Millzman - 382 Disc Priest

Want to join? Post your application here.

Moderator: Officer

Millzman

Millzman - 382 Disc Priest

Postby Millzman » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:29 pm

1. Character name, Server
Millzman-Illidan

2. Class, Race, and Spec (and Artifact Level)
Goblin Disc Priest. 28 HoA

3. Link to an Armory profile, and an explanation of anything that may not be readily apparent from your Armory profile (alternate sets of gear, currently PvP-specced, etc.)
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... n/Millzman

4. What are your usual playing hours? Are there days/times when you are consistently unavailable? Inform us of your daily work/school schedule, what time do you get home from work/school, and what time must you be in bed for the next day. Are you able to make our raid times in general? Is this availability going to change within the next few months, or with a change in Semester (if applicable)?
I mostly play late afternoon/evening. I work mornings from 7-3cst so any time after that i can generaly be found playing some kind of game. I don't forsee being unable to make any raid times due to this schedule.

5. Discuss your prior endgame raiding experience. Specify your experience with Heroic/Mythic in previous content as well as your experience in the current tier.
I started raiding in the beginning of Legion with a guild called S A D B O Y S - Malganis. This is where I learned how to play the game at a higher level. We achieved CE Xavius but unfortunately disbanded early into NH due to roster and attendance issues. From there i shifted through a couple guilds until forming a guild called Brocoli-Ysondre with a few people I met along the way. With this guild I got 6/10 NH and 6/9ToS. Shortly after killing Mistress once again the guild stopped raiding due to not having enough people. It was at this point that I joined Narcosis-Illidan during Kiljaeden progression. After killing Kiljeaden we went on to achieve 11/11 Antorus and 8/8 Uldir(about a day after you :P ).

6. Why do you want to leave your current guild? Why do you want to join us? Specifically, what interests you in our band of merry idiots?
I'm looking to leave Narcosis largely due to the deteriorating raiding atmosphere. Our raid is becoming progressively more hostile and is now at the point where instead of looking forward to coming home to finish progression on a boss, I now dread logging on and accepting the invite. I'm looking for a guild I can enjoy raiding with again and recapture the feeling that I first got back in EN where i couldn't wait to get home and get into the raid. Due to my previous experience with drifting through dying guilds in Legion i'm looking for something stable where I know that I can call home. Mend speaks very highly of you and I hope I can fit into the band.

7. Give us some info on your class knowledge and self performance analysis in this section:

7a. What resources and practices do you use to keep up with your class and maximizing your DPS/HPS/Surivability?
Focused Will is my primary resource for all things Disc. From there Warcraftlogs is where i'll head to check and see what everyone is doing and more importantly work to understand their choices. I had mained shadow throughout legion and due to the state shadow was in going into Uldir I made the decision to swap to Disc to fill a gap in our healing team and have been loving it. Because of this i've been working to absorb all the information I can get my hands on so I can learn all the intricacies of my spec.

7b. What fights in the current tier do you swap Talents and Traits to something different than the norm (if at all)? What do you swap and why? Feel free to list on a boss per boss basis.
For Zekvoz and Zul I opt for Purge the Wicked instead of Halo to elliminate possible CC Breaks.
Early in progression Vectis and Fetid gave consideration for using Lenience over Evangelism. Neither of these fights have prolonged periods of damage and instead feature select few players taking high damage at a time(Omega vector and the tanks for Fetid). In the end I played Holy for the first Vectis kill for ease of cooldown assignment and because our intermission were very messy which holy could contribute to more. For Fetid I ended up using Evangelism because it our positioning had me solo healing the south side of the room with the hpal nearby but he was focused on the tanks as our only dedicated tank healer. Because of this I favored the extension from evang to allow for better attonment coverage.

