Hydroo - mage

Want to join? Post your application here.

Moderator: Officer

hydroo

Hydroo - mage

Post by hydroo » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:33 am

1. Character name, Server Hydroo-Mal'ganis
2. Class, Race, and Spec (and Artifact Level) Mage/Orc/all/44

3. Link to an Armory profile, and an explanation of anything that may not be readily apparent from your Armory profile (alternate sets of gear, currently PvP-specced, etc.) https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... nis/hydroo

4. What are your usual playing hours? Are there days/times when you are consistently unavailable? Inform us of your daily work/school schedule, what time do you get home from work/school, and what time must you be in bed for the next day. Are you able to make our raid times in general? Is this availability going to change within the next few months, or with a change in Semester (if applicable)? I work as a bench jeweler from 7-5 m-f, I usually am on around 7-12~1 my time daily/every other day. (obv for raid day ill be on at 7:30 ready for raid), can make raid days/times no problem. No, my scheduled is set

5. Discuss your prior endgame raiding experience. Specify your experience with Heroic/Mythic in previous content as well as your experience in the current tier. -- I've played this game since 2005. I didn't raid with any big guilds previous to BFA, just didn't really care to, just had small close knit really bad guilds. I found more enjoyment in pvp through out my wow days, and just raided with bad players who were friends. At the start of BFA I decided to try my hand at the hardcore pve thing, and to see if I would enjoy it, I raided with The Wall us 67th ghuun, and loved the challenges it brought to me to maximize every aspect of the fights, while maintaining mechanics. Unfortunately the guild broke up this tier due to bad attitudes from a lot of senior members, officers not recruiting, and overall moral of the guild went down due to all of these issues, on Janina prog, we had a main tank, healer and one of our best dps quit in a day, and the gm called it quits for the guild.

6. Why do you want to leave your current guild? Why do you want to join us? Specifically, what interests you in our band of merry idiots? -- You guys have really good raid days/times for me, and your also a very competitive guild for 10 hours a week, my old guild broke up. I watched a few vods from Palin's stream, and I feel I would get a long with you guys well.

7. Give us some info on your class knowledge and self performance analysis in this section:

7a. What resources and practices do you use to keep up with your class and maximizing your DPS/HPS/Surivability? -- I try to only move during ice lance procs or after glacial/flurry combos, just because your on gcd, might as well make sure positing is prime for whats about to occur, blinking while casting when otherwise would have to move, saving/using second set of 3mins/2mins for the ideal time in the fight. Ice blocking things like meka bomb dot, grong toss, any big single target/raid dmg ability. and if blocks are not available, using my personal absorb on cd when needed.
7b. What fights in the current tier do you swap Talents and Traits to something different than the norm (if at all)? What do you swap and why? Feel free to list on a boss per boss basis. -- Not many talents changed with mages this tier, only fights frost was not better on for prog was mekka/Janina. For frost, always the same talents, but just playing comment storm for single target only fights/or big cleave fights (opulence), or splinting ice on fights like grong where there is two big add cleave, or jadefire/conclave/rasta, any fight with big hp adds. For meka I think arcane is best, but for prog my old guild had 3 locks, who got arcane azerite priority over mages. For that fight if I had the arcane traits, I would just run straight single target spec of course. and for Janina fire single target/execute
7c. How do you analyze your performance on a new fight and figure out how/what you can improve on next week? Don't just say you use logs and compare to others of your class - what specifically are you looking for when you have a good/bad parse? -- I compare logs of course, but in addition I ask in the mage discord if anyone has tips/pointers. I also have a few friends in top 10 us raiding guilds that I ask for advise in that situation, just on general ranged positing/cd usage, what they're doing and why.

8. Please include your character log report showcasing your performance on the relevant bosses of the tier. If your logs are private, please change your Warcraftlogs login and list the username/password here so we can access your logs. If you aren't comfortable listing it publicly, please PM it to Palin privately on these forums. Please remember to change your WCL login again a few days later after we've reviewed your application. -- https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... artition=1

9. Of the above logs, please do a quick analysis of what fights you did well on, what went wrong on certain fights, etc. Use this chance to explain any context behind good/bad logs. -- My 8.0 logs were supper try hard of course for progression, of course my 8.1 logs are try hard too, just on farm by the guild so, you know how it goes, more fun and goofing around than super serious raiding. Otherwise they would look the same/better than my 8.0.

10. Can your PC handle WoW at high effects (Lust, Scorp Room, etc.)? -- Yeah, 100%. I run in game settings on 6 for raid, and dont drop frames on opulence.

11. Please include a SS of your raiding UI. IF A KEYBINDING IS NOT SHOWN NO YOUR FRAME, PLEASE EXPLAIN AND list any relevant keybinds not shown in the screenshot. Make sure we can see everything that pops up in a raid, meaning take the SS in combat in LFR or something of the like so we can see your boss mods, timer positioning, WeakAuras, raid frames, etc. https://imgur.com/a/K9New4O I know its not pretty, but im way to use to it to change at this point =/. Think my WA's were turned off or bugging out for some reason.

