Xylez - Shadowpriest

Want to join? Post your application here.

Moderator: Officer

Xylez

Xylez - Shadowpriest

Postby Xylez » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:09 am

1. Character name, Server

Xylezz - Zul'jin - Shadow Priest

2. Class, Race, and Spec (and Artifact Level)

Priest, Troll. Shadow Priest. I main shadow priest (81) and have not really touched any of the other specs except for dumping some AP into Holy/Disc because I thought I would possibly enjoy healing, I was wrong, very wrong.

3. Link to an Armory profile, and an explanation of anything that may not be readily apparent from your Armory profile (alternate sets of gear, currently PvP-specced, etc.)

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... jin/xylezz

4. What are your usual playing hours? Are there days/times when you are consistently unavailable? Inform us of your daily work/school schedule, what time do you get home from work/school, and what time must you be in bed for the next day. Are you able to make our raid times in general? Is this availability going to change within the next few months, or with a change in Semester (if applicable)?

My usual playing hours are from 6pm (EST) until 12pm (EST) or later depending if we are doing anything as a guild later such as; M+, alt runs or any other games people want to play. I typically get home from work around 5pm (EST) sometimes later depending on if I had some sales meetings go later. Your raid times would not conflict with my normal schedule unless I am traveling for work which happens but I can give weeks notice and does not happen often. If i had to guess how many times, I would say once or twice every 3 months, if that.

5. Discuss your prior endgame raiding experience. Specify your experience with Heroic/Mythic in previous content as well as your experience in the current tier.

I started playing in BC when I was in High School and quit playing wow before WOTLK because of college, I mainly just PVP'd as my sport schedule conflicted with any raiding I could do. I came back when WOD came out and went 3/7M and 4/10m BRF, nothing notable as I was just getting back into the game and wanted to find a guild to start raiding with ASAP.

Legion: (Unrivaled II - Mage)

Emerald Nightmare - 7/7M, Full clear, current content
Trial of Valor - 3/3M Current Content
Night Hold - 7/10m Current content - Need to take a break as I moved across the country to start my current job with a new company
Tomb of Sargeras - 0/9M - Was still in the process of getting my life together/on track with my new company.
Antorus - 9/11M - Current content - I had 1% wipes on Aggramar before having to travel a day for work, they downed him the next day after I got back. Argus, nearing 600 pulls, 3 0% wipes.

6. Why do you want to leave your current guild? Why do you want to join us? Specifically, what interests you in our band of merry idiots?

I plan on leaving by the end of the week, as I do not want to leave them hanging high and dry on Argus without letting them have time to possibly fill my spot. Frustration over lack of progression and a raid environment that I do not enjoy; certain toxicity when were wiping a lot (argus) and simply not looking forward to logging on for raid because of this. There are many great people in the guild, but the leadership and their decisions I do not agree with, and their seems to be no personal responsibility when it comes to mechanics. Its, ok guys, lets try this again and again, without talking about the issues calmly and fixing them or asking raid members if they need help with a specific mechanic. It is yelling during mid pull when someone messes up and then it is done and moved on, no adjustments. There is also a couple guild members that are family/RL friends who are blatantly messing up and nothing is being said to address the issue which is holding us back. It just gets frustrating.

Why I want to join you guys? For one, your ending raid times are an hour earlier which is appealing to me because it allows me to get other things done if I couldn't accomplish them prior in the day. (gym/work) Your progression is far more advanced and what I believe is up to my level of skill and desire. After reading the "Our commitment to you" section in your forum post I believe the guild is what I am looking for; High Maturity, Patience and constructive Attitude. The respect and drama part also is a big positive because having condescending tones during raids or drama just breeds a toxic atmosphere for everyone in the raid, no one likes to sit through someone yelling and degrading another player, it is awkward to have to sit through.

7. Give us some info on your class knowledge and self performance analysis in this section:

I have been playing Shadow Priest since December which is the time I came back and am constantly looking at Priest Discord or H2P to see if there is anything I can improve on. (gear, rotation min/maxing) I also always try to study fights beforehand to see when the best time would be to use certain spells such as Void Torrent.

On argus for example, I use my void torrent after the first cone around 28 stacks because with the haste buff, I can extend it to a total of 57-59 stacks.

7a. What is your general action priority? Opener and neutral game, and any special CDs?

