Feyrisnyan-Shadow Priest

Want to join? Post your application here.

Moderator: Officer

Feyrisnyan-Shadow Priest

Postby feyrisnyan » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:28 pm

EDIT: Cleaned up a couple of typos.

1. Character name, Server

Feyrisnyan, Sargeras

2. Class, Race, and Spec (and Artifact Level)

Priest, Human, Shadow(78)

3. Link to an Armory profile, and an explanation of anything that may not be readily apparent from your Armory profile (alternate sets of gear, currently PvP-specced, etc.)

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... feyrisnyan

I use the legendary chest for burst AOE and for most multi-target fights I switch out Norgannon's with a 960 Prototype Personnel Decimator.

4. What are your usual playing hours? Are there days/times when you are consistently unavailable? Inform us of your daily work/school schedule, what time do you get home from work/school, and what time must you be in bed for the next day. Are you able to make our raid times in general? Is this availability going to change within the next few months, or with a change in Semester (if applicable)?

I like to play a bit every day. Currently, I am raiding from 9PM-1AM EST on Tu/W/Th. I work on weekdays from 9AM-6PM EST, so I typically get home around 6:45-7:00PM EST. I would like to be in bed around 12AM EST or earlier if possible on nights where I need to wake up for work. I am able to make Spike Flail's raid times in general. This availability is not going to change in the next few months barring unforeseen circumstances.

5. Discuss your prior endgame raiding experience. Specify your experience with Heroic/Mythic in previous content as well as your experience in the current tier.

Karazhan - current content(as mage)
Magtheridon's Lair - current content(as mage)
Gruul's Lair - current content(as mage)
SSC - current content(as mage)
Tempest Keep - current content(as mage)
Black Temple - current content(as mage/warlock)
Hyjal Summit - current content(as mage/warlock)
Sunwell Plateau - up to Eredar Twins while current content(as warlock)

I took a hiatus through WotLK/Cata/MoP/WoD and only returned in each to do some casual content and occasionally normal raids.

Emerald Nightmare - heroic while current content(as havoc DH/mistweaver monk), mythic well into 7.1.5
Trial of Valor - heroic while current content, mythic shortly after 7.1.5 release(as havoc DH on Odyn/Guarm but used priest on Helya for token Mass Dispell)
Nighthold - up to mythic Tichondrius while current content, then had to take a break due to juggling a full-time job and my last couple of months of college(as havoc DH)
Tomb of Sargeras - up to mythic Maiden while current content(as spriest a couple of weeks before Antorus came out)
Antorus - up to mythic Aggramar with just shy of 200 wipes on Argus

6. Why do you want to leave your current guild? Why do you want to join us? Specifically, what interests you in our band of merry idiots?

The leadership is fairly poor and generally refuses to change strats or improvise. The raid leader typically just tries to copy world first kill videos and tunnels a bit too much on raid comp over player performance. For instance, it took the guild over one hundred wipes on Imonar with a poor performing Havoc DH and when I was brought in to replace her, we killed the boss on the fourth pull. Since then, I have still not been brought along for Imonar on farm(although I generally don't mind being sat if there are better players or if other members need to be geared).

The raid leader also lacks general knowledge of different specs, and has denied many of my objections regarding positioning and duties on different fights. She has recently made a habbit of making shadow priests in both raid groups run orbs on Portal Keeper, although luckily for me the instance in which I was chosen wasn't logged. I have gone along with her plans since she is the raid leader, but her stubborn penchant for suboptimal strats really undermines the effort that the whole raid brings. It seems to be a big reason why the guild implodes and has to rebuild every tier. I'll gladly sacrifice my own dps/life it's for the good of the raid(and typically do), but as a shadow priest specifically, it is very detrimental to have to play around heavy movement mechanics when I have roughly a 60 second ramp and other specs in the raid have better mobility/survivability for performing the mechanics. This has really come to light for me during Aggramar specifically.

