Omgitsjune - Mage

Want to join? Post your application here.

Moderator: Officer

Omgitsjune

Omgitsjune - Mage

Post by Omgitsjune » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:02 pm

1. Character name, Server
Omgitsjune, Stormreaver

2. Class, Race, and Spec (and Artifact Level)
Mage, Blood elf, Frost (46), can play all 3 specs.

3. Link to an Armory profile, and an explanation of anything that may not be readily apparent from your Armory profile (alternate sets of gear, currently PvP-specced, etc.)
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... omgitsjune

4. What are your usual playing hours? Are there days/times when you are consistently unavailable? Inform us of your daily work/school schedule, what time do you get home from work/school, and what time must you be in bed for the next day. Are you able to make our raid times in general? Is this availability going to change within the next few months, or with a change in Semester (if applicable)?
I am available from 4 - 8:30pm PST Mon-Fri, anytime Sunday.
I currently work in a medical lab for night shift from 10pm - 6:30 am PST so after raid I have to get ready for work right away, and I sleep during the day.
I will be out of town for a work trip from April 16th-22nd, but I will be back on the 23rd. Other than that week, I am able to make raid times.

5. Discuss your prior endgame raiding experience. Specify your experience with Heroic/Mythic in previous content as well as your experience in the current tier.
BFD 8/9M (guild broke up on first day of Jaina prog)
Uldir 8/8
Antorus 3/11
ToS 6/9
NH 8/10
EN 7/7
HFC 13/13
I have been in friends' guild during WOD expansion but they broke up during TOV progression. I had a hard time finding a guild throughout Legion because of people burning out/disbanding. I was also having training at work towards the end of legion so I didn't raid seriously at all. My friends' guild reformed at the beginning of BFD and we were able to push through Uldir and 8/9M BFD before falling apart again on Jaina prog.

6. Why do you want to leave your current guild? Why do you want to join us? Specifically, what interests you in our band of merry idiots?
My current guild No Bully on Stormreaver disbanded because of people leaving due to real life issues, burning out and vacation. We have 7 people gone in April and officers weren't able to recruit fast enough to fill the gap. Other raiders were getting discouraged because our RL is on vacation and we'll be missing lots of jaina progression so they left.
I'm interested in joining you guys because of the same raid hours and better time frame for me. I would always have to rush out the door to get to work after raid in my old guild but here, I have an hour after raid to get ready.

7. Give us some info on your class knowledge and self performance analysis in this section:
7a. What resources and practices do you use to keep up with your class and maximizing your DPS/HPS/Surivability?
I use raidbots and sim to choose my BIS gear and stats. I analyze logs from world top mages, and I watch videos/Method streams on progression weeks to familiarize myself with boss mechanics and what talents I can take for my class to do those mechanics.

7b. What fights in the current tier do you swap Talents and Traits to something different than the norm (if at all)? What do you swap and why? Feel free to list on a boss per boss basis.
The only talent that I swap for Frost is Splitting Ice/Comet Storm. I have Splitting Ice on for Champions, Grong and Jadefire to cleave adds and priority targets better, I swapped to Comet Storm at Opulence for better add AOE/root. I swapped back to Splitting ice for Conclave/Rasta/Stormwall again for killing priority adds.
I changed to Arcane because my guild had some trouble placing the bots, and often times if I was frost, my frozen orb would hit them and reflect more damage to me. I played arcane to have better ST burst, survival cds and not worrying about reflective damage.
I changed to Fire on Jaina for execution damage since p3 is very tight on dps check.

7c. How do you analyze your performance on a new fight and figure out how/what you can improve on next week? Don't just say you use logs and compare to others of your class - what specifically are you looking for when you have a good/bad parse?
First thing I would check for is my damage taken. I would look through the fight and see if I was taking any avoidable damage that would make healers hate me. Then I would look at my downtime in terms of spell casts, trinkets and cd usage, potions at the right time, if I position myself correctly to avoid moving too much. When I compare a good parse to a bad one, I would look at damage crit % and stats to figure out if my gear is a problem, and how much I get targeted by mechanics.

8. Please include your character log report showcasing your performance on the relevant bosses of the tier. If your logs are private, please change your Warcraftlogs login and list the username/password here so we can access your logs. If you aren't comfortable listing it publicly, please PM it to Palin privately on these forums. Please remember to change your WCL login again a few days later after we've reviewed your application.
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... omgitsjune

9. Of the above logs, please do a quick analysis of what fights you did well on, what went wrong on certain fights, etc. Use this chance to explain any context behind good/bad logs.
I did well on Jadefire and Grong since my guild has a habit of tunneling boss and leaving priority adds up for too long, I was able to split ice properly on bots, spirit of xuen and orbs on jadefire.
I tend to have bad parses on Conclave, Mekkatorque and Stormwall due to having to do mechanics. On Conclave, my buddy mage and I are always on dispell duties (including dispelling raptors). I also un-iceblocked a bit too early and died to thundering storms during winds. Mekkatorque is very frustrating with the amount of random mechanics which can kill parses. Our strat was to sacrifice people who had bombs at the end. I used every defensive that I had (greater invis, health pots, barrier) but healers couldn't keep me up. We were 4 healing so I don't blame them for that. And lastly for Stormwall, my buddy and I are strictly on add duty and keeping it cone of cold-ed the whole time.

