Kohzqt, 380 Disc/Holy/Shadow Priest

Want to join? Post your application here.

Moderator: Officer

Kohz

Kohzqt, 380 Disc/Holy/Shadow Priest

Postby Kohz » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:24 pm

1. Character name, Server

Kohzqt, Zul'jin

2. Class, Race, and Spec (and Artifact Level)

Priest, Blood Elf, Disc Main / Shadow and Holy Offspec / Neck Level 24 (I apologize for being low. I've been slacking on doing AP quests ever since my guild died).

3. Link to an Armory profile, and an explanation of anything that may not be readily apparent from your Armory profile (alternate sets of gear, currently PvP-specced, etc.)

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/zuljin/Kohzqt

4. What are your usual playing hours? Are there days/times when you are consistently unavailable? Inform us of your daily work/school schedule, what time do you get home from work/school, and what time must you be in bed for the next day. Are you able to make our raid times in general? Is this availability going to change within the next few months, or with a change in Semester (if applicable)?

My work schedule is very flexible. My boss doesn't care when I come to work as long as I fill my 8 hours + 1 hour lunch. I usually leave work at the latest 6PM EST so, I will not be late for raid unless I get into a car accident.

5. Discuss your prior endgame raiding experience. Specify your experience with Heroic/Mythic in previous content as well as your experience in the current tier.

Vanilla: I was busy playing Counter-Strike and Dota
BC: Barely played on my Warrior and Warlock.
Wrath: Began raiding Naxx/Ulduar on my warlock with my RL friends in a #1 guild (MoreMyth - Zangarmarsh) in a crappy, low-population realm.

Uprising (Aerie Peak) - Joined them once ToC was on farm as demo warlock but I could not handle the 20hour raiding schedule and my college laptop was too crappy to handle all the necessary graphics required at the time.

Surprise Mutiny (Cho'gall) - Best 3 day raiding guild in the US. Achieved US 33 H Lich King and US 30 H Halion on my warlock. Raided with current top end raiders such as Brightleaf and Turkeyburger.
SM fell apart before Cataclysm was launched :/

Cataclysm:
Hallowed(Wildhammer) - Achieved US 58 Cho'gall and US 54 Sinestra. Struggled on Ascendant council and guild decided to call it quits.

Catalyst/Johnny has Jaundice (Eonar) - 10//25 man with friends and got realm first madness of deathwing on 10man and we called it quits!

MoP/WoD:
I took a hiatus during the first 2 tiers of MoP.

Before The Fall - Joined during SoO and I was the healing/recruitment officer of the guild and ever since Highmaul launched, the raid atmosphere has been very unstable. We lost 2 core healers the day that Blackrock Foundry was launched and our resto druid just gave me a 1 week notice on Tuesday of the launch. The guild fell apart right before furnace progression.

LAID BACK -I played Ret paladin during progression. Even though we began HFC in August in a 9 hour schedule, we finished progression in very respectable US 138.

Legion (Shadow Priest Main / Disc Off spec):

Laid Back / Aquatic Supervisors / Full Mongo - Yes, the hilarious youtube videos guild. I was the Recruitment Officer and Co-Raid Leader of this guild. We were able to achieve World 16 Mythic Nythendra and US 54 Mythic Gul'dan with this guild.
We had amazing talent in this guild; however, the brutality of Tomb of Soakgeras destroyed our willingness to raid.

Guiles Theme Song: My real life friend was an officer of this guild and he brought me in to trial with them right before Antorus launch. We were able to clear progression in a reasonable amount of time but, our roster was mediocre at best.

However, in the beginning of BFA, our roster was excellent! We started heroic in a mediocre pace, but we were able to bounce back during mythic progression with a World 100 Mythic Zek'voz kill. My RL friend called it quits right before Zul progression when we lost 4 players (including 2 warlocks). Due to the stupid comp requirement for Zul, Mythrax, and G'huun, he had no desire to recruit 4 warlocks (since we had none at the time), he announced that he was done with the game.
I tried to keep the guild together but, recruitment was tough since every guild was literally looking for any warlock they can get.

6. Why do you want to leave your current guild? Why do you want to join us? Specifically, what interests you in our band of merry idiots?

