DH Looking for Guild

Want to join? Post your application here.

Moderator: Officer

Benzene

DH Looking for Guild

Postby Benzene » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:56 pm

1. Character name, Server

Xelleth - Mal'ganis (transferred from Xeleth - Arthas). Name is taken by a lvl 29 warlock currently on Mal'ganis.

2. Class, Race, and Spec (and Artifact Level)

Demon Hunter, Blood Elf, Havoc main. 80 traits Havoc/76 traits Vengeance (might be more but couldn't remember)

3. Link to an Armory profile, and an explanation of anything that may not be readily apparent from your Armory profile (alternate sets of gear, currently PvP-specced, etc.)

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... is/xelleth
Single target set at the moment with Shoulder/Anger.

4. What are your usual playing hours? Are there days/times when you are consistently unavailable? Inform us of your daily work/school schedule, what time do you get home from work/school, and what time must you be in bed for the next day. Are you able to make our raid times in general? Is this availability going to change within the next few months, or with a change in Semester (if applicable)?

I am self employed so I have a flexible schedule and can make all the raid times. I usually work in the morning and game in the afternoon/night but I'm near my computer most of the day. I don't foresee my situation changing in the near future. Also don't have a set bed time so I can raid as long as the guild is going.

5. Discuss your prior endgame raiding experience. Specify your experience with Heroic/Mythic in previous content as well as your experience in the current tier.

I played WoW casually since late BC and raided off and on till this expansion. My friends usually stop playing 3-6 months into the expansion and if I don't find a guild I would stop a few months after as well.
Wrath - Naxxramas 25, Resto Druid, full clear currently content; Ulduar 25, Resto Druid, up to Yogg (didn't kill it before guild fell apart).
WoD - Highmaul, Mage, Cutting Edge; Guild disbanded after and didn't attempt Mythic.
Legion - EN 7/7M, ToV 2/3M, NH 8/10M, ToS 6/9M, AtBT 11/11M
For Legion we had some roster issues starting from NH and into ToS where we had a lot of turnover so we didn't progress as far as we'd liked.

6. Why do you want to leave your current guild? Why do you want to join us? Specifically, what interests you in our band of merry idiots?

I raided with my previous guild for the whole expansion but I want to progress faster and be in a competitive guild. Since we were a 2-day guild it was more casual than I would've liked, but I guess I stuck it out due to a sense of loyalty and also stepping up to raid lead after the previous one suddenly quit. I was pretty proud of getting 11/11M before the artifact power buff but raid leading Argus for 6 weeks burned me out to the point where I didn't even want to log-in.
However, since it's the beginning of a new expansion I would like to start with a competitive 3-day guild that want to push content fast. I left the previous guild on amicable terms but I know I have the skills to be US top 50 raider and I would like a chance to prove myself.

7. Give us some info on your class knowledge and self performance analysis in this section:
7a. What resources and practices do you use to keep up with your class and maximizing your DPS/HPS/Surivability?

I'm a member of every class discord and sim regularly with nightly builds during progression. I look at top performing logs for a general sense of stat priority/legendary setup and rotation (even though current DH rotation is pretty brain dead). Lastly, I will test them myself on dummy/heroic runs to determine their validity. Occasionally if large class change happens I will copy my character to the PTR to test out new build.
For example, the ever-blooming fond and draught of souls were both highly-rated trinkets by Simcraft for DH during NH but I noticed that top WCL parses were all people using entwined elemental foci even though it simmed much less. After testing it was clear that it was undervalued by Simcraft and my DPS went up by quit a bit. I also switched out my gems/enchants from crit to mastery after watching MDI and found that it wasn't working for me because of the different pulls the teams were doing so I switched back to crit and had better success.

7b. What fights in the current tier do you swap Talents and Legendaries to something different than the norm (if at all)? What do you swap and why? Feel free to list on a boss per boss basis.

Talents for DH this tier is pretty set. The only difference is maybe stun for Eonar and survivability. I like Netherwalk because it lets me do some mechanics to help the raid like popping green bridge mines on Imonar and solo soaking Decimate on Kin'garoth (if we don't kill the add in time).