10. Can your PC handle WoW at high effects (Lust, Scorp Room, etc.)?
Yep

11. Please include a SS of your raiding UI. IF A KEYBINDING IS NOT SHOWN NO YOUR FRAME, PLEASE EXPLAIN AND list any relevant keybinds not shown in the screenshot. Make sure we can see everything that pops up in a raid, meaning take the SS in combat in LFR or something of the like so we can see your boss mods, timer positioning, WeakAuras, raid frames, etc.
https://i.imgur.com/nQ69YS7.jpg
Bottom bar: I use number keys 1-6
Middle bar: Shift 1-6
Top bar: QERT, I swapped utility spells/cds often for fights that need them.

12. Tell us a bit about yourself. Age, gender, work/school, hobbies, etc. Add anything else you feel is pertinent.
I just turned 25, I'm an Asian girl and I work in healthcare industry. I'm planning to get my license to become a clinical lab scientist soon but probably in the next 3-4 years. Video games is too much fun right now.
I have an addiction to boba and I love dark humour.
I also like to run m+

13. Out-of-game contact information - Discord tag, Battle.net ID, etc. Some way we can contact you besides these forums.
Discord: June#0081, Bnet: omgitsjune#1125
nikolai
HALLO!

Re: Omgitsjune - Mage

Post by nikolai » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:26 pm

Hi June thanks for applying.

I'll repost your app internally for review over the weekend. I'm sure our resident mage will be with you over the next day or two to ask any questions we have.

Thanks!
kernalklink

Post by kernalklink » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:53 pm

Hello June. I also play the magus class and will ask some general questions about your app. I wouldn't say that I'm the peak of magedom by any means so answer as you see fit.
-I'm thinking the gear you're currently logged out in, as of posting this, is a setup for m+ but I'll ask anyway if you play Glacial Assault in a raid setting and if so what you see the merits of this trait being? I also wonder about your choice of playing Heed my Call vs. Unstable Flames on your shoulder slot. This can be a short answer question probably.

-As an addendum to the previous question I wonder how you feel about traits for frost that offer procs, such as swirling sands, unstable flame, etc. that are geared toward more reactive play that require proc tracking vs the other school of thought where you play with mostly passive, damage increasing traits such as packed ice, frigid grasp, GA, etc. I personally feel that the former is a better playstyle and has a higher ceiling as far as peak performance goes, especially when GS offers little to no variability in rotation.

-What do you think mage offers to a raid comp at the moment other than the necessary 10% int buff? What are things that we do in the current raid tier that another class could not do? Feel free to say that we offer nothing more than the static int if that's what you think. (This isn't meant to be a trick question).

-Lastly, you state in your app that you're comfortable playing all 3 mage specs. I value this skill above anything and think anybody who plays a pure dps spec should be able to swap between their specs interchangeably with little to no effort. I have a lot of frost parses to look at but even going back to Uldir there are not a lot of other logs to look at to gauge your comfort on the other two specs. Do you ever play arcane or fire just for the sake of seeing what they feel like in the given raid? I find it to be extremely valuable to do this even if it is considered "off meta" and my opinion is that frost is going to be vastly outscaled by both arcane and fire by the end of the expansion. Do you have any thoughts on this? Let me know if you agree or disagree and why.

As an afterthought im also curious what kind of lab work you do. Feel free to ignore this one as it has nothing to do with wow.
Omgitsjune

Post by Omgitsjune » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:56 am

I barely change my azerite traits between m+ and raid because they offer little to unnoticeable damage increase, unless I'm switching my spec. Most of my gear set up are for raiding and I play m+ very casually. Glacial Assault is a pretty nice trait because it's a decent damage boost proc whenever I get lucky with flurry, it helps killing priority targets when combining it with Glacial Spike + Flurry, and it procs quite a lot too. I usually look at other traits that I can get on the same row as Glacial Assault, in this case for my helmet for example, I can choose Frigid Grasp, but int is my worst stat from sims and it's only usable every 3 mins, so it's not as much damage compared to Glacial Assault. For my shoulders, I went with Heed my Call because it's also a nice flat damage proc if I get lucky. When comparing it to Unstable Flames, I don't change my playstyle rotation or having a WA to track a small amount of crit for 5s. I could be casting frostbolts or ice lance and I definitely don't wait til unstable flames proc to cast glacial spike, so that 5s of crit is so insignificant that I'd rather just get flat damage proc instead.