7c. How do you analyze your performance on a new fight and figure out how/what you can improve on next week? Don't just say you use logs and compare to others of your class - what specifically are you looking for when you have a good/bad parse?
I'm a big advocate for positioning. I'm always checking my environment to see whats around me. "Am I in the best possible spot to reach everyone? Can I adjust my position to potentially cover someone who is frequently have difficulties? Can I make the fight easier for everyone around me by adjusting my position to negate a mechanic?" are generally things i look for both during pulls and after the raid using logs. I often use the replay feature to try and spot any problems and to watch how the raid moves as a whole. I also check for damage patterns and ability overlap then try to determine the best way my spec can handle it within the context of the healing team. I enjoy working with the healing team early in progression to ensure we have everything covered and the fight is on point from a healing perspective.

8. Please include your character log report showcasing your performance on the relevant bosses of the tier. If your logs are private, please change your Warcraftlogs login and list the username/password here so we can access your logs. If you aren't comfortable listing it publicly, please PM it to Palin privately on these forums. Please remember to change your WCL login again a few days later after we've reviewed your application.
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/id/27812612 Our logs were originally private however it seems they've been made public post-progression. If something is missing i'll gladly work that out with you.

9. Of the above logs, please do a quick analysis of what fights you did well on, what went wrong on certain fights, etc. Use this chance to explain any context behind good/bad logs.
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/H7 ... pe=healing I'll be refering to this recent Vectis Kill.
For starters it's immediately seen that 2 people died at the same time from Omega Vector. Upon inspection neither of them received much in the way of healing. Both died with absorb remaining on their immunosuppression. This was my immuno/contagion cooldown. Currently Disc is unable to reasonably blanket all 20 members and while I had my cooldown active every with Omega Vector was covered, this is good. Normally any leftover healing absorbs passively get healed through. In this case however these 2 got vector transfered to them. Knowing that I did not cover them originally this should have immediately triggered me to react and emergency heal them as they likely still had a sizeable shield to get through. This unfortunately did not happen. By time they dipped low enough to get a response from the other healers it was too late. This was a lapse in my ability to read the situation and potentially means I need to track immunosupression in a better way to help prevent this in the future.
In addition to the deaths i ran out of mana with about 1 minute left in the fight having already used my 2nd potion. This was a mistake on my part likely cause by not respecting the fight and wanting to push my personal hps thinking the fight trivial. It seems this sentiment was shared by a number of the other healers as were there a couple of us OOM at that same time which is a scary situation. This may have been caused in part by the trial hpal doing relatively low healing causing us to need to play more efficiently. This was not recognized but luckily the boss died regardless.
Other than the deaths the fight was decent for me. In fact it's my highest hps log for the fight at the moment. I used my cooldowns properly, soaked, and healed my quadrant. I did get tagged by a couple gysers so there's still room for improvement.

10. Can your PC handle WoW at high effects (Lust, Scorp Room, etc.)?
Yes I typically play with a capped 99 FPS on High settings. On a fight like M-Zul I'll drop to around 60FPS when things start to get crazy.

11. Please include a SS of your raiding UI. IF A KEYBINDING IS NOT SHOWN NO YOUR FRAME, PLEASE EXPLAIN AND list any relevant keybinds not shown in the screenshot. Make sure we can see everything that pops up in a raid, meaning take the SS in combat in LFR or something of the like so we can see your boss mods, timer positioning, WeakAuras, raid frames, etc.
https://imgur.com/zpRCLRa This SS is missing a hidden mouseover action bar that I forgot to show. https://imgur.com/2Q4ugNZ The unknown icons are (top-left) Healthstone/Healthpot macrod together and an innervate whisper macro at the bottom.

12. Tell us a bit about yourself. Age, gender, work/school, hobbies, etc. Add anything else you feel is pertinent.
Well hi i'm Millz. I'm a 25 year old canadian pale white dude. I went to school for Computer engineering/programming and i'm still looking for a job in that area. In the meantime i'm working at the front desk of the only real hotel in my tiny hometown of about 4000 (including surrounding area). I spend a lot of my time playing WoW, whether thats working on alts, trying to push m+(unsuccessfully so far), or just hanging out. Outside wow I dabble in games like League, Dota, PubG or whatever RPG attracts my attention.

