Coop - Elemental Shaman

Want to join? Post your application here.

Moderator: Officer

Coop

Coop - Elemental Shaman

Post by Coop » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:53 am

1. Character name, Server
Coop – Illidan (US)

2. Class, Race, and Spec (and Artifact Level)
Tauren Elemental Shaman @ Level 50

3. Link to an Armory profile, and an explanation of anything that may not be readily apparent from your Armory profile (alternate sets of gear, currently PvP-specced, etc.)
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... lidan/Coop
There are a few other azerite pieces that I will swap between for dungeons and such, but what you’ll find on the armory is what I’ve been using for Uu’nat progression, stacking lava shock alongside igneous potential. A sliver also might be substituted for situations/fights that can make use of it.

4. What are your usual playing hours? Are there days/times when you are consistently unavailable? Inform us of your daily work/school schedule, what time do you get home from work/school, and what time must you be in bed for the next day. Are you able to make our raid times in general? Is this availability going to change within the next few months, or with a change in Semester (if applicable)?
I’m usually online most nights, aside from Friday/Saturday which can be hit or miss. I’m finishing my final year of college and will be taking classes, but none should affect my raiding schedule aside from a night class I’m currently enrolled in that runs on Thursday nights. This class only runs until the middle of July and typically ends early, so it might or might not affect my availability. I won’t have problems like that in the future, this is just a one-off summer class.

5. Discuss your prior endgame raiding experience. Specify your experience with Heroic/Mythic in previous content as well as your experience in the current tier.
WoD
Started raiding in a heroic guild during BRF, played resto shaman. Slowly became more involved with the guild, getting better on a personal level and taking more leadership roles within the group. Ended up becoming a raid leader/officer in HFC, pushing into mythic as much as possible. I realized that this group of friends could only go so far, and so I left in search of a “real” mythic guild as I felt I had outgrown them. Joined <Avocado-Proudmoore> and got CE in HFC in the last couple months before legion.

Legion
I was with <Avocado> until sometime in NH when the guild died on Botanist progression. I still played resto shaman at the time and made friends that I went on to raid with again in BoD/CoS. We got CE in EN and 2/3M in ToV. That was the last time I healed full-time and in my next guild <Anger and Sarcasm-Darkspear> I played elemental and finished M NH a few days before ToS opened up. I joined this guild because a friend of mine was in it, but it wasn’t a great fit for me personality-wise, so I left heading into the next tier. I was picked up by <Serendipity-Korgath>, getting 8/9M and then wiping ~450 times on KJ almost killing the guild, but we started again in Antorus. Nevertheless, some of the same leadership problems continued and it was doomed to fail. Lasted about 1 month into Antorus before the guild disbanded. I was then recruited to <Melee Mechanics-Illidan> for the rest of the tier in which I received CE US 80th.

BFA
I was with <Melee Mechanics> towards the end of Uldir. This was a great experience for myself personally because it allowed me to play with Truefire, who if you don’t know, was one of the individuals who started Limit. I learned a lot from how he conducted recruiting, raid leading, and the guild in general. However, Uldir was not a great tier for elemental shaman, and even though I was one of the stronger players in the guild, I saw next to no time within the raid. This was very frustrating for me, and so I began to level/gear my mage, not because it was a particularly interesting class personally, but it was what the guild needed at the time. However, I took my time with the process as I knew I wouldn’t be playing until the next raid came out. This was seen by some of my guildies as a lack of dedication and they pled with Truefire to get rid of me in favor of bringing in other trails. This got to the point where it was either me or the group that wanted me gone was going to leave the guild and so it was myself who Truefire had to reluctantly let go. The guild did earn Hall of Fame at US 30th, but I really wasn’t a part of progression as I said. My logical next choice was to join <Warpath-Illidan> because of the friends from <Avocado> who were already there raiding. I played my mage with them for the end of Uldir and all of BoD aside from Jaina where I swapped back to my shaman. Earned CE in both of those raids and I plan to finish CoS with them.

6. Why do you want to leave your current guild? Why do you want to join us? Specifically, what interests you in our band of merry idiots?
Unfortunately, I’m having to leave because of their raid times just being too late for myself on the east coast. The raid times are specifically what has me interested in Spike Flail, alongside similar progression rankings. I was suggested your guild by a current guildie of mine by the name of Nomane who has raided with Spike Flail back in Legion.