I personally like to have traits that alter how we play the class, making the rotation more interesting. For mages in general right now, the traits that require proc tracking (unstable flames/swirling sands) isn't offering a significant amount of damage to track it. Flash freeze/wildfire/equipoise are so powerful that stacking them is really strong, but they aren't traits that require WA tracking, it's just a flat damage increase to spells, and that
makes the rotation extremely boring. I was practicing playing fire on Mythrax/G'huun when blaster master hasn't been nerfed, and that playstyle is so much more engaging than spam casting fireballs for procs.

I wouldn't say mages are always for int buff (that's what scrolls are for :D). But mages is such a high mobility, utility and survival class that it's always good to have 1-2 mages in raid. For example in Uldir, frost mage is a requirement for Zul for add kiting/cc and pool soaks. They can swap between specs for execution on end tier bosses such as Mythrax/G'huun. In BFD, they're needed on almost every fight. Frost is good for add damage on Grong/Jadefire/Opulence. REALLY useful on conclave for dispell raptors and debuff, and they also benefit from the spellsteal. They have high ST burst and survival on Mekkatorque (blinks for miscalculated teleport, immunities/greater invis/barrier for bomb debuff DR). Mages are needed on stormwall for kiting adds. In every raid, at least 60% of the fights require mages to make mechanics easier. They aren't that great on damage meters atm, but they are always needed for utility.

I will be honest that I haven't been practicing fire/arcane on bfd at all besides Mekkatorque because it's such a hassle to change azerite traits back and forth, and I had the worst luck gambling arcane/fire azerite for the bis traits and farming trinkets for the past 2 months. But I will be down to commit to 1 offspec in a raid day or in a heroic run. I've only played fire in Uldir for execution damage and kill the boss, since my guild has never cared about parses. I have been playing arcane during WOD, fire in Legion and frost in BFA, so the muscle memory is there. And I do agree that frost does well at the beginning of expansion but falls off with gear. If anything, I will be picking fire up again in Azshara tier if boss mechanics don't require a frost mage. I was told by my friends that when people recruit for Mages, they are recruiting for 3-spec mages, not just one, so I have always been keeping up with my offspecs and try to master them as much as I can.

I work in a medical routine testing lab. We get samples from doctors' office, prisons, hospitals during the day and they get delivered to lab at night :) and that's why I haven't seen the sun in 2 years.
Palin
The Professor

Post by Palin » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:56 am

Hey June, thanks for your interest with us and taking the time to apply and answer our questions. I have a few more for you:
For my shoulders, I went with Heed my Call because it's also a nice flat damage proc if I get lucky.
I just ran the sim on a Patchwerk and Unstable Flame comes out 50 DPS ahead on a Patchwerk which isn't insignificant. Looking at your logs you can tell Heed My Call is doing <1% of your damage on raid fights. Was this a decision to have a more multi-faceted trait for M+ and Raiding?

Looking at your recent nights of playing Fire on Jaina learning, what have you identified you could be doing better to tighten up your rotation as you practice playing that spec more?

Thanks!
Omgitsjune

Post by Omgitsjune » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:12 am

I run m+ a lot outside of raid and I didn't want to change a tier 3 ring back and forth for raid, so I chose that to benefit both m+ and raiding. If I was only commit to raiding, I would sim whichever trait that gives me the best dps. And also behind my reasoning for those traits is that unstable flames can proc when I'm doing mechanics or I'm running around during intermission, so those procs would go to waste.

I've only had 1 night of Jaina progression and we were still learning a lot. But personally, I would have to watch my positioning to place rune of powers properly. There were some pulls that I didn't wait until bombs were out, so I ended up wasting 2-3 secs to move while ROP was out. I also wasted pyroclasm procs or not pairing them up with ROP. My old guild didn't want range to move to boss while blizzard is out, so most of the range had to afk or we just hit whatever is close to us (frozen ballista) so I had a lot of downtime during those. My damage taken was also terrible because I had a habit of standing in fire and cast while Jaina is casting ring of ice, but in mythic, those fire really hurt. I was supposed to only dip in at the end of cast. I don't remember dying to them but I ended up wasting a lot of healers' mana so it wasn't good.
Palin
The Professor

Post by Palin » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:53 am

Hey June, thanks for your patience as we deliberate. After some consideration we've decided to unfortunately pass on your application at this time. You have a good grasp of Frost but we're seeing some big gaps in your Fire play on the early Jaina pulls that you don't seem to have identified (Scorch casts vs Fireball casts). We also aren't quite seeing the min/max attitude we're looking for to prog at this level and to push into the top 50 US next tier with some of your responses.

Thank you again for your detailed application - feel free to reapply down the line if you feel you've continued to improve to a point where we could reconsider. Best of luck in your search for a new home and take care!