After GTS died, my friend and I joined our old guildies <Laid Back> of Zul'jin to help out since they were lacking leadership. We went from US 60 5/8M guild to a mere 3/8M guild that was struggling to kill Vectis. With our assistance, we were able to kill Vectis, Fetid and Zul. I love my old guildies; however, the unfun factor was significantly greater than the fun factor.

7. Give us some info on your class knowledge and self performance analysis in this section:

7a. What resources and practices do you use to keep up with your class and maximizing your DPS/HPS/Surivability?

I am no way an elitist; however, I consider myself as a humble, above-average player. I always strive to be the best player I can be. If I screw up, I admit my mistakes and do my best to not do it again.
I enjoy reading Focused Will discord whenever I can to analyze what top disc priests are doing and their explanation of why they do it that way. I also enjoy looking at warcraftlogs and analyze top disc priests' cast sequence in a certain boss encounter.
I always knew that yes, theorycrafters are great for their class knowledge but, they aren't the best players in this game. Twintop (Shadow priest) is a great example. He was an amazing theorycrafter but, he wasn't the best at playing shadow priest.

I also enjoy watching Disc Priest POV kill videos of top disc priests and see what they are doing that I am currently not. Watching Joshpriest progress through Mythic Uldir was an amazing experience. I was in awe. It was nice to see how he was managing mana as a disc priest without wisdom and innervates.

7b. What fights in the current tier do you swap Talents and Traits to something different than the norm (if at all)? What do you swap and why? Feel free to list on a boss per boss basis.

Unfortunately, disc priest is very generic in this tier. I noticed some disc priests running shadow covenant on certain fights and I feel like this is just straight up padding. When I noticed top ranking disc priests running Shadow Covenant on Vectis made me very angry. Yes, it increases your HPS but this is a very selfish thing to do in my opinion when immunosuppression exists on that fight.
I noticed some disc priest running Val'anyr-esque barrier (Luminous Barrier) on Fetid for Knockback padding. I just laugh at this since they think illuminated barrier does more HPS; but, it really doesn't. The amount of HPS throughput you can do with evangelism does way more than Luminous barrier.

Halo is a very interesting talent and you have to use it wisely. For example, fights like Zek'voz where you CC the two adds during the add phase, you should NOT use Halo during that add phase so you don't break the CC with halo or position yourself wisely so you CAN halo without breaking the CC.

In high mythic plus especially during fortified weeks, I run Twist of Fate instead of Schism to spam heal tanks to proc the ToF to manage the healing in that dungeon.

7c. How do you analyze your performance on a new fight and figure out how/what you can improve on next week? Don't just say you use logs and compare to others of your class - what specifically are you looking for when you have a good/bad parse?

I am a quick learner and it doesn't take me long to fully analyze the fight as a disc priest. Since we are not a reactive healer, we need to know when there is incoming damage; therefore, we need to know the boss encounter 100%. After we killed Zul last week, we spent like 9-10 attempts on Mythic Mythrax. I figured out quickly right away when to use rapture spam PW:S, double radiance prep for incoming damage; however, I disregarded the potential incoming mind control and I got MCed (plus the guildies in my raid took 50 years to knock me out of the MC zone) and boom! My disc prep was all wasted heh. From that experience, now I know not to use it that certain time and use it a little sooner so I won't make that same mistake again even though the chance of you getting MCed is relatively low.

8. Please include your character log report showcasing your performance on the relevant bosses of the tier. If your logs are private, please change your Warcraftlogs login and list the username/password here so we can access your logs. If you aren't comfortable listing it publicly, please PM it to Palin privately on these forums. Please remember to change your WCL login again a few days later after we've reviewed your application.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/us/zuljin/kohzqt

These are my shadow logs during Emerald Nightmare when I had BiS legendaries haha.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/id/215652?zone=10&mode=detailed#metric=dps

9. Of the above logs, please do a quick analysis of what fights you did well on, what went wrong on certain fights, etc. Use this chance to explain any context behind good/bad logs.

