Seddona - Balance Druid - Illidan

Want to join? Post your application here.

Moderator: Officer

Jordy

Seddona - Balance Druid - Illidan

Postby Jordy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:24 pm

1. Character name, Server

Seddona - Illidan

2. Class, Race, and Spec (and Artifact Level)

Druid, Troll, Balance (Just shy of 82) [Resto/Guardian (75)]

3. Link to an Armory profile, and an explanation of anything that may not be readily apparent from your Armory profile (alternate sets of gear, currently PvP-specced, etc.)

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... an/seddona

4. What are your usual playing hours? Are there days/times when you are consistently unavailable? Inform us of your daily work/school schedule, what time do you get home from work/school, and what time must you be in bed for the next day. Are you able to make our raid times in general? Is this availability going to change within the next few months, or with a change in Semester (if applicable)?

My usual playing hours are any day of the week and any time from 12PM - 2AM EST. There are not days nor times I'm consistently unavailable. I am a senior in college finishing my final semester online and schoolwork does not interfere with raid times as most of my classes are simply "submit this by such a day and time." I normally go to bed around 3AM EST, am able to make your raid times in general and I do not expect any change in schedule within the next few months.

5. Discuss your prior endgame raiding experience. Specify your experience with Heroic/Mythic in previous content as well as your experience in the current tier.

TBC: Karazhan, the first three bosses of TK, a few bosses in Black Temple and Hyjal.
Wrath: All heroic content cleared with the exception of H LK25. I cleared a lot of miscellaneous achievements such as Alone in the Dark, A Tribute to Insanity 25m, Herald of the Titans and He Feeds On Your Tears 25m.
Cataclysm: 9/13H the first tier, 5/7H in Firelands, and no experience in Dragon Soul.
MoP: Played mostly casual this expansion due to my high school workload
WoD: 7/7M Highmaul, 8/10M BRF, did not play in mythic HFC due to a transitioning period in college and my guild falling apart.
Legion:
Gul'dan - US 250
KJ - US 70~ (Wizards and Monkeys) Thrall
Coven - US 35~ (Obsidium) Thrall
Aggramar- US 46 (Obsidium) Thrall
Obsidium disbands after getting an Argus 20% wipe because the raid leader quit the game unexpectedly.

6. Why do you want to leave your current guild? Why do you want to join us? Specifically, what interests you in our band of merry idiots?

After Obsidium broke up I felt I was at a disadvantage because next to no guilds were recruiting for Argus progression back in January/February at the US 40-60 range. I joined Focus Up on Stormrage briefly, then bummed around on illidan mostly in a guild named Avid... The raid leader is a hothead to say the least and I don't see myself being there long term... https://clips.twitch.tv/FurryBoringDurianRickroll

7. Give us some info on your class knowledge and self performance analysis in this section:

7a. What resources and practices do you use to keep up with your class and maximizing your DPS/HPS/Surivability?

I used to read a lot of information online, but I am now learning best through various discord channels, twitch streams, PTR content, and youtube videos. Being able to actually have a conversation with other balance druids and watch another person work on the boss before I do is a huge advantage. I am a 1/2 and 1/2 hands-on and visual learner, so I dedicate most of my research time with watching others and associating with other top US boomkins in Gapezilla's, LorgokMethod, (and sometimes the Dreamgrove) discord.

7b. What fights in the current tier do you swap Talents and Legendaries to something different than the norm (if at all)? What do you swap and why? Feel free to list on a boss per boss basis.

A spec somewhat new that has grown in popularity throughout antorus is considered the "Dad" spec because it requires little effort and is relatively easy to play. This spec has replaced much of the normal single-target rotation and allows boomkins to walk freely during encounters because Starfall is always active. I prefer to use the traditional single-target spec and legendaries (IFE/OI) for Garothi, Imonar and Varimathras because there is not much movement and I'm able to time my 3min cooldowns well on them. Bosses that require a significant amount of movement such as Aggramar and Argus will always utilize the dad spec because it performs just as well (if not better) than IFE/OI and the movement is rewarding.

7c. How do you analyze your performance on a new fight and figure out how/what you can improve on next week? Don't just say you use logs and compare to others of your class - what specifically are you looking for when you have a good/bad parse?

On the Dad spec a general rule of thumb is to try and balance your starsurge/starfalls so that they are an equal number. For example, Nagura holds the #1 spot on Varimathras because she was able to get very close numbers of the two spells (which are unfortunately based off of RNG). I tend to pay attention to when I use cooldowns, my second pot as well as adds I paid too much attention to (or not enough)... For example, I'm ok with sacrificing single-target damage on Varimathras to pull 2-3 starsurges for adds because that is 90% of the fight.

8. Please include your character log report showcasing your performance on the relevant bosses of the tier. If your logs are private, please change your Warcraftlogs login and list the username/password here so we can access your logs. If you aren't comfortable listing it publicly, please PM it to Palin privately on these forums. Please remember to change your WCL login again a few days later after we've reviewed your application.

