Coldmember-Mage

Want to join? Post your application here.

Moderator: Officer

i3etski

Coldmember-Mage

Postby i3etski » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:45 pm

1. Character name, Server
Coldmember, Whisperwind

2. Class, Race, and Spec (and Artifact Level)
Mage, Void Elf, Fire-80, Frost-76, Arcance-75

3. Link to an Armory profile, and an explanation of anything that may not be readily apparent from your Armory profile (alternate sets of gear, currently PvP-specced, etc.)
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... coldmember (I run m+ and raid as frost or fire, so my gear set may seem wonky depending on what I logged out on) (Typically 980 equipped as fire and 972 as frost)

4. What are your usual playing hours? Are there days/times when you are consistently unavailable? Inform us of your daily work/school schedule, what time do you get home from work/school, and what time must you be in bed for the next day. Are you able to make our raid times in general? Is this availability going to change within the next few months, or with a change in Semester (if applicable)?
I'm typically busy most days with either work or school, but I am free and online most nights, around 7ish, and am online until for as long as I can be, usually b/w 10-2. I am college student working part time, if I am not at work or preoccupied with school I am usually online doing something. Mondays I usually work a closing shift, so I will not be available until after 11 pm. When it comes to work and school, right now I have Tuesdays and Thursday off completely, with short days on Sundays(4pm est), and like I had previously stated, free the rest of the days save Monday by 7. With my current schedule my availability coincides perfectly with the posted raid times, so there should be no problem in making raids if I am to be accepted. This schedule should stay constant, until spring semester, where I will be taking classes that have limited availability, but it should not be a problem with raid times.

5. Discuss your prior endgame raiding experience. Specify your experience with Heroic/Mythic in previous content as well as your experience in the current tier.
I started mythic raiding in NH, where I eventually ended up going 8/10(Our guild was newly formed and had a late start) and then 8/9 in ToS, and am currently 11/11 in AtBT(US 183). I started playing in MoP, and up until this expansion only played casually, leveling alts and clearing no higher than normal. I took a break after Highmaul in WoD and when I came back decided that I was going to give "real" raiding a shot, and once I got a taste for progression raiding I haven't looked back since, xd.

6. Why do you want to leave your current guild? Why do you want to join us? Specifically, what interests you in our band of merry idiots?
It's not so much that I want to leave my current guild, it's more that more I miss playing as horde. I just like everything better, the races, lore, and even cities. Also, I have a lot of friends who will/have transferred to horde for BfA and I want to continue to be able to push m+ and play with them.
I am very interested in this particular guild for several reasons. Firstly, the raid times are great, I was looking for a 9-12 hr/week 3 day raiding guild. I also wanted to be on a larger server, have currently played on only small servers and it can be frustrating. Spike Flail's progression also peaked my interest. I take raiding seriously and want to be in a like minded environment, but also an environment that remembers this is a game in the end and we all play to have fun in the end, and this was made evident by the guilds rate of progression and the fact you can refer to yourselves as a band of merry idiots.

7. Give us some info on your class knowledge and self performance analysis in this section:

7a. What resources and practices do you use to keep up with your class and maximizing your DPS/HPS/Surivability?
I will regularly use Altered Time(mage specific website) and the mage discord for the in depth simcrafting, optimal talent choices and stat weights at the start of tiers so I know what I should be aiming for loot/tier set wise. I also use raidbots to sim all my different gear sets for several different fight lengths and scenarious(heavy adds, light movement, council style), and to find my stat weights for each gear set. I also go through Warcraft logs looking at top parses and parses that have similar time lengths to what our guild is experiencing to compare where cds were used, add damage, etc. to see if there are any minor adjustments that I can make to more optimally use my cds and to see/compare the talents/specs that other mages are using for the encounter.