Progression is often hampered by regression on "farm" bosses. The roster is 25-30 strong, and although I am brought during progression fights, I along with other players are sat on farm bosses to gear up other members(which I wouldn't ordinarily mind at all). However, quite a few of these players are mechanically deficient and cause long nights on fights like Kingaroth and Varimathras, which had reduced our progression time quite a bit before we started extending lockouts.

We spend 12 hours a week just zerging progression content, which is fine if it's productive, however there are no discussions between raid leaders/officers after the raid and the raid leader generally doesn't pause in between pulls to evaluate problems either.

Also, there is no sense of community within the guild, and previous guild members have informed me that this, along with the poor leadership, has been a long-term problem.

Additionally, while I could and still do make my current guild's raid times from 9PM-1AM, spending the next hour or so going over logs and discussing the issues in the raid with the several other interested raid members has caused me to become sleep deprived on most raid nights. It has caused unnecessary stress on my body and I have begun experiencing health issues as a result. I have stayed with my current guild despite the medical costs it has incurred, but after 200 wipes on Argus with only 1 attempt at phase 3, I have decided it is not worth my health to stay in such a guild that I have no emotional attachment to. I don't want to be a giant dick and leave this far into Antorus, but my health is the trigger for my desire to join a new guild. In the past few weeks I have been raiding on an average 3-4 hours of sleep and although I feel a sense of responsibility for helping the raid, my work/raid performance have both suffered a bit.

Lastly, I would like to switch to horde for BFA. Z A N D A L A R H Y P E

7. Give us some info on your class knowledge and self performance analysis in this section:
7a. What is your general action priority? Opener and neutral game, and any special CDs?

Single Target:
The opener for shadow priest consists of pre-pot > mind blast > vampiric touch+shadow word: pain > mind blast > [mind flay > mind blast](if I don't already have enough insanity to enter void form) > void eruption.

In an ideal world, I would save void torrent for when I have roughly 25 stacks of void form and then pop mindbender afterwards. However, with any sort of serious movement, I would risk de-syncing my minute cycle. Consequently, immediately after I enter void form, I cast voidbolt once and prevent an overcap on mind blast charges before casting void torrent. It is important to always cast void torrent before reaching too many stacks(typically 30 when you mindbender) because void torrent not only pauses insanity loss, but also pauses the insanity loss ramp.

Shadow priest doesn't really have DPS cooldowns outside of void torrent and mindbender(which I cast between 25-30 stacks of void form depending on my current insanity and any upcoming movement).

Dispersion is a defensive that causes me to take reduced damage and can be used to pause insanity loss at the cost of becoming unable to cast. Vampiric embrace is another defensive that allows me to heal myself and a nearby ally based on the single target damage I do.

My general action priority during void form is voidbolt > mind blast > mind flay while not overcapping mind blast charges and maintaining DoT's(although voidbolt usually does that for me). At ~140% haste, I tend to only cast mind flay after ever fourth sequence of voidbolt>mind blast. The goal is to get as many stacks of void form as possible, with a minimum of ~50 which allows me to re-sync void torrent and mindbender for the following void form.

During execute phase, my priority during void form become voidbolt > mind blast/shadow word:death > mind flay while not overcapping mind blast and shadow word: death charges.

The opener consists of pre-pot > mind blast > vampiric touch+shadow word:pain on targets (while not allowing mind blast to overcap) > mind flay(until I have enough insanity for void form without letting mind blast overcap) > void eruption.

The AOE priority is fairly similar to single target, however it becomes very important to refresh dots on pandemic. For 2-3 targets, the priority is the same as single target.

With 4 STACKED targets, mind flay reaches mind blast with respect to insanity generation and is preferable if using trinkets that proc on damage ticks such as the Acrid Catalyst Injector and the Prototype Personnel Decimator.