ST Fight - 3 sec (pre-pot) > 1.5 sec Mind Blast > VT > SWP > MB > Mind flay until 65 Insanity > Void Eruption > Void Bolt > Mind Blast > Mind Flay Until Void Bolt is back up > Void Bolt > Mind Blast. Using Mind Flay as a filler if Void Bolt/Mind Blast is on cd and just weaving them in and out. Around 22-23 Insanity stacks I will use Void Torrent into Mind Bender. Typically, depending on procs this will get me anywhere from a total of 52-57 Stacks. If I get good procs prior I will try to extend using Void Torrent to 25-30.

Multi-Target Fight - 3 sec (pre-pot) > 1.5 sec Mind Blast > Dotting all targets with VT/SWP > MB and the rotation is the same. The only differences would be recasting VT/SWP when the secondary target is about to expire to maintain 99%+ uptime if possible. I will also extend my stacks to about 27-30 before I use Void Torrent into Mindbender because of the ticking dots I can sustain more Insanity before needing to pop my cooldowns for maximum stacks.

7b. What resources and practices do you use to keep up with your class and maximizing your DPS/HPS/Surivability?

I use RaidBots to ensure my simming/Stat weights/gear is correct/optimal, WCL Logs to see typically when other priests are using VT/MindBender and ensuring my casts are roughly the same on both Void Bolt and Mind Blast throughout the duration of the flight. I also try to watch spriest POV's when available to see how they are handling specific encounters.

7c. How do you prioritize gear upgrades? What stats do you prioritize, how do you choose between ilvl upgrades that don't have your preferred stats, etc.? Are there any legos you don't have that you're shooting for?

I use pawn/raidbots to specify what stat weights I need to be at, at that point I run dungeons/raids to try and target specific gear I'll need. After I acquire a piece of gear that's inline why my current BIS stats, I always re-sim to ensure I am still targeting the right gear/stats. If my stats weights change enough after that piece of gear, I look for the correct replacement. I also take a look at WCL logs to see what pieces of gear others are running to further min/max my dps and see whats right.

If I get a huge ilvl upgrade (titanforged max) then I will still sim the gear, if it is BIS at that point, I will work around it with other pieces of gear. It is all situtational but I am constantly using sim to ensure maximum DPS.

7d. What fights in the current tier do you swap Talents and Legendaries to something different than the norm? What do you swap and why? Feel free to list on a boss per boss basis.

With this response I do not mean to not be more in-depth but Spriests really have 1 build for majority of the bosses except for 3 which I will show below.

Garothi - Pure ST, Belt/Sephuz (surrender to madness if the boss can die fast enough)

Dogs - Pure ST, Belt/Sephuz (surrender to madness if the boss can die fast enough)

HC - Pure ST, Belt/Sephuz - I would love to use Prototype from Garothi, but our GM requires us to use Norgannon's for optimal raid DPS.

Eonar - Dot/AOE, Misery talent for Dots. Chest/Sephuz is what I run for Bats. Another option is Sephuz/Twin ring for dots, but typically the melee adds die really fast.

PK - Pure ST, Belt/Sephuz

Imonar - Pure ST, Belt/Sephuz

Kin - Pure ST, Belt/Sephuz

Coven- Pure ST, Belt/Sephuz

Vari - Pure ST, Belt/Sephuz, Reaper of souls can be ran depending on if we have the damage for spirits. Since my main damaging ability is a 1 second cast, sometimes it is dead before I can get it off. So I typically mind flay in SWD.

Aggramar - Pure ST, Belt/Sephuz

Argus - Pure ST, Belt/Sephuz

7e. How do you analyze your performance on a new fight and figure out how/what you can improve on next week? Don't just say you use logs and compare to others of your class - what specifically are you looking for when you have a good/bad parse?

I will always compare my logs to those that are top parsing. When I am comparing logs I look at how many mind blasts / void bolts were cast. This way I can determine if I am slacking on getting the casts out and what I can do to fix that ensuring I have no down-time in between casts. I also look to see if its a # cast problem or if they had better RNG on void Tentrils than me. I also will study the fights more to see if I am maximizing the non-movement downtime to get as much damage as I can out and knowing when this "phase" occurs.

