Crenkk - Mage

Want to join? Post your application here.

Moderator: Officer

Crenk

Crenkk - Mage

Postby Crenk » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:03 am

1. Character name, Server

Crenkk-Mal'ganis

2. Class, Race, and Spec (and Artifact Level)

Mage, Troll, Frost (almost lvl 20 neck)

3. Link to an Armory profile, and an explanation of anything that may not be readily apparent from your Armory profile (alternate sets of gear, currently PvP-specced, etc.)

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... nis/Crenkk

4. What are your usual playing hours? Are there days/times when you are consistently unavailable? Inform us of your daily work/school schedule, what time do you get home from work/school, and what time must you be in bed for the next day. Are you able to make our raid times in general? Is this availability going to change within the next few months, or with a change in Semester (if applicable)?

My usual playing times are between 4pm-10pm. I'm currently on night shift and work 11pm to 7am cst. The Spike Flail raid times work out really well for me because it looks like raid should be ending with enough time for me to get ready and leave for work around 10:40pm cst. This availability doesn't look to be changing within the next few months.

5. Discuss your prior endgame raiding experience. Specify your experience with Heroic/Mythic in previous content as well as your experience in the current tier.

I've been playing WoW since vanilla beta and have raided every expansion except for MoP, which I didn't play at all. Back during vanilla, I cleared everything up to and including Naxxramas on my fury warrior. In BC and WoTLK and Cataclysm, I was a bit more casual but still cleared all of the raids while they were current. I quit the game after clearing Dragon Soul and came back when WoD released. In WoD, I started out in a casual weekend only guild and ended the expansion in Instant Dollars playing elemental shaman for the final two mythic tiers of the expansion. In Legion I rerolled to mage and after Mythic Helya progression, my work schedule changed and I ended up joining Washed Up Scrubs when they were progressing on Star Augur. I was super under geared when they brought me into the guild and gave me an opportunity to play. After Nighthold, we were able to place top 50 US in ToS and 30 US in Antorus, which I was really happy to be a part of.

6. Why do you want to leave your current guild? Why do you want to join us? Specifically, what interests you in our band of merry idiots?

I'm currently in Washed Up Scrubs on Mal'ganis. The only reason I'm looking to leave is because I can no longer meet their raid times. With my new work schedule, I would have to leave raid on tuesdays and thursdays 1 1/2 hrs early and sundays about 30 minutes early. I really enjoy being in WuS and have made a lot of good friends here, who I hope to continue to play with and talk to when I leave. We were able to accomplish a lot in Legion as a 12 hr guild that didn't split raid or add raid days. I don't know a ton about Spike Flail, but I know the guild has similar values as WuS has and that is what I'm looking for. I'm not interested in a guild that adds a ton of raiding days/hours just to secure a few spots on wowprogress, but I am interested in a guild that maximizes the effectiveness of their raiding hours.

7. Give us some info on your class knowledge and self performance analysis in this section:

7a. What resources and practices do you use to keep up with your class and maximizing your DPS/HPS/Surivability?

I don't use a whole lot of outside resources besides simming my character with raidbots and reading the mage discord. I have quite a few top mage players on my friends list and talk often with them about different talents for specific fights or trinket combinations, etc. I also use warcraft logs to analyze my own play and that of other top mages to figure out ways to maximize my damage on fights. Learning things such as cooldown timings on specific fights can make or break your damage.

7b. What fights in the current tier do you swap Talents and Legendaries to something different than the norm (if at all)? What do you swap and why? Feel free to list on a boss per boss basis.

In Legion, frost maqe didn't have a very large selection of different talents or legendaries to use. I mainly used time warp ring and bracers for 90% of the fights. There were a few fights where I would swap out time warp ring for sephuz such as Mistress or Desolate host if I could maximize the uptime. For BFA, it's obvious that we will be required to swap out different azerite armor pieces depending on the fight to pick talents that either boost single target or AoE. As far as class talents go, I think BFA will bring more options to the table than Legion did, but as of right now it is too early to tell what talents will be the best. My hope is that we will be required to change talents more freqently than Legion required because it makes playing the game more enjoyable when you are not doing the same thing on every fight.

