Strebla - Shadow Priest

Want to join? Post your application here.

Moderator: Officer

Strebla

Strebla - Shadow Priest

Postby Strebla » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:09 pm

1. Strebla – Bleeding Hollow
2. Goblin Priest, Shadow Main spec (Shadow Artifact Weapon 83, Disc and Holy are 75)

3. Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... ow/strebla
- I have a heavy Crit, low Haste set that I will wear sometimes as well, swapping out neck, chest, and shoulders

4. Schedule.
I play most often after 7pm CST during the week. I stay up too late and play the game late into the night usually. Friday and Saturdays I’m not on much unless it’s playing late at night or early into the AM.
Spike Flail's raid times are ideal, as I am always free on Sunday nights and the weekday times line up with me having enough time to hit the gym after work, eat, and then raid. I work from home every now and then too. My schedule is pretty flexible and I take pride in having as close to perfect attendance as possible, so I can usually make time to play if I have to be on for something important.

5. Discuss your prior endgame raiding experience. Specify your experience with Heroic/Mythic in previous content as well as your experience in the current tier.

I’ve raided progression as Shadow Priest since Vanilla. My only break came when I joined the Army and had to leave for a while near the end of ICC. I came back for DS and have been raiding progression ever since that.
- BC I raided with a bunch of RL friends, eventually dissolving after Sunwell. We were top Horde at the time on Sargeras (The Turks).
- TFT I raided with Simple Math, top Horde guild on Andorhol at the time. They were 4 day raiding so the progression push was pretty fun as I had a lot of free time to play.
- Since MOP I’ve been with Addiction, having joined them early on in ToT, over 5 years ago. We improved ranks most every tier, and finished US 30th on Argus.

I’ve experienced the highs and the lows of raiding as Shadow. Mana battery, DS beast, STM god, Council champ, single target chumps, you name it I’ve experienced it. I’m looking forward to some more changes for BFA as tier 21 has been okay but definitely not my favorite. I’ll be the first one to tell you that I didn’t adapt to the t21 playstyle fast enough and some of my numbers reflect that.
Legion has been the most fun but also the most demoralizing expansion for me. I grinded my ass off in terms of AP and M+ to get the right legendaries. I actually had fun doing all the dungeons, pushing keys, and such but I don’t think my wife approved lol. I missed next to no raids, and sucked it up through all the crap that happened in Addiction so for that I’d say this expac has been a success for me.

6. Why do you want to leave your current guild?
I want to raid 1 less day during the work week, but still be in a 3 day raiding guild, this will allow me to be a husband more often when my wife is home. On top of that, the environment has grown to be not as fun anymore in Addiction, and after 5 years in Addiction I can say I did my best and it’s time to move on to a new chapter in my WoW playing days.
Spike Flail has been around for a long time which appeals to me. Leaving my current guild feels like taking a giant leap as I have been here so long and don't want to join an inferior team. I have a lot of respect for Palin in that he has been able to raid lead for over a decade and maintain a solid raid team, and feel like this team has a lot of potential moving forward. I would also like to get the opportunity to raid progression Demonology one day, and to also fix Palin’s UI, especially on fights such as Aggramar...

7. Give us some info on your class knowledge and self performance analysis in this section:
7a. What resources and practices do you use to keep up with your class and maximizing your DPS/HPS/Surivability?
- For the DPS, I’m a patreon on raidbots and am always simming my characters and messing around with gear. For advanced DPS improvement I watch SP POV kill videos and streams to pickup techniques they may be doing that I am not. I also spend a lot of time looking through logs, comparing other players that have similar kill For the record I have beat on my target dummies this expansion than ever before to improve my play, thanks to STM playstyle and the rotation goal of a Shadow Priest to hit 55+ stacks on every Void Form.
- For Survivability I try and healthstone/pot before using my Dispersion, but am not afraid to use it should something bad be coming. I also talk to a lot of the H2P admin and players in Discord during progression to pick up on things that may be working for them.

7b. What fights in the current tier do you swap Talents and Legendaries to something different than the norm (if at all)? What do you swap and why? Feel free to list on a boss per boss basis.
For SP the talents are the mostly the same across all the encounters, the standard being ToF-Mania/B&S-Mind Bomb-LI-AS-MB-LoTV.
- For Gorothi, Hounds, and Varimathras I go ToF-Mania-Reaper-AS-Bender-STM. If I can get to 95+ stacks before my last dispersion, I will defiantly do more damage on these encounters than going the normal LOTV build.
- For High Command + PK I use the standard talents but will equip Prototype trinket for add cleave
- For Imonar, Kin, Coven, Aggramar, and Argus I wear pretty much the same gear and use the standard talents.

