Demonicblade - Warlock

Want to join? Post your application here.

Moderator: Officer

Demonicblade

Demonicblade - Warlock

Postby Demonicblade » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:15 am

1. Character name, Server
Demonicblade-Hyjal

2. Class, Race, and Spec (and Artifact Level)
Warlock, Orc. I usually pick one spec to main (currently Affliction) but I make it a point to learn all three specs for my class as to be as beneficial to the raid as possible. Due to pre-patch, artifact is capped/deactivated.

3. Link to an Armory profile, and an explanation of anything that may not be readily apparent from your Armory profile (alternate sets of gear, currently PvP-specced, etc.)
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/hyjal/Demonicblade

4. What are your usual playing hours? Are there days/times when you are consistently unavailable? Inform us of your daily work/school schedule, what time do you get home from work/school, and what time must you be in bed for the next day. Are you able to make our raid times in general? Is this availability going to change within the next few months, or with a change in Semester (if applicable)?
My typical work schedule is from 8 AM to 4:30 PM CST. However, I do on occasion stay later. I am free to leave any time after 4:30 CST though. I also leave early on Fridays due to my workout schedule. After work, I typically attend kickboxing 4 days per week (plus Saturday). I am pretty flexible in my workout schedule though in the event I would need to move things around. That being said, I typically log on around 6:30 CST (30 minutes prior to your raid start) and stay on until about midnight - 1 AM. On weekends, I log on pretty much most of the day unless I have plans that I would have made prior to the weekend. I typically do not plan things on Sunday as it is and am on most of the day. Other than my workout, my schedule is pretty static.

Something that may be important to note is due to the nature of my work, my team has an off-hour support cycle. There are currently 5 people on the cycle. Each support "shift" lasts for one week. All this means is every 5th week I have to carry around a work phone. If a call comes through during my week, I will have to step out until the issue is resolved. In my almost 4 years of working there, I have yet to get a call even once. I just want to be up front about it in the event that it does happen. If a call comes through though, it means a hospitals medical systems are down. So it is rather important.

5. Discuss your prior endgame raiding experience. Specify your experience with Heroic/Mythic in previous content as well as your experience in the current tier.
Prior to my current guild, I wasn't in any truly noteworthy guilds. I started on the server Khaz Modan where I was in a few different guilds that ultimately lead to me clearing the first three bosses of Sunwell post nerf. I didn't get to raid much during Vanilla due to deployment, but I got a taste of raiding in AQ20 and ZG. I transferred to Hyjal after the guild I was in killed KT in Naxx 25 by the request of some real life friends who stopped playing over the years.

On Hyjal, I started off in Dreadnaught but failed the trial there before I knew what dot clipping was. After that was pointed out to me by them, I went on to Virtual Resistance (during Ulduar) where I quickly became one of their top DPS after doing the aforementioned research. Eventually Virtual Resistance broke apart due to a terrible GM and we reformed the guild as Obstruction (ICC). This guild eventually broke apart as well since the GM felt as the main tank he should be the first to get Shadowmourne. This didn't fair too well with a lot of the raiders. Eventually the guild broke up and reformed once again as Incubus (BWD, BoT, TotFW, Firelands (6/7H), and Dragon Soul 1/8 H). This guild eventually broke apart too when the GM decided he was done leading the guild and disbanded it. From there, I went on to join Forgotten Aspects.

For the past 6 years (March 2012) I have belonged to Forgotten Aspects (FA) on Hyjal. I joined them during Spine progression in Dragon Soul. Since then, I have cleared all content (mostly Cutting Edge) with them as the most consistent Warlock in the guild. I was an officer in the guild during Mists of Pandaria expansion but stepped down from the leadership role while I was pursuing my master's degree. Even after stepping down though, I have assisted the other ranged officers that have come after me and still made a meaningful contribution to the guild in and out of raid.

As for the current expansion (Legion), I have cleared EN, ToS, and ABT on mythic difficulty (Cutting Edge). I missed Nighthold due to major shifts in work at the time.

6. Why do you want to leave your current guild? Why do you want to join us? Specifically, what interests you in our band of merry idiots?
After being with my current guild for 6 years, I decided to was time to find a new guild whose raid times better coincide with my current time zone/work schedule. My current guild raids from 8:30-12:30 my time, leaving me pretty exhausted in the morning when I wake up at 7. I have nothing against my current guild and have enjoyed my time there. I will be sad to leave but I know its time for something new and exciting. That being said, I am interested in your guild for a few reasons. First, you clear the same content faster in less time. I current raid 12 hours per week compared to your 10 but cleared the content 2 months after. Second, I feel like I am ready for the challenge of a faster paced progression and your guild can provide that. Lastly, I like that your guild has existed for as long as it has. One thing I value highly about my current guild is it has existed since beta and still does decently well.

