Neuretic - Emerald Dream. Frost/Fire Mage

Want to join? Post your application here.

Moderator: Officer

neuretic

Neuretic - Emerald Dream. Frost/Fire Mage

Postby neuretic » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:33 pm

1. Character name, Server
Neuretic, Emerald Dream US.

2. Class, Race, and Spec (and Artifact Level)
Mage, Void Elf, Frost(80), Fire(78)

3. Link to an Armory profile, and an explanation of anything that may not be readily apparent from your Armory profile (alternate sets of gear, currently PvP-specced, etc.)
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... m/neuretic. Fire spec is mythic ready as well. I have all the legendaries for the class.

4. What are your usual playing hours? Are there days/times when you are consistently unavailable? Inform us of your daily work/school schedule, what time do you get home from work/school, and what time must you be in bed for the next day. Are you able to make our raid times in general? Is this availability going to change within the next few months, or with a change in Semester (if applicable)?
I am available to play from 7:30 est to about 1 am when I must log out. I work weekdays till about 7 so this schedule is pretty set with much more availability during the weekends. Your raid times would work perfectly for me and my schedule is not subject to change. Occasionally my workload piles up and i might miss the raid time but that should be pretty rare(like once a couple of months) and I am able to inform in advance.

5. Discuss your prior endgame raiding experience. Specify your experience with Heroic/Mythic in previous content as well as your experience in the current tier.
I have been raiding since the beginning of this expansion, didn't play before that expect for older private servers. My experience has been:
CE EN, 2/3M ToV before NH. CE NH, 8/9M ToS and 9/11 M in this tier.

6. Why do you want to leave your current guild? Why do you want to join us? Specifically, what interests you in our band of merry idiots?
I have had to switch guild multiple times this expansion every time due to the guild disbanding. The same happened this week with my current guild because of consistent attendance issues. Looking for a stable raiding guild because of this experience for future raiding. I found you guys on wowprogress as looking for a mage and I decided to apply.

7. Give us some info on your class knowledge and self performance analysis in this section:
I have been playing mage this entire expansion. I started as fire and switched to frost as my main spec in NH. Since then I have had fire as a viable offspec with frost as my main spec. I have been able to maintain ~90% average parses in mythic raids since ToS without compromising on mechanics.

7a. What resources and practices do you use to keep up with your class and maximizing your DPS/HPS/Surivability?
warcraftlogs, class discord and altered-time have been my go to resources for looking up on my class.

7b. What fights in the current tier do you swap Talents and Legendaries to something different than the norm (if at all)? What do you swap and why? Feel free to list on a boss per boss basis.
Frost: The talent choice is mostly static except for the choice b/w Arctic Gale and unstable magic. I use unstable magic for pure single target fights and arctic gale for fights where I will be using blizzard(usually where I can have significant uptime on 2+ targets). The only exception is Varimathras where I switch shimmer to icy floes since the nature of the fight does not does not allow for blinking and casting while moving is extremely useful. I swap b/w shard and sephuz depending on whether we keep lust for execute phase on the fight or not.
Fire: I play fire on 2 bosses
PK: I use helm and bracers for this fight. Using helm as my 2nd leggo allows me to put out decent damage to the adds while also giving a really great mass interrupt as well for the imps.
Eonar: I use helm and sephuz for this fight. Helm again allows for good aoe damage while sephuz before I can have its proc pretty much on cd because the entire fight is against adds.

7c. How do you analyze your performance on a new fight and figure out how/what you can improve on next week? Don't just say you use logs and compare to others of your class - what specifically are you looking for when you have a good/bad parse?
Definitely by comparing my logs to others as well as mage pov videos from people who have been clearing the content before me(Rikh/Drjay). Specifically I focus on cd usage and positioning. For eg. on imomar as a frost mage, since our group for using hero on the 3rd phase, using IV on the 2nd phase when it usually came back up was a dps loss. It was better to hold it for p3 when we were using lust. This was one of the things I figured out for that fight by looking up logs for guilds that were using the same strat as we did. Positioning is also really important for a frost mage since double/shimmer lancing require you to be at a particular distance from the boss and a lot of mechanics require you to stack on the boss(like felhounds/vari), and proper positioning can help you get the most out of the situation.

