Bemarus - Mistweaver Monk

Want to join? Post your application here.

Moderator: Officer

faf

Bemarus - Mistweaver Monk

Post by faf » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:05 am

1. Character name, server

Bemarus - WyrmrestAccord

2. Class, Race, Spec

Monk, Blood Elf, Mistweaver. I have experience on all 3 specs, but am most competitive on MW as it's my main. WW can be an off-spec. Current neck level is 31.

3. Armory link

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... rd/Bemarus

4. What are your usual playing hours? Are there days/times when you are consistently unavailable? Inform us of your daily work/school schedule, what time do you get home from work/school, and what time must you be in bed for the next day. Are you able to make our raid times in general? Is this availability going to change within the next few months, or with a change in Semester (if applicable)?

My usual playing hours are after class, and I usually schedule all of my classes in the morning/early afternoon so they don't conflict with raid times. I take raiding very seriously, despite being from an RP server and only being 5/8m. Spring semester begins for me on January 6th, and I've yet to register for classes but am not anticipating anything to change in my overall availability.

5. Previous Experience

I have been playing on-and-off since TBC, and playing seriously since WoD. I have a relatively short raiding experience, but have achieved AotC on every single tier in Legion, minimally. In Legion, I progressed through five bosses during Antorus before leaving the guild due to disagreements with the officer team (they used DKP and I watched them DE a mythic tier token and 980 terminus trinket. It was rough). I was 5/8m with <Pathetic> during Uldir, later 7/8m when I trialed with <Vulgar> before leaving due to personal reasons. Currently 3/9m in DA w/ pulls on Opulence.

Why do you want to leave your current guild? Why do you want to join us? Specifically, what interests you in our band of merry idiots?

Well, my current guild <Pathetic> recently died, and it died on my birtdhay. Yahoo. Our healing officer was dating our GM and it caused a ton of internal tension between officers. I served as recruitment officer and we finished 5/8m, or sever 6th. It's WRA, though, so not all too impressive. Your raid times are ideal for me, as we raided a similar time.

My old guild was highly dysfunctional. Relationships between officers like that, namely online and impulsive ones, have never worked out. We had several DPS who simply lacked a competitive drive and would show up with the expectation of being carried throughout the tier, which rubbed me the wrong way. In addition to that, very few of our higher performing players were willing to teach the under performers how to play, despite officer insistence to do so.

7. Give us some info on your class knowledge and self performance analysis in this section:

I've been playing MW since WoD, though I had a brief stint as a fire mage during the start of Emerald Nightmare. I historically struggled on high-movement fights and balancing boss DPS with healing, but I believe I remedied some of my biggest shortcomings, as reflected in my warcraftlogs. I'm open to any and all critique or criticism anybody might have, though!

7a. What is your general action priority? Opener and neutral game, and any special CDs?

As a healer, I don't have an "opener" besides emptying out my renewing mists as the pull timer goes down, as well as pre pot. I usually mana tea on CD to spam vivify and end with an essence font cast. Revival was treated as a floating CD in my guild and by my healing officer (for better or worse; I'll leave the judgement of that decision up to you guys), and was used on-call as a band-aid for mistakes.

7b. What resources and practices do you use to keep up with your class and maximizing your DPS/HPS/Surivability?

I use the monk class discord, in addition to the spreadsheet provided there for gear comparison and stat weights. I have several friends in US/World top 100 guilds who I often consult for advice, too.

7c. How do you prioritize gear upgrades? What stats do you prioritize, how do you choose between ilvl upgrades that don't have your preferred stats, etc.?

( Pawn: v1: "hehe": Class=Monk, Spec=Mistweaver, Intellect=1, Indestructible=0.01, MovementSpeed=0.01, HasteRating=0.76, MasteryRating=0.96, Versatility=0.88, CritRating=0.8, Leech=0.01, Avoidance=0.01 )

Current pawn string. Generally speaking, crit/vers are my top priority, but I usually take a piece if it's an ilvl upgrade unless it's rings or trinket.

7d. What fights in the current tier do you swap Talents for?

My talents remain relatively the same throughout Uldir, with the exception of stronger single-target healing on Fetid via mist wrap and lifecycles since our Hpally swapped to disc priest. The other MW in our guild and I often rotated the single-target healing job between us two during the last week of prog before the guild died, namely on Zul.

In DA, I run a standard build of mana tea, jade serpent statue, and upwelling. Occasionally I'll swap to refreshing jade wind if the fight has a lot of raid-wide damage and everyone is relatively clumped.

7e. How do you analyze your performance on a new fight and figure out how/what you can improve on next week?

I plug the logs into wowanalyzer and use that data to fill out my spreadsheet. It's a bit different for healers, and usually I'm aware of glaring issues in my gameplay after a few pulls. It's a fight-by-fight basis, as well as comp dependent. I've struggled historically on high-mobility fights, but know that's been largely remedied by now.