7c. How do you analyze your performance on a new fight and figure out how/what you can improve on next week?
I stream all of my progression and make kill vids of all of my first kills. So after the night is over on a first kill, I will watch the video, and watch others clips of the kills/best attempts.
- Raiding with higher end players has caused me to be pretty self-critical so I will take a good hard look at what I did on the fight and where I could have done better.
- Numbers don’t lie, but sometimes you die for the right reasons, such as being the guy that had to soak without an immunity to save the raid.
- In most cases if you die, it was probably your fault so I will see if I did everything I could to survive. If I didn’t, that’s on me and I will try and not let it happen again.

8. Logs
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... ow/strebla

9. Some fight analysis
I have a pretty good handle on all of the fights. Unfortunately my numbers are shit on a couple very Shadow priest friendly fights.
- At this point it’s hard to get a high number on High Command since the adds die too fast. Also if you’re pod bitch… bye bye parse week unless you’re later on in the pods when adds aren’t up.
- I really want to do better on Kin’garoth. My issues usually come on the add transitions and not being in the right spot at the right time. What I mean by that is the really good Shadow Priest will stay in Void Form while getting 2 dots on the new add, Dispersion, Warlock gateway to the next add, get new dots on the new add, Mindbender, and get a good 55+ stack on that add. I haven’t been able to put that together for a full encounter and my numbers reflect that.
- Verimathras I’ve been sissy boy and not running STM. I’ve been doing it on heroic for weeks now as STM so just need to be in for Veri to fix that number. SP is really strong on that fight for boss dmg, and being able to snipe add dmg to get ToF procs/SWD insanity gains is super important as well. If you miss a couple of those, bye bye parse.

10. Can your PC handle WoW at high effects (Lust, Scorp Room, etc.)?
- I run my PC at Ultra High settings across the board with no issues. Sometimes I will turn it down if I’m feeling like it’s laggy or I’m behind but I haven’t had any issues, as I built this PC right around the end of EN and it’s been great.

11. My UI: https://i.gyazo.com/97c368759b2da381cd9 ... e7d9f1.jpg
- YouTube kill vids: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNvu4V ... 3W5vDEmv8g

12. About me:
My name is Nathan, happily married for 5+ years, and sell ERP software for Oracle. I’m a big sports nut, evidence by having been the host of several fantasy sports leagues for my current guild, and love to talk sportsball. If you got this far in reading this application, I feel for you. I appreciate you taking a look and I hope to be in consideration for some boss killing with you.

13. Battle.net ID: Narbert#1837
Palin
The Professor

Re: Strebla - Shadow Priest

Postby Palin » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:08 am

Hi again Strebla, thanks so much for taking the time to apply. We appreciate the time and effort you put into this - we know they are a pain.

Regarding BFA have you thought about what you will play? We're not really being too picky on class at the moment, but I'm curious if you see yourself sticking with Spriest or going a different direction.

Looking at your kill log it looks like you were brought in after first kills on bosses like Argus - was there a reason for this given to you by management? Or just due to Spriest being relatively weaker on certain fights this tier like Varim/Argus etc?

Longetviity and managing burnout is a big part of each expansion - how will you avoid burning out and demoralizing yourself in BFA? Anything you learned about managing your own time/mental state from going so HAM in legion?

Thanks in advance!
Strebla

Re: Strebla - Shadow Priest

Postby Strebla » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:44 am

I've always raided progression as Shadow so ideally I would continue that route. I have my Warlock and Mage that have all the legendaries and that I kept current throughout the expansion to fallback on in case there was a need for swap or splits. I enjoy playing Warlock in M+ the most, but am looking forward to the Demo rework.

We killed Argus before the chains nerf, so we loaded up on mages, hunters, DKs, immunes, etc. There was one spot for a misc ranged dps and a boomkin got the spot. I was in for 250+ progression pulls before we killed Argus so I wasn't living the bench life the entire 3 weeks we were on him. 2nd kill we copied the comp from the first kill.

I am really aiming to raid on Sunday and only 2 days during the week, so that should help with burnout. I blame it on running 1300+ dungeons and the nasty AP farm that I went balls deep on in the early stages of the expac - hoping that won't be the model for getting the competitive edge in BFA. Having upgrades available in M+ if they TF'd really was a chief motivator for me to farm those dungeons. I don't think that will be the same in BFA. Should it be that way, I will change my approach and not treat it like Diablo 3 and farm rifts all day, and instead hope for some love from the raid to help where I may need a gear upgrade instead of farming dungeons endlessly for a small chance.

Return to “Applications”