Garothi - Anger/Shoulder: Getting the extra meta out of shoulder is pretty nice for the fight. Anger is basically a staple for DH legendary.
Hounds - Anger/Shoulder: Single target fight for melee so getting an extra meta at the end is nice during progression. But now I sometimes don't get the last meta since we're killing it faster.
HC - Anger/Helm: We have a lot of people running Sephuz so getting the haste buff is pretty hard most of the time; the Helm gives me an average of 7-10 seconds on my eyebeam which is nice for the fight.
PK - I tank this fight so I usually wore Prydaz/Archimonde for progression.
Eonar - Sephuz/Helm: Easy to proc Sephuz with stun/interrupt on Destructor; Helm reduces eyebeam cd.
Imonar - Anger/Shoulder: During progression each platform was around 2 minutes so it lines up nicely with the shoulder.
Kin'garoth - Anger/Shoulder: 2 minute add phase lines up with 2 minute meta/nemsis (though I really hate how it's exactly 2 minutes and the adds spawn a second or so late so it kind messes up nemsis timing during the later parts)
Varimathras - I tank this fight so I wore Prydaz/Archimonde for progress. Switched to Pants/Archimonde now since I don't need the shield as much.
Coven - Anger/Shoulder: we don't tank them close enough for Helm to be of benefit and Shoulder lets meta for both Amanthul if needed.
Aggramar - I tank this fight so our DK and be the grippy boi. Prydaz/Archimonde but switched to Pants/Archimonde for more demon spike up time.
Argus - Anger/Shoulder: 2 minute meta lets me meta again during p1 transition with buff and extra meta during last phase (in theory since we only killed it once and it was messy).

7c. How do you analyze your performance on a new fight and figure out how/what you can improve on next week? Don't just say you use logs and compare to others of your class - what specifically are you looking for when you have a good/bad parse?

I use logs and compare to others of your class.
But jokes aside I do look at logs. DH is an inherently RNG-heavy class because of how crit refunds fury and the soul fragment generation. I am running between 55-60% crit depending on setup and sometimes my Chaos Strike crits 45% while other times it crits over 70%. When I compare my logs I look at number of Chaos Strike/Annihilation casted, artifact ability usage and timing, trinket usage and major cd timing. If I find a big discrepancy I would go to timeline/casts to see what they were doing at the time and try to find out a why their damage is higher.

I also use Wowanalyzer to see if there are big red flags that I should be looking for. Though it doesn't take into consideration saving cds for adds/burst phase so I have to take it with a grain of salt.

8. Please include your character log report showcasing your performance on the relevant bosses of the tier. If your logs are private, please change your Warcraftlogs login and list the username/password here so we can access your logs. If you aren't comfortable listing it publicly, please PM it to Palin privately on these forums. Please remember to change your WCL login again a few days later after we've reviewed your application.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... artition=1
I made a new character to keep my name on that server so log is a little funky looking.

9. Of the above logs, please do a quick analysis of what fights you did well on, what went wrong on certain fights, etc. Use this chance to explain any context behind good/bad logs.

Garothi - I can do pretty well if the raid stays alive but I am usually forced to double soak at least 2 sets of puddles during the last phase with Netherwalk and Blur.
Hounds - I think my meta/nemesis timing can improve since it's pretty punishing to nemesis a dog when the debuff switches. I can also Eyebeam more during the fight.
HC - I try to prioritize Bats and calling out stuns/mines so I get distracted a lot on this fight. I do use Nemesis on the add to get the minute buff for all bats/boss instead just using it on boss at the start though so at least I got that going for me.
PK - I tank for this fight so I try to be a live lord and cc the adds.
Eonar - Didn't pad super hard on our kills. Didn't pad super hard in general.
Imonar - I either run the 2nd red bridge and die or we kill him with 5 people alive in raid. Also each platform is 1.5 minutes and we try to burn him on the 3rd platform fast so I save Nemesis/Meta for that platform. This destroys my dps since I can't meta again on the 2nd platform without not having it on 3rd, and I can't use other legendaries or it wouldn't be up for the 3rd if I Meta on pull.
Kin'garoth - the one time I muted myself in discord and focused on dps I did better. Other times I'm usually yelling at people to dodge bombs.
Varimathras - I am the 3rd tank for this fight.
Coven - On our first kill I was on my lock. Needed to time my cd's better on this fight but we only killed them twice before doing Argus progression.
Aggramar - I tanked for this fight so our DK tank can focus on gripping. Still took a lot of practice on that front. :(
Argus - Only have 1 kill and I tried to run the Rage out during Swirling Blades but missed the group suicide/rez. So stayed down and collected orb for the last part.

