Thugsta - Rogue

Want to join? Post your application here.

Moderator: Officer

Busta

Thugsta - Rogue

Post by Busta » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:47 am

Character name, Server

Thugsta, Zul’jin

2. Class, Race, and Spec (and Artifact Level)

Rogue, Blood Elf, MS: Assa (but comfy with any of the 3) (44)

3. Link to an Armory profile, and an explanation of anything that may not be readily apparent from your Armory profile (alternate sets of gear, currently PvP-specced, etc.)

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... in/thugsta

Generally log out in my outlaw spec for m+, have different sets for Outlaw/Assa with diff stat priorities & traits for raid/m+. (Sub is a meme but I do have solid traits as well)

4. What are your usual playing hours? Are there days/times when you are consistently unavailable? Inform us of your daily work/school schedule, what time do you get home from work/school, and what time must you be in bed for the next day. Are you able to make our raid times in general? Is this availability going to change within the next few months, or with a change in Semester (if applicable)?

I have a good chunk of freetime to pump into the game right now, currently working with DoorDash so I make my own hours and am super flexible. Your raid times are great for me; those are slow evenings for DD anyway! :)

5. Discuss your prior endgame raiding experience. Specify your experience with Heroic/Mythic in previous content as well as your experience in the current tier.

I’ve played the game on and off since TBC, however as I was but a wee lad, I was hella casual for a really long time. My first AOTC was just in ToS which led into a CE for Antorus with Divine-Zul’jin followed by another CE in Uldir on a 6 hour schedule.

As of BoD I was asked to be the Melee officer / Log Review and we decided to change to a 9 hour schedule, however due to awful attendance issues among other things our GM/RL decided to call it quits and the raid team dissolved as of last Tuesday - ending @ 6/9M. (7% on Mekka)

6. Why do you want to leave your current guild? Why do you want to join us? Specifically, what interests you in our band of merry idiots?

Really really enjoyed raiding with the dudes in Divine and will probably talk with several for years to come, but admittedly we were on the tail end of CE progression. I’d really like to push content at a much more competitive pace and am sure I can do so. So I’d like to take this opportunity and go for it.

As far as why Spike Flail, your infrastructure really stood out to me as well as the long history that you all have. Just going off of your write up on your wowprog page, I really dig the raid environment that you guys look to achieve, especially the constructive criticism aspect. All in all, seems like a really solid atmosphere!

7. Give us some info on your class knowledge and self performance analysis in this section:

7a. What resources and practices do you use to keep up with your class and maximizing your DPS/HPS/Surivability?

Legitimately always delving into my logs and utilizing the compare function of wclogs to see what others are doing in similar situations differently and/or better than I may be. In addition to constantly simming, checking into class discords, and watching streams. (primarily for m+)

7b. What fights in the current tier do you swap Talents and Traits to something different than the norm (if at all)? What do you swap and why? Feel free to list on a boss per boss basis.

Champs - LUL
Grong - I was always set to be orb carrier in our raid and because of this I swapped to Elusiveness over Cheat Death. It seemed to help quite a bit with the amount of spot healing that was needed on me, and as the fight is very straight forward timer wise, it was easy to just step out of melee before Reverb Slam as to not get insta-gibbed without Cheat Death.
Jadefire - It’s a really great fight for Assa as you’re constantly having the 2 target cleave with occasional tigers/orbs for a good chunk of bleed energy regen. Because of this, swapping in a couple Shrouded Suffocation traits for the empowered garrotes on 2 targets is a pretty significant pumper rather than going for the ST NP/DD build.
Opulence - I’m a good person and would swap to outlaw to take ruby for uptime so my other melee could parse. :^)
Conclave - Being that this fight was almost purely about death timers there wasn’t much to change up here aside from going the usual ST build, or swapping to Outlaw for raptor uptime when we were lacking. (heckin ranged players not swapping amirite)
Rasta - Ended up having to go more of a ST build like I would do on mekka as our Rasta damage was slightly lacking while our adds were dying smoothly.
Mekka - Full ST, 3xNP 2xDD 1xTtK (mainly just because I don’t have a 3rd DD PepeHands)

7c. How do you analyze your performance on a new fight and figure out how/what you can improve on next week? Don't just say you use logs and compare to others of your class - what specifically are you looking for when you have a good/bad parse?

