Dispersion - Shadow Priest

Want to join? Post your application here.

Moderator: Officer

Dispersion

Dispersion - Shadow Priest

Postby Dispersion » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:20 pm

1. Character name, Server

Dispersion, Mal'ganis

2. Class, Race, and Spec (and Artifact Level)

Priest / Blood Elf / 81

3. Link to an Armory profile, and an explanation of anything that may not be readily apparent from your Armory profile (alternate sets of gear, currently PvP-specced, etc.)

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... dispersion could possibly be logged out with the legendary chest equipped (m+ cheese)

4. What are your usual playing hours? Are there days/times when you are consistently unavailable? Inform us of your daily work/school schedule, what time do you get home from work/school, and what time must you be in bed for the next day. Are you able to make our raid times in general? Is this availability going to change within the next few months, or with a change in Semester (if applicable)?

I currently have two jobs, I brew for a local brewery and tend to the six acres of hops tied to it while doing carpentry work on the side. my work hours should never interfere with raid time, unless I'm out of town on a jobsite (very rare, will be given a notification weeks ahead of time)

5. Discuss your prior endgame raiding experience. Specify your experience with Heroic/Mythic in previous content as well as your experience in the current tier.

I downloaded WoW in December of 2005, and got into raiding as soon as I possibly could. The server I'd started on had a pretty healthy player base, which gave me the ability to pick from a decent amount of relatively solid guilds. We managed to clear up to C'thun in AQ40, and killed a couple bosses in Naxx40. My progress throughout expansions was at an average level until I decided to transfer off my original server in search of a more competitive environment near the end of WoTLK. I ended up joining a guild named <Infallible>, who was ranked 30th US at the time. Ruby Sanctum Halion released a couple weeks after I'd joined and we snagged a 27th US kill, and this is where I really fell in love with the competitive raiding scene back then (duo healing 25m H ICC with a holy paladin was some of the most fun I've ever had in this game. we had the fastest time attack in the world for a solid two months). We finished t11 in cataclysm ranked 7th US/33rd in the world, and shortly after I decided to focus more on school and decided to step down so the guild had a solid amount of time to find another healer to replace me before Firelands hit. (4 months ;-p)

6. Why do you want to leave your current guild? Why do you want to join us? Specifically, what interests you in our band of merry idiots?

I'd just recently started taking the game a little more seriously as my RL time is more readily available, and would like to get back into competitive raiding. I came back near the end of WoD after quitting in Cataclysm, and <Infallible> no longer existed. I decided to transfer back to my original server (horrible idea), and raided casually throughout Legion in a guild named <Group Two>. Spike Flail is a name that I've seen around for years, which is mostly what I'm interested in - a guild that's got a solid foundation to work with. I would honestly go back to <Infallible>, as they just reformed and started raiding this expansion... but they're alliance, and I'd much prefer to stay horde if I could.

7. Give us some info on your class knowledge and self performance analysis in this section: I'd just like to add here that I've mained a Priest since 2005 and while the majority of my time spent in this game was healing, I'd like to think that I can play this class with my eyes closed and my keyboard disconnected. it's literally second nature at this point. I have a bunch of alts as well that I wouldn't mind keeping relevant to better the guild in the end. (rogue, druid, warrior, mage, demon hunter, monk)

7a. What resources and practices do you use to keep up with your class and maximizing your DPS/HPS/Surivability?

warcraftlogs does just about everything you need when it comes to figuring out what you're doing wrong, which is something that would've been nice to have back in wotlk/cataclysm. worldoflogs was around, but it didn't do nearly as much for you. I'd like to say that I spend a lot of time outside of raid figuring out what I can do to squeeze out more damage (I still sim, pay attention to patch notes/buffs/nerfs etc etc) but have recently found myself not taking the game as seriously due to the casual environment I found myself in. this would be completely different if I'd have a reason to play competitively, and is the main reason I'm searching for a new guild. the competitive aspect of this game is what I found the most enjoyable, more so in the personal parses and less the overall guild ranking. which is pretty funny considering I did nothing but healed for 7 years!

7b. What fights in the current tier do you swap Talents and Legendaries to something different than the norm (if at all)? What do you swap and why? Feel free to list on a boss per boss basis.

the guild I was clearing mythic ABT with extended lockouts quite frequently, which didn't really give me the ability to play around with different legendaries/talents to take advantage of a boss that's on farm and dies quickly. if given the opportunity I'd like to dick around with S2M on a couple bosses, that's about it though. shadow is pretty lax in the talent switching department at this point in time. the legendary ring twins painful touch could potentially be fun for high command

7c. How do you analyze your performance on a new fight and figure out how/what you can improve on next week? Don't just say you use logs and compare to others of your class - what specifically are you looking for when you have a good/bad parse?

