Shnubbles - Windwalker Monk

Want to join? Post your application here.

Moderator: Officer

Anklespankin

Shnubbles - Windwalker Monk

Postby Anklespankin » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:49 am

1. Character name, Server
Shnubbles, Mal'ganis

2. Class, Race, and Spec (and Artifact Level)
Monk, Blood Elf, Windwalker, Artifact level 79

3. Link to an Armory profile, and an explanation of anything that may not be readily apparent from your Armory profile (alternate sets of gear, currently PvP-specced, etc.)
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... /shnubbles

4. What are your usual playing hours? Are there days/times when you are consistently unavailable? Inform us of your daily work/school schedule, what time do you get home from work/school, and what time must you be in bed for the next day. Are you able to make our raid times in general? Is this availability going to change within the next few months, or with a change in Semester (if applicable)?
I'm self-employed now so my hours are always flexible and changing based on when I want to play and work. Unless some sort of emergency happens or something unexpected comes up, I will always be able to attend raid times.

5. Discuss your prior endgame raiding experience. Specify your experience with Heroic/Mythic in previous content as well as your experience in the current tier.
Most of my end game experience comes from ICC and Cataclysm. I raided through heroic ICC with a 10 man group of friends, went into Cata and got through heroic BWD, ToT4W, Bastion, had to stop during Firelands for school, and then came back
in Dragon Soul until the wall that was heroic Spine where my guild fell apart and I took up casually raid leading then. I wasn't interested in WoW during mists so unfortunately I only play a bit of mogu'shan and that was it. Came back during WoD
and go through mythic Highmaul and a lot of BRF until relationship problems came up and I had to quit my guild because we couldn't stand being around each other and she didn't want to leave that guild. Played casually the rest of the expansion
while I focused on my job. Came into Legion very excited, flew through Emerald Nightmare until guild fell apart from officers not wanting to play the game, continued to play casually and go through heroic for the rest of EN and Nighthold.
Applied for guild during ToS, cleared mythic ToS and now up to 9/11 mythic in ATBT.

6. Why do you want to leave your current guild? Why do you want to join us? Specifically, what interests you in our band of merry idiots?
I don't want to speak poorly of anyone so it can be chalked up to questionable leadership and levels of respect. I would like to join Spike Flail due to what seem like a fun and friendly atmosphere, the raid times are much better on my sleeping
schedule, and I feel like I'd fit in wonderfully with merry idiots.

7. Give us some info on your class knowledge and self performance analysis in this section:

7a. What resources and practices do you use to keep up with your class and maximizing your DPS/HPS/Surivability?
Warcraftlogs, http://www.peakofserenity.com/ , and the monk discord. Always go through logs, read about any changes with the class, and ask questions to the theorycrafters in the discord. Other than that, I tend to sort out of my own strategy
on a fight-to-fight basis after I've done a few pulls so I can figure out how to get the most out of my character on each encounter.

7b. What fights in the current tier do you swap Talents and Legendaries to something different than the norm (if at all)? What do you swap and why? Feel free to list on a boss per boss basis.
Almost none. On High Command, my guild needed more AoE damage so I swapped out Emperor's Capacitor for DHC (wrists). On Eonar I would do the same swap, and also talent into Chi Orbit for much more passive damage while I stack spinning crane
kick. Other than that, everything else is the same setup.

7c. How do you analyze your performance on a new fight and figure out how/what you can improve on next week? Don't just say you use logs and compare to others of your class - what specifically are you looking for when you have a good/bad parse?
wowanalyzer is a fun resource, I watch streams of other players or watch my own recordings to see what I do wrong. If I can't see my errors, I do delve into logs to look more closely, or look at other players to see what they're doing right.
When I have a good or bad parse, usually it's very clear where the issues were, but when it's not. Always check procs, CD timings, positioning, gear difference, stat difference, dps stops, overall guild performance. Other than that, just come in
next time ready to rock it.

8. Please include your character log report showcasing your performance on the relevant bosses of the tier. If your logs are private, please change your Warcraftlogs login and list the username/password here so we can access your logs. If you aren't comfortable listing it publicly, please PM it to Palin privately on these forums. Please remember to change your WCL login again a few days later after we've reviewed your application.
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... /shnubbles

9. Of the above logs, please do a quick analysis of what fights you did well on, what went wrong on certain fights, etc. Use this chance to explain any context behind good/bad logs.
Garothi - beasted it
Hounds - beast it other than not being able to hit puppo when placing fires
High Command - beast it by switching to AoE legendaries and hitting my dizzy kick button a bunch.
Eonar - see high command strat.
Portal Keeper - Hard to parse when I'm always in the portal groups, less time to pad adds for numbers to jerk off to.
Imonar - beast it.
Kin'garoth - Monk wet dream, CD's always line up perfectly for adds.
Varimathras - Very easy to passively cleave so not much thought other than doing the basic mechanics and hitting hoofman.
Coven - Sacrificed damage in many cases to be sure I wouldn't die. Melee life sucks on Coven.
I would like to also note that I didn't get my 4-set for a little while so my average parses were maintaining more around 70s until that point. the 4 set boosted me up a ton instantly.

10. Can your PC handle WoW at high effects (Lust, Scorp Room, etc.)?
Damn well better be able to after spending 3k on it.

