Dianox Shadow Priest

Want to join? Post your application here.

Moderator: Officer

Dianox

Dianox Shadow Priest

Postby Dianox » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:25 pm

1. Character name, Server
Dianox on Bleeding-Hollow

2. Class, Race, and Spec (and Artifact Level)
Blood Elf Shadow Priest

3. Link to an Armory profile, and an explanation of anything that may not be readily apparent from your Armory profile (alternate sets of gear, currently PvP-specced, etc.)
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... low/dianox

4. What are your usual playing hours? Are there days/times when you are consistently unavailable? Inform us of your daily work/school schedule, what time do you get home from work/school, and what time must you be in bed for the next day. Are you able to make our raid times in general? Is this availability going to change within the next few months, or with a change in Semester (if applicable)?
I generally work 6am to 6pm (including travel time) CST Monday through Friday. I have no immediate plans for the near future. I generally like to get to bed before midnight my time which is why your raid schedule fits my play hours perfectly

5. Discuss your prior endgame raiding experience. Specify your experience with Heroic/Mythic in previous content as well as your experience in the current tier.
I've been playing WoW on and off since the end of vanilla! I used to focus on PvP and I held several rank 1 Gladiator titles before I got a perma ban for providing arena boosts. Since my return in WoD, I have focused more on the PvE side of things as I always strive to be the best at what I do. Every tier in WoD onwards, I have been a top 5 US shadow priest during progression. I have cleared every mythic tier since I returned while it was current and always prior to any nerfs going out. I have currently cleared mythic argus

6. Why do you want to leave your current guild? Why do you want to join us? Specifically, what interests you in our band of merry idiots?
I'm still in my most recent raiding guild <Synergy> on Bleeding-Hollow. A newly formed guild with leadership from BDG and Encore. I wasn't a fan of pushing alt mythic progression at the end of the tier and I was already burnt out. Quit on good terms with the raid lead and just hanging out in the guild until I find a new home for BFA. I'M LOOKING FOR A LONG TERM GUILD. So many guilds died throughout this expansion and having to bounce around and be set at the bottom of the chain for gear and such was super annoying. I am a creature of habit and nothing would please me more than joining a guild with a strong history and sticking with it.

7. Give us some info on your class knowledge and self performance analysis in this section:
I have played shadow priest since the dawn of time and it has always been my main. BFA is the first expansion I'm even seriously considering playing something else out the gate. I usually perform my own sims and sit at the target dummy trying to figure out the most optimal play-style. I utilize how2priest and other priest dps tools and sources of information but I have learned that I generally come to the same conclusion as the H2P community and sometimes even before them. For example, I was using the CoP dot-weaving rotation during WoD before there was any information on it and it took a while for H2P to post anything regarding it just because it was such a complicated and unnatural play-style. I know my class inside out and I am very proficient in digging through logs to understand and breakdown my performance.

7a. What resources and practices do you use to keep up with your class and maximizing your DPS/HPS/Surivability?
I supposed I mentioned this in the above question a bit. I utilize how2priest and simcraft along with sitting on the target dummy to check for fluidity and practicality. During live servers, I research logs before a new and upcoming fight and I do my homework on my role as DPS and as providing any needed utility to help ease progression. This generally involves beta testing and watching VODs of the upcoming fight, as appropriate

7b. What fights in the current tier do you swap Talents and Legendaries to something different than the norm (if at all)? What do you swap and why? Feel free to list on a boss per boss basis.
Shadow priest talents don't ever change until you try to Surrender to Madness during speed/parse clears. With S2M, you take Reaper of Souls and the rest of your talents remain the same. Same can be said for legendaries. You only run belt and sephuz and in the even of trying to cheese or pad, you can run the dot ring or the void eruption chest. This is suboptimal play for progression, however.

7c. How do you analyze your performance on a new fight and figure out how/what you can improve on next week? Don't just say you use logs and compare to others of your class - what specifically are you looking for when you have a good/bad parse?
I always go into a new fight ready and aware of the mechanics and my role in the fight. I am a quick learner and while I'm not afraid to ask questions, I generally end up answering more questions than I ask. When working through progression, I parse extremely well due to my understanding of the fight and where I need to position to have the most uptime. Shadow does so poorly with movement that you really do have to plan that far ahead and cannot play a reactive play style at all. If I parse poorly, I almost always know why. Perhaps I died, perhaps I was off healing or performing a task that required movement and prioritized a mechanic over dps. I have no problem performing the hard task during progression and I am generally relied on by the raid/raid lead to be consistent in performing those tasks. I rarely have a poor parse due to a rotational error and should that be the case, I can almost immediately identify the problem (a dot fell off or I messed up the opener during a surrender to madness rotation, etc). I don't mean to come off as arrogant or cocky so I apologize if this sounded that way. I truly do severely dissect my logs should I have even a mediocre (purple) parse without me knowing in advance