With 5 STACKED targets, mind flay reaches void bolt with respect to insanity generation and is preferable if using trinkets that proc on damage ticks such as the Acrid Catalyst Injector and the Prototype Personnel Decimator. However, it is important to use voidbolt to extend the duration of the dots in between every couple of mind flay casts(depending on current haste levels).

If there is spread AOE required, the priority is basically maintaining all dots and then performing the single target priority on the target with enough health to make full use of mindbender.

It should be noted that in add phases, it is important to silence/stun mobs ideally at ~15 & 45 stacks of void form to proc sephuz. Also, damaging a target below 20% health provides a 20% overall damage buff for 12 seconds through the Twist of Fate talent.

It should also be noted that mouseover macros should be used for applying dots between multiple targets, since switching literal targets causes mindbender to go crazy and try to run over to your new target, effectively cutting your void form short.

7b. What resources and practices do you use to keep up with your class and maximizing your DPS/HPS/Surivability?

I use the How2Priest discord channel/forum and wowhead/mmo-champion to keep up with class changes. If I have immediate questions, I ask in the discord channel. I discuss and ask for log reviews from another shadow priest who is better than me, while I also look into log replays of parses around my ilvl that are a little bit down from the top. Top parses typically involve god procs or cheese and I don't look at them too much for guidance compared to other great but not top-10 parses. However, this typically varies on the amount of progression for that specific boss. At higher levels of progression, such as Argus right now, there are fewer logs and I do try to compare myself to the very best ones. Wowanalyzer is typically useless since it is only really good at showing void form stacks and it is wrong/bugged with respect to counting voidbolt casts. My guess is that it counts voidbolt casts that are missed during void torrent channels/dispersion and tells everyone that they are bad for missing them.

7c. How do you prioritize gear upgrades? What stats do you prioritize, how do you choose between ilvl upgrades that don't have your preferred stats, etc.? Are there any legos you don't have that you're shooting for?

Since I have sephuz+belt legendaries, haste is my top stat for single target until around 16k, which allows me to maintain the minute cycle with ease even with movement. After that, crit becomes a better stat due to Auspicious Spirits talent and the T21 bonuses. Mastery is a good stat for heavy movement fights and multidot cleave, however, it generally pales in comparison to haste/crit. Versatility is good for burst AOE when using the legendary chest along with the shadow crash talent, it is a decent stat for M+ and fights such as Eonar where I can't ramp up before things are dead.

I use raidbots and the simc+simpermut addons to sim many different gear combinations, including gear that I do not have. I run simulations for patchwerk, light movement, heavy movement, and hectic add cleave to determine what gear pieces/stats are most appropriate. Having said that, I have heard simcraft does not model Shadowy Apparitions properly since they can potentially provide a DPS increase the closer I stand to a boss. Additionally, I use magicsim which is tailored specifically for shadow priests and provides overall stat weights by combining custom profiles appropriate for each boss in the current tier.

I also look at what are shadow priests are running on warcraftlogs and do test out my different gear combinations on the Ironforge raid dummy(since the one in Stormwind has rats around it and the ones in the order hall are closely stacked).

With Acrid Catalyst Injector, I've noticed that I can get away with having around 15k haste and still maintain the 1 minute cycle well(assuming no sephuz buffs). My priorities in gearing for raid on the current patch involve keeping my haste at a minimum 15k with Acrid and then stacking crit since these are the two stats that directly affect my insanity generation. Additional points of haste/crit are both worth over twice a point of intellect, so the secondary stats usually outweigh the amount of intellect gained through raw ilvl.

7d. What fights in the current tier do you swap Talents and Legendaries to something different than the norm? What do you swap and why? Feel free to list on a boss per boss basis.

The only real fight I swap talents/legendaries for is Eonar, since that fight requires heavy burst AOE. For Eonar, I would use sephuz+leggo chest and I would take the Shadow Crash talent. having said that, on Portal Keeper Hasabel, I have been forced to take Body and Soul for movement since the raid leader deemed it proper to have the shadow priest run the orbs to the portal(despite my objection). On other fights that require constant on demand movement at all times, I typically like to take Body and Soul over mania despite it being a slight dps loss since it requires me to spend a GCD to gain increased movement speed. Examples for this include bosses like Imonar.