When analyzing/comparing I usually like to check: uptimes (bleeds generally), which leads into checking when my downtimes are, I also like to compare # of casts to see where I could squeeze in, for instance, a couple more TB windows. As well as of course checking damage taken/deaths and see the cause and what I could do better to position/pre-preplan.

8. Please include your character log report showcasing your performance on the relevant bosses of the tier.

WW - prog for late antorus / early Uldir (sort by ilvl if you’re looking at M ABT pls lmfao)
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... fficulty=4
Rogue - prog for the latter half of Uldir / BoD
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/id/38199132#

9. Of the above logs, please do a quick analysis of what fights you did well on, what went wrong on certain fights, etc. Use this chance to explain any context behind good/bad logs.

Regarding the WW’s late ABT requiring you to look at ilvl - I had actually gone backpacking for 4.5 months during the tier while still remaining in the guild, and came back for CE after quickly gearing a monk. Otherwise I’m pretty happy with that toon’s parses and feel very comfortable on WW.

I swapped to Rogue mid/late Uldir primarily for M+, to just be a more relevant class. Very bummed with a couple of the parses in that tier. Specifically the G’huun pull; that was one of those times where you mutter “of course this pull is the kill” - but it is what it is and we got the kill.

Finally regarding my BoD rogue parses, I’m fairly happy with them. Feel as though performance wise in the fights I did well, a huge part of the mid to lower 80s is just boss kill times as we would generally limp our way across the finish line. If you were to look at heroic I would just like to double up on the fact that I always take ruby for opulence - ur lookin at a team player right here, one who’s probably a little too nice lmfao.

10. Can your PC handle WoW at high effects (Lust, Scorp Room, etc.)?

Ye! Somewhat old but gold i5-3570k and a 970 has never given me problems.

11. Please include a SS of your raiding UI. IF A KEYBINDING IS NOT SHOWN NO YOUR FRAME, PLEASE EXPLAIN AND list any relevant keybinds not shown in the screenshot. Make sure we can see everything that pops up in a raid, meaning take the SS in combat in LFR or something of the like so we can see your boss mods, timer positioning, WeakAuras, raid frames, etc.

https://imgur.com/a/DwU6wrA

12. Tell us a bit about yourself. Age, gender, work/school, hobbies, etc. Add anything else you feel is pertinent.

I’d say I’m a pretty chill 22 year old dude who’s very amiable, getting along with most anyone. As far as school goes I’m currently on the classic “indefinite” break for the time being, as I decided to go on that backpacking trip and am happy to just chill for a little while now that I’m back. My work is stupidly flexible with DoorDash and aside from that I pretty much just play wow and am looking to be a big pumper in a big pumper guild. I’d say that’s the gist of it! :)

If you’ve read through all this you’re a saint. I’m very much looking forward to hearing back and thank you for your time!

13. Out-of-game contact information - Discord tag, Battle.net ID, etc. Some way we can contact you besides these forums.

Discord: Busta#9147
Bnet: Busta#11451
nikolai
HALLO!

Re: Thugsta - Rogue

Post by nikolai » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:27 pm

Hi Thugsta,

Thanks for putting in an application, I'll repost it internally for review over the weekend.

If we have questions our resident rogues will be reaching out to you with them in this thread in the next few days.

Thanks!
cptn
Push Dem Buttons

Post by cptn » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:12 pm

hello thugsta. i play rogue here poorly and have a couple questions.

1. what is the origin of your in game name?
2. sorry to hear that your guild collapsed, did it have anything to do with raider attendance inconsistencies like say a main raider taking a 4.5 month break during a tier?
3. on jaina, what would your prefered trait/gear setup be. Would you use MA or SF?
4. with 1 second left on TB cooldown and 5 combo points(max here), whats your next move?
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything...
Busta

Post by Busta » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:30 pm

Rad, thanks for getting back - happy to answer!

1. It's a goofy/stoopid rogue-esque spin on my usual moniker Busta, very likely to change in the near future back to something closer to the original. As for the moniker, I'm just a guy who thinks he's fly which is also known as a "busta". :^)

2. Super fair! For maximum transparency I had been planning the trip for 6 months and had notified the officers 2 months prior to my departure when I joined the guild in the first place. I left before mythic prog had begun and when I got back I told them I was totally happy to sit out on CE, as I did not participate at all - but they were chill enough to bring me back in on the one other re-kill/clear before pre-patch. However since then I've had 100% attendance through Uldir and up until now in BoD. & to fully answer the question: it fell apart mostly due to waning interest / effort from a good chunk of the roster. A few had attendance issues due to the change in schedule going from 2 to 3 nights while some others were purely raid-logging. These past few weeks we were repeatedly short a player or two and it put a damper on the atmosphere as a whole because of it, leading to our RL deciding to call it quits.

