Hughheals - Priest

Want to join? Post your application here.

Moderator: Officer

jonesjg

Hughheals - Priest

Postby jonesjg » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:48 am

1. Character name, Server

Hughheals, Proudmoore

2. Class, Race, and Spec (and Artifact Level)

Priest, Worgen, Holy, 40.3

I've played disc on every Mother kill because we've needed the extra mitigation cooldowns (we do the fairly popular strategy that involves sending ~15 people at a time). Since 8.1 I've been learning shadow and at this point I am reasonably happy with where I am at. Although it is not at a level I would feel comfortable bringing to progression raiding at this time, I feel confident I could if asked to and given a small amount of time to prepare beforehand.

3. Link to an Armory profile, and an explanation of anything that may not be readily apparent from your Armory profile (alternate sets of gear, currently PvP-specced, etc.)

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... /Hughheals

If I'm logged out in shadow gear there are 3 item changes: my chest becomes the 390 cloth piece from Uldir with Archive, the dps trinket becomes a 370 Lion's Grace, and the 395 haste enchanted ring because a 385 crit/mastery ring that is mastery enchanted.

4. What are your usual playing hours? Are there days/times when you are consistently unavailable? Inform us of your daily work/school schedule, what time do you get home from work/school, and what time must you be in bed for the next day. Are you able to make our raid times in general? Is this availability going to change within the next few months, or with a change in Semester (if applicable)?

My usual playing hours on any given day are just a couple hours every night after my girlfriend goes to bed to do a bunch of WQs. Besides that I attend all my raids (currently T-Th 11-1am EST) and make sure I do a m+ and islands every week usually around raid time but on off nights. During the week I typically spend the time with my girlfriend after she gets home from work (~6pm) until raid time or whenever she goes to bed. So that time could be considered unavailable in the sense that I typically won't be on but not necessarily in the sense that I wouldn't be able to get on if needed. Up until Thursday my work schedule was a typical 9-5 desk job working as a Software Engineer. I've unfortunately (and embarassingly) just been let go in a massive layoff from my company. I anticipate being back into a similar situation shortly and when that is the case I generally look to get to bed around 1-2am, and get home from work 6-7pm. I don't think this is likely to change but with the recent major life change things are definitely a bit more up in the air than I'd prefer.

5. Discuss your prior endgame raiding experience. Specify your experience with Heroic/Mythic in previous content as well as your experience in the current tier.

My previous endgame raiding experience is fairly short. I've only raided competitively in two tiers. I raided in <Renegade Heroes> for Emerald Nightmare where we were able to finish the tier 7/7M. After that I ended up quitting the tier for work related reasons. I came back this expansion and joined the same guild (under new leadership) as <Legit> and we are going to finish this tier 6/8M.

6. Why do you want to leave your current guild? Why do you want to join us? Specifically, what interests you in our band of merry idiots?

I love the guys here and am going to miss my guild deeply. The reception I received coming back this expansion is one of the best feelings I've ever experienced. I've made lifelong friends here that I will continue to keep in contact with, hopefully for the rest of my life. However, throughout this tier I've grown increasingly frustrated with the level of dedication from my fellow raiders.

Simply put, I just want something different than the rest of them. And that isn't to say I'm right and they are wrong but just that everyone plays the game for a different reason. I'm someone who is going to spend all my time in game while outside of raid preparing for the next raid, doing everything I can to increase my guilds chance to succeed. I'm going to spend more hours per week reviewing logs than actually raiding. I'm going to make sure every piece of gear, trinket, and azerite trait is min-maxed. I'm not going to show up late to a raid because there is absolutely nothing I'd rather be doing. Similarly, I'm going to be the first one up buffing up for the next pull because I'm hungry for another crack at the boss.

I want to join Spike Flail because I want to raid with a guild full of people that feel the same way. That isn't to say I'm looking for a guild where every raider spends the same amount of time as me looking at logs. But rather, I'm looking for a guild where every raider is dedicated and puts their best foot forward, preparing in whichever way works best for them. The professionalism and passion that comes across in the information you have provided as well as the application process makes me believe Spike Flail is a guild where I would find what I am looking for.

7. Give us some info on your class knowledge and self performance analysis in this section:

7a. What resources and practices do you use to keep up with your class and maximizing your DPS/HPS/Surivability?

As mentioned previously, I lean heavily on logs. I review my logs for mistakes and opportunities for improvements. Additionally, I am constantly looking at top performing players of my spec looking at any number of things from their casts, to their timings, to their movements, etc. Outside of that, I am an avid stream watcher. Although it is mostly for entertainment, I mainly watch top raiders in Limit and Method currently and they are also a great source for information. I'll also use spreadsheets to help inform my decisions for itemizations.