7e. How do you analyze your performance on a new fight and figure out how/what you can improve on next week? Don't just say you use logs and compare to others of your class - what specifically are you looking for when you have a good/bad parse?

The biggest things to look at for shadow priest are void form uptime and sephuz procs. I typically know why I have a bad parse before even looking at the logs. Whether it's dropping void form early to do a mechanic that requires me to do extended movement or not proccing sephuz at 15+45 stacks of void form when possible. Shadow priest has roughly a 60 second ramp, so if a void form is dropped early, void torrent and mindbender will have to be delayed if already used to re-sync the minute cycle. I also look at my Twist of Fate uptime(execute talent), whether or not I dropped my dots, and how many times I cast voidbolt/mind blast relative to mind flay.

I've found that the biggest help in alleviating most of these issues is to look at the replays for the better parses and see how shadow priests position for different phases of fights. As I mentioned before, I also talk to another shadow priest over voice in discord as we pick apart the logs.

8. Please include your character log report showcasing your performance on the relevant bosses of the tier. If your logs are private, please change your Warcraftlogs login and list the username/password here so we can access your logs. If you aren't comfortable listing it publicly, please PM it to Palin privately on these forums. Please remember to change your WCL login again a few days later after we've reviewed your application.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... feyrisnyan

9. Of the above logs, please do a quick analysis of what fights you did well on, what went wrong on certain fights, etc. Use this chance to explain any context behind good/bad logs.

Only looking at my top(kek) parses for each mythic T21 fight:

Garothi: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/hvL1ZxNVjGr8QDan#fight=12&type=damage-done&source=105
I got to generally stand in place and perform my priority without a hitch. Decimator did not cause me to move during the critical 20-30 voidform stacks and the phase transitions during which I have no target to cast on worked out pretty well since I was at low insanity/could use dispersion.

Felhounds: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/RdBjJhNXFWbG6w1g#fight=10&type=damage-done&source=28
Things seem to be going fairly well until one of the dogs was much closer to dying than the other. All dps was stopped, and it somewhat crippled my execute phase and reset my ramp from ~3:40-3:54. However, when the orbs came out, I tended to just stop doing things and I also had dots fall off the fire boss once before stopping all dps and having them fall off a second time.

High Command: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/7nKP2W9wfptAYD8H#fight=21&type=damage-done&source=14
Things seemed to go fairly well, until I had to enter the pod and reset the 60 second ramp coming out. Earlier on I did not proc sephuz at the ideal stacks of void form, and I walked out too far to bait the add charges, so my insanity suffered. It would have been better if I ran Mania over Body and Soul.

Portal Keeper Hasabel: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/bPGWdcxhNFjXknL1#fight=26&type=auras&source=25&ability=194249
I dropped many void forms early. Pretty much all were due to coming into melee to bait the imps(since imp casts had been a chronic problem for our group). I got consistent sephuz procs which somewhat salvaged my otherwise cucked dps.

Overall, things went fairly ok. The nature of the fight makes it pretty much impossible to maintain consistently high void form stacks unless the rest of the raid is sleeping. I lacked sephuz at the time and managed to pull some mission impossible shit with self heals and prydaz since I had the green crystal(99% healing parse). I did a lot of damage to bats, although I did not cast shadow crash enough on the other add spawns.

Imonar: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Wv2zY37kdZhTAmcb#fight=4&type=damage-done&source=27
I got sephuz procs in the first phase to stay relevant, and healed with shadow mend during spirit link for the bridge sequence. I managed to avoid a good bit of damage and got relatively decent void forms throughout.