11. Please include a SS of your raiding UI. IF A KEYBINDING IS NOT SHOWN NO YOUR FRAME, PLEASE EXPLAIN AND list any relevant keybinds not shown in the screenshot. Make sure we can see everything that pops up in a raid, meaning take the SS in combat in LFR or something of the like so we can see your boss mods, timer positioning, WeakAuras, raid frames, etc.
https://gyazo.com/a840bac221c01f8c6c9a090fa7156da9 On the left are my 2 weakauras, one for hitcombo (big one) and the other for legendary chest stacks. Everything else should be visible.

12. Tell us a bit about yourself. Age, gender, work/school, hobbies, etc. Add anything else you feel is pertinent.
I'm 22 years old, male, YouTuber (League of Legends player primarily, hoping to branch out soon..), play games and workout are my hobbies. I spend most of my free time working on my youtube channel, I see WoW and raiding as a fun pastime
and a way to interact with new friends. It's a good break from online life. Even though I am a YouTuber and do VERY highly value my job, it does not get in the way of my raiding time. Always plan accordingly.

13. Out-of-game contact information - Discord tag, Battle.net ID, etc. Some way we can contact you besides these forums.
Best way to contact me is through Battle.net, Shnubbles#1186
Palin
The Professor

Re: Shnubbles - Windwalker Monk

Postby Palin » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:59 am

Hey Shnub, thanks for your interest with us and taking the time to apply. We appreciate the time you took detailing what we asked.

Your biggest challenge would be coming in and doing the last 2 bosses you haven't pulled yet, when we all have 10+ kills under our belt and hundreds of pulls. While obviously face time is needed, at this point in farm we're also looking for Trials who can pick things up quickly and not cause us wipes while learning. How would you approach overpreparing for these 2 fights? What have you seen from your research on top WW logs that would make you successful on this fight in regards to CD management, etc.?

Thanks!
Anklespankin

Postby Anklespankin » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:27 pm

Most of my preparation will come from watching the videos posted by the guild so I can see your strategies and prepare for them specifically, other than that I was only looking at the windwalker logs to see what they were using their karma for, what targets they would ToD, when they were using storm earth and fire charges, and what targets took priority at each point in the fights. They seem relatively straightforward, just a matter of execution. If there are things that I do not understand before going into the fight, I'm not the type of player that will shy away from asking. I do not want to cause a wipe simply because I overlooked or didn't understand something on my own.
Vitre

Postby Vitre » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:04 pm

Hey Shnubbles,

Since your logs aren't super recent I'd like to pick your brain on a couple WW theorycrafting details. Can you explain how a BoK! on your first TP affects your opener? Also, thoughts on CW/Roll vs FSK on opener, and optimal timing to use your CJL stacks?

Thanks!
Anklespankin

Postby Anklespankin » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:33 pm

If I get a proc on my first TP then I immediately SEF and use the proc, SotW, BoK again, RSK, EE + FoF, WDP, and proceed with normal priority rotation from there. It's all about just making sure you use the proc before using TP or SotW again, and trying to not waste as much chi/energy as possible. Ideally for the second charge of SeF, I wait until I have less than 15 seconds of SotW left and use it whenever I get my next BoK! proc to ensure that I get at least 2 BoK! during the SEF damage increase.

As far as my thought son CW/roll vs a FSK on opener, I always do chi wave and FSK because of hit combo, any stack I can get faster will aid damage throughout the opener. I don't really see any reason to not use FSK unless there's something special that I need that specific ability for (can't think of anything that I couldn't just use roll/tigers lust for)

For CJL stacks, there are a few factors to consider when using them. Obviously it's bad to keep getting more stacks after you hit 20, but sometimes a mechanic will let you do more damage by waiting. For example, if I'm at 20 stacks a few second before the storm happens on coven, I will delay my CJL until I'm no longer in melee range so I can keep doing damage while I'm safe. Other factors are any time I'll have an open window, or if I'm chi/energy starved. If SotW, RSK, FoF, and WDP are all on cooldown, I have 16+ CJL stacks, and I won't cap on energy while I'm channeling it, then that's when to use it.
Vitre

Postby Vitre » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:36 pm

As a blood elf, you can use your racial to do the following opener on a first TP BoK! proc:
TP --> ToD+AT --> SEF+RSK--> BoK --> SotW --> EE+FoF --> BoK

Regarding the CW and FSK, the hit combo generated by them resets if you use it before entering combat. The ideal opener is cw the boss as close to 0 on pull timer as possible, since if you cw before entering combat in a raid, it will guarantee a concordance proc. Then you'd roll since it's not on gcd, and TP instantly when the CW gcd is over.

You should be trying to get your CJL inside SEF as much as possible, and avoid using it after WDP or roll/FSK, since those abilities can bug the clones into not copying it. It's worth CJLing inside SEF even if you aren't maxed on stacks, as will almost always happen in your second SEF.
Anklespankin

Postby Anklespankin » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:07 am

I'd never actually heard the chi wave opener interaction before, that's really neat.

I always used my racial for chi after my opener was done, not sure why it never clicked in my head to utilize it in a proc'd opener. And as far as the CJL inside SEF, I usually do try to get it in during that window, though I do find I prioritize BoK! over it. Probably better to go with the safer guaranteed damage that CJL would provide.

Return to “Applications”