Kidsmoke - Paladin - Retribution

Want to join? Post your application here.

Moderator: Officer

kidsmoke

Kidsmoke - Paladin - Retribution

Postby kidsmoke » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:50 pm

1. Character name, Server

Kidsmoke, US-Mal'ganis

2. Class, Race, and Spec (and Artifact Level)

Paladin, Blood Elf, Retribution, neck is at 31 (385 ilvl)

3. Link to an Armory profile, and an explanation of anything that may not be readily apparent from your Armory profile (alternate sets of gear, currently PvP-specced, etc.)

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... s/Kidsmoke

4. What are your usual playing hours? Are there days/times when you are consistently unavailable? Inform us of your daily work/school schedule, what time do you get home from work/school, and what time must you be in bed for the next day. Are you able to make our raid times in general? Is this availability going to change within the next few months, or with a change in Semester (if applicable)?

Work 8a - 5p. Typical playtimes are weekdays after work and some on weekends. I can easily make your raid times. They actually work out a bit better than my current raid times.

5. Discuss your prior endgame raiding experience. Specify your experience with Heroic/Mythic in previous content as well as your experience in the current tier.

Raided a lot during TBC (up to Mu'ru) - WotLK (killed 0 Light, HC LK). Took a big break, came back casually during SoO. Did some Mythic raiding in BRF during WoD. Transitioned back to Mythic raiding full-time during ToS in Legion. Joined Substance (now Power Gaming) during a rebuild on Mythic Mistress. Didn't clear Mythic Kil'jaeden in time but did clear Mythic in Antorus.

6. Why do you want to leave your current guild? Why do you want to join us? Specifically, what interests you in our band of merry idiots?

I'm not crazy excited to get out of my current guild. I like the players there, but we have far too many melee and I want to raid progression content as well as raid more consistently. My current guild should down Mythic G'huun next week, but waiting a month to come in a farm boss is just boring.

7. Give us some info on your class knowledge and self performance analysis in this section:

7a. What resources and practices do you use to keep up with your class and maximizing your DPS/HPS/Surivability?
-Class discord can be useful, but mainly I just use Warcraftlogs. If I see I am underperforming on a fight I see what other higher performing Rets are doing. Raidbots and Simulationcraft as well for gearing.

7b. What fights in the current tier do you swap Talents and Traits to something different than the norm (if at all)? What do you swap and why? Feel free to list on a boss per boss basis.
-Mythic Zul, Divine Judgment, Zeal talents are pretty standard these days, but I was really the first Ret to double stack our Divine Right trait with Archive. Placed number 2 overall (yay padding), but the more important thing was that I placed number 4 for Boss damage and was the only Ret in the top ten for both at that time. There are more Rets double stacking Divine Right now. Absolutely busted trait if you maintain it's uptime.

7c. How do you analyze your performance on a new fight and figure out how/what you can improve on next week? Don't just say you use logs and compare to others of your class - what specifically are you looking for when you have a good/bad parse?
-Related to above the big things to look for as Ret is their damage break down, Retribution passive, other buff uptimes, number of casts, when cooldowns were used, fight length, etc.

8. Please include your character log report showcasing your performance on the relevant bosses of the tier. If your logs are private, please change your Warcraftlogs login and list the username/password here so we can access your logs. If you aren't comfortable listing it publicly, please PM it to Palin privately on these forums. Please remember to change your WCL login again a few days later after we've reviewed your application.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... s/kidsmoke

9. Of the above logs, please do a quick analysis of what fights you did well on, what went wrong on certain fights, etc. Use this chance to explain any context behind good/bad logs.

I really have no desire to do a log analysis and comb through all of my fights. If this disqualifies me then so be it. If I have a super low parse it's typically because I did something stupid and died. I'm more concerned with my fights improving week over week and I think the trend on most of my fights show that. If you want to see me at my worst, look at Fetid. I'm usually on small add duty and Rets lacking mobility combined with the fights mechanics usually result in pretty poor performance. Though I don't believe I could have a high parse without being on the large add.

10. Can your PC handle WoW at high effects (Lust, Scorp Room, etc.)?

Yes.

11. Please include a SS of your raiding UI. IF A KEYBINDING IS NOT SHOWN ON YOUR FRAME, PLEASE EXPLAIN AND list any relevant keybinds not shown in the screenshot. Make sure we can see everything that pops up in a raid, meaning take the SS in combat in LFR or something of the like so we can see your boss mods, timer positioning, WeakAuras, raid frames, etc.

https://imgur.com/a/JrLLrEl

12. Tell us a bit about yourself. Age, gender, work/school, hobbies, etc. Add anything else you feel is pertinent.

30's,work full-time. Been playing WoW and my Paladin since 2007. I've mained Ret since 2008. I like long walks on the beach.

13. Out-of-game contact information - Discord tag, Battle.net ID, etc. Some way we can contact you besides these forums.

B-tag: kidsmoke#1729
Palin
The Professor

Re: Kidsmoke - Paladin - Retribution

Postby Palin » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:26 pm

Hi Kid, thanks for your app.

Your damage is obviously elite but it definitely comes off like you don't really care if you join us or not.

I really have no desire to do a log analysis and comb through all of my fights.

The question is there for you to explain context behind fights and see what you look for when you use Warcraftlogs as you said you've done religiously. While you don't have many bad logs for example the 8% parse on Fetid you died twice - once rotting from Paraxysm with no Healthstone or Coastal used, another from a Breathe. That's your chance to review what happened and show us you know what to do to fix such an issue going forth.

Speaking I've looked through about 7 of your full night logs and haven't seen you use a single Coastal Healing potion - are you aware they are no longer on a CD with Healthstone and haven't been since 8.0 prepatch?

Likewise your HS usage is really low, it looks like you're clicking that on your UI is that accurate? Any reason you're not min/maxing your survival with these?

Thanks!
kidsmoke

Postby kidsmoke » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:39 pm

Speaking I've looked through about 7 of your full night logs and haven't seen you use a single Coastal Healing potion - are you aware they are no longer on a CD with Healthstone and haven't been since 8.0 prepatch?

I actually wasn't aware of this, not sure how I didn't get the memo. Thanks for pointing that out.

As for HS usage, nature of a Paladin is that I have a lot of tools to save myself in emergency situations. I probably rely on those first over the HS more than I should, but my thinking is typically that a free boosted FoL or WoG, regenerates whereas I am usually saving HS for last since I get one per fight.
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:15 am

Hey Kid, after some review we're going to pass. Your damage is elite and you'd make a great addition to our raid, but we don't see the desire to really play here that makes us think you'd enjoy being here and put in 110% on progression. If at any point you want to take things a little more seriously and are serious about joining then feel free to re-app or message me. We'd love a player of your caliber but your heart has to be in it to be effective, and I don't think it is right now.

Take care and thanks again.

Return to “Applications”