7b. What fights in the current tier do you swap Talents and Traits to something different than the norm (if at all)? What do you swap and why? Feel free to list on a boss per boss basis.

Holy priest is pretty boring for this. The only talents that really get swapped are Benediction/Halo on Zek'voz and Zul. This is just because of the awkwardness of halo on fights when there are cc'd adds. This is pretty common practice though and not something I am doing special.

Better examples of this would be the twist magic trait on Zul. Although it became pretty common towards the end of 8.0, I was preparing for it from the time we were progressing on Zek'voz. Additionally, on Zul, while looking at logs I was able to notice that Vampiric Speed was performing better than the typical desired traits (Resounding Protection and Impassive Visage). As a result I was able to let my entire guild know it was better for them to respec into that trait when we were progressing on Zul if it was available. I'm sure plenty of people knew about this and the information was available through other sources but this would be an example of me being able to provide benefit to the guild outside of the raid with something that might have otherwise been missed.

7c. How do you analyze your performance on a new fight and figure out how/what you can improve on next week? Don't just say you use logs and compare to others of your class - what specifically are you looking for when you have a good/bad parse?

During progression there are always many things I am constantly looking at. Two of the first things I'm looking at are my mana management as well as overhealing. This helps me identify times in which I could be dpsing as a healer instead of wasting my mana fighting the other healers for hps when it isn't needed to keep the raid alive. Additionally, I look at top performing players and look for things such as CPM to determine if I am moving inefficiently and have unnecessary downtime. I look at % of casts for different spells to determine if I could benefit from using my spells in different quantities. I look for spell effectiveness to try to determine if there are better situations where I could be getting extra benefit out of my spells. Generally in this part of analysis I ignore bigger raid cooldowns like Hymn and Salvation. At least for this tier it was necessary to have those mostly planned out before hand and as long as I'm hitting my button at the right time I don't put much weight in whether the raid took an extra 300k damage and my Salvation healed for an extra 300k on a specific pull.

Lastly, I try to look at every death I had and identify what I could have done to prevent the death whether that be better positioning, better use of defensives, etc. Additionally, I look at every death that occurred to others and try to identify what I could have done to prevent it. Was my Guardian Spirit up? Was I prioritizing the wrong target with the healing spells I was casting at that time? Did someone need a Leap of Faith? Questions like that is what I am asking myself during that part of the analysis.

8. Please include your character log report showcasing your performance on the relevant bosses of the tier. If your logs are private, please change your Warcraftlogs login and list the username/password here so we can access your logs. If you aren't comfortable listing it publicly, please PM it to Palin privately on these forums. Please remember to change your WCL login again a few days later after we've reviewed your application.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... &spec=Holy

9. Of the above logs, please do a quick analysis of what fights you did well on, what went wrong on certain fights, etc. Use this chance to explain any context behind good/bad logs.

I was happiest with my performance on fights like Zek'voz, Vectis, and Zul where I was able to identify where I could afford to do damage. Especially on Zul where between damaging spells, dispels, and utility, healing spells only make up about 50% of my casts. Vectis I was especially happy with both my healing and damage numbers. Any fight where I am able walk way happy with both is a good fight. However, on Vectis I was also able to save someone with my Guardian Spirit and even was able to break up a double omega vector (although not on our actual kill) with Leap of Faith on the fly without hearing about others using the spell in that manner or preparing for it beforehand. I left Vectis progression feeling like I had truly mastered the fight.

10. Can your PC handle WoW at high effects (Lust, Scorp Room, etc.)?

I've actually played WoW up until this point on a glorified chromebook. I've been able to manage but it has been taking a toll and it has lead to frustration all expansion. As a result, I've invested in an extremely good setup. All the parts arrived this week and I'll be doing my first computer build this weekend. I'm excited for both the quality of life and improvements in my performance in game that I expect this to provide.

11. Please include a SS of your raiding UI. IF A KEYBINDING IS NOT SHOWN NO YOUR FRAME, PLEASE EXPLAIN AND list any relevant keybinds not shown in the screenshot. Make sure we can see everything that pops up in a raid, meaning take the SS in combat in LFR or something of the like so we can see your boss mods, timer positioning, WeakAuras, raid frames, etc.

https://imgur.com/ugGzPbo

Just jumped in LFR quick, everything should be there except fight specific WAs. I've wanted to have additional WAs to track raid CDs, mana, etc for awhile but it hasn't been possible yet because of my computer.

