Grrwarlock - 374 Warlock

Want to join? Post your application here.

Moderator: Officer

grr

Grrwarlock - 374 Warlock

Postby grr » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:50 pm

1. Character name, Server

Grrwarlock, Bleeding Hollow

2. Class, Race, and Spec (and Artifact Level)

Troll Warlock, Currently Affliction for raids, but am okay with playing any spec. 24 artifact level in neck.

3. Link to an Armory profile, and an explanation of anything that may not be readily apparent from your Armory profile (alternate sets of gear, currently PvP-specced, etc.)

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... Grrwarlock (Gear when linked is my M+ key set heavier haste, sudden onset helm)

4. What are your usual playing hours? Are there days/times when you are consistently unavailable? Inform us of your daily work/school schedule, what time do you get home from work/school, and what time must you be in bed for the next day. Are you able to make our raid times in general? Is this availability going to change within the next few months, or with a change in Semester (if applicable)?

I am currently a teacher so my playing hours are pretty locked in stone as when I get home and when I can't play. More specifically, I work from 730-430 CST everyday, I am usually home at 5, but no later than 530. I play when I get home from work for a few hours going to bed, on non raid nights I am usually in bed by 9:30 like an old man, but raid nights i like to be in bed by 11 or so. I will be able to make every raid time, this availability will change when it is the summer, then I will be available all the time.

5. Discuss your prior endgame raiding experience. Specify your experience with Heroic/Mythic in previous content as well as your experience in the current tier.

I have been playing since Vanilla, but I was very young when that expansion came out and did not raid. I did some endgame raiding during BC, and have been on/off since then, mostly on!

The Burning Crusade:
Karazhan: Full cleared while current content.
Gruul's Lair: Full cleared.
Magtheridon: Full cleared.
Tempest Keep: 2/3 (Guild Chose Vashjr Progression)
Serpent Shrine Cavern: Full cleared.
Battle for Mt. Hyjal: Only killed first two bosses.
Black Temple: Ended at council progress, guild fell apart here.
Sunwell: Did not raid.

Wrath of the Lich King: Hiatus here, only came back to kill lich king on herioc 10 man with my cousins guild for the achievement. Played casually, but did not raid.

Cataclysm:

Blackwing Descent: Full clear.
Throne of the Four Winds: Full clear.
Firelands: Joined a bleeding edge guild, server first 5/7 then schooling was too much to juggle as well, had to take a hiatus.
Dragon Soul: Full clear.

Mists of Pandaria:
Hiatus here, raided casually, cleared all the content but not endgame progression raiding.

Warlords of Draenor:
Highmaul: Full cleared on herioc.
Blackrock Foundry: Full cleared on herioc.
Hellfire Citadel: Full cleared on herioc.

Legion: I started focusing on raiding more, I had always raided but not super competitively, I was too young to pursue it and did not have the maturity to stay dedicated.

Emerald Nightmare: Full cleared. Cutting edge.
Trial of Valor: 2/3, guild focused on Guldan.
Nighthold: Full cleared. Cutting edge.
Tomb of Sargeras: Stonewalled at Mistress.
Antorus: Full cleared. Cutting Edge.

6. Why do you want to leave your current guild? Why do you want to join us? Specifically, what interests you in our band of merry idiots?

I am currently unhappy with the environment/culture of the guild, progression and raiding is going okay but I am finding myself more and more unhappy to log on and play in the guild. I have had some personal differences with some of the officers, unwilling to speak ill of former guild-mates who I respect, it was a difference in opinions and relationships.

Why join you guys? Your guild is at similar progression as mine (You are currently 1 boss ahead), so I wanted to stay at the same level of progression. Your mindset and raid attitude is the same as mine, veterans who are progression focused but not willing to put down other team members. I also have friends in the guild which is what directed me towards this guild in the first place.

7. Give us some info on your class knowledge and self performance analysis in this section:

Can do! This is my first expansion on warlock but I will be happy to attempt to not look too stupid.

7a. What resources and practices do you use to keep up with your class and maximizing your DPS/HPS/Surivability?

I am always simming my character in different scenarios to keep up to date on the gear I am holding/wearing to make sure that I am getting the most out of my gear. I am constantly watching streams of better players than me to make sure that I am not doing anything completely wrong, or to find tricks/niches on fights to make my damage better/more consistent. I'm always looking at logs to see where other warlocks are at in comparison to me, checking talent builds, trinkets used, azerite setup ect. Surivability is important, i'm always making sure that I am trying to execute mechanics properly and to limit mistakes in a raid environment, healthstones are a good tool to make sure that I am not dead, along with healthpots, along with the use of my 50% wall to make sure that if there is large raid aoe damage happening that I can reduce that on myself by quite a bit, and the use of Demonic Circle/Mortal coil for some added survivalbility or movement help.