8. Please include your character log report showcasing your performance on the relevant bosses of the tier. If your logs are private, please change your Warcraftlogs login and list the username/password here so we can access your logs. If you aren't comfortable listing it publicly, please PM it to Palin privately on these forums. Please remember to change your WCL login again a few days later after we've reviewed your application.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/us/zuljin/xylezz

9. Of the above logs, please do a quick analysis of what fights you did well on, what went wrong on certain fights, etc. Use this chance to explain any context behind good/bad logs.

All that I ask is that you please keep in mind that I came back to the game December 2nd, many of these kills were done in January/February when I was still focusing on maximizing my dps with gear and rotations. I haven't seen these bosses in about 2-3 months on Mythic since we skipped many weeks of farm for progression, I also would recommend to be sat for others who needed gear as I wasn't focused on Parsing, I wanted to progress.

Some of these may sound like excuses which is not what I am trying to give, I am just explaining my thoughts on the fight. I know there is room for improvement, because their is always room for improvement. I believe since it has been 2-3 months or since I have seen these bosses, I know my skill and gear has drastically improved.

Garothi - I focused more on mechanics as we had quite a few people not soaking/getting tossed around. However I know I could have weaved in dispersion's better to maximize my Void Form.

Dogs - Depending on whether I was fire or shadow group, it made dotting the secondary target harder. With the way the bosses were positioned I would have to run to the middle of the room to dot the other target and run back to ensure not getting feared or dying.

HC - I was always in Pods #2, which I believe played a role in DPS Loss. I know however there are moments were I could have probably improved but It killed my Void Form.

Eonar - This one I didn't care as much about because I was always in Doom group 1, hitting the red buff which would fling me into the air. Many of our DPS complained about this so I just requested that I would take it every-time so we could move on/down the boss.

PK - I was always in the portal group to go up which would work against me being that Spriests damage comes from ramping up, I had to try and do my best to find a way around the downtime of portals/mind bender not being able to go up.

Imonar - Other than not always properly casting Void Torrent at the right time, I would cut short my Ramp up as he would change Platforms, definitely have improved since.

Kin - I was positioned in the far back with many other High Dps, so It would cause me to have to run across the room after one died to try and keep my Void Form up. Could have done better however. Just need more pulls

Vari - Necrotic isn't fun when you are ramping up and them have to move heavily, however I could have found ways around this.

Coven - Ensuring my Dots are up more on all the targets would be beneficial, would also like more pulls. }

Aggra - 1% wipes, guild downed him the day I was gone traveling for work.

Argus - 34m wipes, feels bad :(.

10. Can your PC handle WoW at high effects (Lust, Scorp Room, etc.)?

Yes. I custom built it about 1.5/2 years ago. i5-6600k, 1070 strix edition, 16gb of 3400mhz ram, m.2 drive, 1TB internet connection

11. Please include a SS of your raiding UI. IF A KEYBINDING IS NOT SHOWN NO YOUR FRAME, PLEASE EXPLAIN AND list any relevant keybinds not shown in the screenshot. Make sure we can see everything that pops up in a raid, meaning take the SS in combat in LFR or something of the like so we can see your boss mods, timer positioning, WeakAuras, raid frames, etc.

https://imgur.com/a/9PDHh

DBM, ERT, Angry Assignments, Bartender4, Elvui, WeakAuras2, Simc/Simpermut, Saved Instances, Details.

12. Tell us a bit about yourself. Age, gender, work/school, hobbies, etc. Add anything else you feel is pertinent.

My name is Justin, I am a life science sales reps and am 27 (28 in may)

I have been playing games and building computers since I was 12. I have always enjoyed fixing computers because it is a sense of accomplishment when you are able to diagnose an issue and walk through the steps to fix it. I play many different games, ranging from MOBS, MMO's, FPS's and indie games. I currently play PUBG, Rocket League, POE, Hearthstone and few other smaller indie games on Steam. I used to heavily play dota2 before they changed the whole system and basically got rid of my 6k MMR.

Being a sales rep, I have to be very sociable with my clients/lab personnel so I would consider myself outgoing and a personable person. I've always loved talking to people and getting to know them because everyone has a different story and typically they're all interesting.

As I stated earlier, I moved across the country from Chicago to Baltimore to start a new career with a more promising company, which has been a pretty big life change but am enjoying it. When I'm not playing games I am working out or doing work after hours to generate some more money.

I appreciate the opportunity to apply here and believe my Attitude, DPS and being mechanically inclined will help the guild.