ToS: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... ingzone=13
ABT: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... an/seddona

9. Of the above logs, please do a quick analysis of what fights you did well on, what went wrong on certain fights, etc. Use this chance to explain any context behind good/bad logs.

An example of when I performed poorly can be found here at https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/X1 ... e&source=3
Going back to my example of trying to keep both starsurge and starfall balanced, I clearly favored one over the other and did not perform well as a result.

10. Can your PC handle WoW at high effects (Lust, Scorp Room, etc.)?
Yes

PC Specs:
Corsair Spec-Alpha - tower

i7 6700k - cpu

ASUS GTX 980ti oc - gpu

Corsair RM750i - psu

ASUS Z170 Pro/Aurora - mobo

850 evo 250gb - ssd

16gb Corsair Ripjaws PC4-27700 - ram

1TB WD HDD

H100iv2 Liquid Cooler

11. Please include a SS of your raiding UI. IF A KEYBINDING IS NOT SHOWN NO YOUR FRAME, PLEASE EXPLAIN AND list any relevant keybinds not shown in the screenshot. Make sure we can see everything that pops up in a raid, meaning take the SS in combat in LFR or something of the like so we can see your boss mods, timer positioning, WeakAuras, raid frames, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQL3cUu6jN0&t=196s

12. Tell us a bit about yourself. Age, gender, work/school, hobbies, etc. Add anything else you feel is pertinent.

I have been playing World of Warcraft a little over eleven years with ten of those years including raid experience. I am incredibly well-connected and resourceful player that utilizes an array of methods of obtaining information germane to my class and the rest of the raid team. I'm 21/M/PA (Pittsburgh) and outside of WoW I spend most of my time with family and friends doing non-strenuous activities such as laying on a pool float or playing with dogs.

13. Out-of-game contact information - Discord tag, Battle.net ID, etc. Some way we can contact you besides these forums.

Battle.net: Jordy#1619
Discord: Sedona#5771
Khramps

Re: Seddona - Balance Druid - Illidan

Postby Khramps » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:46 pm

Hi, Palin usually asks about some specific things your looking for when analyzing your play or what you think you could improve on going forward so I'll save him some typing and ask about those things I guess.

Have you had the chance to play the spec on beta at all? If so how do you feel about the spec going forward?
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:21 pm

Hi Sed, thanks for your interest with us and taking the time to apply. Appreciate the effort you put into this, we know apps are a pain.

A few questions about your background:

After Obsidium broke up I felt I was at a disadvantage because next to no guilds were recruiting for Argus progression back in January/February at the US 40-60 range. I joined Focus Up on Stormrage briefly, then bummed around on illidan mostly in a guild named Avid... The raid leader is a hothead to say the least and I don't see myself being there long term... https://clips.twitch.tv/FurryBoringDurianRickroll

The clip was funny. Can't say I haven't done that once, but probably only once.

Outside of looking for a more stable guild, what attracted you to our guild? What about us are you interested in that caused you to look at us and apply? Is Avid leadership aware you are leaving or looking to leave?

My usual playing hours are any day of the week and any time from 12PM - 2AM EST. There are not days nor times I'm consistently unavailable. I am a senior in college finishing my final semester online and schoolwork does not interfere with raid times as most of my classes are simply "submit this by such a day and time." I normally go to bed around 3AM EST, am able to make your raid times in general and I do not expect any change in schedule within the next few months.

In my experience the end of college can be a hectic time while job searching, interviewing, etc. Do you have plans post-graduation for employment already in place. If not it seems this would correspond right with when BFA prog would start, how would you handle that stressful life moment with full-time prog raiding at this level?

Thanks in advance.
Khramps

Postby Khramps » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:33 pm

Hadn't watched the clip until just now, that's a bit of ear rape for sure. I feel motivated to never break another chain at least.
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:36 pm

A few more questions:

• Do you have your logs available from with Obsidium? I don't see them listed in any of the guilds in your logs.
  • I see 3 other guilds in your logs, Anger, Incendiary Legion, and Plummit. What's caused you to bounce around so much since March? Looks like you've raided with 5 guilds total since March, is that correct?
  • Looking at your best Agrammar linked, your boss damage in P3 (all that matters really) is exceptionally low, while your Flame damage in Intermissions is really strong. Did your strat call for you to save CDs for Intermission adds?

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/vJ ... &target=35
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/vJ ... &target=61

Thanks in advance!
Jordy

Postby Jordy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:14 pm

Have you had the chance to play the spec on beta at all? If so how do you feel about the spec going forward?

I have! I've spent a lot of time on the beta actually and have gotten use to some of the changes going forward. Not having legendaries will be different... and I believe balance will see more of a monotonous rotation with Nature's Balance taking precedence over stellar drift. I am apprehensive toward what Soul of the Forest will be like because of the astral power change. I believe Balance will still be strong in AoE, but I don't have a clear enough picture of how single target is going to pan out yet.