First of all, I will never do well HPS wise on Mythic Mother based on our strat. On our first kill, we got the World 1st fastest Mythic Mother kill time (4:14). Our strat involved first crossing right after the first wind using SLT, sub 3min personals, etc.
I was the first 10 people to cross instantly so there is literally not much to heal since our melee destroyed the adds instantly so I have nothing to DPS haha. Second crossing involved 2nd SLT (2nd resto shaman), my barrier, healthstone/coastal, 3min personals, and double darkness since everyone crosses all at once to get to the 3rd platform. Our DPSers all got ranked 1s and 2s and healers all got grey/green percentiles haha due to our strategy.

As a healer, especially during progression, my job is to literally keep people alive and follow the healing CDs. If I parse high, GREAT! but it's not a big deal.
However, I did make some minor mistakes on Mythic Vectis. When I rewatched my kill video, I had a chance to use evangelism like 30 seconds before the boss died and I didn't. I guess it was due to panic and stress from amount of healing required. I just COMPLETELY forgot to use evangelism and I was very hard on myself for that.

10. Can your PC handle WoW at high effects (Lust, Scorp Room, etc.)?

Yes! I just built a new PC right before BfA launch! It runs great!

11. Please include a SS of your raiding UI. IF A KEYBINDING IS NOT SHOWN NO YOUR FRAME, PLEASE EXPLAIN AND list any relevant keybinds not shown in the screenshot. Make sure we can see everything that pops up in a raid, meaning take the SS in combat in LFR or something of the like so we can see your boss mods, timer positioning, WeakAuras, raid frames, etc.

I will just link my Mythic Vectis kill video instead.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/312721660

12. Tell us a bit about yourself. Age, gender, work/school, hobbies, etc. Add anything else you feel is pertinent.

Work: Civil Engineer

I love playing and watching all kinds of sports especially football, basketball, and soccer.
I enjoy playing MOBAs like Dota and League of Legends.
I am tri-lingual and I'm good at trivia.

13. Out-of-game contact information - Discord tag, Battle.net ID, etc. Some way we can contact you besides these forums.

Discord: Kohz#1337
BNet: Kohz#1606
Palin
The Professor

Re: Kohzqt, 380 Disc/Holy/Shadow Priest

Postby Palin » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:56 pm

Hi again Kohz, thanks for your interest with us and taking the time to app. We appreciate the time and effort you put in here.

What's your thoughts on Lenience vs Evangelism - any fight you could see it being useful and how would you analyze it?
Kohz

Postby Kohz » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:26 pm

Lenience is viable in Mythic plus since there is no need for Evangelism since you are running a dungeon with only 5 people plus the recharge timer on Power Word: Radiance is 20 seconds.

The link below is my healing throughput right after I cast my evangelism at 1:06 mark on Mythic Vectis. I always use rapture on every 3rd contagion on Mythic Vectis. My sequence is Rapture --> PW:S 8 targets (Omega Vector targets are high priority) --> Double Power Word: Radiance --> Evangelism
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/VWmbHgKBJNZa9M32#fight=25&type=healing&start=7814235&end=7829857

The link below is my healing throughput on 1st contagion where i PW:S few targets plus double power word:radiance.
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/RrJzgAfwW4VCnd18#fight=9&type=healing&start=2903314&end=2919881

The overall throughput that evangelism provides in raid is no way near the other two talents on that tree.

There is no boss mechanic where 3% damage reduction on atonement targets is gonna save someone on a typical raid encounter.

For example, let's just say you got THE worst luck RNG on breath on Fetid where the stupid boss literally breaths on the ooze target that you are suppose to kill. (Yes, It happened to us couple times and it was very frustrating). Several of us died on that attempt due to breath and I believe the breath damage is around 175k dmg (correct me If I'm wrong). During progression, I believe I had around 158k buffed hp. Even If I had, 11k non crit power word: shield on me, I wouldn't have been able to survive the breath unless I used barrier or PS (which tanks need sub 50 of Fetid encounter). 175k x 0.03 = 5250 dmg.

I'm trying to think of any fight where Lenience would be good in raids, I just can't think of any. 3% damage is just too little to be viable as a raid talent. Let's say if someone got 2 stacks of Miasma on Fetid (which increases the damage tick from 23kish to 46k. Lenience would reduce the tick by 1380 damage every tick, I mean if healers can't heal that we definitely suck haha. We were able to heal 3-4 stacks before during progression when a raider accidentally got 3-4 stacks.
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:54 pm

Closing as per our discussion.

Return to “Applications”