I'm constantly playing around with cooldowns during progression to get my timing down throughout the entirety of the fight which will produce the best results, while focusing on what I can do to handle avoidable mechanics with the least amount of movement as possible to increase my uptime on the boss (huge deal for a shadow priest this expansion it seems :-( rather unfortunate). when I have a good parse (that isn't due to a stupid amount of tendril spawns, or rng related procs) I like to take the time to retrace when cooldowns were used. because of how different each boss can be, whether its adds or burn phases, getting the timing down for mindbender/void torrent to reach the most stacks possible is extremely important!

8. Please include your character log report showcasing your performance on the relevant bosses of the tier. If your logs are private, please change your Warcraftlogs login and list the username/password here so we can access your logs. If you aren't comfortable listing it publicly, please PM it to Palin privately on these forums. Please remember to change your WCL login again a few days later after we've reviewed your application.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/us/draka/rhale

9. Of the above logs, please do a quick analysis of what fights you did well on, what went wrong on certain fights, etc. Use this chance to explain any context behind good/bad logs.

I really don't have any worthwhile logs to break down, we've spent the past ~two months wiping on Argus with no real sign of progression (mostly p1 wipes). I just haven't taken this game as seriously and it shows. the one thing I will note is my lack of healthstone/healthpot usage. gross!

10. Can your PC handle WoW at high effects (Lust, Scorp Room, etc.)?

yes!

11. Please include a SS of your raiding UI. IF A KEYBINDING IS NOT SHOWN NO YOUR FRAME, PLEASE EXPLAIN AND list any relevant keybinds not shown in the screenshot. Make sure we can see everything that pops up in a raid, meaning take the SS in combat in LFR or something of the like so we can see your boss mods, timer positioning, WeakAuras, raid frames, etc.

12. Tell us a bit about yourself. Age, gender, work/school, hobbies, etc. Add anything else you feel is pertinent.

I'm 28 years old, live in South Dakota (haaa, yeah. people live here) and honestly spend most of my time outdoors. I love fishing and hunting, and take care of roughly 6,500 hop plants by hand! I drink a lot of beer, so I had to learn how to brew it. when I'm not killing something, farming, or getting drunk, I like to play computer games! the MMO genre has always been a favorite of mine, and I've played lots of them over the years. I raided competitively in a game called Rift (15/19 world first kills for the first three tiers) and encountered some of the most well designed boss encounters I've seen in any game (to date). Akylios will always hold a special place in my heart! I'll occasionally play LoL or CS:GO

13. Out-of-game contact information - Discord tag, Battle.net ID, etc. Some way we can contact you besides these forums.

my battle.net ID is Smooth#11999

I appreciate you taking the time to review my application and look forward to hearing back from you! I'd like to end it by stating that while my progression the past couple years hasn't been impressive, I know what it takes to compete at a top 10 US environment and wouldn't have any issues in a raid at that level. we received over ~25 applications a day so your raid spot was never permanent, which was a huge benefit towards my willpower to improve my game play daily!
Palin
The Professor

Re: Dispersion - Shadow Priest

Postby Palin » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:33 pm

Hi Rhale, thanks for your interest with us and taking the time to apply! We appreciate the time and effort, and know they are a pain.

Cool to see a long term MMO player, I never played Rift but heard it had good endgame.

Since your kills are relatively low for Antorus due to extending, can you link your Argus prog and highlight anything you feel you've been doing well or trying to work on as you push for a kill?

How many pulls into Argus are you guys now?

Thanks in advance.
Dispersion

Postby Dispersion » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:45 pm

if you have any extra free time I'd highly recommend checking this boss out! it basically sums up rift raiding a nutshell and was hands down one of the hardest bosses I've seen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7RzwDYEf0k (our guardian 1st world kill)

I unfortunately had to change my name when I transferred servers, but here's where you can find our parses. https://www.warcraftlogs.com/guilds/1494

I believe we were around 350 pulls in when myself and a couple other people decided to call it quits. it's not a very good showcasing for me due to the fact that my class takes a while to build up damage compared to other damage dealing specs, but I was definitely picking up tricks along the way. ie. picking up the buff you don't want right away, then swapping to the other before it expires. also gives yourself enough time to grab buffs vs getting cluttered with mechanics and potentially screwing something up!

part of me wants to find a guild that's a little further along in progressing through the boss just so that I can provide parses, I'm just trying to skip a couple stones at this point if you catch my drift.
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:22 am

Thanks Dispersion, that was an interesting vid. Didn't watch all 20 min but it looked cool what I skipped around.

After some review we're going to unfortunately pass on your application. The number of kills and current Mythic experience you possess is just lower than what we're looking for at this time - because of your prog you haven't really had time to refine your game on anything but Argus wipes and show that through your logs.

part of me wants to find a guild that's a little further along in progressing through the boss just so that I can provide parses, I'm just trying to skip a couple stones at this point if you catch my drift.

I don't like to encourage guild hopping but that may be the right idea, feel free to check us out down the line if you do end up with more logs.

Thanks again for your interest and take care!

Return to “Applications”