Bradymage - Frost Mage

Want to join? Post your application here.

Moderator: Officer

Bradykin

Bradymage - Frost Mage

Postby Bradykin » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:22 pm

1. Character name, Server
Bradymage, Mal'ganis

2. Class, Race, and Spec (and Artifact Level)
Mage, Blood Elf, Frost, 75 (75 in Fire also)

3. Link to an Armory profile, and an explanation of anything that may not be readily apparent from your Armory profile (alternate sets of gear, currently PvP-specced, etc.)
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... /bradymage
For whatever reason, the secondary and primary stat values it is displaying on my character are just inaccurate. I'll list them here so you know:

Intellect: 76,553
Stamina: 108,551
Critical Strike: 31.13% (10,053)
Haste: 26.83% (10,063)
Mastery: 45.17% (4,830)
Versatility: 18.62% (8,844)

4. What are your usual playing hours? Are there days/times when you are consistently unavailable? Inform us of your daily work/school schedule, what time do you get home from work/school, and what time must you be in bed for the next day. Are you able to make our raid times in general? Is this availability going to change within the next few months, or with a change in Semester (if applicable)?
I play mostly in the late afternoon/evenings, and during the day on saturday or sunday. I'm going into a summer job that will be a 9-5 affair over the summer. I don't know my schedule for school next term yet, but I will be able to choose it in such a way not to mess with raid times, except of course during exams where I can't control if I have a night exam scheduled.

5. Discuss your prior endgame raiding experience. Specify your experience with Heroic/Mythic in previous content as well as your experience in the current tier.
In this expansion, I am currently 9/11 M, with a couple close Aggramar pulls. I didn't play TOS or Nighthold, as I was going through the hard part of my degree (which is now over), and my guild had recently collapsed due to external factors, so I opted to take a break. I played to 7/7 M in Emerald nightmare.

I haven't had a consistent raid schedule before Legion as I was still living at home and not in complete control over my schedule, which thankfully is long over now. I raided on and off since Cataclysm, getting to 7/13 H in the first tier of Cata, 6/7 H in the second (and so, so close to killing Rag), and 6/7 M in Highmaul as some of the tiers I played.

6. Why do you want to leave your current guild? Why do you want to join us? Specifically, what interests you in our band of merry idiots?
I've been in communication with Palin for a couple months, as I was very interested in your guild. I had decided to join another guild to build up experience and gear before apping to you because I didn't want to be a "returning player" thing. So this was always my intention. I am going to leave this guild regardless though, as they've failed to fire about 40% of raids since I joined due to lack of attendance, and literally every single raid they've run has started late, which is not acceptable to me.

7. Give us some info on your class knowledge and self performance analysis in this section:

7a. What resources and practices do you use to keep up with your class and maximizing your DPS/HPS/Surivability?
I follow the altered-time discord and website mostly for mage source, though if i'm being honest I don't think the resources for mage are very good at the moment. I tend to rely on my own numerical analysis a fair amount - using warcraftlog and tweaking thhe priorities to test my own ideas. I follow numerous sources for fight/kill videos, including FatBoss and Method's guides as my primary sources, to learn how to not die during bosses. I like to watch several to get a good picture of the fight, as just one is never all-encompasing.

7b. What fights in the current tier do you swap Talents and Legendaries to something different than the norm (if at all)? What do you swap and why? Feel free to list on a boss per boss basis.
I currently use Magtheridon's Bracers and Shard of the Exodar on every boss, as they have shown to be the strongest generally to me so far. The following is my talents per boss, using a 0-1-2 numbering for each tier for simplification, so 0000000 would be using all of the left side talents:

Garothi:
1022010 - Garothi is a pretty typical single target boss, and this is the default talents for that.

Felhounds of Sargeras:
1022010 - Felhounds is again mostly single target. I've tried using Arctic Gale over Unstable Magic for the early cleave portion but determined it wasn't worth it.

Antoran High Command:
1022020 - Similar to previous two, except it is worth using Arctic Gale on this boss as there are numerous opportunities to use it for cleave.

Portal Keeper Hasabel:
1022010 - This boss is mostly single target, so I'm using that.

Eonar:
1022020 - These talents are fairly self-explanatory.

Imonar the Soulbinder:
1022010 - Single target boss, single target talents.

Kin'garoth:
1022010 - Same as above

Varimathras:
1122010 - This is the only fight where I currently opt for Ice Floes over Shimmer, as Ice floes is very useful and you simply aren't allowed to use blinks on this boss. Otherwise it uses the typical single target setup.

Coven of Shivarra:
1022110 - Single target talents, except I swap to Ring of Frost to assist in CC adds.

Aggramar:
1021010 - Single target talents, except I have to swap from Splitting Ice to Frozen Touch so I don't accidently kill the adds. I know some strats have the mages using Ring of Frost on this boss - I have been instructed to use Frigid Winds as I was told to blizzard the adds that spawn from flares in phase 3 until they reach the rest of the pile. A warlock is using the corruption slow to keep them CC'd from there.

Argus:
1022010 - As I haven't done Mythic Argus, these are my Heroic Argus talents, and what I assume I would continue to use in Mythic, unless there is a reason I am unaware of not to. A brief glance at Mythic Argus kills from frost mages has a decent split between this talent setup and using Arctic Gale instead of Unstable Magic.

7c. How do you analyze your performance on a new fight and figure out how/what you can improve on next week? Don't just say you use logs and compare to others of your class - what specifically are you looking for when you have a good/bad parse?

