Atticusw - Protection Warrior

Want to join? Post your application here.

Moderator: Officer

Atticusw

Atticusw - Protection Warrior

Postby Atticusw » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:09 pm

1. Character name, Server
Atticusw, Zul'jin

2. Class, Race, and Spec (and Artifact Level)
Warrior, Tauren master race (HM come BFA), Protection (80 points).

3. Link to an Armory profile, and an explanation of anything that may not be readily apparent from your Armory profile (alternate sets of gear, currently PvP-specced, etc.)
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... n/atticusw

4. What are your usual playing hours? Are there days/times when you are consistently unavailable? Inform us of your daily work/school schedule, what time do you get home from work/school, and what time must you be in bed for the next day. Are you able to make our raid times in general? Is this availability going to change within the next few months, or with a change in Semester (if applicable)?
I play at various points throughout the day. Currently I'm only working part time as I finish my master's thesis, which means I have large gaps of malleable play and work time. I'm available mostly during the afternoon/evening/night. I usually go to sleep before 1 AM because I am 30 and being old sucks ass. Having said that, your raid times should be more than easy to make for me. I do not foresee this changing in the next few months, however, come August, I will be in Florida visiting my girlfriend, although that should not significantly impact my grind time since she is very understanding about my manchild habit and fully supports it. I am currently in the market for a full time job, but again, that would be during the day/afternoon/early evening and raid times would not be affected.

5. Discuss your prior endgame raiding experience. Specify your experience with Heroic/Mythic in previous content as well as your experience in the current tier.
I've been playing World of Warcraft for 15 years now. Raiding for me has always meant tanking, and my main since vanilla has been protection warrior. Rather than go through the entirety of my raiding history, which includes 1 Naxx wing cleared, BT up to Illidan, I'll keep it relatively recent. At the end of WoD, I began raiding with a guild called Exiled, which consisted of US top 10 raiders, somewhat informally as I was just filling in for an inconsistent tank. Come Legion I was formally recruited as a tank and managed to score 7/7M CE and 10/10M CE in EN and NH respectively. After NH, however, many of our most talented players began to burn out and took breaks or outright quit, which lead to an unfortunate performance dip all throughout ToS despite a strong start (we were among the first guilds to achieve 5/11M in Zul'jin, which was a great achievement for a 2 night a week, 6hr guild). We got 6/11M, I missed the kill despite all the work I put into progging that fight (over 2 months) due to having to take a flight. Shortly thereafter, I decided it was time to step back from raiding. Most of my friends had quit and the guild was seriously underperforming, not to mention a major hurricane had destroyed a great part of my crummy little island. When ABT released, I thought I'd give it another shot. Now raiding with a roster of mostly relatively novice strangers, we cleared up to 5/11M before the gaps in ability were evident and I decided to step away from raiding for the rest of the expac. The guild atmosphere had become too toxic and spiteful, and I'm normally a very calm, cool and collected dude that hates unnecessary confrontation. Before actually deciding to taper off permanently, I joined a reformed Vigil, a major guild in WoW's history, one of the first guilds to kill LK 25 that still retained most of its original players, only on a much more slowed down setting. After a night of raiding with them I realized the bad experiences had just left me too burnt out, so that was that.

6. Why do you want to leave your current guild? Why do you want to join us? Specifically, what interests you in our band of merry idiots?
I'm looking for a new foreverhome with good players that love the game and love progressing without wasting each other's time. I made great friends in Vigil, but I feel that they are perhaps not the best fit for me. Your guild seems extremely competent and I want to contribute to that.

7. Give us some info on your class knowledge and self performance analysis in this section:

7a. What resources and practices do you use to keep up with your class and maximizing your DPS/HPS/Surivability?
I use class discords and keep up with logs from some of the best players for my class/spec. As a prot warr, that means (or used to in some of these cases RIP to the memers that went bear/BDK) Thyme, Marok, Sense, Clutch (rip fam), and some chinese dudes whose names I can't pronounce because I don't speak moonrunes.

7b. What fights in the current tier do you swap Talents and Legendaries to something different than the norm (if at all)? What do you swap and why? Feel free to list on a boss per boss basis.
I mostly rolled with the same talents throughout 5/11M, and honestly there's little in terms of necessary variety for prot warrior since our talent layout is so lackluster. I would switch up legendaries on Varimathras, however, just to go pants/gloves since self-heal is not as crucial as you spend 60% of that fight not being able to heal, all you have to prepare for is a nuke every couple of seconds. The pants help because you get an extra stack of spell reflect. For argus I would apply the same logic since you get an extra stack of shield block, and rather than going gloves, I would take bracers. Everywhere else I'd roll gloves/wrists for the moderate damage/rage increase and healing.