13. Out-of-game contact information - e-mail (PM it to Palin if you prefer private), Discord tag, Battle.net ID, etc. Some way we can contact you besides these forums.
Xylez#1660 - Bnet.
ЖЎlэz#5686- Discord.
Last edited by Xylez on Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marko
Go Leafs Go

Re: Xylez - Shadowpriest

Postby Marko » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:44 am

We just need one link to your character's log page.we can find the rest of them from there haha.

Thanks for the app, someone will take a closer look at it tomorrow. We know it takes a lot of time and effort, and we appreciate it.
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:19 am

Thanks Xylez, appreciate your app. If you have the Agrammar 1% wipe night before they killed it, that'd be helpful too.

We just need one link to your character's log page.we can find the rest of them from there haha.

I asked him to since "near kills" don't show up on Character page.
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:19 am

Hey again Xylez,

Looking at these 2 nights of full Argus pulls, what do you think you could have improved on or done better on in the last phase? Not just damage, but anything survivability related. I'm curious what you pull out of your log analysis about your performance vs what I see, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Xylez

Postby Xylez » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:06 am

Palin wrote:Hey again Xylez,

Looking at these 2 nights of full Argus pulls, what do you think you could have improved on or done better on in the last phase? Not just damage, but anything survivability related. I'm curious what you pull out of your log analysis about your performance vs what I see, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Palin,

Thank you for the question. After reviewing the logs from April 5th and April 10th, there are a couple issues that stood out to me which I will intend to adjust and try to fix tonight

April 5th;

1. Crushing fear - Taking damage from this should be nearly 100% avoidable, at least nowhere near the amount I should have taken if we/I are stacking properly. Calculating 210m damage over the course of 21 pulls, equates to about 10m a pull. Which means I could do a better job of finding a friend quicker so I am not taking the stacking damage because the damage is quite high.

2. Rent Soul - Adjusting my positioning so our bear tank can get the orbs and being in a better suitable spot to not take the aoe damage from the balls. I took 6 hits total, unacceptable.

3. Scythe - Nothing I can say about this. As, even if I am running out to break chains, I should have the best positioning to ensure I am need being scythed. (my question about this is will this still show damage even if the tank scythed us on accident?)

4. Unleashed Rage - I believe some of this damage is avoidable, better position (same question above, is this calculated in the pull when we stack and die to rez? if not, the damage is unacceptable and I need to do a better job of not being hit)

April 10th;

1. Crushing fear - Taking damage from this should be nearly 100% avoidable, at least nowhere near the amount I should have taken if we/I are stacking properly. Calculating 157m damage over the course of 21 pulls, equates to about 7.4m a pull. As I did do a better job than the prior week, I can still do a better job to ensure I am not taking damage.

2. Rent Soul - Adjusting my positioning so our bear tank can get the orbs and being in a better suitable spot to not take the aoe damage from the balls. I took 5 hit total, hardly an improvement over prior week. Need to focus on this, because these amounts of hits/damage should be maybe 1.

3. Scythe - While I improved from last week (pending wiping question), this death that I had from scythe was avoidable when breaking chains, it was an error on my part by not watching the exact route I was taking and where the boss was going to scythe. This needs to be corrected to 0 so I can ensure I am alive for execute phase.

4. Unleashed Rage - I believe some of this damage is avoidable, better position (same question above, is this calculated in the pull when we stack and die to rez? if not, the damage is unacceptable and I need to do a better job of not being hit)

Overall from last week to this week I did improve on some aspects, but know this room for a lot more improvement going into tonight and tomorrow which I intend to focus on. At 550ish pulls personally, I should be minimizing the Fear damage I take in the last phase to almost none over the course of the night. Ensuring my positioning is better for rent soul / scythe / Unleashed Rage so I can avoid damage and help the healers and be alive for the execute phase.

Also, not having HS but the access to Astral Potions, as we talked about over bnet, I see that over the course of the night on April 5th I used 1 and April 10th I used 0. That is unacceptable given the amount of pulls and not maximizing my sustainability, which will be fixed tonight to ensure every pull I am using an Astral Potion to help my healers and stay alive longer.

Another thing I noticed is my casts on Vampiric Embrace is also around a 33% average over the course of both nights, since I am suppose to use them on the 4th Module, last night I missed 1 and the prior week I missed 1-2 which is unacceptable and needs to be addressed.

