer to home server. The other side is the increased amount of raid times - For most of my raiding career I have raided 9 hour per week guild. I want to be part of a more dedicated and serious group, without over allocating my time to raid. I feel that a 12 hour per week guild with later, but not overly late EST times fit those goals perfectly.

7. Give us some info on your class knowledge and self performance analysis in this section:
7a. What resources and practices do you use to keep up with your class and maximizing your DPS/HPS/Surivability?
7b. What fights in the current tier do you swap Talents and Traits to something different than the norm (if at all)? What do you swap and why? Feel free to list on a boss per boss basis.
7c. How do you analyze your performance on a new fight and figure out how/what you can improve on next week? Don't just say you use logs and compare to others of your class - what specifically are you looking for when you have a good/bad parse?

Talents:
I am only going to list details for my Monk here - I am happy to provide an answer for my Shaman upon request, but the reality is that I know Monk substantially better. In a raiding environment, there is a cookie cutter build of 3/3/3/3/2/1/2. I do swap between Chi Burst and Mist Wrap depending on the fight - Chi wave is never used. I like running Tiger’s Lust because it gives me personal utility while being able to assist others where necessary - both Chi Torpedo and Celerity are viable options depending on the fight. Lifecycles can be viable in a raiding environment, however, if used properly, Mana Tea will virtually always outperform lifecycles. Ring of peace is pretty standard due to the value of displacement abilities, however, I am sure Tiger Tail Sweep and and Song of Chi-Ji have their uses. Diffuse Magic is my prefered talent to run in BoD because pretty much every single boss has a hard hitting magic ability - Conclave is likely the only candidate to have a potentially higher value from Dampen Harm. Healing Elixir can be a very powerful tool, but it takes too much micromanagement to be efficient IMO. Summon Jade Serpent Statue and Refreshing Jade Wind (RJW) are the only other two talents that I change between on a regular basis. As a general rule I prefer running statue because it’s incredibly efficient spot healing - perfect to set and forget on a tank - but on a fight like Mekkatorque, it can be used to place a HoT on a target that eventually moves out of LoS - very valuable. RJW can be efficient on fights where you are stacked 90% of the time and there is constantly low ticking damage and not a massive requirement for targeted spot healing- Jadefire, Blockade and Jaina come to mind for this tier - its mostly used for MUH PARSE, generally.

I check Wowhead, QE, Wow Analyzer, and Peak of Serenity on a weekly basis. MW is very fortunate to have a very active theorycrafting community. I use these to determine stat weights, BiS azerite traits/combinations, and niche uses for the variety of Monk utility that I don’t immediately think of.

When I am progging on a boss that has several monks who have killed it prior to me stepping in - I like to look through their logs to look at Mana Tea timings, EF usage, and spot healing priorities - Mekkatorque gigavolt blast & charge are a prime example. I also like to compare my Azerite trait allocation to see where I can make adjustments to be better, however, the priority list is pretty simple - One FOL > One Uplifting > Any combination of SI/bonded/trecherous/extras of FOL and uplifting. As long as you have one of each for FOL and Uplifting, the remaining combination of azerite is not nearly as impactful as proper timings on Mana Tea, Potions, and EF. I don’t usually change traits unless there is a change in comp and I have to prioritize Priority vs raid healing. For progression on bosses without any other monks to reference, as well as review my own performance, I do my best to check each death, and the circumstances within. If there is time, I do this pull to pull, but if not, prior to the next raid I look to see what I was doing at the time, and what I might've been able to do differently.

A good example here is on Oppulence progression - we had several people who waited until after the fire started to move when the walls telegraphed where fire would be spit out. In response, I planned around popping my diffuse magic there, having RM on those targets, and a pre-channeled EF - then I would be able to spam them with Vivifys which would generally cover any of the damage they took. I also immediately noticed that we would lose people who had molten gold on them - rather than channeling into tanks or just efficiently spot healing - I focussed on getting out EM on those targets, since I covered the Shadow gem and would be topped mana each Wail - at the end of the tier I had a friend set me up with a weakaura that emphasized any priority healing target debuff around the frame - I do also track the debuffs, but the dancing highlight helps me focus them better. This is something I intend to have set up prior to Mythic this tier and on.

From a parsing perspective, the factors that limit the ability to parse for healers are execution and comp based. Its very hard to get a strong parse 5 or 6 healing a fight that can be 3 or 4 healed.

8. Please include your character log report showcasing your performance on the relevant bosses of the tier. If your logs are private, please change your Warcraftlogs login and list the username/password here so we can access your logs. If you aren't comfortable listing it publicly, please PM it to Palin privately on these forums. Please remember to change your WCL login again a few days later after we've reviewed your application.

I am going to DM the login details - we have all our reclears publically logged, however, we have first kills privately logged.