7b. What fights in the current tier do you swap Talents and Legendaries to something different than the norm (if at all)? What do you swap and why? Feel free to list on a boss per boss basis.

Affliction currently doesnt have many talent choices to swap from currently, apart from the 2nd row. I am mostly playing Siphon Life, but I switch to AC for Mythrax currently and sometimes Ghuun. I do not have enough Sudden Onset pieces for Writhe to be worth it.

7c. How do you analyze your performance on a new fight and figure out how/what you can improve on next week? Don't just say you use logs and compare to others of your class - what specifically are you looking for when you have a good/bad parse?

I always try to look at logs of raiders who have killed the boss before me if there are logs to see what they used or how they managed their cooldowns just so I can have a general understanding of what I am getting into. I prefer to watch someone do the fight if there are videos or streams of a kill available to me, to see how they managed something or if I would have tried something different when I am watching them.

Usually what I am looking for when I have a bad parse is what other members of my raid who are the same class are doing differently, damage breakdowns did they use a talent I didn't? did they have more uptime than me? did they have more casts than me? did they do more damage to the adds than me and I should have been doing that as well? most of these questions are a fight to fight basis. But I am usually dissecting logs/details to see what others did differently than I or how I could have played the fight better. I record my play 90% of the raid so if I have a bad night when I have the time I go back and watch what I did to see if things stand out or if I could fix dumb mistakes that hurt me on the fight.

8. Please include your character log report showcasing your performance on the relevant bosses of the tier. If your logs are private, please change your Warcraftlogs login and list the username/password here so we can access your logs. If you aren't comfortable listing it publicly, please PM it to Palin privately on these forums. Please remember to change your WCL login again a few days later after we've reviewed your application.

The guild I am in currently have private logs, my warcraftlogs login is [edited out, we have it internally now].

Here are my mages logs from legion: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... ll/grrmage

9. Of the above logs, please do a quick analysis of what fights you did well on, what went wrong on certain fights, etc. Use this chance to explain any context behind good/bad logs.

For the sake of sanity, I am going to look at a good mythic kill and a bad mythic kill in my opinion. As these are private I am just going to describe the log.

The guilds first Zek'voz kill (9/24 on log) I think I could have played better, but I did well. I did less add damage prioritizing the boss when I could have done with better use of PA, and Seed of Corruptions. I was unhappy with my orb rotation as I took an orb fairly early into the rotation and probably could have maximized it better if I had been 2 or 3 people later in the rotation. I only used one potion which is a very big mistake, and did not use my Unending Resolve enough. I did not change my talent from mortal coil and would have preferred to have Demonic Circle instead. I had 80% uptime on Siphon Life but 92% uptime on Agony, both of those could have been improved if I was playing better.

All mythic fights on progression I think are not good for me on terms of damage, the focus was to execute mechanics and get a kill not to parse so I could nitpick and go through those for hours in terms of what I did wrong, but overall I am not happy with most of my mythic logs at the moment.

10. Can your PC handle WoW at high effects (Lust, Scorp Room, etc.)?

I recently updated my PC to be generally "future proof", so in short yes!

Longer answer my specs are:
i7-7700k CPU 4.20GHz
32Gig of Ram
GTX 1080
250 Gig SSD for WoW
1TB SSD for Windows/other Games
1TB HD for other~

11. Please include a SS of your raiding UI. IF A KEYBINDING IS NOT SHOWN NO YOUR FRAME, PLEASE EXPLAIN AND list any relevant keybinds not shown in the screenshot. Make sure we can see everything that pops up in a raid, meaning take the SS in combat in LFR or something of the like so we can see your boss mods, timer positioning, WeakAuras, raid frames, etc.

https://imgur.com/a/c3I0tTy Out of combat UI.

https://imgur.com/a/QMYc9K6 Weak Auras shown UI.

https://imgur.com/a/poT5gKk Big Wig timers shown UI.

My ui is focused on being as uncluttered as possible because I like the most vision as I can have during a raid, so my bars are all hidden except for the one at the bottom which just generally is for cooldowns I don't want to track with a Weak Aura out of laziness or clutter, or things that I don't think should need a keybind, gateway is the only one that is for some reason down there but is bound on another hidden bar. The other is the argus mount for showing off when bored, other mount bind is hidden as well.

