Mend - Discipline Priest

Want to join? Post your application here.

Moderator: Officer

Mend

Mend - Discipline Priest

Postby Mend » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:38 pm

1. Character name, Server
Mënd - Stormrage

2. Class, Race, and Spec (and Artifact Level)
Priest, Void Elf, Disc (77)

3. Link to an Armory profile, and an explanation of anything that may not be readily apparent from your Armory profile (alternate sets of gear, currently PvP-specced, etc.)
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... /m%C3%ABnd

4. What are your usual playing hours? Are there days/times when you are consistently unavailable? Inform us of your daily work/school schedule, what time do you get home from work/school, and what time must you be in bed for the next day. Are you able to make our raid times in general? Is this availability going to change within the next few months, or with a change in Semester (if applicable)?
I work from 7am - 3:30 or 4pm CST. I usually get to bed around 11pm CST sometimes a little bit later. My work schedule is very set and won't change from the current times. I am a new father (7 month old son) but this won't interfere with raiding at all. Raiding Spike Flails times are wife approved. :D

5. Discuss your prior endgame raiding experience. Specify your experience with Heroic/Mythic in previous content as well as your experience in the current tier.

Vanilla - Cleared everything pre-Naxx while current. I took a break between early Naxx release and TBC launch.

Burning Crusade - Cleared everything pre-Sunwell while current. Again took a break early in the last tier to start college. I was unable to raid 5 nights a week and did not return until Cataclysm. I raided with <Vital> on Dark Iron.

Wrath of the Lich King - As stated above, I did not raid / play in WotLK (unfortunately) since I was taking that time to focus on college.

Cataclysm - I was limited to normal raids and a small foray into Heroic later in the expansion, but nothing of note. I was quite casual due to still being in school but wanted to raid very lightly.

Mists of Panderia - I played minimally in MoP due to a rocky marriage to my first wife. We divorced late in the expansion. I remained fairly casual throughout the expansion, raiding mostly LFR.

Warlords of Draenor - Warlords is where I started to take raiding "seriously" again. I actively worked towards improving my progression in Mythic content and made strides to improve my performance. I worked my way up from being rather casual for the past few expansions (and to be honest early in the expansion) to getting Cutting Edge in HFC. In addition to HFC, I did some Mythic progression in HM and BRF but it was minimal and nothing to take note of. Later in the expansion I began getting involved in helping others in the Priest community, which continued through the end of Warlords and into Legion.

Legion - Legion is where I really grew into my own. I started to become very active in the Priest community (different forums and Discord). I used to write the guide on HowToPriest and moderate there until around May of last year. After some disagreements with the administration there I decided to help create Focused Will with some of the top Discipline Priest theorycrafters and players in the world. We're now the premier Discipline resource. In addition to Focused Will, I am the author for the Icy Veins Discipline guide (which I'm currently working on for BFA).

In regards to raid progression in Legion, I attempted to get CE in each tier but due to working my way up the ladder in 2 night guilds, I missed out on ToV, NH (by a hair, we almost had Gul'dan dead before the ToS patch dropped) and ToS. My Legion raid progression is below:

EN - 7/7M
ToV - 2/3M
NH - 9/10M
ToS - 7/9M
ABT - 11/11M

As stated above, I have a 7 month old son who was born in the middle of November 2017. I began phasing out of raiding about 1-1.5 months prior to his due date to help get the house ready and take a break before he was born. I came back to WoW after taking roughly a 6 month break after his birth (while still being active in the Priest community). I re-joined a guild I was in (<Storm> on Stormrage, US #156 2 night guild) and ended up getting CE in ABT, though, most of my experience is on Aggramar and Argus since I came in late to their progression (have done a handful of kills on the other bosses).

6. Why do you want to leave your current guild? Why do you want to join us? Specifically, what interests you in our band of merry idiots?
To be honest, I really love my current guild. <Storm> is full of amazing people and I feel terrible that I want to move onto something else, but I think it's time for me to grow again. I've been "settling" for 2 night raid guilds due to my (formerly) demanding schedule at work, going to school, being married>divorced>married again and now having a son. I feel like over the course of Legion I've matured as a player and am ready to get back to a "heavier" raiding schedule and prove myself in a more prestigious guild.

I felt like your emphasis on being a guild that consists of students and working adults (some of whom are parents) fits what I am looking for, and the days / times fit perfectly. The thoroughness and professionalism in your replies to other applicants was a major plus in my book as well. I think in terms of personality, Spike Flail would be a good fit for me.

7. Give us some info on your class knowledge and self performance analysis in this section:

7a. What resources and practices do you use to keep up with your class and maximizing your DPS/HPS/Surivability?
I have a unique situation in this regard. Being a guide writer for Icy Veins / admin and editor on Focused Will (Discipline Priest website/discord), I have direct contact with all of the Discipline theorycrafters and the top Discipline Priests in the world. I have a very deep understanding of the spec and when changes are made I usually have a good instinct to know what changes will mean to our talent selection and playstyle.