Add-on wise I just run DBM (probably looking to move to BigWigs for next tier) and WA for raid performance, ERT for notes

Keybind 3 is a Dispel/Purge macro, Keybind 4 is a Binding Heal/Flash Heal macro (which is now effectively just Flash Heal since holy priests don't really run BH anymore), everything is mouse-overs for anything targeted.

12. Tell us a bit about yourself. Age, gender, work/school, hobbies, etc. Add anything else you feel is pertinent.

Hey! My name is Josh and I'm a 29 year old male living in Greenville, SC. I have a degree in Software Engineering and had been working as a Software Engineer (until Thursday) ever since I graduated college over six years ago. I'm definitely the type of person who only plays one game at a time so that is currently WoW but in the past I've played other games like League of Legends and Magic: the Gathering at similar high levels. I love staying healthy and working out, I played multiple sports throughout high school and stayed active with intramurals while in college, basketball being my favorite sport to both play and watch. Other than that most of my free time is spent with friends and my girlfriend. I love board games and card games so I'm always trying to rope them into new games that I have acquired while we are hanging out.

13. Out-of-game contact information - Discord tag, Battle.net ID, etc. Some way we can contact you besides these forums.

Discord - JoshJ#0887, bnet - ZZoMa#1629

Discord is the best way to get a hold of me.
Palin
The Professor

Re: Hughheals - Priest

Postby Palin » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:25 pm

Hey Hugh, thanks so much for your interest with us and taking the time to apply. We appreciate the time and effort you put in here! Sorry to hear about your layoff :(

A few questions:

-What's your comfort level with Disc outside of Mother and why opt to raid primarily as a Holy Priest? Disc was better on some fights especially on prog where the extra DPS is needed.

-Looking at your logs I see you've for the most part switched spamming Binding Heal to spamming Flash Heal as your filler. Most high HPS Holy Priests now are opting to use more PoH and Sanctify. For example your latest Vectis was only 9 PoHs. Comparing to another random log that had 42 for a similar fight time. Obviously your approach is better for tank healing but not as much pure HPS. Just curious your thought process on why you go this route?

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/co ... pe=healing

Same thing with your recent Mythrax night, only 48 PoHs all night across 21 pulls. Lots of Flash. Again curious your thought process!

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/MZ ... =5&wipes=1

Thanks in advance.
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:53 am

Further, I'd ask you take a look at your most recent Fetid and post your thoughts on what you feel you did well and what you could have done better. Thanks!

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/HB ... source=188
jonesjg

Postby jonesjg » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:03 pm

-What's your comfort level with Disc outside of Mother and why opt to raid primarily as a Holy Priest? Disc was better on some fights especially on prog where the extra DPS is needed.

Yeah, unfortunately my comfort level isn't nearly as high on disc as I would prefer and it definitely hindered my personal performance this tier. As far as why I opted to raid primarily as Holy, it mostly just never felt like the right time to make the switch. We had a disc priest going into the tier and thought the split was better than 2 disc, which might also be wrong in hindsight but I believe it was mostly consensus at the time. While we were on Mother that disc priest ended up main swapping to MW and I felt confident enough switching to disc on that fight since HPS requirements are low and most of the necessity is in the CDs (or at least with the strategy we do). At the time, I played around with disc in heroic farm but just never got to the point I felt like I wasn't hurting the raid by bringing it to Zek'voz progression. Knowing that I was likely playing Holy anyways on Vectis and we were looking for a replacement disc, I stopped bringing disc to heroic in an effort to make them go smoother, that was definitely a mistake. Because of our pace of progression we didn't always hit the same DPS walls that other guilds did when they progressed on a much lower ilvl. By the time we were on Vectis we had already recruited a replacement disc priest. The first time I really felt the missing DPS was on Zul in 8.1. I had prepared to use the Twist Magic strategy as Holy on Zul progression but that unfortunately went away. At that point it would have been really nice to be capable of switching to disc but I just wasn't confident at that point. I ended up just playing holy and heavily dpsing the boss to try to make up for it. In hindsight with pretty mediocre HPS numbers and still no where near the DPS of disc, even if I lacked confidence to play disc up to the standards I have for myself as holy it was probably still correct. I was worried about shifting things around too much last minute when it already felt like we were close to a kill but I probably ended up causing more harm than good.

-Looking at your logs I see you've for the most part switched spamming Binding Heal to spamming Flash Heal as your filler. Most high HPS Holy Priests now are opting to use more PoH and Sanctify. For example your latest Vectis was only 9 PoHs. Comparing to another random log that had 42 for a similar fight time. Obviously your approach is better for tank healing but not as much pure HPS. Just curious your thought process on why you go this route?