As I mentioned before I used to play shadow and am still very comfortable with the spec as well as holy if it is preferable for a given fight. Given I don't have any decent logs for shadow as I've spent very little time with in in BFA I felt it best to leave out of the genral app but i'll still mention it. I also have a MW Monk which i'm quite comfortable playing and have done a little bit of mythic with him. Millzchi-Illidan

13. Out-of-game contact information - Discord tag, Battle.net ID, etc. Some way we can contact you besides these forums.
bnet Millz#1973 Discord Millz#2390
nikolai
HALLO!

Re: Millzman - 382 Disc Priest

Postby nikolai » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:02 pm

Hi Millzman, thanks for the application.

More people will be along tonight and tomorrow to ask more specific questions, but I was wondering about what you think about the healing meta overall in wow currently and into 8.1, and where disc fits into it on fights where you only bring a limited amount of healers.

Thanks!
Millzman

Postby Millzman » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:29 pm

Hi Nikolai,

In my opinion the healer meta is relatively balanced. You could bring basically any healer comp to any fight and still do fine (you might struggle if you brought 5 blue dudes to Ghuun though). Going into 8.1 this will likely remain the same with disc getting whats probably the biggest slap to bring them a bit more inline. Disc in it's current design however seems to me like it will either be good/one of the top healers or never used largely due to the damage component of the spec but also because of it's flexibility. Baring a fight where disc isn't able to actually attack anything it can fit any damage pattern. I can't really think of a situation where you wouldn't want a disc in the raid. Even on a fight with an incredibly low healing requirement you still likely bring a disc and some tank healer (MW or Hpal).

Not really sure if that answers the question. I'm actually quite new to healing so I don't have much experience of what it's been like in the past, but based off what i've seen Discipline is an incredibly strong healer and will continue to be until it gets reworked or put in the dirt with a numbers nerf.
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:03 am

Hi Millz, thanks for your interest with us and the very well written application, we really appreciate it.

Looking at your Ghuun logs it seems you had some issues with Malignant Growth. How do you feel you could have dealt with this mechanic better and what solutions do you have for dodging better on future kills or even similar future boss mechanics?

Thanks!
Millzman

Postby Millzman » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:39 am

Hey Palin, while i'll admit there were times when I was caught out by the growths (specifically on our more recent attempts I seemed to have difficulties) as a whole I feel the growths themselves were not the cause of my issues. The fear actually caused me significant problems whether it be trying to sneak in a Penance before turning around or simply not being turned enough away from the boss while moving away from growths. I rotated through a number of weak auras for the fear and none of them seemed to be effective for helping me with the mechanic. I think the cause was more of a sense that I needed to push the absolute maximum dps/hps in that final phase due to multiple 1-2% wipes which of course caused me to lose focus on the larger picture of as long as we don't die to growths or get feared the boss will fall over.
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:18 pm

Hey again Mills.

I went through your logs pretty in depth and noticed you performance extremely well on the earlier 7 bosses. The Ghuun is standing out because it's such a departure from your previous performances. Not just the Fears but other things as well that can be improved upon when burning a high HPS/DPS enrage.

I'd be curious your analysis of your performance on these 2 nights in P3. Outside of what we already talked about with the Fears and how you feel you could improve, there's more here than just that. I don't mean to be an ass... but you can make a strong argument that your performance cost your guild 3-4 would be kills before ultimately defeating it. Even the kill where you died early you tried your best to take them with you :P Luckily a Brez was available and you got a kill. But you can make an argument the guild somewhat killed it despite of you than because of you.

As I don't need to tell you, these end bosses tend to all be the same. KJ/Argus/Ghuun - last phase is "don't die and you'll meet the HPS/DPS check." Or "get there with all 20 alive and we'll be fine." What holds guilds back from earlier kills is inconsistency and bad mechanical play that burns Brezes before the important phases or early deaths in a burn that lead to a loss of a damage/healing check. What concerns us about your Ghuun is you were that guy holding the team back cuz of a lack of mechanical or survival play turning into early deaths.