Kingaroth: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/6Yd4NBM3vgckQmFD#fight=26&type=damage-done&source=51
My damage was fairly poor. I did not dot the other add before going over to dot the one I was assigned. I stayed on my assigned add until it died(fairly early, wasting mindbender a bit) and then went over to dot the third add. I also dropped my dps entirely after the first add phase and had to reset my ramp, while dropping two subsequent void forms early due to not re-syncing void torrent/mindbender.

The solution here is to use mouseover macros to dot the other group's add, take a warlock portal to my add, use mouseover macros to dot it, and then move to the third add using dispersion and using mindbender on it and using my single target priority to kill it while using vampiric embrace/shadow mend/power word:shield to keep myself alive. This might get a bit risky depending on just how much self-healing I can do and VE has a 3-min CD that's de-synced, but I've seen some spriests pull it off. If it doesn't work out, I could always just dot one add and then lock gate to the next add and stay there until it dies.

Also, I let dots fall off of the boss during the add phase. While the boss takes much less damage, I should have kept my dots up on him to get more insanity through Shadowy Apparitions and the Auspicious Spirits talent.

I did consistently get the Twist of Fate buff on the adds. Upon further inspection, I see that I get necrotic embrace immediately after a void form ends, and I lose many Lingering Insanity stacks before re-entering void form; effectively shoving me down the ramp. I also target switched to several adds to mind blast/voidbolt while mindbender was up, losing out on insanity in the process and cutting my void form shorter than it should have been.

Coven of Shivarra: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/6Yd4NBM3vgckQmFD#fight=48&type=auras&source=51&ability=194249
My DPS on this fight is pretty terrible. Void forms are dropped early many times, and dots fall off the bosses repeatedly. During the Khazgoroth and Golganneth phases, I don't dot every add possible. I also am not given sephuz procs via interrupts on the fourth boss that drops down.

Having said that, there are many opportunities to pad on the Amanthul adds and the Amanthul+*Golganneth adds at the end where we're ignoring things and trying to burn the boss through the damage. Since the burn phase is the execute phase as well, there is a lot of potential damage that I do not put out.

To remedy the situation as a whole, I should be staying in the middle when it's not a storm/Khazgoroth/Norgannon phase to allow better dot uptime on the bosses, and I should be dotting more adds. There is an argument to be made that dotting all targets, even during the burn phase, is a dps increase on the bosses since I get more insanity via Shadowy Apparitions. Ideally, I would also be called for the interrupts instead of the enhancement shaman for sephuz procs. However, that last part is not really up to me.

My damage is absolutely atrocious. I want to enter the add phase with 15-20 stacks so that I have time to dot both big adds, silence a small add for sephuz, and pop mindbender on the big add that I am assigned to. Here, we phase the into the intermission a few seconds earlier than I would have liked but if anything it's easier to have a couple fewer stacks. Things here appear fine, except if anything I should delay my silence until right before the small adds are gripped. Overall, things were going ok up until now.

Coming out of the add phase, I bait the flare before I am called to stun the adds so I move halfway across the arena to stun them. This is a non-ideal use of sephuz. I also don't keep the minute cycle fully during the transition from the add phase either(I drop the void form at 49 stacks). Additionally, since I took the Decimator trinket for better big add damage(since we were 4-tanking), I do not always dot low small energy adds for the Twist of Fate buff(which I only get off of the small adds twice). Moving on, I make other non-ideal uses of sephuz. I also delay my last void form leading up to the second add phase by a long time so that I can do enough dps on the big adds(again, due to low general dps on the adds we assigned ranged to and also the fact that we are 4-tanking). While a decent gesture, delaying void form by 27 seconds completely resets my ramp going into the add phase.

After the second add phase, there is no lock portal and I run all the way to the other end of the arena where I am out of range of the boss to bait the flairs. I not only lose void form, but I also Lingering Insanity stacks that essentially reset my 60 second ramp. Running back and forth across the arena to bait flairs and reach my assigned spot to spread for the AOE causes me to drop every subsequent void form early and reset the ramp. https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/kDM6tL9XTHwyAGbj#fight=27&view=replay at around the 5:31 mark and beyond you can see the clown fiesta that is my character running all over the arena and it gets particularly sad beyond 6:25. I also get non-ideal sephuz procs after I have dropped out of void form, but it's necessary to mass dispell the adds spawned by the flairs and mechanics>dps.