3. Would very likely go with a similar build to Mekka's with MA // 3xNP 3xDD (or 3xNP 2xDD 1xTtK in my case as I don't have a 3rd NP/DD piece). The burst from MA's vanish lines up really nicely to have it always be pumped into Jaina with no downtime, unless you'd want to use the 5th MA proc on the wall if the damage is needed there - rather than saving it for 30s~1m until after Nathanos which is what I see most rogues do.

4. A few things would change my decision up a bit:
- Energy %? If I'm not capped then I'd hold it for that second (and pool energy, up to ~120) to get a juicy 3 envenom window. As TB Window > CP no matter how bad it feels to waste a CP, or 2 on crit. (still, a yuge pepehands)
- If rupture were about to wear off, as in below the 7.2s pandemic threshold, then I would renew with those 5 CP and use TB on CD afterwards.
- If bleeds are fine, but I'm energy capped: I'd dump it on an envenom, then use the TB on CD afterwards into the mutilates, & likely 2 Envenoms.
cptn
Push Dem Buttons

Post by cptn » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:38 am

Thank you for your answers ,we will get back to you soon
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything...
Palin
The Professor

Post by Palin » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:46 am

Hey Thugsta, thanks for your patience as we review. Wanted to ask you a bit about your defensive work:

Looking at your logs I'm not seeing a ton of Feint usage on Mekkatorque or across the board in general. What's your reasoning behind not using it say when getting a Bomb and hiding behind the rock or coming back in? Or for example I'm looking at a night where you had 16 wipes on Rastakhan and see it only used twice. What's your thoughts on that?

Are you aware Healthstone and Coastal Healing Pot/Emerald from the Opulence helm are not on a shared CD in BFA? Looking at all your nights of pulls I don't see a single Coastal or Emerald used.

Thanks in advance!
Busta

Post by Busta » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:34 am

Hey Palin!

Honestly I don’t have an excuse for that, my pot/feint usage is a definite place for improvement in my game-play. I would usually only feint on Mekka’s crash down if I were in danger health-wise so that I could use that 35 energy on something else. Which is greedy in hindsight, as 40% AOE reduction is huge. & looking over our logs, you’re 100% right - the most I see myself use feint would be just 15 times over the 18 wipes of the night on 3/26, super lacking. Especially for something like Scorching Detonation on Rasta, like you brought up - which is my highest damage taken on another of our Rasta prog nights.

As for specifically not using it when I went behind the walls w/ a bomb; as far as I can tell the blast is not an AOE ability for feint to reduce the damage. It applies the charge & blasts as a ST dot / hit. Unless you’re talking about also running elusiveness on this fight too, which I could see being good as well! I just felt that cheat death was super valuable here.

Just to clarify why I’m thinking it doesn’t count as AOE, which I could totally be reading wrong but:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/L3 ... ility=1966

I feinted for the first blast @ ~0:40 as the charge expired but took the same amount of damage from the initial blast as I did from the 2nd hit @ ~1:50 w/out the feint.

Really do appreciate how in-depth you go for an applicant pre-trial and I just want to say that I am super open to the constructive criticism. Looking forward to hearing back!
Palin
The Professor

Post by Palin » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:13 am

Ah you're right, looks like Feint just works on Hyperdrive Discharge (random aoe hits) and Crash Down, and not on Gigavolt Charge/Blast without Elusiveness. My mistake!

Regarding the Coastal I'm guessing you didn't have it bound? As the HP pools go up its almost not a terrible idea to just bind it to Healthstone, but I'm personally a fan of having it bounce separately so you can save Healthstone for more dangerous things in a fight.
Busta

Post by Busta » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:33 am

Yeah lmao not going to lie, just put it on a bind recently

Been using it in m+ way more often now that I'm at least pugging into the 18/19 range, heck grevious. Also feel the same, I like to have them bound differently for now at least, feels better that way.
Palin
The Professor

Post by Palin » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:58 am

Hey Busta, I added you on Bnet. Let's connect tomorrow sometime, thanks.