Panzar - Warrior (Fury/Arms)

Want to join? Post your application here.

Moderator: Officer

Panzar

Panzar - Warrior (Fury/Arms)

Post by Panzar » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:08 pm

1. Character name, Server
Panzar, Blackrock

2. Class, Race, and Spec (and Artifact Level)
Warrior, Undead, Fury or Arms (whichever is best), 47.80

3. Link to an Armory profile, and an explanation of anything that may not be readily apparent from your Armory profile (alternate sets of gear, currently PvP-specced, etc.)
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... ock/Panzar - If I have War Machine (T1) and Bounding Stride on (T4), it's because I use them for faster world questing. Usually Endless Rage and Warpaint are used, respectively, for raiding.

4. What are your usual playing hours? Are there days/times when you are consistently unavailable? Inform us of your daily work/school schedule, what time do you get home from work/school, and what time must you be in bed for the next day. Are you able to make our raid times in general? Is this availability going to change within the next few months, or with a change in Semester (if applicable)?
I am always on outside of raid times every day for AT LEAST 2 hours to clear the map of AP world quests. This is done immediately from getting home from work around 7pm or around noon on days off. Where I work I always work the day shift (~10am - ~5pm)EST so that will never interfere with raid times. The days vary on when I work since it isn't a full 40 hours, but usually is 3 or 4 days a week. I'd prefer to be in bed by 1am so I don't throw off my sleep schedule for the trillionth time. I graduated last spring in Computer Science and am still just leisurely working my part time job until I want to jump into my career. Right now my schedule is very stable to the best of my knowledge.

5. Discuss your prior endgame raiding experience. Specify your experience with Heroic/Mythic in previous content as well as your experience in the current tier.
I feel it'd be easiest for readability to list in all out.
BC -
Kara 11/11
Gruul's Lair 2/2
Magtheridon's - 1/1
TK - 1/3

WOTLK -
Naxx (10) - 15/15
OS 3 drake (10/25) - 1/1
EoE (10/25) - 1/1
Ulduar (H 10 / N 25) - 14/14. I did all hard modes along with a one light Yogg kill. I got the key to Algalon's room, but never killed him while he was current.
To(G)V (10/25 H) - 5/5
ICC (10 N) - 12/12

Cata -
BWD (10 N) - 6/6
BoT (10 N) - 2/4
(Quit Cata here. Wasn't feeling the expansion on top of mounting school pressure)

MoP -
MV (10 N) - 6/6
(Took a break here)
SoO (10/25H/20M) - Came back here since I was starting college and had much more free time and a much more flexible schedule that I chose. I decided I really wanted to start raiding fairly hardcore at this point.

WoD - (My favorite expansion to this day. All of this is Mythic progression now)
Tier 17 World 264/US 72
Tier 18 World 248/US 60

Legion -
Tier 19 World 172/US 52
Tier 20 World 231/US 70
Tier 21 World 305/US 101

BFA - (Expansion made by interns)
Tier 22 World 390/US 123
Tier 23 (8/9M) with some 6% pulls on M Jaina.

6. Why do you want to leave your current guild? Why do you want to join us? Specifically, what interests you in our band of merry idiots?

It's a mix of a lot of my friend's that joined this guild with me are leaving (not really a big deal, but something) on top of the raiding environment not being what I want out of a guild. I don't want to say anything more negative than that. I very much enjoy Defenestrate and think they're super fun, but sometimes people don't mesh with guilds perfectly.

Mainly I love the Renaissance Faire and the Flail is one of my favorite weapons so off the bat your guild's name makes me excited. Jokes aside just from some videos of your kills, you guys have a quiet and relaxed environment that I enjoy, while still joking and focusing on the pull at the same time. Someone even dropped a barrage in raid on your Jaina kill and your RL just said "It's cool just don't be in it." I can appreciate that levelheadedness.

7. Give us some info on your class knowledge and self performance analysis in this section:
7a. What resources and practices do you use to keep up with your class and maximizing your DPS/HPS/Surivability?
I'll generally do a daily or bi-daily ritual of checking the warrior discord, looking in game at what possible upgrades I can get today, sim what content gives me either the best upgrades or the highest chance of giving me AN upgrade, sim new reforge plots, sim new stat plots to see how everything scales, and finally after I got the possible upgrades for the day, run a top gear of all the permutations of gear sets.