8. Please include your character log report showcasing your performance on the relevant bosses of the tier. If your logs are private, please change your Warcraftlogs login and list the username/password here so we can access your logs. If you aren't comfortable listing it publicly, please PM it to Palin privately on these forums. Please remember to change your WCL login again a few days later after we've reviewed your application.
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/id/17272663
Agg progression logs from one of our better nights on the boss: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/cRdA4PGf9bQZ6mpB

9. Of the above logs, please do a quick analysis of what fights you did well on, what went wrong on certain fights, etc. Use this chance to explain any context behind good/bad logs.
The log I am most satisfied about is my PK log where I was not only doing decent damage but also high priority damage and interrupts. Being fire and using the correct legendaries and trinkets allowed me to be the top damage on imps as well as the top on interrupts.
I am satisfied for the most part with my performance for most fights except imonar, vari and coven.
On imonar a frost mage can potentially get 3 lusts if the group lusts at the start of the fight but we never got that comfortable with the fight to do that and I could never find out how much better I could do. Also the way we positioned the range dps it was not possible for me to run ahead with double lancing without coming near the spot where we dispelled sleep canisters.
On Varimathras I was on the add duty so I had to hold on to my procs a lot to kill the adds quicker. This resulted in a lot of munched procs.
On Coven our entire dps group died and the boss was soloed by the tanks and 2 heals for like 300m hp, I never got to use my 2nd lust+IV burst before I died either and is my worst parse. We never rekilled it since we were holding the lockout for aggrammar.

10. Can your PC handle WoW at high effects (Lust, Scorp Room, etc.)?
Yes

11. Please include a SS of your raiding UI. IF A KEYBINDING IS NOT SHOWN NO YOUR FRAME, PLEASE EXPLAIN AND list any relevant keybinds not shown in the screenshot. Make sure we can see everything that pops up in a raid, meaning take the SS in combat in LFR or something of the like so we can see your boss mods, timer positioning, WeakAuras, raid frames, etc.
I don't have a SS of me while in combat in a raid, but this is one of the more recent videos I have which can show you my UI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SINJroacVps this was my first time playing fire on that boss I think.

12. Tell us a bit about yourself. Age, gender, work/school, hobbies, etc. Add anything else you feel is pertinent.
I am a 27y old guy. I work in new york and have been playing wow for a number of years although most of it on a private server. Only started playing on blizzard servers this expac and found a much higher skill level of players to compete with. Have been improving every tier and I think I am ready to try to run with some of the better raiding guilds out there now.

13. Out-of-game contact information - Discord tag, Battle.net ID, etc. Some way we can contact you besides these forums.
Kryptos#11469
Faldain

Re: Neuretic - Emerald Dream. Frost/Fire Mage

Postby Faldain » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:44 pm

Hi Neuretic, thanks for the app!

I've got a few questions for you.

I was watching your video and it was difficult to see if you had your healthstone keybound? And your pot? Do you click any buttons with your mouse? If so, what's your reasoning behind doing so over just kebinding them?

Would you mind doing a quick self analysis of the video you posted? Point out some mistakes you made and how you would or have fixed them since?

How often do you double IL?

Thanks!
Faldain

"Till Shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day." ~ Robert Jordan
neuretic

Postby neuretic » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:13 pm

Ya I didn't have the healthstones and pots bound in that vid, but it's a couple of months old. Right now I have the first 4 buttons of my top actionbar bound which includes pots and stones. It's my bad, didn't realize I had those things bound back then. I don't have any recent videos

https://gyazo.com/7066c21a1165bf9ce4b706c968517202

But the above ss shows those binds. I don't click any buttons during combat.

How often do I double il?
Whenever I have lust and iv both up. If I can stand at a comfortable distance from the boss I can double Lance twice before having to blink away to range to repeat the process. Can continue this till I have both the buffs up. I can shimmer Lance when I have only one of the two buffs up.