7c. How do you analyze your performance on a new fight and figure out how/what you can improve on next week? Don't just say you use logs and compare to others of your class - what specifically are you looking for when you have a good/bad parse?

Besides using logs which is a given, I am always recording progress attempts and will use that to figure out what I can do better to improve my play. Being able to go back and watch yourself play and see what you did wrong is extremely helpful to catch things that you don't notice when you are playing the game.

8. Please include your character log report showcasing your performance on the relevant bosses of the tier. If your logs are private, please change your Warcraftlogs login and list the username/password here so we can access your logs. If you aren't comfortable listing it publicly, please PM it to Palin privately on these forums. Please remember to change your WCL login again a few days later after we've reviewed your application.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... metric=dps

9. Of the above logs, please do a quick analysis of what fights you did well on, what went wrong on certain fights, etc. Use this chance to explain any context behind good/bad logs.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/2V ... amage-done

This log is of our mythic Aggramar progress kill attempt. I was the only mage in the raid so it was my job to slow adds and frost nova when it was needed. Being able to cast blizzard on the adds padded my damage numbers a little bit but the reduced cooldown on my frozen orb allowed me to maximize my boss damage. I also used my cooldowns well and maximized their usage. One thing that went wrong during this attempt was my 2nd potion usage. I meant to use it during the first bloodlust but for some reason either I forgot to use it or I pressed the button and it didn't go off. Either way, this cost me a bit of dps.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/fw ... amage-done

This next log is of our first mythic argus kill. I managed to die during the first phase because of taking too many debuff stacks combined with a soulbomb detonation. Bad position most likely caused this death. Fortunately my death didn't really matter and I was able to do really good damage in the last phase of the fight to help us kill the boss before enrage. The next week, I was able to redeem myself and get a purple parse.

10. Can your PC handle WoW at high effects (Lust, Scorp Room, etc.)?

Yes. I currently am using a 7700k @ 5ghz and a 1080ti

11. Please include a SS of your raiding UI. IF A KEYBINDING IS NOT SHOWN NO YOUR FRAME, PLEASE EXPLAIN AND list any relevant keybinds not shown in the screenshot. Make sure we can see everything that pops up in a raid, meaning take the SS in combat in LFR or something of the like so we can see your boss mods, timer positioning, WeakAuras, raid frames, etc.

https://gyazo.com/4d3e8ee0dfe2162aa20f8929da3c0af9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2TUZF4IDUk&t=53s

I included a video of our mythic Sisters kill. This is what my UI looks like during a raid fight.

12. Tell us a bit about yourself. Age, gender, work/school, hobbies, etc. Add anything else you feel is pertinent.

I'm 32 male and live in FL. I'm married and work as an avionics technician. My only real hobby is PC gaming. I also enjoy building computers from time to time for friends or myself when the opportunity arises.

13. Out-of-game contact information - Discord tag, Battle.net ID, etc. Some way we can contact you besides these forums.

Crenk#1905
Palin
The Professor

Re: Crenkk - Mage

Postby Palin » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:13 pm

Hi Crenkk, thanks so much for your interest with us and taking the time to apply. Sorry to hear about your schedule change, having to leave a group of friends is never fun. But we appreciate you taking a look at us.

Looking at your logs they are primarily all Frost, even on a fight like Eonar where its all AoE. We tend to look at pure DPS who can play their entire toolkit and switch around as fights favor another spec. Why not explore Fire or even Arcane on a few of the fights in Antorus that favor them? What's your comfort and ability to switch should the first dominant Mage spec in a tier of BFA not be Frost?

Likewise Fire last xpac tended to be better for pure Execute fights - I see on KJ you went fire the first few kills maybe for that reason, but struggled a bit. Is it safe to say your mastery is primarily of Frost and you aren't as comfortable with Fire/Arcane?