7b. What fights in the current tier do you swap Talents and Legendaries to something different than the norm (if at all)? What do you swap and why? Feel free to list on a boss per boss basis.
Garothi- Since it is a shorter patchwork/light movement fight I use my bracers and shard(double lust ring) legendaries. with a crit/mastery build. As for talents I use the standard single target build, firestarter, shimmer, incanters flow(RoP can be used and will probably give you better results if your lucky/don't soak so you can turret after the initially bombs go out), flame on, frantic speed, unstable magic, and kindling.
Doggies- It is another single target fight but with more heavy movement so I chose use the scorch belt instead of the ring and move to a more master/haste build to get more out of the set up. As for talents, they remain the same.
HC- I use the same set up as the doggies (mastery builds acale better with targets) except I switch to my aoe trinkets and use flamepatch instead of unstable magic since there are adds to aoe/cleave down but no enough to warrant living bomb, imo.
PK- Depending on what I am tasked with (portals) I may go frost for more st burst damage using bracers and sephuz and the standard aoe build or fire (platform) and use the same talents/gear as HC. A case can be made to use the legendary helm for fire over the belt if add damage is low.
Eonar- I change to full aoe talents for fire, using conflagration for added cleave, rop, and living bomb. I run shepuz and helm for my leggos to ensure the most burst.
Imonar- I go to the full patchwork fire build. This uses the same talents as Garothi except I use rop instead of incanters flow due to how patchwork the fight is.
Kingaroth- Here I use the same set up as imonar except I take meteor instead of kindling and use an aoe trinket. This gives me guaranteed burst for each add phase with a 2 min combustion.
Vari- For this fight I go frost, using the cookie cutter st build but instead of shimmer I use icy flows. This allows for 100 uptime while moving out of pools, since shimmer sends you to far, so I can sit on all my procs and do no damage to anything other than adds cuz frost mage.
Coven- I go with the exact same build as dogs, for pretty much the exact same reason. Only difference is that the stats that I have with that build increase my cleave damage. I may also run the PPD trinket for added cleave if the bosses are being held close enough together.
Agg- I use the same build as dogs since lust is saved for the end of the fight and lines up with the 30% execute your get with the scorch belt.
Arg- I use the same build as aggramar since the titanforged execute phase is such a large damage boost as opposed to the potential 4 lusts you can get with the while using the ring.

7c. How do you analyze your performance on a new fight and figure out how/what you can improve on next week? Don't just say you use logs and compare to others of your class - what specifically are you looking for when you have a good/bad parse?
Here, logs are my best friend. I use them to see where I've used my cd's, where other mages have used their cd's, to check to see where and why I took damage and how that compares to others, and to see where my damage is going and if it is going where it is needed. Outside of logs, every pull I'm trying to determine where it is I need to be positioned to optimally perform the encounter. One pull I may be in a "safe" are but if I were to move left a few meters maybe player Y may have had an easier time avoiding a mechanic.

8. Please include your character log report showcasing your performance on the relevant bosses of the tier. If your logs are private, please change your Warcraftlogs login and list the username/password here so we can access your logs. If you aren't comfortable listing it publicly, please PM it to Palin privately on these forums. Please remember to change your WCL login again a few days later after we've reviewed your application.
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... coldmember

9. Of the above logs, please do a quick analysis of what fights you did well on, what went wrong on certain fights, etc. Use this chance to explain any context behind good/bad logs.
Good- This past weeks Aggramar kill, the parse may be exceptionally low, but it was no fault of my own. That day were having trouble with damage during intermissions (typically I use my cd on pull and hold it for the 2nd with no problems). So I swapped around leggos so that my cds would always be up for when they were needed, at the expense of overall damage. Also, there was no extra damage taken or soaks missed. I think most of my vari logs are also good. They clearly show that I am not going for parses but valuing where my damage is most needed to overcome the encounter, also it shows I'm willing to play "offspecs" if it is more suited to an encounter.
Bad- There is a log on coven where I accidently blinked on top our resto shaman while the lightning adds were out. I immediately owned up to it and apologized for failing such a trivial mechanic, but its one that shouldn't happened. Also there are a few Aggramar kills where I had died. On these pulls I had burned my health pot and ice block early and didn't have them to help negate the intense ticking damage of the encounter. I take my mistakes to heart and ensure to learn from them as to not repeatedly make them. Also, if my overall parses on agg look weak, it is because our guild runs a strat that requires range to lose a lot of uptime on the boss.

10. Can your PC handle WoW at high effects (Lust, Scorp Room, etc.)?
Yes, I recently was in the market for a new pc and went all out with an i7 8700k and a 1080ti.