So I'd be curious if you looked at those 7 deep P3 pulls you had on the last night of Ghuun and analyze each one and what you feel you could have done to survive better or stay alive a bit longer. Here's that link: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/z3 ... fficulty=5

This isn't just all Fear as aforementioned, you only looked to get Feared once. I see 3 Growth deaths, a few rot deaths, some MCes, etc. What do you feel you could have done differently? And perhaps most importantly, what steps did you or are you going to take to make sure this doesn't happen again on a future boss fight? What did you learn and what did you implement to improve in the future? Because looking at your second week, it didn't get much better. The same issues I see in your first week are there in week #2, and there are 0% wipes where you rot and could have absolutely stayed alive longer with better play or being more mindful of your survival. So if we were to Trial you, what would you be looking to improve and more importantly, how are you going to improve it? Convince us that if we Trial you and you do good on the easier bosses in BoD we're not going to see this problem again when we get to an end boss.

Thanks in advance.
Millzman

Postby Millzman » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:16 pm

To start with i'll preface my analysis by saying I completely agree with you. I really feel like I fell on my face on G'huun and did not perform anywhere close to what I consider my standard. Rather than improve as we continue our progression, I got progressively worse as our wipes added up especially once we started seeing p3 more consistently.

Wipe 1 - 9%
I won't dwell here too long. We had some early MC deaths as well as 2 rot deaths who did not recieve proper attention. The 2 slow deaths both recieved a rapture shield from me with little subsequent healing. There's an argument to be made that rather than using my rapture duration casting more shields to spread attonment I should have supplied them with more direct healing or reshield but i think that's largely a in hindsight decision. Notably however is Alexdh's MC, I did not have the debuff so would have been able to soak. After checking the replay there were 4 players able to soak in the area and must have been a miscommunication among them.

Wipe 2 - 9%
Again an early MC on the mage. I was orb running at the time not a lot I can do besides soaking before my turn which I was not able to get the debuff from the eager beavers. Phase 3, FOUR deaths to the same set of growths lol. I was one of them I barely even moved I can't defend myself here.

Wipe 5 - 4%
Starting with a tank death. Definitely could have thrown him a heal to help. I got MC'd looking at the replay it's a missed soak https://imgur.com/a/714f98P maybe it wasn't called? Potentially both myself and the warlock could have moved further to the right and someone in the middle get the debuff

Wipe 11 - 1%
Tank dies to an MC. Unfortunate Boil spawns set to explode during final feast, https://imgur.com/a/EE5BX2j this is just before they burst. After looking at the replay we may have been safe if we had stayed stacked since the burst from the far one may have hit both left side runners (Alexdh did get a debuff) but in the moment the tank made the decision to try and run out and soak.
I rotted down in p3 and did use desperate prayer? ever on that pull????? that's a rather large misplay. I did healthstone but no healthpot which likely means i ran out without noticing as they are bound together. Finally i could have spot healed myself at the end to extend my own life however there were multiple other people also at low hp many of whom had attonment active including myself, so I opted to cast smite/solace for the higher overall healing and potentially saving multiple lives rather than just prolonging only mine.

Wipe 12 - 0%
Skipping over the tank MC as I that seems to have been a personal play error where he rolled between 2 boils as they burst.
Phase 3 I get clipped by growths https://imgur.com/a/OFolRo This would have been a kill if I had not gotten hit despite being 1 down.

The Kill (Pog)
Yet another missed boil soak. I did have the debuff so was unable to help. Maybe a life grip to help Dazah gain some distance so let someone else get the soak however I do use the grip during the collapse phase on Babybrain to help him survive.
This is as was discussed above the fear into growths. Thankfully we had the res but I would argue others died because of my death as well.