7. Give us some info on your class knowledge and self performance analysis in this section:
7a. What resources and practices do you use to keep up with your class and maximizing your DPS/HPS/Surivability?
Currently I use Warcraftlogs, lockonestopshop, and simcraft. I like to see what other Warlocks are doing and see if there are ways I could apply their techniques to situations I am put in.

7b. What fights in the current tier do you swap Talents and Legendaries to something different than the norm (if at all)? What do you swap and why? Feel free to list on a boss per boss basis.
I will answer this in terms of 8.0 since that is what is relevant now. For pre-patch, I have only really played around with Affliction in a raid setting, so I will answer as such.
Garothi: I run single target 3/3/1/2/3/2/2. The main legendary I use is Hood of Eternal Disdain. As for second legendary, I have been trying out Prydaz and Power Cord of Lethendris to see which provides me the most DPS currently.
Felhounds: I run a two target build 3/2/1/2/3/2/2. This build provides Absolute Corruption which I combine with Sacrolash. Again, I use Hood of Eternal Disdain as the other legendary.
High Command: I run the two target build here now too 3/2/1/2/3/2/2. I again use Sacrolash and Hood of Eternal Disdain. Another alternative here would be using Sepuz and dispelling with my Imp to proc it (I used to do this as Destro before 8.0).
Portal Keeper: I run a modified single target build 3/3/1/2/1/2/2. This provides me a shorter cooldown on Shadowfury in order to proc Sepuz on the imps. With that said, I use Sephuz and Hood of Eternal Disdain.
Eonar: My current guild has required me to run Aff on this fight since day one. I was responsible for slowing the adds. That being said, I run 2/2/1/1/1/3/2. An alternative to taking Creeping Death would be picking up Soul Conduit if I feel shard starved. Legendaries are Sacrolash and Sephuz.
Imonar: I run single target here 3/3/1/2/3/2/2. While I still use Hood of Eternal Disdain, I actually throw on Sephuz for this fight and proc it on Sleep Canister dispells. This has the side benefit and assisting the healers in dispelling.
Kin'garoth: I run single target here as well, 3/3/1/2/3/2/2. I use Hood of Eternal Disdain and Prydaz (to help the healers mostly).
Varimathras: This fight is still a bit variable for me. I am trying to find the best combination for DPSing the boss as well as doing something to the adds as Aff (my guild sometimes struggles with add damage). Last kill on this boss I used 3/3/1/2/3/2/3. This was my first time using Dark Soul: Misery but it was performing rather well on that fight. I used Hood of Eternal Disdain and Prydaz. However, since my guild needed even more help on the adds, this was the only fight I killed as Destro in the pre-patch.
Coven: I used a multi-target build here 3/2/1/2/3/2/2. Legendaries are Hood of Eternal Disdain and Sacrolash (similar to Felhounds).
Aggramar: My current guild requires me to run Aff with Sacrolash and Absolute Corruption on this fight. My job is to slow the adds. Therefore, 3/2/1/2/3/2/2. An alternative to Demonic Circle would be Darkfury for add stuns. This is more relevant if I use Sephuz on the fight (we rotate who can do heavy add damage). If I am just slowing adds, I use Hood of Eternal Disdain and Sacrolash. If I am doing add damage, then I swap Hood for Sephuz.
Argus: I run singe target here 3/3/1/2/3/2/2. I use Hood of Eternal Disdain and Prydaz (to help healers).

7c. How do you analyze your performance on a new fight and figure out how/what you can improve on next week? Don't just say you use logs and compare to others of your class - what specifically are you looking for when you have a good/bad parse?
Some of the main things I look at are talents, gear, pet, and cooldown usage through logs. For example, using Sephuz and High Command and Imonar wasn't something I had though of until I saw some parses of other Warlocks doing it. I got curious as to how they were procing Sephuz and realized they were using the dispell. Some of the other aspects I pay attention to are fight duration and the RNG of my spec/procs. I also pay attention to ability cast count (or tick count) for dots to see if I am letting my dots drop off due to controllable factors or if I am overcapping on shards and need to spend them more frequently.
I also tend to look at my survivability, specially if I feel like I'm dying more often than I should. To be fair though, I feel like now that I don't have my OP self heals, healers tend to forget I need healing...