Mistakes in the vid.
There were quite a bunch of them since it was the first time I played the spec on the boss.
On the first imp pack I used dragons breath too early. If I had saved it for collapsed world, I would have been able to prevent the cast that went off.
I had some bad rune placements. Doing them right before fel barrage caused me to move away from them, basically ruining those runes.
That portal I took at the end was just an embarrasment.
I did fix these issues on our future kills. I don't have the vid for it but you can check that I performed better on that fight on later attempts
Faldain

Postby Faldain » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:45 am

That's good to know, you could tell your mouse was hovering over the bars lol.

And despite those mistakes your damage was good :D . Don't worry about us seeing you accidently blinking into the portal lmao. We've all done! Yeah I definitely saw your parses, I figured this was an early kill, I just wanted to see your self analysis and if you could own up to your mistakes.

Thanks!
Faldain

"Till Shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day." ~ Robert Jordan
kernalklink

Postby kernalklink » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:54 pm

Hi Neuretic, I have some mage like questions for you too if you don't mind.
-Do you have any gameplay/rotational mistakes that you'd be able to point out? I know from looking at your logs that it is something that you have since fixed but I was cringing a bit at the beginning of your video.

-Looking through your logs your frost is solid enough. I wonder if you can give me your opinion on the state of this spec right now? Just looking for your opinion.

-Do you feel like there are niches or cookie cutter-esqe times where you have to play either fire or frost for a given encounter or can each be flexed in such a way that you can make it work for any fight?

-Thinking about past raid tiers arcane sticks out to me as a very dominant spec, especially in later tiers when gear scaling tends to make it great. Do you have any experience at all playing this spec? Are you comfortable with the gameplay? People tend to think of it as a braindead/faceroll spec when it is, in fact, quite complex compared to the other two in my opinion and I wonder if you'd be able to pick it up if history repeats itself and it is the best spec at any point in future tiers or even now.
neuretic

Postby neuretic » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:54 am

So, other than the mistakes I already posted above, during the firestarter spam, I wasn't using my fire blast stacks. I didn't need the fireblast to convert my heating ups to hot streaks but there was no reason to not use it at all and keep at least 1 stack on cd.
There was one instance where I was hard casting pyro in combustion but I didn't have enough combustion duration left to finish the last in combustion and that means I wasted a couple of secs of combustion. Not sure if these were the things you were looking for. If not, please let me know what it was, always looking to fix any issues with my game.

Frost does come more naturally to me right now since I play it considerably more in raids, so atm its more polished as compared to fire. I think frost is in a good place at the moment, other than the reliance on rng(getting brain freeze procs), I think its fine. I did prefer the gamestyle more in tier20/19 where the tier bonuses reduced the rng dependency and the difference b/w your dps with good and bad rng wasn't as big as it is with t21. Frost right now has solid single target and 2 target cleave. Big aoe is something where I feel frost falls behind more than it should. I understand not every spec should be a big aoe spec but frost does seem to lack behind there way too much(Frost mages on eonar! urghh). That being said frost can still hold its own in fights where you have hectic add phases during the fight with a constant boss to dps at as well(high command/portal keeper) since even if frost cannot do big aoe directly, the presence of adds is a decent single target dps boost.

I think both the specs can be played on every boss, except frost on eonar, where you just feel so handicapped. I myself prefer frost for most raid encounters just because I am most comfortable with it, except on really crazy aoe fights. Its tough to lay out in precise terms as to when I would 100% have to play a given spec. eonar is the only one that comes to mind. Like I play fire on pk but frost would work well on that fight too. But as frost I would be doing more boss damage and less add damage as compared to fire. So really depends on what the raid requires you to do.

When you say arcane being a very dominant spec, I believe you are talking about wod late tiers. Ya if the spec becomes that dominant I will definitely try to pick it up. I have dabbled with it a little bit but not enough to get comfortable with it. I wouldn't call it a faceroll spec. The reason I haven't worked on the spec much is because b/w fire and frost I felt I had a good enough toolkit to deal with any kind of encounter. But if a spec becomes too good I am definitely willing to learn that. That's why I picked up frost in nighthold.

Hope I got all your questions
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:49 am

Hi Neurotic, looks like you're Trialing with Revive this week, so we'll assume this is closed. Feel free to let us know if this is incorrect and you'd still like us to consider.

Return to “Applications”