If i did not answer the question correctly or am missing something, I would appreciate if you could point me in the right direction so I can analyze it further. However, I believe these are the issues you were asking me to find in regards to my sustainability during the last phase of the fight which will be addressed tonight.
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:29 am

Thanks for the in depth breakdown Xylez:

3. Scythe - Nothing I can say about this. As, even if I am running out to break chains, I should have the best positioning to ensure I am need being scythed. (my question about this is will this still show damage even if the tank scythed us on accident?)

Your instincts are right, both these will show from the sacrifice as well as accidental wipes. So the overall isn't slightly accurate.

You looked at a lot of things I wanted you to look at. The small things I noticed and wanted to bring to your attention or hope you saw was uptime on your Rune and Prolonged Power in your last phase:

Defiled Augmentation:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Cn ... 01&phase=4
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Fy ... 01&phase=4

Looking at these overalls and then individual fights, you often forgot to Re-Rune post Tree res in P4. 325 Int isn't a lot but when you have 30mil wipes a few people doing this can add up. What's the best way you think you can fix this inconsistency?

Your Prolonged Power shows a similar inconsistency:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Cn ... =5&wipes=1
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Fy ... 06&phase=4

Looking at individual pulls, some of these 1% wipes you forget to do your initial Prolonged Power, or you forget to do your second Prolonged Power. I'm not sure if that's 1% health (probably not), but little things like that amongst a raid team add up.

Same questions as Defiled Augmentation - how would you go about fixing this inconsistency?

Thanks!
Xylez

Postby Xylez » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:10 am

Palin wrote:Thanks for the in depth breakdown Xylez:

Your instincts are right, both these will show from the sacrifice as well as accidental wipes. So the overall isn't slightly accurate.

You looked at a lot of things I wanted you to look at. The small things I noticed and wanted to bring to your attention or hope you saw was uptime on your Rune and Prolonged Power in your last phase:

Defiled Augmentation:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Cn ... 01&phase=4
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Fy ... 01&phase=4

Looking at these overalls and then individual fights, you often forgot to Re-Rune post Tree res in P4. 325 Int isn't a lot but when you have 30mil wipes a few people doing this can add up. What's the best way you think you can fix this inconsistency?

Your Prolonged Power shows a similar inconsistency:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Cn ... =5&wipes=1
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Fy ... 06&phase=4

Looking at individual pulls, some of these 1% wipes you forget to do your initial Prolonged Power, or you forget to do your second Prolonged Power. I'm not sure if that's 1% health (probably not), but little things like that amongst a raid team add up.

Same questions as Defiled Augmentation - how would you go about fixing this inconsistency?

Thanks!

Hi Palin,

Glad i was able to answer the Survivability question and I apologize for not answering the DPS question. From what the way the question was worded to me, I figured you were more interested about the survivability part so my apologies for misreading and not looking at the fight from a DPS perspective as well.

I believe I did better tonight on the kill that we had, but there is definitely still room for improvement in the foreseeable future.

Defile Augmentation; I missed one again, on the tree rez in P4. The best way I believe going about fixing this would be to create a weak aura that is similar to the way sephuz works to remind me to use my Rune. Bouncing when not activated, because things can be hectic in the tree rez phase, from dodging balls to ensuring we are not getting scythed, I believe a weak aura would fix this inconsistency 100% (we have been scythed before)

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Tv ... fight=last

Potion of Prolonged Power; While I did accomplish all 4 in the kill pull, I know that the prior weeks showed I was inconsistent as well. I think this would work best the same way I would work the Defile Augmentation rune create a visual Weak Aura to show me when it is on CD and ready to be used. However, in p4 I believe I used my prolonged power a little too late and could have maximized more DPS.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Tv ... fight=last

Overall, I believe a WA would be the best solution to fix this inconsistency 100% of the time, as I have gotten used to it with sephuz.

Again, i apologize for overlooking the DPS part of the fight, but I appreciate the in-depth questions as it helps me become a better player by not only looking at casts/uptime on dots and spells but also the little things such as Runes and Potions. (Potions not being as little as Rune)
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:24 pm

HI Xylez, as we discussed in game, we're going to hold off for now and see how your next few weeks of post-Argus farm goes. Since you have a limited sample size of logs and they're old, we want a little more data to go off of.

We'll be in touch down the line one way or another. Thanks!

Return to “Applications”