Yeah that is definitely the approach I've taken, however I haven't had much experience healing so far in 8.1 and definitely think it needs some improvements. My thought process for going down this route is that at any given time the players most likely to die are the tanks + players with omega vectors and that FH does the most HPS on exactly those players. However, I agree it is a mistake to be treating the situation as binary as I have been. In situations where the tanks and players with omega vectors aren't in immediate risk of dying I need to be able to recognize that and use PoH accordingly. With the additional MPS usage of PoH over FH I'll have to alter my strategy additionally by weaving in Heal over FH in situations as well but I believe the overall outcome would be more throughput on my end.

Same thing with your recent Mythrax night, only 48 PoHs all night across 21 pulls. Lots of Flash. Again curious your thought process!

No great reasoning here, unfortunately. We had decided during Zek'voz/Vectis progression that we were never going to try to push past Zul and both times we killed Zul it was early in the night and our RL surprised us by suggesting we give it some pulls for fun. I simply hadn't done my usual research and preparations for the fight and it clearly shows. Quickly looking at logs, it seems like the # of FH and PoH that I have cast versus optimal is almost polar opposite. I'm actually surprised this works mana wise so I'd have to look further but it seems like on a quick glance you just need to lean even heavier into Heal which is extremely MPS friendly.

Further, I'd ask you take a look at your most recent Fetid and post your thoughts on what you feel you did well and what you could have done better. Thanks!

Ha! Yeah I have been happier with my performance than on that Fetid kill. So to start out, the most obvious thing I could have done better is damage taken. I got punted into a fountain and had to spend considerable time self healing to make sure it didn't result in a death. I'm pretty happy with # of casts for the length of the fight, looking at top parsing priests for the fight it seems like I am on par and moving effectively. Some of the priests have lower cast #s with more PoH introduced so that might be something I need to explore but other priests have very similar spell usage to me so it might just be preference on a fight like this. Holy Word, PoM, CoH, Halo usage are something I feel is acceptable but not exception and something that could be improved. Serenity is a bit on the low side of acceptable even. I've been having a bit of trouble getting tricked into delaying them to try to make more efficient use. I've found it a bit unintuitive but I've started to realize that every time I delay a Serenity to try to be more efficient in favor of a FH cast I am basically losing like ~12% of a Serenity. And if the Serenity I'm delaying isn't getting 12% of a cast better than it wasn't worth it HPS wise. It looks like Guardian Spirit was entirely overwritten but I wouldn't put that blame on myself. We don't have a system for defensive in the guild so when the tank calls for them it is kind of a free for all. I don't remember if I communicated that I had it but if I didn't, that is something I could have done better. Even better, I could make the entire raid better by suggesting a better system for it. I've mentioned it off hand in the past how I see top guilds like Limit and Method handle it but we haven't adapted a different strategy. I'm happy with Halo usage to help with DPS as well, because of our strategy of not moving the boss onto the big blob I think it is pretty difficult to hit 3 enemies with Halo ever so I think 2 would be optimal and 1.6 is acceptable. I suppose the thing I am most proud of in Fetid progression is identifying how little EHRPS our DK OT actually required and acting on that. I instructed our healing team to lean into the death strikes and acted on my own advice accordingly. This kill is a bit wonky because of my fountain dive (since a big # of spells were cast on myself) but you can see it a bit here and also in the other kill we've had. In the first kill I had actual 0 spells cast targeting the OT and only a handful on the other kill.
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:47 am

Hey Hugh, thanks so much for the detailed reply. Love your self analysis with the Serenity/FH stuff, you're definitely on the right track for analyzing your logs.

After some deliberation we've decided to unfortunately pass on your application. We feel you have potential to be able to play at the level we're progging at but the timing is poor with BoD only one week away to catch you up on some of the best practices we'd want to see with a healer before jumping into prog. As is your experience is a little low to justify bringing you on the push we're about to jump into the next few weeks, and some of those instincts that come with raiding at a higher level aren't there. You certainly have the right attitude to get there, and are on track though.

We may circle back later in the tier if we have need still and if you have a bit more experience under our belt. Or feel free to reapply down the line if you get into a higher caliber progression team and keep developing as a player and get more of that high level raiding experience under your belt. Hopefully our paths can cross again and there be a slightly better fit between your prog level and ours with time.

Thanks again and best of luck wherever you land and into BoD! Take care.

Return to “Applications”