9. Of the above logs, please do a quick analysis of what fights you did well on, what went wrong on certain fights, etc. Use this chance to explain any context behind good/bad logs.

When I was forced into the position of raid leading, my execution of several mechanics were pretty weak on our early progression - especially in places where I had to hand hold our other healers - I died to buster cannon and sea swells more times that are justifiable in our early prog. Once we got past the walls of me having to call people’s CDs and dispels (even though they are always in an RT note ahead of time) I think I performed very well on Jadefire, Opulence, Rastakhan, Mekka, and Jaina. I delved into logs and really focussed on priority healing targets - focussed on tanks and debuff targets for spot healing, and did a solid job overall managing both mana and AoE throughput - I was also very on top of doing dispels on any given fight. I also tend to take on the special responsibilities within a fight if available, Jaina ballista, I solo heal downstairs on Rasta (when on shaman), I threw orbs on Grong prog, etc. My early prog on monk didn’t have the juiciest parses because we started the tier with a Paladin by the name of Shockwater. He has some mechanical challenges, however, he is one of the few Holy Paladins credited with innovating the Glimmer build - he both pumped and popped CDs wherever he wanted, regardless of efficiency or sniping other’s CDs.

Referenced Here https://questionablyepic.com/glimmer-of-light/

I do want to note - I feel comfortable calling specific interupts or dispels or mechanics in a general sense, however, when I have to do all three and name specific people and also maintain strong execution of mechanics and still have strong class performance - I start to lose the ability to keep track of everything.

10. Can your PC handle WoW at high effects (Lust, Scorp Room, etc.)?

Yes

11. Please include a SS of your raiding UI. IF A KEYBINDING IS NOT SHOWN ON YOUR FRAME, PLEASE EXPLAIN AND list any relevant keybinds not shown in the screenshot. If you're using something like a Razer Naga, please explain that. We are going to question if your keybind for a personal defensive is something like "9" - so help us understand why that is.

https://imgur.com/a/sdWqLws - this is my Shaman’s UI - I wanted to get the application up today, but our Shaman was late (again) so I ran Shaman tonight instead of Monk. The only difference comes to the auras for what I track in the middle of my screen and the clique/opie bindings I use. I really wanted to get this up today, and I didn’t have time to get a SS in raid on my Monk - I can DM one to Palin/post as a reply or w/e on this app tomorrow if you need it.

I have fewer things being tracked for Monk - the main details I watch are stacks of EF, allies in range not at max health, CD of RM, Mana and my defensives.

I have a majority of my Shaman’s utility totems, Cap/Tremor/Earthbind/Gotta go fast totem bound to my “c” key with an opie directional binding.

All my healing abilities are on my bars, but any targeted heal is bound to a clique binding. I have a Razer Naga trinity (12 button attachment for wow - I also have a backup in case a button stops working)

Monk bindings:
Extra Action Button - "G"
Left Click - Soothing Mist
Right Click - Enveloping Mist
Shift + Left Click - Renewing Mist
Shift + Right Click - Vivify
Mouse button 5 (front button behind scroll wheel) - any on use target trinket ex: Void Stone
Ctrl + Left Click - Cleanse
Ctrl + Right Click - Nothing bound - likely one of the use essences if relevant
Alt + Left Click - Brez (Engineer item - this was bound for druid originally)
Alt + Right Click - Tiger’s Lust
Nothing in combat bound for Opie for the Monk currently, but I have been playing with the idea of moving the various utility CCs to it - Ring/Sweep/Paralysis

Make sure we can see everything that pops up in a raid, meaning take the SS in combat in LFR or something of the like so we can see your boss mods, timer positioning, WeakAuras, raid frames, etc.

12. Tell us a bit about yourself. Age, gender, work/school, hobbies, etc. Add anything else you feel is pertinent.
I am 25 years old - I work as a service associate at a financial planning firm, but I am in training to be an Investment Advisor. World of Warcraft is my largest focus when it comes to gaming, but I also enjoy POE, the Borderlands series, Warhammer Total War 2, and other games. I have a group that I play D&D with on Sunday afternoons. I have a pretty big family, I spend a lot of time helping out with various things regarding them.

13. Out-of-game contact information - Discord tag, Battle.net ID, etc. Some way we can contact you besides these forums.

Btag: Aelloon#1963
Discord: Aelloon#6338
Palin
The Professor

Re: Aleloon - Mistweaver Monk

Post by Palin » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:52 am

Hi Aelloon, thanks for your interest with us and taking the time to apply. Your application is very well written and we appreciate the effort you put into it.

Some quick questions:

-What do you feel Monk's toolkit excels at in the raid vs other healers and where do you see Monk fitting in the healing paradigm on a 4-5 heal prog boss?
-Your DPS contribution is relatively low, what's your thought on fistweaving and MW damage contribution right now?

Thanks!
Aleloon

Post by Aleloon » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:21 am

Hey there,

Sorry for the delayed reply here.