Bad parses: I look for a few different variables. One would be an statistical outlier in proc rates - Frost is very proc-dependant, and it does happen sometimes. Usually this is not the issue, but I check if it is so i know i'm not chasing a ghost. I check to see if there is a legitimate reason to have a low parse - if i'm correctly focusing on a mechanic that makes me more useful but deal less raw dps. More on that in the log section. Then, I look to see if I ever messed up with targeting to waste time hitting a near-invulnerable target - this is basically never the case, but if I somehow spent a full transition on Aggramar hitting the boss, that would explain the parse. After this, I look for real mistakes, and most commonly it would be losing a lot of casting time to movement or cancelling casts due to movement. This would mean that I likely did something wrong in positioning and need to improve upon that. This problem could also manifest if I got hit by a mechanic and needed to sit in an ice block for a while or I actually died, which I will note if that happened. If I haven't found the problem yet, I'll just keep scanning, and if I can't figure it out I'll ask someone to look at the log for me and see if they can, but I've usually figured out what went wrong at this point.

Good parses: Generally speaking you already know what went right when you have a good parse. I take a look at them, and it's usually just a scenario of having good procs and not losing a lot of time to movement.

8. Please include your character log report showcasing your performance on the relevant bosses of the tier. If your logs are private, please change your Warcraftlogs login and list the username/password here so we can access your logs. If you aren't comfortable listing it publicly, please PM it to Palin privately on these forums. Please remember to change your WCL login again a few days later after we've reviewed your application.
Recent Aggramar Progression: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/TZjRYpqD7kGJ3n6A
Latest 9/11 Clear: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Yp7PcCNwnrZ3am28

9. Of the above logs, please do a quick analysis of what fights you did well on, what went wrong on certain fights, etc. Use this chance to explain any context behind good/bad logs.
For the 9/11 Clear, I had a couple messups for sure. I also would like to encourage you to look at the damage dealt to various targets - especially during trash clear, I really don't care about parsing, I care about doing the fight clean.

For example on Antoran High Command my overall DPS wasn't great, but that's because I was doing everything possible to focus down the Screaming Shrikes as they are one of the only things that can go wrong on that boss. I skipped various cleave opportunities to hit the bats, and try to save procs for them to an extent. I do the same for the Shadows of Varimathras on Varimathras. Boss damage simply does not matter on this boss anymore, bursting the add does, and the guild was having a consistent problem with them. So I started saving all procs roughly 6 seconds before an add spawns to use on it, butchering my boss DPS to make sure the job was getting done.

Deaths on the kills explained:
I died to Consuming Obliteration on Felhounds by being greedy with positioning - no context, just a mistake.
As far as I can tell from logs and from what I can remember, my death on Kin'garoth was to the healers being overwhelmed and not outputting enough to offset the raid damage right at the end.

10. Can your PC handle WoW at high effects (Lust, Scorp Room, etc.)?
Yes. My computer is an ASUS ROG Zephyrus, and it handles WoW just fine. If you want specific specs here's the add for the computer from amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/Zephyrus-Full-HD- ... B071XDXLPG I assure you that the computer is strong enough though.

11. Please include a SS of your raiding UI. IF A KEYBINDING IS NOT SHOWN NO YOUR FRAME, PLEASE EXPLAIN AND list any relevant keybinds not shown in the screenshot. Make sure we can see everything that pops up in a raid, meaning take the SS in combat in LFR or something of the like so we can see your boss mods, timer positioning, WeakAuras, raid frames, etc.
https://imgur.com/a/2rH9k

12. Tell us a bit about yourself. Age, gender, work/school, hobbies, etc. Add anything else you feel is pertinent.
I'm 22, male, finishing my 4th of a 5 year degree in Computer Science - Game Development. My hobbies are probably self-evident from that: I'm a quiet stereotypical nerd who games, reads, and makes his own video games. Currently working on the first one I intend to publish, an RTS that will be a hybrid of Age of Empires 3 and Warcraft 3.

13. Out-of-game contact information - Discord tag, Battle.net ID, etc. Some way we can contact you besides these forums.
Discord Tag: Bradykin#3094
Battle.net ID: Bradykin#1248
Second Battle.net ID (just in case): Bradykin#1505
Palin
The Professor

Re: Bradymage - Frost Mage

Postby Palin » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:05 am

Hey Brady, thanks for your detailed application and putting so much work into it, we really appreciate it and you did a great job breaking down your play per boss.

We've been talking for a few months now and I appreciate how dedicated you are to trying to join with us. You've put a lot of work into your Mage and it shows. However at this time the level of performance/mastery of class just isn't at the level we need yet for justifying a Trial. Our roster is in a good spot and we're looking for exceptional damage from our DPS apps. Whether its just being new to the class or only having 2-3 kills on each boss, your logs aren't at the level we need to justify a roster spot. In addition we look for pure DPS to be able to play multiple specs to be the best they can on any fight, and again due to how fresh you are to the class, the ability to only really play Frost isn't the flexibility we need right now in our DPS Trials.

I'd encourage you to keep working on your game and mastering the class, and potentially applying again before BFA with higher consistent numbers and/or in BFA when things are a bit more even...or you've mastered a new class/spec and can contribute more on the level the rest of your peers here would be. Sorry for the unfortunate outcome after all your hard work - best of luck with the rest of Antorus!

Return to “Applications”