My logs got worse as I started raid leading but thankfully DH rotation is pretty simple. I enjoyed the momentum build at the start of the exp and did pretty well during EN/Nighthold. For Tomb, I started raid calling which took some of my focus away from my rotation. In AtBT, since I knew I would be raid leading I passed up on a fair bit of gear to people could use them to their full potential. We also rarely have clean kills even on farm so it's hard to parse well. For example, on Garothi last week one tank died during the last phase so melee were just picked off one by one (the other tank didn't stay in even though we had PS/barksin/sac up). That said, I can always improve and if given the chance I can prove myself.

10. Can your PC handle WoW at high effects (Lust, Scorp Room, etc.)?

Yes. I have an i7 6700 processor with a 1080 GPU. WoW is also installed on a SSD so it load fairly quickly.

11. Please include a SS of your raiding UI. IF A KEYBINDING IS NOT SHOWN ON YOUR FRAME, PLEASE EXPLAIN AND list any relevant keybinds not shown in the screenshot. Make sure we can see everything that pops up in a raid, meaning take the SS in combat in LFR or something of the like so we can see your boss mods, timer positioning, WeakAuras, raid frames, etc.

https://imgur.com/a/FVaZnjn
It looks pretty cluttered because the WA was the first one I've made. I'll have to remake the WA for BfA and it will be much less intrusive. The CD timers above the raid frame are for raid leading and will be gone in BfA (and I'll probably scale the raid frame to be smaller). I hide most of my bars as mouse over since timers are all on the WA.

I use a Logitech G600 mouse so hidden keybinds are
Shift+1 - trinket
S+2 - Nemesis
S+3 - Potion of Old War
S+4 - Spectral Sight
S+5 - Eyebeam gearset for M+
S+6 - unused
S+7 - mount (usually water strider)
S+8 - Single target gearset (regular 8 is general use gearset)
S+9 - vendor mount
S+Q - Potion of Prolonged Power
S+E - Vengeful Retreat

R - Stun
S+R - PvP ability
T - Racial
S+T - PvP ability
F - Interrupt
S+F - CC (Imprison for DH)
V - Major CD (Chaosblades, unused talent)
S+V - Netherwalk
C - Blur
Z - Darkness
G - Meta on cursor
S+G - Meta on self

Scroll wheel up - Extra action ability (like flying on Eonar)
Scroll wheel down - PvP trinket
S+Scroll wheel down - Warlock cookie/health pot

Y - everyday mount (shredder)
S+Y - carrier mount

12. Tell us a bit about yourself. Age, gender, work/school, hobbies, etc. Add anything else you feel is pertinent.

I'm a 30 yo dude and I enjoy gaming. I live by myself which gives me a lot of freedom. I am self-employed consultant and have a flexible schedule. Oh, and I'm currently teaching myself how to code.

13. Out-of-game contact information - Discord tag, Battle.net ID, etc. Some way we can contact you besides these forums.
Discord - Benzene#0154
Battle.net - Mikedawg#1649
In-game - Xelleth - Mal'ganis

P.S. There might be some typos so if you have questions just ask me on Discord or Bnet. Hope to hear from you soon.
Palin
The Professor

Re: DH Looking for Guild

Postby Palin » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:46 am

Hi Xel, thanks for your interest and app at this time.

Your prog level is a bit under what we usually look for but we'll keep your app on file if we decide to pick up a DH before Uldir launch. I'll reach out to you directly if that happens. Thanks and take care!
Benzene

Re: DH Looking for Guild

Postby Benzene » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:28 am

Thanks for looking it over. Gonna try some other guilds since I'll likely stop playing if I don't raid haha. But let me know if you need a DH next expansion. :D

Return to “Applications”