Ideally, I would stand closer to gripped adds/flair bait areas and consequently I wouldn't have to move so much for tempest either. Despite my pleas over 150+ wipes, the raid leader has completely refused to move me into a better spot since "everyone is used to their spot already". I also don't like dropping my void form for 27 seconds to make sure the big adds die in time. I would also like to dot up a single low energy small add to get Twist of Fate procs whenever possible. I may consider running Norgannon's/Acrid for this fight in the future if I don't need the extra add damage so that I can get Twist of Fate procs without worry, though it is something I would have to test out.

10. Can your PC handle WoW at high effects (Lust, Scorp Room, etc.)?
Yes, however, I have to turn down some raid/bg settings on fights like the Aggrammar add phase.

11. Please include a SS of your raiding UI. IF A KEYBINDING IS NOT SHOWN NO YOUR FRAME, PLEASE EXPLAIN AND list any relevant keybinds not shown in the screenshot. Make sure we can see everything that pops up in a raid, meaning take the SS in combat in LFR or something of the like so we can see your boss mods, timer positioning, WeakAuras, raid frames, etc.

Did late night LFR just for you guys: https://i.imgur.com/f5XRpOm.jpg
I just realized after the fact that I don't have ERT up in the picture. I usually have it in the top left corner or the middle right side, depending on the specific boss WAs I'm using.

12. Tell us a bit about yourself. Age, gender, work/school, hobbies, etc. Add anything else you feel is pertinent.

I am a 24 year old male. I recently graduated with a BS in Electrical Engineering and a BA in Mathematics, and I currently have a full time R&D job as an electrical engineer. I like watching LCS despite the fact that I no longer enjoy playing LoL. I like to play a bunch of different classes and this is the first tier where I've seriously played shadow priest, so I'm still learning the best practices. While more punishing than most other specs, I fucking love the way void form works and in playing shadow I've had probably the most fun time in my WoW career. In addition my shadow priest, I enjoy playing my windwalker monk. The parses aren't orange yet(https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... /oneechann) since I just got my BiS legendaries on it recently and it is still missing some heroic tier, but it is a spec I am willing to play as an alt heading into BFA. I also shitpost and meme a lot.

13. Out-of-game contact information - Discord tag, Battle.net ID, etc. Some way we can contact you besides these forums.

Discord: feyrisnyan#0407
Battle.net: CHIEFxKEEF#1636
Last edited by feyrisnyan on Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Professor

Re: Feyrisnyan-Shadow Priest

Postby Palin » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:30 am

Hey Feryris, thanks so much for the super detailed application and your interest with us. You definitely went out of your way to write up an impressive app with a great analysis of your logs and how you can improve.

I'll be honest your raid experience (no end boss prog this tier since Helya post-nerf, and then nothing since TBC before it) and current logs aren't quite what we're looking for in a potential Trial pickup. Your good parses have nice analysis to them, but there's inconsistency with the others around it that worries us. It sounds like you have a solid idea of the issues that plague you - the question I would have is how are you taking action to rectify these issues? Identifying is the first step, but do you have tactics or plans of actions to get yourself better at maintaining dots on offtargets, minimizing movement, etc?

Thanks in advance!

Postby feyrisnyan » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:59 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'm honestly surprised you didn't just throw the app out of the window straight away due to the low parses. I noticed I'd made a few typos. After all, Golganneth is totally Norgannon I swear :^)

The biggest thing I can do to improve my performance is actually do the bosses again beyond the first couple of weeks. I hadn't been brought in for felhounds for around 2 months before my most recent(and top) parse, and despite not remembering the exact windows where I could run and re-apply dots to the other boss, I was well on pace for a high purple/low orange parse before I had to completely drop my dps and reset the 60 second ramp during the execute phase. If you look through my kill logs you will see that most of my logs are generally old. Despite not being brought in for non-progression bosses, I still attend and stay in discord for the four hours in case someone drops for any reason.