Outside of looking for a more stable guild, what attracted you to our guild? What about us are you interested in that caused you to look at us and apply? Is Avid leadership aware you are leaving or looking to leave?

The statement "Our guild and leadership have been together for 12+ years and will continue to be together as long as WoW endgame raiding exists" caught my eye. I have been around the block enough times to realize *most* raiding guilds in WoW are a revolving door. I typically look for some type of experience and long-term commitment before I decide to apply to a guild. Obsidium was an incredibly strong guild that was around for a very long time, which is what initially drew me there. I thought I had found this in my most recent guild, Avid, but after being here for 2 months, I am dubious that is the case. I have left Avid as of Friday June 1st.

A few more questions:

Do you have your logs available from with Obsidium? I don't see them listed in any of the guilds in your logs.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... l/jordylol

This should have everything from time in Wizards and Monkeys as well as Obsidium. I'd like to clarify that I joined Obsidium at a very unusual time (8/11M) and the guild was experiencing some leadership/roster issues that caused me to come in and whenever they saw fit. One week I'd be in for a few bosses, the next maybe all of them. It was really arbitrary when and how I got time in there, but they did take me in because Balance Druids were particularly useful for progression on Coven and Aggramar.

I see 3 other guilds in your logs, Anger, Incendiary Legion, and Plummit. What's caused you to bounce around so much since March? Looks like you've raided with 5 guilds total since March, is that correct?

Anger was a guild I was in for a period of time in Warlords of Draenor. After Obsidium broke up I joined Focus Up on Stormrage with my best friend (who has since returned to his old guild). Focus Up was (and still may be) running a roster of 35+ and trials were purely there to put hot water under the feet of their core raiders. After figuring out that Focus Up was "Fast Forward," a former top US guild, I decided I was not looking to be a pawn of 35 other people for an uphill battle at the end of the expansion (they wanted us to gear an alt for mythic split raids). I knew Sharc (the current GM of Anger) from years back and told him what had happened and he was cool with me coming on board for the time being (I had just paid $60 to get myself over to Stormrage Alliance and I was still eager for a mythic argus kill, so I figured why not. Three or four weeks went by and they decided to move the guild to illidan-horde. Anger had picked up another exceptional balance druid during the time I was there and I did not particularly vibe with the guild. No hard feelings as I decided to trial for Plummit.

There really isn't much to say about my time in Plummit. They weren't friendly, they weren't welcoming, trials were treated like freshly recruited 18 year old boys in the military and the bulk of the core seemed to be a clique and overall.. toxic. I ended my trial after three or four weeks after letting the guild know I didn't feel I fit in there.

Incendiary Legion was a pug I did one week... I wasn't aware I had a log from that week actually lol.

Looking at your best Agrammar linked, your boss damage in P3 (all that matters really) is exceptionally low, while your Flame damage in Intermissions is really strong. Did your strat call for you to save CDs for Intermission adds?

You'll notice in my Obsidium logs as well that I specced and timed CD's particularly so that I could do as much damage as possible during the intermission phase. Out of all the groups I have been with each has had a different strat, different errors frequently made, and kiting/knockback strategy. Overall we had a particularly difficult time healing (and dealing with wake of flames) during intermission phases, so it was pretty crucial we do as much intermission damage as possible. I spent most of the time during fire add phases having the responsibility of knocking back adds and having little to no movement ability (this is why you'll see my Obsidium Aggramar logs are atrocious because I ran single target gear and talents). Avid was more focused on execution than damage dealing, which is why my P3 damage may seem strange. Prior to empowered flair they had everyone run to the back of the room (practically the bridge) and spread out from there. This and the RNG of red circles while having to knock things back can take time away from me getting an opportunity to pump a lot of damage during that phase.

In my experience the end of college can be a hectic time while job searching, interviewing, etc. Do you have plans post-graduation for employment already in place. If not it seems this would correspond right with when BFA prog would start, how would you handle that stressful life moment with full-time prog raiding at this level?

I am taking three to four classes (online) in the Fall. My college experience has been underwhelming in course rigor and I do quite well for the amount of time I put into it (3.8 GPA). You're correct in saying that would begin right around the time BFA launches, but I can assure you this does not affect playtime. I do not work or have plans to work in the near future. As of now I am loosely planning on attending the same university (Arizona State) online for graduate school and would continue there online for a 2-yr MBA program. I have known players attending law school while working that seem to make raiding viable, so when I compare myself to them I don't see why I can't not do it.
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:41 am

Hey Jordy, thanks for your patience as we deliberate. I know you've been checking my streams out from our raid this week and appreciate you keeping up.

After some review we're unfortunately going to pass on your application at this time. Your logs have steadily been improving but at the time we are being exceptionally picky with Trial spots, and have some overall reservations. Things can change quickly and if something opens up in the near future we'll be sure to let you know and see if you're still looking.

Thanks for your interest again and best of luck in your search for a new home. Take care.

Return to “Applications”