7b. What fights in the current tier do you swap Talents and Legendaries to something different than the norm (if at all)? What do you swap and why? Feel free to list on a boss per boss basis.
For Discipline, it's normally pretty cookie-cutter but there are exceptions. For instance, on Varimathras we would spec into Clarity of Will to ensure Necrotic Embrace targets would be able to be topped off before the debuff wore off and they received the healing debuff. Certain encounters would require us to spec into Shield Discipline (if a fight was longer or if we would not receive external mana in the form of Blessing of Wisdom or Innervate, example being Aggramar). Usually swapping to Shield Discipline was done when doing so wouldn't affect overall performance and I would have proper cooldowns to cover raid-wide AoE damage.

7c. How do you analyze your performance on a new fight and figure out how/what you can improve on next week? Don't just say you use logs and compare to others of your class - what specifically are you looking for when you have a good/bad parse?
Learning new fights usually consists of learning much of it on the fly (if you're progressing before any guides or public logs are available) but I will use logs in most cases to perfect my play after the first week.

Some things I normally do when trying to learn a new fight or am reviewing kill / wipe logs:
  • Timing for when I do my "burst rotation". The difference between starting my DPS 1s after raid damage or .25 seconds after raid damage is important. If I could adjust my timing to ensure Atonements are out at the proper time to allow me to follow up with damage can make a big difference in my performance week over week.
  • Verify I am using my cooldowns optimally. In most cases, I can learn this "on the fly" when progressing on a new boss, but reviewing when damage events occur after some attempts could help assist me in ensuring I plan my cooldowns where they make sense. If swapping talents from Shield Discipline (more mana return) to Mindbender (more frequent pet cooldown available) would provide me better performance or align better with the bosses abilities, I can adjust.
  • Spot wasted casts. Currently, Plea is a culprit in a lot of wasted healing and mana drain for Discipline Priests. Reviewing spells that are not efficient and modifying my play is one of the main things I try to do early in progression. In most cases I play "balls-to-the-wall" in very early progression to try and push phases / get through difficult healing mechanics but will adjust over attempts to be more conservative and targeted in my casts to conserve mana as we push into later phases.
  • Awareness. I try to be a hawk when it comes to taking unnecessary damage or moving too much. The less movement I have to make is the more I can DPS/heal. I look for damage events that could have been avoided and make mental note during progression attempts to adjust my positioning.

8. Please include your character log report showcasing your performance on the relevant bosses of the tier. If your logs are private, please change your Warcraftlogs login and list the username/password here so we can access your logs. If you aren't comfortable listing it publicly, please PM it to Palin privately on these forums. Please remember to change your WCL login again a few days later after we've reviewed your application.
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... /m%C3%ABnd

9. Of the above logs, please do a quick analysis of what fights you did well on, what went wrong on certain fights, etc. Use this chance to explain any context behind good/bad logs.
Garothi
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/TW ... ity=194384

I focused on Decimation healing mostly in this encounter. Rapture was best used here for when I needed to be mobile during the first Apocalypse Drive. It was not up for the second but I did use Rapture later after it came off CD for a Decimation. My CD timing was ok at best, I could have went with Mindbender and gotten 3 uses out of it versus just 1 Shadowfiend. I ended the encounter with close to 40% mana which means Shield Discipline was overkill for that attempt.

Aggramar
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Z3 ... 12&phase=4

Intermission 1

I had a really good burst here and handled quite a bit of the damage during the intermission. I normally start the intermissions with Rapture > PW:R > Evangelism + Velens > Pet > Penance > Smites and then will reapply Atonement and go into another PW:R > Lights Wrath at approximately 15 targets for the 2nd big burst.

Intermission 2

Intermission 2 I had issues. I think this was mostly due to the HPal getting a good Aura of Sac off and essentially sniping me. Not really a big deal since intermissions are the most concerning part of the encounter.

Outside of Intermission's it's difficult to grab a lot of the healing since it's mostly spot healing, but after popping add's and the 2nd swipe I would try to quickly get out a PW:R > Penance. I think I have room to improve on Aggramar but I feel I did well even if the parse itself isn't that high.

10. Can your PC handle WoW at high effects (Lust, Scorp Room, etc.)?
Yep.

11. Please include a SS of your raiding UI. IF A KEYBINDING IS NOT SHOWN NO YOUR FRAME, PLEASE EXPLAIN AND list any relevant keybinds not shown in the screenshot. Make sure we can see everything that pops up in a raid, meaning take the SS in combat in LFR or something of the like so we can see your boss mods, timer positioning, WeakAuras, raid frames, etc.