In all honesty though, for most of the bosses, I do not see myself every getting more than high green/low blue parses if I keep going along with our raids strats. For some fights like Eonar and Imonar, things will die faster and I will not reach high enough stacks of void form due to the nature of the fight. For other fights, I do not see myself getting into the purple/orange range if I'm only in for the first 1-3 kills and am not brought in when the whole raid(including myself) has gotten its shit together after a sequence of improvements. In a sad way, I'm stuck in perma-progression parse land with deaths/extraneous mechanics getting in the way that wouldn't be the case given later kill dates and more kills. The guild started extending as soon as a majority of players(25-30) were geared up and I was simply not given a chance to show marked improvement. Shadow as a spec is very punishing, and under the assumption that the strats don't go out of their way to screw me, it usually requires acclimation to not only mechanics(although that happens naturally in progression given enough pulls), but raid dps/phase change timers.

There's a reason that I get brought along for progression bosses despite being sat for pretty much every farm boss and it's not because I'm grill(since that is apparently a requirement to be an officer). I'm brought in for progression bosses over other players in the guild who have generally much better parses than me, and it's because I'm competent enough to avoid damage+do mechanics+outperform most of them during the early struggles.

- - - - - - HERE BEGINS THE SALT - - - - - -

On a much saltier note, I'd like to take this moment to re-emphasize how our raids strats have been seemingly designed to actively screw me over with a picture of my ramp from the Gorothi log I linked:

The ramp in this image includes heroism on pull, and without it, the climb would be much steeper below the 30 second point. Every single time my raid group's suboptimal strat has caused me to drop void form early reset my ramp pretty much back down to 0. This is a net loss of >30% dps in a single minute of a single target fight if I drop it before using void torrent/mindbender. It is a more significant loss for the next minute if I drop it afterwards and need to spend extra time re-syncing.

Whether it's needing to bait all imp casts into melee on Portal Keeper, running orbs on Portal Keeper, not getting placed near the group with the warlock gate on Kingaroth, being placed next to the tanks/behind tempest on Aggramar but also needing to run all the way across the map and back repeatedly during P3, etc.

As I type this I know these may come off as excuses, and I know that there are always going to be fights with mechanics that need to be done and somebody needs to do them(I have not once complained about always doing pods on High Command). But I believe for a fact that these situations will inhibit any shadow priest from performing too much better than me. When I show replays to other shadow priests I know in other guilds, they often laugh at the absurdity of the things our raid leader makes shadow priests do.

Although baiting imps in melee on Portal Keeper was a personal decision I actively made, I have made my objections+suggestions regarding positioning and mechanic management and I have mostly fallen on deaf ears.

Having said that, I'm perfectly ok with sacrificing for the betterment of the raid, and I don't even get too bothered when interrupts/silences are given to other players over me(despite sephuz procs being almost universally better on my spec at any time).

- - - - - - HERE ENDS(MOST OF) THE SALT - - - - - -

At this point in time, on all the bosses we have killed, from my perspective the only boss I can noticeably improve on from my end alone is Coven. I alluded to this in the opening of my post but during the past couple of Coven kills and the first Aggramar kill I was almost completely bed-ridden due to health issues and I had to take over 3 weeks off from work. I still made my way to my chair though and chugged along because the raid needed me, but the late raiding did contribute to my slow recovery. Despite all that I did improve dot uptime on adds, but I need to still work on staying in the middle the whole time and not going all the way to the other end of the arena opposite to the boss. If I wasn't on the verge of passing out those nights, I could have actually used my mouse and keyboard buttons as fast as I needed to.