Thanks in advance!
Crenk

Postby Crenk » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:15 pm

Like most mages, I started Legion off as fire in Emerald Nightmare and Trial of Valor when it was the dominant spec and played it very well. In Nighthold, I swapped to frost because it became the dominant spec and it stayed that way for the rest of Legion.

In Tomb of Sargeras, I played fire for Fall Avatar progression (over 400 attempts) and almost all of our KJ attempts (300+). This was after gearing towards frost and at the time my fire gear was sort of lacking in optimization. The reason for going fire on these fights was mainly because of mobility. Fallen Avatar required a ton of mobility in both phases and the scorch belt was great on this fight as well as the added cleave damage for the maiden provided by ignite. On KJ, it was mostly the same story. The last phase required a lot of mobility and having use of the scorch belt I felt gave me the best combination of damage and survivability for progress attempts. Also, it should be noted that on KJ, we used a suicide strategy for dealing with one of the mechanics in the first phase. On our kill attempt, I was the unlucky person and had to suicide into the fel claws and lost a ton of damage I would have otherwise done with cooldowns into the adds. Looking back on those two fights, being that they were most likely the hardest bosses in recent WoW history, I feel I played very well on them, even with a slightly less optimized alt spec.

With that said, frost is my spec of choice, but I am able to play whatever spec is dominant for a given tier or boss. In BFA, I plan to do the same thing as I did in Legion and play whichever spec is the best for a particular fight or raid tier when necessary. You mention Eonar specifically as a boss where fire or arcane might have been better. That may have been the case but Eonar was such a joke fight that it didn't really matter what spec I played. Other fights like Portal keeper and High command I stayed frost because any additional aoe damage wasn't necessary for our raid group and frost spec provided very good cleave damage as well as high single target damage.
kernalklink

Postby kernalklink » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:15 am

Hello, I am mage here. I swear I know your name from somewhere but I'm not sure from where...anyways...

So, from a WCL perspective I think one can't really disagree with you about frost being really strong for latter part of Legion. I would say, however, that in terms of flexibility Legion offered a lot more than previous expansions have as far as ability to play each spec. In Antorus especially I feel that one could theoretically play each spec and perform at a very high level with very little changes in gear "optimization" assuming one had most/all the legendaries and did m+ sometimes. For example, the stat prios for frost and fire were really not all that different at all. It's always weird to me when people who play pure DPS classes choose to play only one of their specs unless they are required to by their guild or something. It looks like you barely touched fire and didn't play arcane at all. How did you feel about these specs in Legion? How do you feel about them now? it looks like you did some m+. What did you play for dungeons? General thoughts on the 3 specs so far?
Crenk

Postby Crenk » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:23 pm

I really enjoyed fire in EN and ToV before the changes were made to the spec. After that, the spec never felt the same. Arcane was terrible in my opinion and my biggest use for the spec was clearing the trash before KJ during sales run. In BFA at the moment, fire seems to be pretty bad at the moment and is in need of some number tuning or it's going to be relegated to the waste bin. Arcane appears to be performing better and could very possibly become the dominant spec for raiding. I would prefer this isn't the case because I don't love the spec, but I will be playing it if it ends up being really good. For Dungeons, I played frost for the majority of Legion and right now in BFA frost is still very strong for dungeons, so it's what I'm playing.
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:28 pm

Thanks Crenk, we'll follow up shortly.
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:45 am

Hey again Crenkk, looking at your availability shifts I'm wondering if you see it changing again in 12-18 months or so? Looks like you had to change schedules around Nighthold and then again now, which can happen of course. I'm just curious if its a reoccuring change or something you'd expect to happen in another year or 18 months with your job specifically?

Thanks in advance!
Crenk

Postby Crenk » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:17 am

Changing shifts is not something I can totally control. I do my best to stay on the same shift but sometimes things happen and we are required to move around. With that said, I don't anticipate another shift change for a bit and if I did change, I'd most likely go back to days and it wouldn't impact anything.
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:38 pm

Thanks Crenk. I added you on Bnet Friend list, or reach out to me when you can on Discord at Palin#8102.

Return to “Applications”