11. Please include a SS of your raiding UI. IF A KEYBINDING IS NOT SHOWN NO YOUR FRAME, PLEASE EXPLAIN AND list any relevant keybinds not shown in the screenshot. Make sure we can see everything that pops up in a raid, meaning take the SS in combat in LFR or something of the like so we can see your boss mods, timer positioning, WeakAuras, raid frames, etc.

https://imgur.com/a/B7hIhol

12. Tell us a bit about yourself. Age, gender, work/school, hobbies, etc. Add anything else you feel is pertinent.
What's going on, first off thank you actually making this far through my application. I am a 26 y.o male. Currently working part time while finishing up my degree in environmental science after taking some time off. I love to go fishing, snowboarding, and other outdoorsy stuff while I'm not nerding out on WoW or overwatch. I am incredibly laid back and easy going so feel free to ask me any questions you may have!! (quickly proof read and hoping there aren't any embarrassing typos)

13. Out-of-game contact information - Discord tag, Battle.net ID, etc. Some way we can contact you besides these forums.
bnet- i3etski#1955
Palin
The Professor

Re: Coldmember-Mage

Postby Palin » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:44 pm

Hey Cold, thanks for your interest with us and taking the time to apply. Appreciate the time and effort that goes into it, we know they are a pain.

-Regarding parses, I see you default to fire in most circumstances outside of the ones you mentioned (PK Portals and Varim). Out of curiosity why haven't you explored Frost in situations like Coven or Felhounds where it can stronger due to cleave? Or even on something like Agrammar in the situation you mentioned about needing more add damage?

-When BfA comes out and, in all likelyhood, fire is not the best spec of the 3 do you feel that you can pick up and play either or both of these specs at a mythic raiding level? Each spec has certainly had its time to shine in this xpac.

-Do you have access and can link your Tomb/Nighthold logs? Looks like they were under a different name/server?

-Do you track your pantheon, concord, etc. procs? I see ACI but not the others, correct me if I'm wrong. Tracking these can make the difference between an 8M pyro and a 13M pyro.

Thanks in advance.
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:15 pm

I'd also have to ask, what did you start doing differently on Argus to go from green/blues to Oranges? Not even a purple in between! :)
i3etski

Postby i3etski » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:07 am

I actually dabbled with frost on all of the fights during progression. On dogs, it was probably just my gear at the time, but I just found that I had more success running fire with the added mobility of the belt. On coven, we don't do a great job of keeping the bosses close enough together for splitting ice to actually cleave, same goes with moving them from add to add. So I just stuck with fire, I also noticed that with the way the timers were, I was guaranteed to have combustion coming off of cd for amenthuls. For Aggramar, fire just made sense for our strat. In phase 3 we drop all the flares by the bridge, so the added mobility the belt offered just translated to a better performance. Also, I just prefer fires rotation xd. I mained frost all through NH (rip double icelance melee mage, even though its sorta still there its not the same) and most of ToS, until we got to Avatar. I am more than comfortable saying come BfA that I will be able to play any of the specs at the mythic level, I've been fooling around with arcane a little on the beta and it is looking pretty interesting. I do not track concordance and my pantheon proc. This is mainly in part that you do not ever want to munch a bracer proc, the only time you should ever hold onto it is combustion is 15ish secs away from coming off of cd so you are guaranteed to open with it. So I feel like they are mainly just passive gains in that regard. If I played arcane more often I could see a lot of benefit out of it though.

As for the agrus parses, I let my Asian neighbor raid for me. Seriously though, as bad as it sounds I was able to be kept up until the end. I'm looking back through the logs and i remember one time the bonds went off, the other mage and I both blink out of the apocalypse zone and ice block, it kept growing and got us both when our block ran out lol. On another an orb got through and got me, and lastly the soulbomb blast killed me so I missed all of phase 2. That, and I suppose I had a greater overall familiarity with the encounter as well.

NH and some ToS- https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... ingzone=11
ToS- https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... ingzone=13

Admittedly, these logs are sub par, during NH it was my first time doing actual mythic content and was on a laptop lagging balls for the majority of Chrono, Spell Blade, and Bot. However, I do feel I have come a long way, especially with how well I feel I did during Argus and Aggramar progression, and am hoping to be able to show you that I can be a valued member of your raid team.

Edit: Website ate my first response, you weren't kidding about saving drafts xd

Return to “Applications”