Out of combat / out of group:

Everything active (mouse-over bars are shown):

My raid timers are converted into a WA (DBM as a base) using the Pho Guild Timer WA (provides some added customization, located left of my Carafe/Blinding Light/Bursting/Innervate WA's). I have a custom cursor WA that I made that shows me the most important CD's around my cursor. Raid frames are bottom middle and major CD's are below that. I have my chat frame in an odd place since that's where I have my webcam for streaming. I've turned off healing numbers since they are pointless and they add clutter to my screen.

I have a slightly older version (I need to update this before BFA) of my UI posted on the Focused Will website here.

Clique Bindings:

12. Tell us a bit about yourself. Age, gender, work/school, hobbies, etc. Add anything else you feel is pertinent.
I'm a 30 year old male engineer for John Deere. I have a wife, 7 month old son and a 5 year old doggo. My hobbies really consist of gaming (90% WoW, maybe a little overwatch and some stuff on the Switch). I'm looking at taking streaming seriously in BFA, so we'll see how that goes but I'm going to stick to it and try to grow my brand.

13. Out-of-game contact information - Discord tag, Battle.net ID, etc. Some way we can contact you besides these forums.
Discord is probably best for ease of contacting me, Mend#0001 on Discord. Battle.net is Mend#11540
nikolai
HALLO!

Re: Mend - Discipline Priest

Postby nikolai » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:17 pm

Thanks for the detailed application Mend. I'll repost it internally and someone will be back with some questions sometime tonight or tomorrow.
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:00 am

Hey Mend, thanks for the interest with us and taking the time to write a detailed application. We know they're a pain and appreciate the effort you put in.

Looking at your Antorus logs I have a bit of confusion about the fights you've been in and such. Looks like the week of your Argus for example you didn't do any fight but Argus with them, why not any other farm? Most of these logs are from 6+ weeks ago so I'm guessing you came back for a small period of time, got CE, and have popped into their kills here and there since? The amount of kills since that May 2nd Argus on other bosses seems small still, are you really "back" raiding with them, or is it more of a "fill-in" situation that you come when they need an extra healer or have an extra spot?

Follow up question to that is if we Trialed you we'd want to put you in for pretty much everything the next 4-5 week to see you in action. Is that going to be an issue with scheduling and such since you haven't been raiding consistently week to week it seems?

Your raid experience goes way back and seems like you were part of some strong pushes in the past. Normally we like to find people who have progged the harder fights in the current xpac - something like KJ, Avatar, Argus, etc. Unfortunately the life events haven't allowed you to do that much in Legion. What would you say is the fight in your WoW career you spent the longest on, and how did you overcome the draining impact a night of no progression could have?

Finally, looking at your logs from ToS/NH they were solid but not godly in terms of HPS (insert caveat about healing parses). In Antorus you obviously haven't had a real chance or time to pushing oranges or anything like that. In terms of maximizing HPS on a heavy healing fight, what do you feel has held you back from pushing higher numbers, and/or something you feel you could do better to rank higher with your personal play.

Thanks in advance!
Mend

Postby Mend » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:42 am

Looking at your Antorus logs I have a bit of confusion about the fights you've been in and such. Looks like the week of your Argus for example you didn't do any fight but Argus with them, why not any other farm? Most of these logs are from 6+ weeks ago so I'm guessing you came back for a small period of time, got CE, and have popped into their kills here and there since? The amount of kills since that May 2nd Argus on other bosses seems small still, are you really "back" raiding with them, or is it more of a "fill-in" situation that you come when they need an extra healer or have an extra spot?

For Antorus, I came in towards the end of their progression (they had killed Argus for the first time the week I came back and joined). Most of my raiding was on Garothi>Dogs>Aggramar since there was some Aggramar re-prog (they had only killed Aggramar once before extending to kill Argus). If I recall, it took us a good 2-3 weeks of re-prog on Aggramar to get back to Argus. Once we got back to Argus they opted to have the same 4 healers that had been in on the first kill to be present for the re-kill attempts. This meant I had to sit on the sidelines for the most part as they worked on killing him a second time. I did get in for a kill the week after they got a re-kill but unfortunately I had maybe 50 pulls in and died in phase 1 (to avoidable damage, unfortunately :oops:) on the kill. I have a good grasp of the encounter, but I was still in a learning phase while the others have had over 400 pulls. I think it was a matter of me needing some more time on the boss and missing out on original progression (which is really where I perfect my rotation etc). We haven't raided Mythic as a guild for 2-3 weeks now since we're taking a break until pre-patch (we were having some major attendance issues).