12. Tell us a bit about yourself. Age, gender, work/school, hobbies, etc. Add anything else you feel is pertinent.

Yo! My name is Tim, I am 24, I am currently a 8th Grade AP US History teacher. Gaming has always been a core part of my identity, my dad growing up was into computers and building them and playing them ect, so it was always how I bonded with my dad outside of school/sports and has stuck with me since. I am very social and WoW is my main game because of the social aspects that wow brings, I enjoy the competitive atmosphere of being on a team like sports, but do not have time to play sports as regularly, wow gives me the same satisfaction that sports did back in school. Raiding is my favorite part of wow because I am goal oriented as a person, setting a goal to kill a boss and achieving that goal is a feeling that never gets old. I am a big dog lover, currently have 3 rescues with me debating a fourth!

13. Out-of-game contact information - Discord tag, Battle.net ID, etc. Some way we can contact you besides these forums.

Bnet tag: Grr#11932
Discord: Grr#3274
Palin
The Professor

Re: Grrwarlock - 374 Warlock

Postby Palin » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:16 am

Hi Tim, thanks so much for your interest with us and taking the time write out a detailed application. We know they're a pain and appreciate your effort.

A few quick questions before i jump into anything deeper tomorrow:

-On Vectis I noticed you stayed Aff and as follows, your add damage was pretty poor. Obviously as the weeks go on add damage is needed less and less, but you state you're comfortable with any spec and its the best fight a Destro lock can ask for with constant 2T cleave. Why did you choose to stick with Aff on this one?

-I noticed your Aff rotation is not including Phantom Singularity in your opener before Darkglaring. Any specific reason for this?

-I can't seem to find your late Antorus logs. Your mage only shows up to Eonar, and lock has nothing. Any thoughts on where they might be?

Thanks in advance!
grr

Postby grr » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:32 am

Thanks for the quick response, Palin.

As for your questions:

"-On Vectis I noticed you stayed Aff and as follows, your add damage was pretty poor. Obviously as the weeks go on add damage is needed less and less, but you state you're comfortable with any spec and its the best fight a Destro lock can ask for with constant 2T cleave. Why did you choose to stick with Aff on this one?"

I had talked with my raid leader about this and said that my add damage would be abysmal if I stayed affliction but that my boss damage would be very high, he told me to stay affliction as he thought the adds would die fast enough but was worried about overall boss damage. So I was simply following directions on that one!

"-I noticed your Aff rotation is not including Phantom Singularity in your opener before Darkglaring. Any specific reason for this?"

Simply put here, I think I had a better understanding than I did, and upon looking into it, it seems I was just dead wrong. Everything i'm reading tells me to use it before DG, which I will be doing from now on.

"-I can't seem to find your late Antorus logs. Your mage only shows up to Eonar, and lock has nothing. Any thoughts on where they might be?"

My lock wasn't a character yet until after antorus so there will be no warlock logs. As for my mage I joined the guild I am in currently after Eonar so they would be private logs. Some of them seem to be missing but most are there from July backwards.

Hopefully these answers suffice!
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:59 pm

Thanks, found your Mage Logs from Antorus.

Looks like you had some unfortunate MOTHER kills even if your other pulls on it were fine. What do you think you can do better or more consistently to avoid dying to things like the Flames or Beams on that fight?
grr

Postby grr » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:43 pm

Yeah my MOTHER kills are a yikes. The first one I think I played okay, I think I mismanaged my cooldowns and could have pumped a little harder in p3, overestimated the kill time that we'd have and didn't plan. The 2nd one I misplaced my circle and didn't teleport to it and ended up dying to beams poorly. The third I was just not playing well that night, I had asked to sit because of some personal/illness but we didn't have the roster for it so I played through it, no excuses because I died very dumb, thinking I could take the gateway and didn't realizing I had the debuff and died to fire.

They were mostly careless mistakes because i was either greedy and going for the parse or I wasn't paying attention, but that fight is an improvement area for me for sure, I need to be more focused.
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:12 pm

Hi Grr, I added you on bnet a few days ago. Hit me up when you can (Palin#1620)
grr

Postby grr » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:48 pm

Sorry! I had forgotten about this I unfortunately had some personal issues come up that will be taking me away from WoW for the foreseeable future. Apologies for any time wasted, hopefully you do well in this tier!
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:36 pm

Sorry to hear that man, best of luck with life. Thanks for the update.

Return to “Applications”