Bluedeep 376 Holy/Disc Priest

Want to join? Post your application here.

Moderator: Officer

Bluedeep

Bluedeep 376 Holy/Disc Priest

Postby Bluedeep » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:52 pm

1. Character name, Server

Bluedeep - Illidan server

2. Class, Race, and Spec (and Artifact Level)

Priest, Blood Elf, Holy/Disc, neck level 27

3. Link to an Armory profile, and an explanation of anything that may not be readily apparent from your Armory profile (alternate sets of gear, currently PvP-specced, etc.)

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... n/Bluedeep

For Disc I switch out the head piece for the Radiance azerite trait.

4. What are your usual playing hours? Are there days/times when you are consistently unavailable? Inform us of your daily work/school schedule, what time do you get home from work/school, and what time must you be in bed for the next day. Are you able to make our raid times in general? Is this availability going to change within the next few months, or with a change in Semester (if applicable)?

I work 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM Monday-Friday with occasional weekend shifts. I usually play between 5:45 PM EST - 12:00 AM EST. My availability isn’t going to change for the next year and a half at least. I can certainly make the raid times and stay late by an hour or two during progression.

5. Discuss your prior endgame raiding experience. Specify your experience with Heroic/Mythic in previous content as well as your experience in the current tier.

Well, your guild caught my eye because of the FFXI tie in so I’ll start there.

From 2003-2007 I was the main tank (Paladin & Ninja) and co-GM of the FFXI hardcore guild called Knights of Ni on the Cerberus server. My character was named Demetrios. We were among one of the first predominately NA guilds to down the three kings, Kirin, Vrtra, Tiamat, Jorm, Shadow Lord, etc. Although back then “world firsts” weren’t really a thing since information on these fights and what was happening on other servers was so limited. Running instances is a lot easier than camping HNMs in 3 hour spawn windows at the chance at winning the pull on Fafnir/Nidhogg or Behemoth/King Behemoth. For the sake of my sanity I’m glad WoW isn’t like that, but I do miss those days.

I was a hardcore raider in WoW during WOTLK with the now defunct guild called CUTIES ONLY on Kil’Jaeden. At our height we were in the top 10 US guilds. I was Paladin main, switching between Ret and Prot where needed. Our top accomplishments of which I was part of include a world #10 zero light and world #12 Lich King kill. At the end of WOTLK I started medical school so I put raiding on the backburner and stuck to more casual games like SC2, D3, EU4, CK2, and single player RPGs.

Back in September I started watching Method’s streaming of their world first race for Uldir and I caught the WoW bug again. I’m currently a member of a relatively casual 2/8 M guild on Illidan called Cripple Fight Club.

6. Why do you want to leave your current guild? Why do you want to join us? Specifically, what interests you in our band of merry idiots?

We don’t raid enough for my tastes. Right now we have a 6 hour a week schedule and half the time we can’t fill the raid for one of the two days. I want to work in an environment where people take raiding seriously and can dedicate the time to progression. I think Spike Flail would be the perfect environment to realize these goals. Your raid hours are also very attractive given that I live on the East coast. If there are any former hardcore FFXI players to shoot the shit with, even better.

7. Give us some info on your class knowledge and self performance analysis in this section:

7a. What resources and practices do you use to keep up with your class and maximizing your DPS/HPS/Survivability?

Back in the day we had ElitistJerks but now that it's no longer around it seems like the communities have migrated to Discord. I follow Mend/FocusedWill, Jak, Warcraft Priests.

7b. What fights in the current tier do you swap Talents and Traits to something different than the norm (if at all)? What do you swap and why? Feel free to list on a boss per boss basis.

There doesn’t seem to be a significant amount of talent variety based on the encounter for healing priest specs. For Any CC fights (e.g. Zek) I make sure I don’t have Halo and cause wipes due to breaking CC. Since I play Holy and Disc I switch it up based on what the guild needs and is the best fit for the encounter.

7c. How do you analyze your performance on a new fight and figure out how/what you can improve on next week? Don't just say you use logs and compare to others of your class - what specifically are you looking for when you have a good/bad parse?

How many healers are in the raid? Are they shitty (thus inflating your own numbers)? Healing is more than your HPS. You can’t just look at a log and say you’re a good healer because you had a X percentile parse. Did you keep your raid alive? Did you fuck up any mechanics? Using your CDs where it’s most helpful to the raid and where it can get you the best parse can be two very different things. The priority is getting a clean kill. I make sure to review logs for activity %, did I cast mend on CD or did I get distracted by mechanics, could I have managed mana better, etc.