7. Give us some info on your class knowledge and self performance analysis in this section:
7a. What resources and practices do you use to keep up with your class and maximizing your DPS/HPS/Survivability?

For DPS, it’s a combination of research from sims/logs/class websites with personally trying different talents/rotations/gear setups to see what appears to be the best. Not all setups are universally the best for every player/raid roster and so everything should be flexible to accommodate. When it comes to survivability, placing your life over your DPS meter obviously comes first, but as a previous healer, I understand that the timing of personal defensives with either certain mechanics or healing intensive phases can make a whole lot of difference.

7b. What fights in the current tier do you swap Talents and Traits to something different than the norm (if at all)? What do you swap and why? Feel free to list on a boss per boss basis.
A good example of this would be Uu’nat. For most of progression, I’ve taken the talent Surge of Power over Primal Elementalist and Icefury. At the time of writing this, 88% of elemental shamans who have killed the boss take Primal Elementalist. The reasons that you would take this talent is because it provides a stronger burst CD and simplifies the rotation relative to the other talents on that row. Now the reason I’ve taken Surge of Power is because its synergy with the fight’s mechanics. When multi-dotting adds for addition lava surge procs, the maelstrom generation is a lot higher than a standard patchwork fight, leading to more earth shocks which Surge of Power directly benefits from. This interaction is emphasized further when taking into consideration the Lava Shock azerite trait.

7c. How do you analyze your performance on a new fight and figure out how/what you can improve on next week? Don't just say you use logs and compare to others of your class - what specifically are you looking for when you have a good/bad parse?
Most of my analysis is just through critical thinking. I tend to think of optimizations on how to position better, how to avoid mechanics more easily, and how to help the group with where we are struggling. When I’m looking at a good/bad parse, I generally look at the number of mechanics the individual had to deal with, this tends to show why the person had a strong/poor performance assuming equal gear and rotation. If this doesn’t show anything, then of course, looking at gearing, talent setups, raid comp, kill time, etc. all play a role in the overall parse.

8. Please include your character log report showcasing your performance on the relevant bosses of the tier. If your logs are private, please change your Warcraftlogs login and list the username/password here so we can access your logs. If you aren't comfortable listing it publicly, please PM it to Palin privately on these forums. Please remember to change your WCL login again a few days later after we've reviewed your application.
Shaman - https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... fficulty=5
Mage - https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... artition=1

9. Of the above logs, please do a quick analysis of what fights you did well on, what went wrong on certain fights, etc. Use this chance to explain any context behind good/bad logs.
Let’s take the first kill of Stormwall Blockade on my shaman.
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/vZ ... 8#fight=34
At the time, I was using the best talent setup that I could, as I didn’t have any lava shock traits. On this fight I did a good job of controlling my movement on both the boat and the dock, managing sea swell effectively by stacking it. Where I thought I could have done better was in my flame shock usage. I didn’t always have it on the adds as soon as they were up, and at times it fell off when switching around to sirens.

10. Can your PC handle WoW at high effects (Lust, Scorp Room, etc.)?
Yes. Current setup is an i5-8600K, GTX 1070ti, with 16GB of RAM @ 1440p.

11. Please include a SS of your raiding UI. IF A KEYBINDING IS NOT SHOWN ON YOUR FRAME, PLEASE EXPLAIN AND list any relevant keybinds not shown in the screenshot. If you're using something like a Razer Naga, please explain that. We are going to question if your keybind for a personal defensive is something like "9" - so help us understand why that is. Make sure we can see everything that pops up in a raid, meaning take the SS in combat in LFR or something of the like so we can see your boss mods, timer positioning, WeakAuras, raid frames, etc.
This SS is from Legion, but nothing has changed really. A few notes I’ll make here is that all the WA’s shown are made my myself as I like to tweak things exactly to my liking, and that I track externals even as a DPS because I’ve played with many tanks who basically refuse to call for them. https://imgur.com/a/UVVM28H
All my action bars are hidden typically but are shown here. https://imgur.com/a/jOyazSh
I use a Logitech 600 MMO mouse along with shift and control modifiers for all my keybinds. For reference: https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/product ... mouse.html

12. Tell us a bit about yourself. Age, gender, work/school, hobbies, etc. Add anything else you feel is pertinent.
I’m a 22-year-old male, soon to be 23. I currently go to work and school part-time pursing a degree in Computer Science, recently switching from Computer Engineering. I do play a few games outside of WoW, but even when WoW is in a slow period, I still find “casual” things to do in the game. For example, I have every enchanting pattern in the game and both the insane and loremaster titles. I still play soccer and go to the gym when I find the time to.