If we're in a new raid I'll also be reading through a lot of warrior logs outside of raid of the bosses we'll most likely be working on that night.

I also like to look at the raid's mechanics before it releases and figure out which will be the most annoying or difficult and make weakauras for them. I figure I may as well use my degree for something and it's good practice in Lua.

7b. What fights in the current tier do you swap Talents and Traits to something different than the norm (if at all)? What do you swap and why? Feel free to list on a boss per boss basis.
Warrior, least of all Fury Warrior, doesn't really swap much neither now nor in Legion. The only choices would be taking Warpaint on high damage bosses over bounding stride (except for mekkatorque with his gigavolts going out so often) and MAYBE bladestorm if you want to cheese on Opulence. I've never simmed or seriously considered changing talents for a parse though.

7c. How do you analyze your performance on a new fight and figure out how/what you can improve on next week? Don't just say you use logs and compare to others of your class - what specifically are you looking for when you have a good/bad parse?

Warrior is easy in that our damage has pretty historically always been very wave-like. In terms of damage the go to points are the opener, reck rotations, CD timings (for AoE or optimal fight mechanics), or execute rotation. Rotationally based problems are easy to fix. Some examples of specific questions I have asked or found out through research. Are you using Bloodthirst on CD? Are you overcapping and wasting rage? Are you immediately using Rampage when you have the rage or using an additional move at high rage (but not capped) to make the full use of that enrage buff? Should I be using Light's Judgement inside Reck? If not, where do I use it? Do I wait for Reck with my Siegebreaker or wait for Siegebreaker with my Reck? Additionally should Dragon's Roar be held for AoE or just on cooldown? What about Bladestorm?

The less easy thing to figure out is CD timings. This doesn't matter much in BFA for Arms and Fury, but for Legion it was very important when you popped Reck. For instance, should you Warbreaker/Ravager/CDs on the boss now or wait 40s to do it with adds as well? Is this worth it? Will this remove a usage of those skills from my entire fight because it may be a shorter fight?

8. Please include your character log report showcasing your performance on the relevant bosses of the tier. If your logs are private, please change your Warcraftlogs login and list the username/password here so we can access your logs. If you aren't comfortable listing it publicly, please PM it to Palin privately in these forums. Please remember to change your WCL login again a few days later, after we've reviewed your application.
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... artition=2

9. Of the above logs, please do a quick analysis of what fights you did well on, what went wrong on certain fights, etc. Use this chance to explain any context behind good/bad logs.
For evaluation I'd prefer if you all looked at 8.1 logs for an indication of my progression performance. 8.1.5 M kills were just helping Defenestrate with farm and I didn't need gear so I was fine being out.

I don't mean to use it as a cop out, but I was, in essence, the melee officer for End it All. So the allocation of melee mechanics usually fell on me and I fairly universally just gave myself any and all jobs if it made it easier for the raid. I was confident I could do the mechanics consistently myself so there was no need to burden others if it wasn't necessary.

In terms of bosses with sub purple kills:
Opulence - I did red gem since it kept falling off. Opal is used for if you want high damage
Conclave - We had too much damage a lot of the time along with our tank was getting wrecked so I sat on Pa'ku a lot and taunt swapped the Pa'ku tank every 10 or so stacks.
Mekkatorque - I was always the first to jump in any robot I saw even if my shrink was about to wear off and I could've just let it run out and keep dpsing the boss.
Blockade - Maybe could've been improved, but imo this fight is fairly cheesy for Fury to push parses for. Generally it requires stacking AoE traits (Cold Steel, Hot Blood) on top of the ranged letting the storms get close to the boss ESPECIALLY during execute for meat cleaving executes.

10. Can your PC handle WoW at high effects (Lust, Scorp Room, etc.)?
Yes it can.

11. Please include a SS of your raiding UI. IF A KEYBINDING IS NOT SHOWN NO YOUR FRAME, PLEASE EXPLAIN AND list any relevant keybinds not shown in the screenshot. Make sure we can see everything that pops up in a raid, meaning take the SS in combat in LFR or something of the likes so we can see your boss mods, timer positioning, WeakAuras, raid frames, etc.

Two keybinds that aren't bound on the main bars are drums (So I don't accidentally hit it during the raid. It's bound for dungeons) and my special mount slot which is reserved for whatever is currently my favorite mount since I have nothing else for that spot. The side faded out bar fades in when moused over and is usually used for dumb macros/toys.