8. Please include your character log report showcasing your performance on the relevant bosses of the tier. If your logs are private, please change your Warcraftlogs login and list the username/password here so we can access your logs. If you aren't comfortable listing it publicly, please PM it to Palin privately on these forums. Please remember to change your WCL login again a few days later after we've reviewed your application.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... n/bluedeep

I’m still new to warcraft logs - if I need to provide a different link please let me know.

We're still 2/8 M and our current progression target is Zek.

Here's our Tuesday raid: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/fa38FdDjYThJv2Cb/

9. Of the above logs, please do a quick analysis of what fights you did well on, what went wrong on certain fights, etc. Use this chance to explain any context behind good/bad logs.

If I did big numbers or I didn't do big numbers, it doesn't necessarily convey useful information to you guys. Right now we're progressing on Zek so those logs may be most relevant how I perform in a progression raid setting. More important than my HPS is learning positioning and the tempo for when to use big cooldowns. The other complication of Holy being is that our CDs aren't great in mobility fights so I tended to use Divine Hymn as raid damage goes up during ads. So far I've been trying to focus Salv during the dance where eye beam comes out to get the maximum benefit.

While I haven't had a chance to experience the harder bosses of Mythic Uldir or recent expansions, my experience in FFXI and WOTLK is relevant and reflects what kind of raider I would be in Uldir and 8.1. I have performed at the highest levels of WoW in the past and I am always looking to improve.

10. Can your PC handle WoW at high effects (Lust, Scorp Room, etc.)?

I have a 4790k with a 1080 TI. I am able to play at high/highest settings with good frame rates.

11. Please include a SS of your raiding UI. IF A KEYBINDING IS NOT SHOWN NO YOUR FRAME, PLEASE EXPLAIN AND list any relevant keybinds not shown in the screenshot. Make sure we can see everything that pops up in a raid, meaning take the SS in combat in LFR or something of the like so we can see your boss mods, timer positioning, WeakAuras, raid frames, etc.

My raiding Holy UI: https://imgur.com/a/EALbNjM
Here's everything I have bound: https://imgur.com/a/5LRDuIo

I have Weak Auras for Mend/Sanc/Serenity which disappear when the ability is on CD and then pop up with a spell specific sound on my left-mid screen when they are available to be used. I have a similar setup for my Disc UI but with Penance/Solace/SWP/and an Atonement tracker

I use ElvUI but I use Grid2 for my raid frames with mouseover macros. I adopted Mend's minimalist Grid configuration with my own edits for dispellable abilities, high damage debuffs like Omega Vector, etc.

12. Tell us a bit about yourself. Age, gender, work/school, hobbies, etc. Add anything else you feel is pertinent.

I’m a senior diagnostic radiology resident. So that means I’ve finished medical school and now I'm in my 5th year of residency training. My specialty area is in neuroradiology. I’m the doc who talks to other docs about what I see on MRIs, CTs, ultrasounds, nuclear medicine scans, etc. Most patients don’t understand what I do but it’s critical to the function of a modern medical system.

Computer gaming is my main hobby. I used to play hardcore MMOs like FFXI and WoW back in 2003-2010 before I started medical school. Now that I’m a senior resident I have much more free time and a schedule that’s amenable to serious raiding.

13. Out-of-game contact information - Discord tag, Battle.net ID, etc. Some way we can contact you besides these forums.

Discord: Bluedeep#0105
Battle.net: Bluedeep#1431
Palin
The Professor

Re: Bluedeep 376 Holy/Disc Priest

Postby Palin » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:25 pm

Hey Blue, thanks for your interest with us and taking the time, we really appreciate it.

Right now we're pretty much exclusively looking for a Disc Priest, most of your logs lean towards Holy as does your app. Outside of MOTHER whats your comfort and experience level with Disc?

Thanks!
Bluedeep

Postby Bluedeep » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:18 am

Understood. Holy certainly is my comfort zone but I will play whatever spec is best for the encounter and for the guild. I'm better at Holy than Disc currently and as you can certainly see I have less playtime with Disc based on the parses. Most of my experience with Disc is from M+, Mythic MOTHER, and normal PUG raids. If you want me Disc full time I can do that.
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:07 pm

Hey Blue, after some consideration we're going to unfortunately pass on your application at this time. Your FF experience is definitely impressive but we need a litlte more WoW kills right now to justify a pickup. Feel free to reapply down the line as your progression improves and you get more experience on both specs. Best of luck with your search and take care!

Return to “Applications”