I mentioned this in my application, but a bit over a month or two ago I started talking with another shadow priest who pretty much gave me the hookup for magic sim and little tidbits of information that are not readily available. I noticed that I was struggling in void form when switching targets, but I didn't know exactly why until he told me about the mind bender "bug". I had previously asked in the H2P discord, but the only responses I'd gotten suggested I was botching up my GCDs somehow when I knew that I wasn't.

I started using mouseover dots at all times around a month ago. I was hesitant to use them at first out of fear of dotting incorrect targets, but it's been pretty easy to adjust to and I don't notice it too much now.

As a general plan, I will do a bit more PVP content to start getting used to mouseovers on every ability and not just my dots; I haven't ever used mouseovers for voidbolt and mind blast but there on instances on fights like Varimathras where it would be advantageous in a situation where for whatever reason the shadow priest needs to kill the add.

All of this may come off as a long winded rambling, and I know a guild of your caliber probably only accepts straight +90% parses.

I know that my lack of endgame Legion experience doesn't come off well at all. Although I stopped raiding with <One Hundred Proof> midway through Nighthold, I was the melee dps captain and apparently the only Havoc DH that tier that didn't give up without good leggos and managed generally blue parses with KJ+Prydaz(warcraft logs is throwing an Unhandled Exception on the log page for it and I will update this post with logs for Onéésama-Sargeras if it actually works in the near future). I would probably be raiding Antorus with them if the guild hadn't completely disbanded in my absence. The guild managed CE Gul'dan after two raid rebuilds after 7.1.5 and for a while was the best 2 night guild on Sargeras.

I'm still fairly new to shadow priest, and although I've learned an immense amount about the spec in one raid tier, I didn't expect to suddenly become a god. I can simply stay with my current guild, stop attending half the raids, and still end up getting Cutting Edge and a mount anyways. But I'd like to get a headstart in finding a more competitive guild for BFA where I don't have to play around poor strats and poor leadership. A guild where I can actually get pushed for performance and a group where not just a few players, but the entire guild and leadership want to push for efficiency.

I may have made some typos along the way but I haven't had much time to proofread this. I'd like to thank you for bearing with me and taking the time to read my application and this post.
The Professor

Postby Palin » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:39 pm

Hi again Feryn, thanks so much for your response. I can tell this means a lot to you and you put a lot of efforts into a thoughtful reply, and we appreciate that.

Ultimately the things you've pointed out are the reasons we're going to need to unfortunately pass on your application at this time. The takeaway from your logs and analysis is that you're somewhat still very green at playing a ranged in a progression setting, especially one as punishing as Spriest. You're probably a good player but at this level your mastery of the class isn't something we're looking for in prospective Trials at this time. While we don't have a bar of "90s or better only" there's a lot o growth you still have to do with the spec and/or Ranged DPS all together. Your strategies could absolutely be better and that's a large part of it with any class, but its not all of it. Even something like breaking down your P3 on Agrammar shows gaps in your decision making that aren't because of strategy or mechanics:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/kD ... d=12779400

That timeline is 35 seconds of dropping out of Voidform and not casting anything on the boss except 2 SW:Ps. I know it's near the end of the boss fight and you were baiting Flares but there's a large amount of panic and uncertainty about what to do in a hectic situation there that belies some of your struggles with the class still.

No doubt you'd continue to improve with more time working on it and environment that can maximize Spriest damage (not with stupid strats like baiting Imps, that's not how Portal Keeper's Transport Portal even works lol...) but unfortunately we are in a position to be picky with Trials and are not really looking for projects at this time. We are looking for people with a bit more mastery of their class/spec/role to step in and continue to push on farm while being ready to go in BFA. So at this time we're going to have to unfortunately pass on your application. If you feel you gain a better mastery of your class down the line into the summer and wish to reapply then with better results to report, feel free.

Thanks again for your interest and all your detailed responses. Best of luck and take care.

Return to “Applications”