I think the intention was to get me in for re-clears and then fill in for Argus as needed, but we ended up skipping several bosses and just going straight for Aggramar and Argus each week. This meant I got in for Garothi>Dogs>Aggramar but since we only raid 2 nights a week, if we had the original 4 healers for Argus, I was sitting on the bench (understandably so, I came in rather late and had minimal experience compared to everyone else). My intentions weren't to necessarily be a core raider right off the bat late in progression and on early farm but get back into the swing of things in advance of BFA. After talking to the wife a bit more about expanding my play-time to push my streaming and YouTube content going into BFA, I felt like stepping up to more raid days was merited as well (thus I'm applying here instead of sticking to a 2 day raid schedule). I think making the change to increased raid days and a core spot in advance of BFA is the best choice for me personally and it's the right time to make the leap.

I hope this explains the odd ABT kills a bit better.

Follow up question to that is if we Trialed you we'd want to put you in for pretty much everything the next 4-5 week to see you in action. Is that going to be an issue with scheduling and such since you haven't been raiding consistently week to week it seems?

Absolutely no issue here. As stated above and in the application, I've arranged 5 evenings a week to playing WoW with the wife, so I will not have any competing interests, especially on raid nights. I've been itching to get back into raiding but given the circumstances IRL and when I came back, I've been sitting on the sidelines for most of it, unfortunately.

Your raid experience goes way back and seems like you were part of some strong pushes in the past. Normally we like to find people who have progged the harder fights in the current xpac - something like KJ, Avatar, Argus, etc. Unfortunately the life events haven't allowed you to do that much in Legion. What would you say is the fight in your WoW career you spent the longest on, and how did you overcome the draining impact a night of no progression could have?

I'd have to hearken back to TBC and say that the push through KT, Vashj, and Illidan was the hardest push I've had in the game. I helped start a guild late in the KT/Vashj tier and was the healing leader during that time. We quickly cleared SSC and TK prior to Black Temple being released. We went from something like realm 5th to realm 2nd (behind <Rush> on Dark Iron, I believe top 50 US at the time) after blitzing through BT on a 5 night a week, 4 hours a night schedule and killing Illidan at the end of the week with maybe 10 minutes left of the raid. Our kill ended up being only 12-14 people and I was one of two healers remaining (holy paladin at the time). I'd say this 2-3 month period was the hardest push I've ever put into the game, but also the most engaging and memorable.

Finally, looking at your logs from ToS/NH they were solid but not godly in terms of HPS (insert caveat about healing parses). In Antorus you obviously haven't had a real chance or time to pushing oranges or anything like that. In terms of maximizing HPS on a heavy healing fight, what do you feel has held you back from pushing higher numbers, and/or something you feel you could do better to rank higher with your personal play.

I think what really held me back most of all in Legion was time commitment, but also struggling to find a real home early in the expansion. I did end up finding and raiding with a 6 hour a week (2 day) guild for several months and was their healing officer (<Rocket Surgery> on Whisperwind). I raided with them up until I took a break prior to my son being born. Being on a 6 hour schedule meant we usually overhealed or potentially even extended after difficult bosses to ensure we could push progression as far as possible on that limited time. This normally meant my parses were either on a first kill or I was fighting other healers for healing when we were over geared and over healing on farm. One major issue with most guilds I've been in (seems like a reoccurring theme with 2 night guilds) is that we typically never dropped a healer to make farm faster, and deep farm just never happened since we were extending to push progression.

However, there is a lot of room for me to improve in terms of numbers. I think dedicating set time for the game going into BFA will provide me the needed time to delve deep into my logs and perfect my cooldown usage, timing, etc from week to week to improve. Even with a deep understanding of the spec, there is always the conversion to making that a reality through execution. I'm far from a parse whore type person, so going for rank 1 parses is just not going to happen for me but I am wanting to push into high purple / orange parses. I believe that will come given my additional time to research (sometimes I was just so busy I never got time to review my logs at more than a glance) and being with a guild from the beginning of an expansion to the end will alleviate some of my issues I had in Legion.

--------

I did want to also acknowledge that I'm totally aware that, based on my history in Legion (and prior even) as well as my current logs, I'm somewhat of a risky choice. One thing that doesn't translate well in terms of my progression and logs is my mental readiness and my personal progression; I've grown a lot as a player / person in the past 2 years. I've worked my way up from being an LFR hero for 2 expansions to being a community figure for my spec, guide writer on a major WoW website, and running a fantastic community of some of the best players in the game. This personal progression of mine has lead me to this point and think that I'm more ready than I've ever been to make the leap in raid progression and commit to taking the next step in my growth as a player.

With risk comes reward, and I think that this being somewhat of a risk for both of us could end up being very rewarding in return. I really appreciate your quick reply and additional clarifying questions. Thanks for your consideration and if you have any more questions I'll do my best to answer them.

Return to “Applications”