Hârdy-WindWalker Monk

Want to join? Post your application here.

Moderator: Officer

Hardy

Hârdy-WindWalker Monk

Postby Hardy » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:30 pm

1. Hârdy-Zul'jin
2. Monk, Blood Elf, WindWalker (26)

3. https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... H%C3%A2rdy

4. I play between 3 to 7 hours a day. I am currently a college student and working a part time job, so my mornings are also packed but after around 2:30ish and until 1-2am I am free to do whatever. I am available to make all the raid days and times always, and there would be nothing that would change it.

5. I like the people in my current guild, but the progression is just not where I want it to be because of many issues. I began raiding in legion and was an aotc raider until Antorus when I got my first cutting edge. I am currently 6/8M(it says 5/8M on my monk because they had me bring my rogue a few times and my demon hunter for zul).

6. Our progression is just not where I want it to be, and Spike Flail is notorious for being a solid guild with impressive realm and world rankings.

7. I have been playing monk and specifically ww monk for a bit over 2 years now, and over those 2 years I have put very large amounts of time into this class by reading articles on peakofserenity.com, or consulting the monk discord and forum, or exchanging tips and ideas with fellow monk friends and adversaries. I would not be comfortable playing any spec or class without knowing the in's and out's of it. I am also constantly studying the best monks in order to guarentee that I am doing everything correctly.

7a. Peakofserenity.com, the monk discord, warcraftlogs, and the forums.

7b. As of right now, ww monks don't have to change too much every boss dps-wise since whirling dragon punch is bis for St and aoe. The only exception to a change in a dps talent would be something like taking chi wave instead of chi burst on fetid because there is alot of downtime due to saving cooldowns and you dont really benefit off the extra chi since there is only one target. I take good karma for most of the bosses unless we need a ring of peace for fights like mythrax or Zek'Voz.

7c.I do use my logs and compare them to better monks, but I also use a great website called wowanalyzer.com where you input your logs and it gives you an assessment of how you are doing and what you can do better. I usually specifically look for if I need a change in my rotation or cooldown usage.

8.https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... h%C3%A2rdy

9. The fights I did well on were due to the good usage of cooldowns and timings on spells. When you choose to use fists of fury and whirling dragon punch on fights like vectis and MOTHER is huge because of the large aoe presence. A fight I did not do so good on was fetid primarily I believe due to the fact that I could not use my cooldowns on pull because we needed it for one of the small adds.

10. Definitely.
11. https://imgur.com/a/lpDmCG2

12.I am a 21 year old male currently studying political science and working as a food manager at Costco. Super interesting stuff! :)

13. Hardy#2048, Hardy#11628
Jules
Phil Kessel is my bae

Re: Hârdy-WindWalker Monk

Postby Jules » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:11 am

Hi Hardy, thanks for the app. Few questions for you, since there isn't a whole lot in your theorycrafting or log analysis:

• How do you decide which traits to use? RNG is a bitch but if you had your choice of any combination, what would it be?
  • Your UI is a bit fuzzy in that screenshot - can you clarify how you receive information such as buffs, CDs, etc?
  • Most monks are running Chi Burst on Fetid. You brought up using Chi Wave specifically, how did you come to the conclusion that Wave is better than the Chi you get from Burst based on logs? Just like to see the thought process when it comes to making decisions like that!

Hardy

Postby Hardy » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:55 pm

-For WW traits at the moment I received my knowledge from Mickey(a moderator on the monk discord) and in other times I have just theorycrafted with monk friends from other guilds that I have raided with in the past. The BiS setup at the moment for us is to take one meridian strikes in order to get 1 or in some very long fight 2 extra touch of deaths in a fight, one archive/laser matrix for the reorigination ray, and one open palm strikes since it is the highest parsing trait that doesnt give any large bonus like the other 2.

-Sorry about the ui being fuzzy, my images always do that with imgur its very annoying. As of right now monks dont have any buffs that we have to keep on our screen like it was in antorus for example with hit combo, and artifact trait buffs, and crackling jade lightning stacks from the legendary chest. For all of those buffs I had seperate weak auras for them all and put them in a spot on my screen where I could keep track of them without causing a hindrance to my visibility. If you would like to see a picture of my antorus ui when we did have alot of buffs i could prove that. But yeah to answer your question we don't have any buffs to keep track of really but if we did I would be using weak auras.