12. Tell us a bit about yourself. Age, gender, work/school, hobbies, etc. Add anything else you feel is pertinent. -- I've played this game since 2005, I feel my general game knowledge of not only my class, but every class is higher than most above average players. I've mainly pvped with most of my time on wow, with casual raiding here and there with friends guilds (all shitters) just for raid for fun. I got my first rank 1 arena title in 2008, yes 2008. and ive been 2600-2700 on every class in the game at on point or another, (except dh, fuck those nerds) I feel being so arena oriented brings a lot to pve. My awareness in fights of not only whats going on, but what is about to/needs to happen at specific points is uncanny. I'm a bench jeweler in real life, and my at my job I am expected to perform perfect on a daily basis, and do what is required of me to improve, even if that means getting my ass chewed once in a while. I respond very well to constructive criticism, and understand its to help me improve, not to down me. Its a positive, not negative. I carry this attitude through out everything I do in life, rather my job, or wow. in whatever I do, I do my best and expect a very high level of performance from myself.

13. Out-of-game contact information - Discord tag, Battle.net ID, etc. Some way we can contact you besides these forums. Hydro#2567
Palin
The Professor

Re: Hydroo - mage

Post by Palin » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:38 am

Hi again Hydroo, thanks so much for considering us and taking the time to apply. We know they're a pain and appreciate your time and effort.

A few questions:
  • Saw you did some kills with <Simple Math> this week, did you Trial with them or just hanging and filling in casually?
  • Looking through your logs I don't believe I see a Coastal Healing Potion used, nor do I see it bound to your UI. Are you aware this does not share a cooldown with Healthstone? I see you use Emerald of Vigor when you have it so am a bit confused why not Coastal Healing Potion on nights the gem doesn't go that way.
  • Saw you did some pulls on Jaina before the Wall broke up. I'm curious your impressions on how you did as Fire on that fight and what you recognized you wanted to improve upon those first few nights?
  • Whats your Azerite trait from Residuum situation like that didn't allow switching to Arcane for Mekka?
Thanks in advance!
hydroo

Post by hydroo » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:11 am

I trailed with simple math with 3 or 4 people from the wall. They knew a few people in the guild they were already friends with, and I liked them, so I just kinda hastily decided to join them, and decision on my part to jump in so quickly. I didn't really care for the attitude of some of their raiders or their raid leading, just felt it was not up to par. I just wasn't what they were looking for, and just not what I wanted in a guild.

Yes, I'm 100% aware of that, and my has keybind is a macro that uses health stone, health pot, and the gem. On emerald dream, the ah was a nightmare, people buying everything and re posting it for x5 the normal cost. That happened a lot with health pots, at one time they were over 4k per pot. and the mats were just as expensive, looking back, I should had just farmed them myself. You're right I dont have a good answer for that. That's my mistake. I dont think a lot of people used them thos raid strictly for this reason, it wasn't even required.

For fire on jaina, p1 I just mainly got my big fire opener, and did billistas and bombs, not a lot to improve on in that aspect, p2 I felt like I maximised as much as fire can, while doing all the mechanics, fire really shines in p3 as I'm sure you know, the one small issue I had was I knowing when to use my combust for max effencity, after reviewing logs, and our pull times so specific points in the fights, I quickly got that worked out.

I just got unlucky with my azerite from residuum, basically useless traits for every spec, I would have used the first piece I got for fire, and that's it, the second piece, was all around useless. :( Arace is not nearly as strong without tier pieces, and tretchirous covantant!
Palin
The Professor

Post by Palin » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:13 pm

Thanks for the replies Hydro!

Two other quick questions:
  • A quick sim of your character shows me with Int as your worst stat by a mile - why the Int gem in Weapon then? Do you regularly sim via Raidbots best upgrades and enchant/gem choices?
  • I've heard that with 3 FF traits Frost Mages should be using Splitting Ice over Comet Storm unless extreme priority add situations, whats your thought on this?
Thanks!
hydroo

Post by hydroo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:18 am

I do, I usually sim 2 to 3 times a week on raid days, and when I get new gear. As far as the int gem, it did sim higher for than two stats for keys, but for raid, you're right it's useless.

Yeah when I sim it, it's always super close on just single target patch work between splitting and comet storm, like less than 50dps diff, and it's never one or the other. They are always just back and forth. Sim 5 times, 3 splitting will be 30 more dps, and the other 2 comet storm will be 30 more dps. So both very close. And yeah if there's any cleave at all in the fight, splitting is by far better, like grong for example, or stormwall. But comet storm is the play for fights like opulence.
Palin
The Professor

Post by Palin » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:08 pm

Thanks Hydroo, let's try to connect today for a few min on Discord. Message me when you're available. thanks!