I’d like to add that yes, I am putting in this app now, but I would like to finish off Uu’nat with my current guild if possible. Even though they could fill my spot, it isn’t like me to leave a group outright without wrapping things up with them first. They are aware that I’m leaving, and we should have it down within the next week at max in my opinion. (Finally getting consistent P3 attempts thank god lol)

If you guys have any desire to talk to my previous/current raid leaders/GMs about myself, I’d be happy to point you their way.

13. Out-of-game contact information - Discord tag, Battle.net ID, etc. Some way we can contact you besides these forums.
Discord – Coop#9477 <- Best way to contact me
Btag – Blakecoop#1547
Khramps

Re: Coop - Elemental Shaman

Post by Khramps » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:11 pm

HI Coop thanks for taking the time to apply we appreciate it. From looking at some of your Uu'nat logs someone pointed out that when you do your annihilation your always at full health instead of doing it at lower health and causing less raid damage. Is this just how your raid leader prefers it to be done or did you choose to take a very safe route instead of trying to kill adds in 1 or 2 ticks?
Coop

Post by Coop » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:06 am

Hey Khramps thanks for the timely reply. There's a few reasons as to why I've been doing it this way. First off, I'm killing myself with the Obscurity and so and it does kill me in 1 or 2 ticks which isn't too much damage. But the main reason is that, at least with our group, it was more beneficial to use the storm for a longer period of time to guarantee that the adds were dying before I did, so yes, we took the safe route. This is how my RL wanted it to be done to answer your question and I'm not sure if our add damage is lower or not focused enough compared to other groups, but that's what we we've found works best for us.
Palin
The Professor

Post by Palin » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:46 am

Thanks Coop - what's your thoughts and reason on running Surge vs Primal Elementalist on Uu'nat?

I'm looking through your logs from various points of the tier and don't see any Coastal Healing Potion (or Continuous Curing gem) used. Are you aware these don't share a CD with Healthstone? While they're not as powerful as in Uldir due to rising HP pools they still are another tool for surviability. Any specific reason?

Thanks in advance!
Coop

Post by Coop » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:36 pm

The options for that talent row are all decent choices. It basically comes down to your secondary stats/simming, as well as the play style you prefer. Icefury will provide more movement options but generally isn't taken due to the increase in lava surge procs on that fight, supplementing your movement with lava bursts instead of the frost shocks from Icefury. Primal Elementalist provides a stronger burst cd and the simplest rotation of the 3. This is great when aligning it with pots and lust in P3. Another thing to note about this fight is the fact that I'm' sacrificing myself with the tempest, and get the use of 3 pots on this fight, allowing me to use PE with a pot, almost every time. However, the reason that I went with Surge of Power is its flexibility. Yes the extra overloads on lightning bolt are nice, especially when paired with Stormkeeper, but the ability to dot 2 things at a time allows for less dot management, and more uptime on Uu'nat himself. This effect is even greater in P2 where we can dot the Mindbenders, allowing me to put out 4 flame shocks in the same time period where PE would only yield 2. Something to note about my guild's P2's is that typically our Guardian damage is very low relative to the Mindbenders and so I generally spend my time in that phase single targeting the Guardians which is why I even bother dotting them in the first place. To be clear, all these talents have relatively similar dps, gear differences aside, and there isn't a clear winner by any means.
As for my health pot usage, I'll agree with you that I've neglected it. I know that they are a separate cd, unlike other expansions, and I do carry them on me, but I never gave them a keybind of their own to use. In retrospect, I could have even just macro'ed it in with my healthstone and gotten some benefit out of it. I'd say my healthstone usage is fine, this is just something I forgot.
Coop

Post by Coop » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:42 am

Hey all, any update or thoughts on things? Just wanted to give an update myself, I have now killed Uu'nat and I'm free to leave whenever now.

Here are the logs of the kill if you're interested.
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Hg ... &target=40

Feel free to hit me up on discord for anything too, I'd be happy to answer any questions or address any concerns.
Palin
The Professor

Post by Palin » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:35 am

Thanks and congrats on the kill! We're still deliberating and juggling quite a few Trials at this moment, but will be in touch sometime this week.
Coop

Post by Coop » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:52 pm

Ok! No problem, was just making sure things were moving along