For the first question - it really depends on the healing comp. That being said, I feel that Monk has the strongest spot healing potential of any of the healers at the moment. As I said in the app above, I personally like to focus on the required healing there - Grievous Axe targets, Broadsides, Motel Gold, Gigavolt Mechanics in general for BOD. I have looked at some of the PTR data for AEP, however, I have not fully researched all the fights. That is something that I am planning on starting this evening. I can go into that a little bit more once I have seen that information. With the interaction between Essence Font and MW mastery, we really excel at short windows of spread burst damage - Boats on Blockade are a great example. In between those periods, we have extremely strong priority target healing, that we can both control and spread - its pretty easy to effectively sustain 2/3 targets between Vivify cleaving into RM targets, and Jade Serpent Statue. The one place that Monks have struggled both this and last expansion is with Mana efficiency. WIth the new Mana regen essence, I think those issues are going to disappear and the greatest weakness of Monk is going to be reduced pretty substaintially. I also really like the flexibilty in the kit with the options to change azerite to prioritize spot healing vs AoE sustain. I need to do more research into the Well of Eternity, but currently I am not super optimistic because of the amount of smart healing monk's maintain, we don't do nearly the same level of over healing that you see from Disc priests and Holy Paladins. There is going to be potential ramp options with the healing Augment Essence, think EF > Mana Tea > Essence > Vivify Spam > EF massively buffed > continued Vivify spam with the double stacked Mastery. I suspect the best comps will be runnning MW/Druid, Disc Priest, Holy Paladin, Shaman with the option to add either another MW or Druid or Holy Priest for the 5 heal fights. The MW and Druid will largely fill the same role of priority healer with some Aoe flex, but a large amount of the raid healing will be covered through the continued strength of Glimmer/Disc memes and Shaman totems.

I do recognize that my damage output is pretty low overall - there are a couple of contributing factors for that. When on prog, especially where there is a tight damage check, I do my best to prioritize doing as much damage as I can, however, in a lot of cases, I find that when I use a global for damage purposes, there are quite a few occasions that I would've prefered to have the option to heal or use a utility ability instead. I usually try to channel Cracking Jade Lighting, rather than the substaintially greater damage potential of RSK > Punch > Punch > Punch > Kick (pray for the reset) > Repeat. The other main issue that I run into is the actual active requirements for a Monk to contribute damage - Every heal outside of RM (which should pretty much always be on CD) is a hard cast/channel. That means we only have the option to DPS or heal - we don't get the flexibility of throwing out DOTs that we can maintain through movement globals from instant casts like Druid/Shaman/Priest - I do acknowledge that they are fully capable of planning around those movement periods to maintain healing during those periods. Monk does have some options as long as I maintain my position in melee on the boss, and am moving with the boss, however, Monk's powerful movement capabilities allow me to get into position much faster than many other healers - at which point I can cover the healing requirements for their movement times.

The biggest issue for Monks DPSing right now is the opportunity cost of healing options in favor of doing damage. On top of that, the mana cost for DPSing usually results in a reduced mana generation (RSK and Spinning Crane Kick are both expensive). One of the interesting places I see potential for Monk fistweaving is with the PVP talent Essence - we are given Way of the Crane. This is 1.5 minute CD (might be +/- 30 seconds on that - I never PVP) that increases all damage done by 25% and heals three people near by for the damage done - its like a miniature shitty smart healing Disc Priest. Its VERY expensive - 25% of the mana pool, however, when prepared for properly EF > Mana Tea > Vivify Spam > Way of the Crane in the last second > TFT RSK > Punch > RSK > Punch > Punch > Kick > (Hopefully reset) > RSK would be a really powerful combination of abilities on the same ramp time as a Disc priest - we could fit in to a very similar niche where groups 5 heal with a shaman in DPS traits, brought only for the totems and Spouting healing. To be honest, I dread the thought that I'd need to spam PVP to farm out the essence to the best level, but I doubt this would be the highest DPS potential/healing combination possible. The reality is that unless they adjust the numbers tuning, there are too many required hard casts in Monk to be valuable as a DPS over something like a Disc priest or Holy paladin who bring a substaintial about of damage, that also directly contributes to their healing.
Palin
The Professor

Post by Palin » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:37 am

Hi Aleloon, thanks for your detailed response, appreciate the level of thought that went into it.

Your mechanics seem good and you have a good grasp of your toolkit. We'd like to see more a priority on tank healing as we feel it's one of Monk's strongest suits along with spot healing (which you do well). Some of your logs have you being beaten by Resto Shams on tank healing which isn't ideal!

We're going to finish up our current healer Trials and pass on your application at this time. We'll keep it on file and if something changes with our current Trials we'll be sure to contact you and follow up and see if you're still looking. For now though we'll say thank you for your time and consideration and wish you the best of luck with your search. Take care!