A lot of my most important items for raiding and general use are bound to a wheel on my mouse pointer called oPie. Gif showing it here:

12. Tell us a bit about yourself. Age, gender, work/school, hobbies, etc. Add anything else you feel is pertinent.
I'm 24 years old. I'm a guy. I graduated as a CS major last spring. Just from writing those 3 sentences out I feel kind of normie. I love reading and learning. High Fantasy is fine, but I really enjoy reading articles about just about anything. Finding out how things work, how people feel, what happens in places that I'm not, why things happen the way they do. These are all topics I try to seek. Because of this I also listen to NPR a lot. Their wide range of podcast guests and topics on top of mostly unbiased reporting really makes them enjoyable. As Pocahontas once said (by Disney) I get to learn things I never knew I never knew.

Work is just working part time as a fast food delivery guy at a national chain. I don't feel super motivated to jump straight into 40, 50, 60 hour weeks as a cs dev quite yet so I like to take it slow.

Hobbies other than WoW would be playing Oldschool Runescape and crushing the RATSCALLIONS in Vermintide 2. I love this game so much. I also play outside with my puppy Anakin because he has nearly infinite energy and could be our solution to our energy crisis.

13. Out-of-game contact information - Discord tag, Battle.net ID, etc. Some way we can contact you besides these forums.
BTag: Panzar#1961 Discord: Panzar#7013
nikolai
HALLO!

Re: Panzar - Warrior (Fury/Arms)

Post by nikolai » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:10 pm

Hi Panzar, thanks for taking the time to fill out a detailed application.

I'll repost it internally for everyone to review over the next couple days, and we'll post questions as we have them here.
Brö

Post by Brö » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:17 pm

Hey Panzar, I'm the current warrior currently for Spike Flail and am here to ask you a few questions.

You mentioned that CD timings don't matter as much right now in BFA, what are your thoughts about Siegebreaker and Recklessness with Reckless Flurry and the way it becomes off sync, would you use Recklessness or sit on it until Siegebreaker comes off CD?

Also you mentioned that for M Stormwall Blockade most of the top logs are cheesed. While this is true, did you mean that it's only possible to get an orange by cheesing it or did you mean purples as well? (I just want more clarification on this)

I'm also curious as to why you pop Recklessness after your charge

Thanks ahead of time!
Panzar

Post by Panzar » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:05 pm

Like other expansions the rule has been pretty universally that everything else waits for reck (or Battle Cry I guess). In a Patchwerk situation where I have Recklessness, but Siegebreaker is on CD I would still use Recklessness regardless of the Siegebreaker CD.

I meant for an orange. I apologize for not being clear. For an orange you're going to need: Not heroing on the boat, 2 or 3 CSHBs. and getting a little trigger happy with spawning adds near the bosses melee hitbox during the hero at the end. I'm sure I (or anyone) could've gotten a purple on most bosses with good play. Not much point in going into all the numerous small things that went wrong with my pull compared to a higher parsing warriors pull that don't just boil down to World of Lotterycraft.

Charging from max range (25yds) during a hero could take roughly longer (depends on ms) than the 1.00 seconds which is what your gcd would be at that moment. I try to pop reck slightly after it starts to ensure I don't arrive later than anticipated and lose reck time. I acknowledge I definitely reck too late sometimes and lose actual gcd usage arriving earlier than anticipated and the gcd of the reck usage isn't fully complete yet.

As a side note your images that you linked and which are in your signature aren't showing properly. I was still able to open it though in another window:

Edit: OK the pictures weren't working because my Privacy Badger extension wasn't allowing the gyazo tracker cookie.
Palin
The Professor

Post by Palin » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:25 am

Hey Panzar, thanks for your patience as we deliberate. We've currently got a few good melee apps we're considering and only 1 melee spot, so we're being extra picky. Your Uldir logs look good and Blockade prog looked good as well. We see some small rotational things that could be fixed but you seem to do well despite them. Unfortunately aren't super in need of a 2nd Warrior in their current state so with limited melee spots we're going to unfortunately pass at this time. Things change quickly though so its possible we may have a spot open up in the near future - if so we'll be sure to contact you and see if you're still in the hunt.

Best of luck with the remainder of your search and thanks again for considering us. Take care!