Braedan - Frost/Fire Mage

Want to join? Post your application here.

Moderator: Officer

Braedan

Braedan - Frost/Fire Mage

Postby Braedan » Tue May 01, 2018 11:47 pm

1. Character name, Server

Braedan - Magtheridon

2. Class, Race, and Spec (and Artifact Level)
Mage, Void Elf, Frost/Fire (75)
3. Link to an Armory profile, and an explanation of anything that may not be readily apparent from your Armory profile (alternate sets of gear, currently PvP-specced, etc.)

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... on/braedan

4. What are your usual playing hours? Are there days/times when you are consistently unavailable? Inform us of your daily work/school schedule, what time do you get home from work/school, and what time must you be in bed for the next day. Are you able to make our raid times in general? Is this availability going to change within the next few months, or with a change in Semester (if applicable)?

There is nothing that will prevent me from being at raid.

5. Discuss your prior endgame raiding experience. Specify your experience with Heroic/Mythic in previous content as well as your experience in the current tier.

My progression raiding history starts in ICC with <Pretty Pink Pwnies>. I was recruited from a smaller, casual raiding guild to join them and quickly became one of their best and most reliant raiders. I was asked to be a guild officer about halfway through ICC progression, and I held that position until pre-Cata raider burnout set in and PPP decided to stop trying to get 25H LK. From there I moved on to <Temerity> on Windrunner during the Cata pre-patch, and stayed there until just before they got 25H Rag in Firelands. I left because I was 25, had just moved to NYC and started a pretty intense job that prevented me from being able to commit to a progression raiding schedule. I played a Ret Pally the entirety of the time I was in those guilds. After that, I quit progression raiding for several years, but decided to get back into it for Legion.

During EN I switched from a Demon Hunter to a Mage when I couldn't find a guild that wanted a Havoc DH. I joined <Methodical> on Bleeding Hollow on my Mage for about a month before a friend of mine from Temerity recruited me to a two night a week guild called <Regen>. I have been with Regen from the end of EN up through their Argus kill. Although I don't hold a specific leadership position within the guild, I have done a significant amount of recruiting for them.

6. Why do you want to leave your current guild? Why do you want to join us? Specifically, what interests you in our band of merry idiots?

I don't think the guild has a good leadership core. People are content to bash their heads against a wall until they burst even if a strat is clearly not working (this happened on Argus and it prevented us from killing the boss at least a week earlier, if not two plus weeks earlier). I want to join a guild that seems to have it together in terms of how they work and how they deal with difficult bosses. Spike Flail seems like a guild that is trying to do well and not get too crazy about progression. That is really attractive to me.

7. Give us some info on your class knowledge and self performance analysis in this section:

Mages are pretty easy at this point in Legion. My biggest issue is not reacting fast enough to quick Fingers of Frost procs. Several times I could potentially use a FoF proc before I get a Brain Freeze proc, but it's occasionally too quick for me to react. I'm trying to get better at that reactive play to increase my dps.

7a. What resources and practices do you use to keep up with your class and maximizing your DPS/HPS/Surivability?

I use Icy Veins, Altered Time, and the Mage discord to keep up with my class. Our survivability is pretty straightforward - use barrier or Ice Block to live.

7b. What fights in the current tier do you swap Talents and Legendaries to something different than the norm (if at all)? What do you swap and why? Feel free to list on a boss per boss basis.

I have crappy t20 pieces (they're all 930) so on purely/mostly single target bosses I'll use the frost helm instead of the frost bracers in order to maximize dps (and, yes, I've simmed my gear and know that's the best setup I can put together on ST). As far as talents are concerned, on fights that are mostly ST I stick with Unstable Magic, and on fights that have a lot of cleave and/or AoE I use Arctic Gale. Frost doesn't change much outside of that for mythic (although I do use Ice Floes instead of Shimmer for Varimathras, but that's the one boss this xpack where that's the case).

7c. How do you analyze your performance on a new fight and figure out how/what you can improve on next week? Don't just say you use logs and compare to others of your class - what specifically are you looking for when you have a good/bad parse?

I work in analytics and my Cata guild is the same guild that Kihra (the guy who runs warcraftlogs.com) comes from. I am constantly analyzing my performance and trying to figure out what I can do better. I'm a super competitive person and if I am consistently dying or getting out damaged by someone I will research logs until I figure out why. I also stream most progression so I can go back and see what I actually did well or poorly and try to improve from there.

8. Please include your character log report showcasing your performance on the relevant bosses of the tier. If your logs are private, please change your Warcraftlogs login and list the username/password here so we can access your logs. If you aren't comfortable listing it publicly, please PM it to Palin privately on these forums. Please remember to change your WCL login again a few days later after we've reviewed your application.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/id/30162683 - my Antorus logs
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/id/20378260 - everything before Antorus

9. Of the above logs, please do a quick analysis of what fights you did well on, what went wrong on certain fights, etc. Use this chance to explain any context behind good/bad logs.

I sucked in EN - NH. I started as fire in Legion and then fire got a massive nerf. I switched to frost midway through NH and while I did better dps, I struggled keeping up with people who had stuck their class out and had decent legendaries. In ToS when things became a more even playing field I performed significantly better. I've been one of the best raiders in my guild in Antorus despite one of the guild officers being a mage who usually got my raid spot on progression (until Argus where he had to sit because he flat out couldn't perform as well as I could). I don't want to call out anything in particular on my logs, but I worked my ass off this xpack to improve. I feel like I've done that at this point, and I know how to play a mage inside and out.

10. Can your PC handle WoW at high effects (Lust, Scorp Room, etc.)?

I just built this PC. It handles PUBG without an issue on max settings. If it stuttered on WoW I'd start returning parts.

11. Please include a SS of your raiding UI. IF A KEYBINDING IS NOT SHOWN NO YOUR FRAME, PLEASE EXPLAIN AND list any relevant keybinds not shown in the screenshot. Make sure we can see everything that pops up in a raid, meaning take the SS in combat in LFR or something of the like so we can see your boss mods, timer positioning, WeakAuras, raid frames, etc.

I keybind everything aside from things I swap in and out or I don't want keybound for one reason or another (I have a cancelaura macro for prismatic reflection that isn't bound to any keys, for example). Here's my UI:

https://i.imgur.com/LcAiler.jpg

12. Tell us a bit about yourself. Age, gender, work/school, hobbies, etc. Add anything else you feel is pertinent.

I'm 32, male, and I live in NYC. I work in consulting, which is super fun because I get to tell people how horrible they are, and I used to work in the NHL front office. I still play hockey as much as I can, and, again, I'm still super competitive. I play a lot of other video games (Fornite, OW, Dota 2, LoL, HotS, SC2, etc.) so if you're ever looking for someone to play with I'm around

13. Out-of-game contact information - Discord tag, Battle.net ID, etc. Some way we can contact you besides these forums.

You can get in touch with me at Braedan#9946 on Discord or Braedan#1598 on Bnet.
Palin
The Professor

Re: Braedan - Frost/Fire Mage

Postby Palin » Wed May 02, 2018 12:53 am

Hi Braed, thanks for your interest with us and taking the time to apply. Appreciate your time.

Where in NYC do you live? I moved out of Brooklyn a few years back.

Looking at your logs you've clearly imported over your TOS days, what would you say you changed or do better from then and now?

What made you choose to play Frost on Argus over Fire? Likewise Fire on Agrammar over Frost? How come no Fire or Arcane attempts on an aoe fight like High Command? Just curious your mindset for going into each boss and what spec you choose to play.

Thanks in advance!

Return to “Applications”