7c. How do you analyze your performance on a new fight and figure out how/what you can improve on next week? Don't just say you use logs and compare to others of your class - what specifically are you looking for when you have a good/bad parse?
I always look at logs. Specifically damage taken, sources, my uptime on certain abilities (sblock/IP) vs when I have the boss and when that boss is casting certain abilities I need to be ready for, and looking at other tanks' logs to see if there's any sort of cheese that involves special trinket or talent use. When dying prematurely, I look at the timeline leading up to the death, whether I had enough heals, whether I didn't have a certain AM up, whether I was dumping rage like an idiot or mindlessly spammed sblock, etc.

8. Please include your character log report showcasing your performance on the relevant bosses of the tier. If your logs are private, please change your Warcraftlogs login and list the username/password here so we can access your logs. If you aren't comfortable listing it publicly, please PM it to Palin privately on these forums. Please remember to change your WCL login again a few days later after we've reviewed your application.
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... ingzone=11
The above logs may not be fully representative of my talent as a raider. Vigil purged many of their old logs for some reason and Entity, previously Full Tilt, previously Uneventful, previously Exiled, made their logs private and open only to confirmed members. I also quit raiding in January, which means that my stats are locked that particular crystallized moment in time. Please be lenient when judging them against current logs.

9. Of the above logs, please do a quick analysis of what fights you did well on, what went wrong on certain fights, etc. Use this chance to explain any context behind good/bad logs.
My pride and joy was usually AHC since I was essentially invulnerable for the entirety of my uptime on the boss. Shield block was ridiculously strong against the debuff and the boss' regular melees, and spell reflect mitigated absent minded mine pops. I always took less damage than my co-tank with comparable uptime because my mitigation management is almost always on point.

10. Can your PC handle WoW at high effects (Lust, Scorp Room, etc.)?
Yes.

11. Please include a SS of your raiding UI. IF A KEYBINDING IS NOT SHOWN NO YOUR FRAME, PLEASE EXPLAIN AND list any relevant keybinds not shown in the screenshot. Make sure we can see everything that pops up in a raid, meaning take the SS in combat in LFR or something of the like so we can see your boss mods, timer positioning, WeakAuras, raid frames, etc.
Here is an image I took in LFR on the 28th of april.

12. Tell us a bit about yourself. Age, gender, work/school, hobbies, etc. Add anything else you feel is pertinent.
I'm a 30 year old dude who can't quite decide whether he fits the pretense of the age. I'm wrapping up my master's in History. I love reading, playing pokemon go with my girlfriend, writing to a lesser extent, and finding new places to eat delicious food, preferably turkish or thai. I have three dogs, one of which is a satanic Dachshund who will not stop peeing on everything even after being castrated. I read Nick Land unironically.

13. Out-of-game contact information - Discord tag, Battle.net ID, etc. Some way we can contact you besides these forums.
Discord: Atticusw#2219
Bnet: Atticusw#1578
Email: spurenderwarheit@gmail.com
Faldain

Re: Atticusw - Protection Warrior

Postby Faldain » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:12 pm

Thanks for the application Atticus, someone who knows more about prot will be around soon to ask you questions.
Faldain

"Till Shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day." ~ Robert Jordan
Strixir

Postby Strixir » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:28 pm

Hello Atticus,
I'm a little rusty on prot warrior TC as I haven't played it at a mythic level since the end of ToS, but I was fairly up to date on that and afaik the prot warrior meta hasn't really changed. Aggramar on Mythic hits extremely hard especially if you're taking the first foe breaker when you still have a few stacks of Taeshalach's Reach on you. What legendaries/trinkets would you consider using, why, and how would you manage your CD's so that you make sure you don't bite the dust taking a Foe Breaker, or while the other Main Tank is tanking and you still have ~10 stacks of Reach debuffs on you. Ideally when would you using Nelth's Fury, how liberally would you try to use Last Stand, Wall, Demo Shout, etc. With AM and having access to various legos that can reduce Wall or Demo Shout, I'd like to see how you would ideally plan out your defensive CD rotations maybe even in conjunction with healer externals assuming that your co-tank is not using any, and the healers are holding them for you, so you don't just fall over, especially as a class without access to a cheat death mechanic like a DH or DK.

For Argus, you discussed briefly what legos you'd potentially use. Could you elaborate a bit more on that, as well as what trinkets you'd ideally use? The 2 main tanks on Argus need to consistently be able to live 4 scythes in P3, and die to the 5th scythe. If you die prematurely, that can create a lot of issues with the tank swaps down the line. What would be your CD usages in P3? I'm looking for something similar to what I had requested for Aggramar.

Finally, I'm looking on your UI SS, what's your healthstone/hp pot bound to and how are you tracking the CD/availability of it?
Thanks for taking the time to app and looking forward to your answers. Take care!
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:56 pm

Hi Atticus, not sure if you're still checking this. After some review we've decided to unfortunately pass on your application. Thanks for your interest and best of luck in your search for a new home for BFA.

Return to “Applications”