8. Please include your character log report showcasing your performance on the relevant bosses of the tier. If your logs are private, please change your Warcraftlogs login and list the username/password here so we can access your logs. If you aren't comfortable listing it publicly, please PM it to Palin privately on these forums. Please remember to change your WCL login again a few days later after we've reviewed your application.
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... low/dianox

9. Of the above logs, please do a quick analysis of what fights you did well on, what went wrong on certain fights, etc. Use this chance to explain any context behind good/bad logs.
A log I did poorly on was our first Coven kill. This is a fight where shadow priest shines and while I did okay DPS wise, I remember feeling as though I did poorly in the moments when we killed the boss. I tunneled and got hit 3 times by Cosmic Glare. Same situation happened with the Storm of Darkness. While it is okay to take a few ticks during lightning adds, I got greedy with my dot up time on adds. On this kill, I also didn't focus target the Aman'Thul adds and instead dotted them up and continued with my rotation on the boss. In hindsight this was a mistake but in the moment, my job was to do as much spread damage as possible and it didn't occur to me to keep my main target as one of the adds. Looking at the replay, there are two moments where I felt as though I planted my feet and others were forced to move around me instead of helping them out by making way. I generally don't play like this which is why I felt that that was a bad kill on my part.

While my Argus log is incredible poor, that is attributed to two reasons. The first being that I had an RL issue that I had to step down from early Argus progression so I wasn't able to get many pulls in on Argus. A month or so later I joined <Synergy>, a group of players that were already 11/11m with several kills on Argus. I had to learn the fight on the go and while it went well, I died to getting clipped by the ground effect of the cone after it was placed (I got greedy trying to get a buff and clipped it). The second reason the remainder of my parses are poor on Argus is because the guild pushed him SO INCREDIBLY FAST. We hit the 3:45 marker and had to stop dps as we were aiming to push him around the 4:20 marker. That was usually 30-45 seconds of standing still and dodging scythes, if you go to the back end of the log, I was pumping upwards 4.5mil DPS in the last phase and that is comparable with the best of the logs for shadow priest

I feel the rest of the fights went incredibly well. My Aggramar parses are lower than I'd like because I did my job as the dispel/mass dispeller and killed the adds as needed. I sacrificed a lot of boss dps to make sure the adds were in good spots and helped out with stuns as well. I performed mechanics while doing all of this. Overall not my best log dps wise but a good benchmark for you to understand that I'm a team player. [/b
]

10. Can your PC handle WoW at high effects (Lust, Scorp Room, etc.)?
[b]It flops during the cheese strat in the Scorp room but its good aside that. I am looking to upgrade it as soon as cards become more affordable. This PC is a few years old, one I built myself on a college budget

11. Please include a SS of your raiding UI. IF A KEYBINDING IS NOT SHOWN NO YOUR FRAME, PLEASE EXPLAIN AND list any relevant keybinds not shown in the screenshot. Make sure we can see everything that pops up in a raid, meaning take the SS in combat in LFR or something of the like so we can see your boss mods, timer positioning, WeakAuras, raid frames, etc.
https://puu.sh/AcqEf/995b87984b.jpg

12. Tell us a bit about yourself. Age, gender, work/school, hobbies, etc. Add anything else you feel is pertinent.
I'm almost a 26 years old male. I love alts and I usually focus on alts near the end of an expansion but it was rough this time through. Outside of WoW, my hobbies include lifting (I used to be a personal trainer) and playing basketball. I work in a large finance company and I recently moved to Minneapolis to live with my girlfriend. We are looking to buy a house soon so we can have more puppies and a backyard to enable them to roam and be outdoors. We recently got 20 inches of snow in April and I don't really know why I live here. In and out of the game, I am a friendly and approachable person - I don't get offended nor am I one to offend others. My top two personality traits for the Clifton strength finder are harmony and competition. I am very competitive while maintaining a harmonic composure. I avoid conflict unless absolutely necessary. Please let me know if you need any additional information!

13. Out-of-game contact information - Discord tag, Battle.net ID, etc. Some way we can contact you besides these forums.
Dianox#1356 in WoW - I already have Palin added and we have been chatting over the past week or two
Palin
The Professor

Re: Dianox Shadow Priest

Postby Palin » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:03 pm

Hey Dian, thanks for the application and interest with us again - appreciate it. A few questions off the bat:

-Looks like you joined Synergy around March, and in a guild called Tyranny for about a year before that. What caused you to leave Tyranny for Synergy, especially since Tyranny seems more progressed at quick glance?

Outside of alt Mythic, is there a reason you're looking to leave Synergy after only 3-4 months? Were you not aware they would be planning to push alt Mythic when initially joining them back in March?

I have played shadow priest since the dawn of time and it has always been my main. BFA is the first expansion I'm even seriously considering playing something else out the gate

My TBC mana bot brother! What have you considered playing or are currently playing around with on Beta if you have access?