-You are right that many monks are running chi burst instead of chi wave on fetid. The reason that I have been using chi wave is because I cannot use my cooldowns on the boss on pull. We do not have enough damage for our small add, so they requested that I save everything for it to nuke it down. Chi wave, when against one target, does more damage than chi burst so I decided to swap to chi wave in order to makeup for some of the damage I would be losing by saving cooldowns. Now I am not saying I am totally right with this, its more of a theory that is hard to compare because most monks with superb parses on fetid can use their cooldowns on pull. I plan on doing more research and communicating with more people in order to figure out what is best for my situation on the boss.
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:17 pm

Thanks Hardy. Just an fyi we aren't raiding next week due to holiday and our next raid isn't till 11/28, so we'll probably hold making a decision on your app one way or another until later next week. We'll post if we have any more questions in that time but don't be surprised if you don't hear from us for a few days as we travel and such.
Hardy

Postby Hardy » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:07 pm

Sounds good thanks man!
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:26 pm

Hi again Hardy, how would you prepare for something like P3 Ghuun which is the only damage check of the fight occurs? Curious as to your research/preparation process for a fight you haven't' seen yet would be, thanks!
Hardy

Postby Hardy » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:55 pm

Well, I would be saving cooldowns roughly a minute and a half before the fight in order to guarantee that I can fully contribute to the burst phase. This shouldn't be a problem considering that phase 2 is mostly focused on running orbs and getting the soaks. However if we find that killing the spawn of ghuuns or adds that spawn from soaking the big puddle is too slow or people are getting infested from the ghuun adds then I can make that adjustment.
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:59 pm

What about something like trait choice or even gear to maximize damage in that phase?
Hardy

Postby Hardy » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:06 pm

For traits and gear I would be running what I have currently simply because it is my highest possible output of dps. However I would look into possibly using the agi trinket with vers on use from kings rest for more on demand burst over my corpuscle. I still wish that I had an Open Palm Strikes trait over the trait I have on my chest but as you said a few days ago, trait rng is a bitch.
Jules
Phil Kessel is my bae

Postby Jules » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:11 pm

Hi again! Speaking of trinkets- your 365 Plumage seems to sim higher than your Frenetic Corpuscle. What's your reasoning behind using Corpuscle over your Plumage (especially on a fight like Fetid where you specifically mention how important your controlled burst is?)

Hardy

Postby Hardy » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:09 pm

You are right that the majority of my best parses are with the plumage, but since I have been simming about 70 dps higher on raidbots with the corpuscle I have been trying to make it work. Last week was my last experimental week for it however and I will be using my plumage again for most fights especially Fetid.
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:26 am

Hey Hardy,

One concern we have your app is the amount of feelycraft overall. Now you do well no matter how you analyze yourself, and the caveat is that sims aren't be all end all since APL can be inaccurate or the fact that true Patchwerk fights don't exist. Still they're a useful resource we haven't seen you really reference yet when comparing items and maxing DPS. Since you finally mentioned that you sim yourself (i'll point out it took 5 posts for you to mention that word or Raidbots), I'm going to return to this question:

For traits and gear I would be running what I have currently simply because it is my highest possible output of dps. However I would look into possibly using the agi trinket with vers on use from kings rest for more on demand burst over my corpuscle. I still wish that I had an Open Palm Strikes trait over the trait I have on my chest but as you said a few days ago, trait rng is a bitch.

When you say look into it using a certain trinket, are you running that in RaidBots or seeing how it does within certain pulls on WCL? Do you feel raidbots can't accurate compare such items for a situation like P3 Ghuun?

Regarding Wave/Burst I saw you went Burst for yesterday's kill, what ended up changing your mind?

Thanks.
Hardy

Postby Hardy » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:46 pm

I would say a bit of both, I don't use my raidbots sims as an end all be all because as you said it isn't exactly realistic especially for specific moments like p3 ghuun. I typically see what the top monks use for that fight, look at my circumstances and see if my raid can do what their raid can do(like fetid for example) and then try it out. If my damage seems suboptimal then I try out the other trinket the following week. In reponse to the fact that I haven't mentioned raidbots once, I'm not exactly great at communicating everything via messages like this as you could probably tell already so I apologize for that. For our fetid kill yesterday I went burst instead if wave because of the fact that I had not tried it out yet even though I already explained why I had not used it prior. However I'm not quite sure how much it really affected my dps because the signifcant parse increase was from our change in strat. We 3 healed last night so we had an extra dps to lust on the 2nd set of adds and skip the 3rd set and just burn down the boss. This allowed me to use my cooldowns on the boss while he had the increased damage taken buff instead of the 3rd set of adds resulting in a much better parse.
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:01 pm

Thanks for the input. I would argue p3 ghuun is actually perfect for simming as its 2min exactly with no adds, little to no interruptions in damage if played right. But that's specific to that one fight, something like Vectis or Fetid the apl doesn't support. That's where context using it as a resource comes in.
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:37 pm

Hi Hardy, I sent you a friend request in Bnet (your Discord tag didn't seem to work). Let's connect tonight if you're free. Also can add me on Discord at Palin#8102. Thanks!
Hardy

Postby Hardy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:32 pm

Hi Palin, I figured the silence over the past week was due to you guys being uninterested. Because of this I have since found a new home for the upcoming tier. Thank for your time and good luck in 8.1!
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:36 am

Thanks for the update, best of luck!

Return to “Applications”