8. Please include your character log report showcasing your performance on the relevant bosses of the tier.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... rd/bemarus

9. Of the above logs, please do a quick analysis of what fights you did well on, what went wrong on certain fights, etc. Use this chance to explain any context behind good/bad logs.

Like I said before, high mobility fights were always difficult for me, and a particularly big improvement is seen between my first and second Fetid kills. A lot of that boiled down to execution on the DPS part, but also positioning on mine, as for the first kill I was regularly having to run all around the room to spot-heal people who had 4+ stacks ticking on them, as well as not being in a good position to revival and top everyone up quickly.

For DA, my Grong kill could've been improved. I died towards the end, and didn't use fort brew or coastal healing potion. That would've definitely kept me alive for much longer. I used healthstone a lot earlier in the fight around 30ish seconds as a safety precaution. That kill was overall sloppy from a pure raidwide perspective, and definitely wouldn't happen again.

10. Can your PC handle WoW at high effects?

Yes. I have a GTX 1080 and regularly get 60+ FPS, so that isn't an issue.

11. Please include a SS of your raiding UI. IF A KEYBINDING IS NOT SHOWN NO YOUR FRAME, PLEASE EXPLAIN AND list any relevant keybinds not shown in the screenshot. Make sure we can see everything that pops up in a raid, meaning take the SS in combat in LFR or something of the like so we can see your boss mods, timer positioning, WeakAuras, raid frames, etc.

SS of in-combat UI. I don't have anything from Uldir, so I have to quickly run to the world boss. Sorry!
https://imgur.com/a/eqv4zK7

SS of clique bindings
https://imgur.com/a/PYgIEUn

12. Tell us a bit about yourself. Age, gender, work/school, hobbies, etc. Add anything else you feel is pertinent.

I'm 21 years old (yesterday was the big 21) from Florida. I currently attend University of North Florida as a junior, and have been playing WoW for my whole life. I started on RS, and graduated to WoW pretty quickly. I play League, OW, Stellaris, and EU4; a big strategy nerd. I was the former recruitment officer of my guild, <Pathetic>, before it collapsed around me due to roster issues and guild drama. I look forward to hearing back from you guys, and if I don't, I hope you have a Merry Christmas!

13. Out-of-game contact information - e-mail (PM it to Palin if you prefer private), Discord tag, Battle.net ID, etc. Some way we can contact you besides these forums.

jacobmgerard@gmail.com
Jacob#1197 - Discord
Faf#11452 - Bnet.
Last edited by faf on Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Palin
The Professor

Re: Bemarus - Mistweaver Monk

Post by Palin » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:39 pm

Hi Faf, thanks for your interest with us and taking the time to apply.

I have a few questions regarding your UI:

-Is what you have on Clique the only thing that is bound? What about things like Fort Brew, Leg Sweep, Roll, etc?

Your raid frames are not centered so your eyes are constantly shifting to the left instead of near your feet for dodging. Have you considered putting frames in a more centered positioning?

I've looked through a few entire nights worth of logs for you and haven't once seen you use Coastal Healing potion, any reason for this? Your Healthstone and Fortifying Brew usage is also almost non-existent. Are these keybound and if so why aren't you using them more?

This article on Peak goes over that Soothing > Vivify is an HPS/mana loss vs hard casting Vivify. It also screws up your Jade Statue vs keeping it on a target taking constant damage. Were you aware of this from your research and if so why continue to play the style of Soothing->Vivify almost exclusively as per your logs?

Looking over your full night of your first Vectis kill, what do you think you could have improved upon with your play? Here's the log for reference: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/L1 ... 5&cutoff=5

Thanks in advance!
Palin
The Professor

Post by Palin » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:13 am

Closing due to lack of response.
faf

Post by faf » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:10 pm

Hey there,

I've since updated my UI, but back then I had my action bars hidden. I only bound my healing spells to Clique, for the most part, with everything else being on my keyboard. You can see an updated version here: https://imgur.com/a/rUnW6FA
As for raid frame placement, I have considered it, but I don't necessarily think it's an impediment to my overall ability to raid.

As for casting SM -> viv, I virtually always open an encounter using mana tea and pumping vivify into tanks/any other target taking a lot of damage. It isn't worth taking mana tea, in my opinion, and saving it for specific mechanics in an encounter. Using it on CD, give or take 10-15 seconds, is a lot more efficient, and for many fights it tends to line up regardless. I was aware of the difference between hardcasting and SM-> viv.

As for vectis, I took too many stacks of lingering infection. I could've used diffuse magic more, and fort brew, which I didn't cast at all.
Palin
The Professor

Post by Palin » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:43 am

Thanks Bem.

Do you not finding switching your Soothing Mist target to Viv them during the fight takes your Jade Statue target away from the tank when running that talent? Even outside of the Mana Tea windows you still seem to go SM -> Viv instead of hardcasting, whats the rationale there?

One of the original questions asked about Coastal Healing Potion and I don't see that on your bars. Looking at your night on Opulence/Jadefire I don't see a single cast either - are you aware this doesn't share CD with Healthstone?

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/XN ... &source=23

Thanks.