While my Argus log is incredible poor, that is attributed to two reasons. The first being that I had an RL issue that I had to step down from early Argus progression so I wasn't able to get many pulls in on Argus. A month or so later I joined <Synergy>, a group of players that were already 11/11m with several kills on Argus. I had to learn the fight on the go and while it went well, I died to getting clipped by the ground effect of the cone after it was placed (I got greedy trying to get a buff and clipped it). The second reason the remainder of my parses are poor on Argus is because the guild pushed him SO INCREDIBLY FAST. We hit the 3:45 marker and had to stop dps as we were aiming to push him around the 4:20 marker. That was usually 30-45 seconds of standing still and dodging scythes, if you go to the back end of the log, I was pumping upwards 4.5mil DPS in the last phase and that is comparable with the best of the logs for shadow priest

Only all 3 of your kills did you guys Lust at start still? That waiting for the 2nd lust strat will absolutely kill your Parse. However I see the first 2 kills you still had some troubles in P4 optimizing DPS (to be expected), but the last you did really well as you said. What did you change that allowed such a drastic improvement in the last phase.

-Looking at your Kin'garoth kills, you've had a rough last 4-5 kills on it. I see a few you were murdered by teammates, what happened on this recent log with the x2 death to Forging Strike? And the other with a Ruiner death?

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/F9 ... amage-done
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/F9 ... ype=deaths

-Guessing with your keybinds you use a Mouse/keypad combo? If not, I'm curious how are you hitting VE on - button?

Thanks in advance!
Dianox

Postby Dianox » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:15 am

Hi Palin,

Long story short (I'd rather not get into details about Tyranny), they were a great guild and good to me for the majority (80%) of my duration there. Near the end the structure of the guild changed and so did the attitude. I had a RL item to attend which had me step out for Argus prog for 2 weeks and when I got back, there was no spot for me (understandably). After they killed Argus (I stuck around to see if they needed help), I decided to move on to a guild with a better environment. I tried leaving on good terms but my alts got lobbed and the bridge was burnt rather unprofessionally.

As for leaving Synergy, I was not aware they would be pushing alt Mythic progression this tier. I believe they initially planned on no splits for BFA, which changed to 1 (which i was okay with) and that changed to 2 as we got more players willing to maintain 2 alts. The Synergy roster changed every week, as is to be expected from a guild planning on pushing top 10 in BFA and their alt and raid requirements/times got more 'hardcore'. I didn't like the direction of the guild so I left on good terms. I was getting severely burnt out being on an alt I didn't want to be and it was affecting my play also.

Regarding what I'd rather move forward with as opposed to shadow priest, I'm not sure. I'm leaning towards mage or lock. In the past I have never enjoyed multi dps spec classes because they require a lot more time to maintain and I'd rather use that time elsewhere. BFA seems very alt friendly. I have my shadow priest at 120 and it was very painful to level it. It seems very butchered and I'm not sure what direction they are taking the spec. From my deduction they want to make it more bursty with shorter voidforms but all that ends up doing is making the rotation awkward and you just end up holding voidform for a clump of adds instead of using it to start ramping up your dps. I played around with a lot of different talents and it just sucks. Not only numbers wise but also playstyle wise. I most likely will level my priest first and do another ranged alt right after so if you have any preference, I can play any range as my secondary, just let me know!

Yeah we lusted 8 seconds before the pull for the first two kills and I believe 15s before the pull on the last kill. The increase in DPS just came from the familiarity. As stated earlier, I'm a very quick learner and by the 3rd kill, I had my positioning and fight timings down. Regarding Kin'garoth, I was sent to different locations every kill and the strat that Synergy did was different from Tyranny when it came to tank positioning. I got lazy and didn't recheck where the tanks were positioned and walked over the first forging strike. Then I got rez'd, took it and strafed left to avoid to forging strike coming up in 3 seconds and the tank also strafed left to avoid clubbing me after I rez'd. It was quite hilarious, we both tried to dodge each other. And with it being farm, I was trying to get a good parse which requires a lot of moving around the map ahead of time by determining which add has the lowest dps so I got turned around by doing laps. For when I got hit by the Ruiner, it was the visual bug which pointed him in the other direction for a second and I thought I was safe. In all honesty, this is not how I play for progression, I was just having fun with a new guild, chatting and dpsing.

Damn calling me out on the VE. I've had that as my VE keybind since I started the game 12 years ago and I'm quite used to using the full range of 1 through = keybinds. While I have shy'd away from the 7 through = as they pruned spells and more keybinds became available, I just never moved VE off :P
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:23 pm

Hey Dian, thanks for the latest set of answers. We haven't forgotten about your app - still doing some internal review and will get back to you ASAP. Thanks for your patience.
Dianox

Postby Dianox » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:04 pm

No problem! Let me know if you have any questions or concerns I can address. I'm a pretty open book

Return to “Applications”