Despite finding personal play errors and quite frankly awful mistakes to make, on none of these pulls was I the sole offender however that does not excuse these deaths since many of these could have been kills if I had not made that error.
Sorry for the wall. Takes a monster to respond to a monster :)
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:08 pm

Appreciate the in depth response! you went more in with some of the "how could I save other peoples fuck ups" than intended so I appreciate that analysis.

These 3 things stood out and were things I had picked up already as well, and wanted to follow up on :

I was one of them I barely even moved I can't defend myself here.

Phase 3 I get clipped by growths https://imgur.com/a/OFolRo This would have been a kill if I had not gotten hit despite being 1 down.

So how could these two things be avoided? How did you plan to fix it and how would you fix it in future rekills? What could you do better for future types of "dodging fire while high HPS is needed" mechanics? Anything you wish you had done differently BEFORE getting to these phases to prep for this? Anything looking at the logs that you could have utilized to dodge better?

I rotted down in p3 and did use desperate prayer? ever on that pull????? that's a rather large misplay. I did healthstone but no healthpot which likely means i ran out without noticing as they are bound together.

I was hoping you'd notice this and glad you did. Rotting to death at 0% wipe with Desperate Prayer and Coastal available is grounds for immediate shaming in our guild, and rightfully so. Everyone using a Coastal is more healing than a Revival. Of those 7 P3 pulls you didn't Coastal at all (good argument for seperating the keybinds) and Healthstoned only once. Desperate Prayer got used zero times in P3, effectively making it useless. You rotted to death without personal or healthstone or Coastal used and that's an identified problem. It may have cost your guild a pull or two alone closer to a kill.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/z3 ... =5&phase=3

So now that its identified - how do you fix it to not have it happen again? I'm genuinely curious your approach and how you'd train yourself to be more liberal using personals and/or recognizing yourself rotting in the heat of heavy HPS or ramping.

Thanks in advance!
Millzman

Postby Millzman » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:31 pm

An over-arching theme i'm noticing is I seem to be painfully unaware of my own character (health and sorroundings). Thank you for your analysis and sort of pointing this out to me, I really appreciate it. I think my solution to this might be to adjust my UI by making my raid frames a bit shorter and dropping my WAs to give myself more room to see around my character. Monitoring my health is something I remember struggling with back in Legion while playing Shadow as well, so this will be an ongoing effort for me to remedy.

So how could these two things be avoided? How did you plan to fix it and how would you fix it in future rekills?

While I don't think it's possible for a weak aura to tell you if your safe from a mechanic like the growths, there is one that shows the explosion timer https://wago.io/HJifiH5pm . I did not have this at the time and giving myself this extra reminder to check if i'm safe may have prevented those deaths. I have it now :)

Anything looking at the logs that you could have utilized to dodge better?

I think this is referring to goblin jump? Neither of these deaths could have been avoided by goblin jump. Yes the one where I didn't move I could have jumped out but as mentioned I didn't even make an attempt to dodge until it was too late. https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Pn ... &by=source I have made use of jump in other attempts.

So now that its identified - how do you fix it to not have it happen again? I'm genuinely curious your approach and how you'd train yourself to be more liberal using personals and/or recognizing yourself rotting in the heat of heavy HPS or ramping.

In regards to desperate prayer usage. It is something I track with WA and as of writing this I have made it glow if it is available and I am below 30% hp. Hopefully this will help me make better use of the ability. As for the healing potion I've moved it down off my mouseover only actionbar onto an always showing one to hopefully prevent running out without knowing. I've also added a WA for healthstone & healtpot to act as a reminder.

Thanks again for providing this feedback and taking the time. While going through logs i've identified a few areas for improvement outside of whats been mentioned here. (For example Shadow Covenant usage)
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:49 pm

Thanks! I was referring to Rocket Jump but seems like you already caught that and analyzed. Sounds like some positive changes, appreciate hearing your analysis and walking us through your process to improve.

Return to “Applications”