8. Please include your character log report showcasing your performance on the relevant bosses of the tier. If your logs are private, please change your Warcraftlogs login and list the username/password here so we can access your logs. If you aren't comfortable listing it publicly, please PM it to Palin privately on these forums. Please remember to change your WCL login again a few days later after we've reviewed your application.
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... monicblade

9. Of the above logs, please do a quick analysis of what fights you did well on, what went wrong on certain fights, etc. Use this chance to explain any context behind good/bad logs.
So the obvious sub-par fights in terms of Prepatch would be the grey/green parses. The blue parses were all first time (and only) kills for the pre-patch and just learning the spec changes with the exception of High Command.
Garothi: This was actually the first week of Prepatch as my guild forgot to log it this week (we extended last week so we have only killed this one twice). Regardless, it was a green parse. I will chalk most of it up to being my first time getting to play the pre-patch at all (I was a day late on it). I had no time to really prepare my gear or talents for the fight. I hate that I went into it so unprepared too. My first week of pre-patch was just pretty awful in general just due to lack of preparation.
High Command: I was trying a more single target build this week since adds seem to being dying very quickly the first week. While I did improve a good bit from the first week, being more single target centered hurt my overall dps, specially since the adds were living longer this week.
Portal Keeper: I blame my own stupidity here. I came down from the purple portal into the Collapsing World. Completely my fault.
Kin'garoth: Last week was my only pre-patch kill so far. I again died here but this time due to lack of heals. I attempted to keep myself alive with the CDs I had available but to no avail.
Aggramar: This one was simply just not doing crazy add damage. I only really dotted them to slow them as the boomkin wanted to try to parse.

Anything after Imonar has only been killed once since pre-patch. While I can't say I did amazing on them while relearning the spec, I didn't do horrible on them either given the lack of preparedness I had. I know the lack of preparedness here might be a red flag, but it isn't something that usually happens. I had an unfortunately busy week at work and put too much reliance on the fact that past expansions had trivialized the end tier raid much more than this expansion did.

10. Can your PC handle WoW at high effects (Lust, Scorp Room, etc.)?
Yes. I had issues with this earlier in the expansion so I bought a SSD strictly to put my games on. Since then, I have not had any issues with intensive graphics.

11. Please include a SS of your raiding UI. IF A KEYBINDING IS NOT SHOWN NO YOUR FRAME, PLEASE EXPLAIN AND list any relevant keybinds not shown in the screenshot. Make sure we can see everything that pops up in a raid, meaning take the SS in combat in LFR or something of the like so we can see your boss mods, timer positioning, WeakAuras, raid frames, etc.
A quick note for this: I am still adjusting some of my WeakAuras for the 8.0 patch. While my UI is functional as-is, it is not optimal. The WeakAuras contain custom code that I need to debug through in some cases which is why they are not complete yet.
https://imgur.com/a/QCswRDu

12. Tell us a bit about yourself. Age, gender, work/school, hobbies, etc. Add anything else you feel is pertinent.
I am a 31 year old male. In terms of personal life, I am an Army veteran turned software engineer. I have a masters in Computer Science and currently work at one of the top medical software companies in the world. Some of my hobbies include (but not limited to) mixology, side coding projects, and kickboxing. In terms of gaming, I play mainly WoW, Overwatch, and Assassin's Creed. I have been playing WoW for about 13 years now off and on. Any time I have spent away from the game was due to personal life (such as my deployment overseas).

13. Out-of-game contact information - Discord tag, Battle.net ID, etc. Some way we can contact you besides these forums.
Discord: Demonicblade#6683
BNet: Blade#1933
nikolai
HALLO!

Re: Demonicblade - Warlock

Postby nikolai » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:52 pm

Hi Demonick,

Thanks for the application. I reposted your app for internal discussion, and I'm sure one of our warlocks will be along to ask you questions soon.
Demonicblade

Postby Demonicblade » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:35 pm

Thanks for the update. I look forward to speaking with them!
Demonicblade

Postby Demonicblade » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:32 pm

Hey, I know it is a busy time with the expansion release coming next week but I am just curious if there is an update at all? I'm not trying to rush the process or sound impatient by any means, just trying to get an insight on where my application stands currently.
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:34 am

Hey Demonic, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. We try to respond to people within a week and didn't quite for you, and that's not nice of us. Apologies.

Your logs are pretty okay and looks like you know how to play Lock to a decent level. At this time though we've reviewed our roster and with the timing of BFA being so close are going to pass on Trialing right now. Its an awkward time to Trial since the first raids coming up are going to be progression and the rosters are pretty much already set. We may reach out to you down the line if we find we need another Lock and/or have some attrition on our Ranged DPS side. Unfortunately if you had apped about a month earlier we probably could have given things a shot, but the timing is just off right now.

Feel free to hit us up down the line in BFA if you find yourself looking again. Otherwise best of luck finding a home to start Uldir. Take care and thanks again!

Return to “Applications”