Santhian - Affliction Warlock

Want to join? Post your application here.

Moderator: Officer

Santhian

Santhian - Affliction Warlock

Postby Santhian » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:20 am

1. Character name, Server
Santhian, Moon Guard

2. Class, Race, and Spec (and Artifact Level)
Warlock, Troll, and Affliction (77)

3. Link to an Armory profile, and an explanation of anything that may not be readily apparent from your Armory profile (alternate sets of gear, currently PvP-specced, etc.)
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... d/santhian

4. What are your usual playing hours? Are there days/times when you are consistently unavailable? Inform us of your daily work/school schedule, what time do you get home from work/school, and what time must you be in bed for the next day. Are you able to make our raid times in general? Is this availability going to change within the next few months, or with a change in Semester (if applicable)?
I don't have a life. At no point are things going to change for me. If they do, I'll make sure the fit the raid schedule more than anything else.

5. Discuss your prior endgame raiding experience. Specify your experience with Heroic/Mythic in previous content as well as your experience in the current tier.
From SoO through Highmaul I hit my peak with being in a guild called "Blood Runs Cold" We had kills ranging from US 12th-4th in both 10m heroic SoO, and Highmaul mythic. That guild was kinda my family, so when they disbanded, I took an extended break. Proof of this can be provided if wanted.
What is considered "relevant" content can be somewhat subjective due to the beginning of the tier being massively different than the end of the tier, with that said, I'll try to mention any kills that happened at the end of the tier.

(Wrath)
Naxx 10/25 - cleared
Ulduar 10/25 - cleared (Yogg zero light was cleared towards the end of ICC.)
ToC 10/25h - cleared (Only got close to not attempts lost on Anub in 10 man, this was also near the end of the tier.)
ICC 10/25h - cleared (LK didn't die until pre-patch for Cata.)

(Cata)
-Took a break until MoP-

(MoP)
Vaults 10h - cleared
HoF 10h - cleared
Toes 10h - (Killed up Sha, but guild choked really badly on it. Never got cutting edge.)
ToT 10h - cleared
SoO 10/25h - cleared (10m having several 4-12 US kills in it. Swapped to 20m with Wod pre-patch.)

(WoD)
Highmaul 20 - Same kinda of rankings as SoO 10m. Guild died after vodka beat us to server first Mor'gok mythic.
-Guild disbanded. Quit the game until half way through ToS in Legion-

(Legion)
As stated, didn't come back until half way through ToS.
ToS 20 - 7/9m
Antorus - 4/11m

6. Why do you want to leave your current guild? Why do you want to join us? Specifically, what interests you in our band of merry idiots?
Leaving my current guild due to a borderline psychopath GM, and a guild where it's in the minority of people wanting to better themselves. You guys are well progressed, as well as not split-raiding, and holding to your raid schedule. Obviously it's always somewhat of a mixed bag if you'll like the personalities within, but you guys seem really solid, and a good fit for what I'm looking for.

7. Give us some info on your class knowledge and self performance analysis in this section:

7a. What is your general action priority? Opener and neutral game, and any special CDs?
Single Target - Pre-pot, Agony, Corruption, Siphon Life, Berserking, Unstable Unstable Affliction until out of soul shards, Reap Souls, Soul Harvest, Drain Soul. Hope for 2set procs, and drain until all three dots are expiring. Once out of burst, try to maintain one Unstable Affliction as best as possible, and try to build your resources back up. At 4+ Deadwind Harvester stacks, consume them and be a lot more liberal with your UA use. Wanting to fit as many UAs in the window of your Reap Souls without dropping to zero. A slight side-note. 4set T21 is more of the same to be honest. Just make sure that your keeping 100% uptime on it, and try not to clip if it possible.
Exceptions for single target - If there is an add, or several smalls add that spawn near the beginning, hold Soul Harvest to get an increase duration
If using Soul of the Netherlord, try to hold those built up resources until 35%. Your rotation becomes a lot more about having three stages. A beginning phase (burst), a middle phase (resource building), end phase (35% or lower).

Cleave - These kinds of fights are assumed to be things like Mistress Sassz'ine, or Antorus High Command. Your job is mostly to spread dots between everything, and is a lot less about exhausting your resources right off the bat, and more dumping as many UAs as you can into the boss, or the then important target due to how many soul shards you're getting some your snipes. Making sure to maintain a constant 4set T21 by making sure agony is applied to all targets, and you're pre-casting Seed of Corruption when the adds are spawning within ~2-3 seconds.

AoE - There are two kinds of AoE fights for Affliction. Your Desolate Hosts, and your Eonars. The difference between these fights is Desolate Host like encounters are much, much more about keeping a constant stream of your dots on the targets. Eonar on the other-hand is much more about kinda turning your brain off and shoving as many seeds out as possible with sow talented while trying to min-max benefits towards your seeds. Namely banish on Eonar to get Sephuz's procs.

7b. What resources and practices do you use to keep up with your class and maximizing your DPS/HPS/Surivability?
I'm pretty religiously on Warcraftlogs. Looking at the actual text, or just the replays of other people. Outside of that, my normal places I get info is the Warlock Discord which is insanely active and is life-saver in many instances, as well as the tried-and-true simming.

7c. How do you prioritize gear upgrades? What stats do you prioritize, how do you choose between ilvl upgrades that don't have your preferred stats, etc.? Are there any legos you don't have that you're shooting for?
Biggest stats I'm looking for are Mastery/Haste. Although haste is valued higher more times than not, this is purely for single-target. More often than not you'll see people stacking mastery though. With the two being kinda close together for single-target, mastery is double-downed on really hard each time an add, or second boss is in a fight. With that said, haste stacking Affliction Locks aren't unheard of. I'll show stat values under this.
Haste 50.31
Mastery 45.05
Crit 41.42
Vers 35.27
Int 24.97
With T20 2set being garbage, and Hood of Eternal Disdain being as strong as it is, we're basically in a situation of trying to find the highest ilvl Haste/Mastery, or close to item, and fitting ilvl tier around that one piece of gear. Name, we would want that off-piece to be shoulders, but you can't always be perfect.
By dealing with certain items that don't have the stats you want, you try to maximize how much of that stat you do want. This is generally because that item with a bad stat on you, allows you to wear stuff with the thing you want, or it has one of your good stats on it in abundance
I also have every Affliction lego.

7d. What fights in the current tier do you swap Talents and Legendaries to something different than the norm? What do you swap and why? Feel free to list on a boss per boss basis.
Affliction is kinda insane about this. What is currently used could change within the next week, and we swap legos, and talents for every boss. Most fights don't change from heroic to mythic, but I'll mention if they do in the list itself.
The only exception for something that is always a constant, is going to be Hood of Eternal Disdain. Hood is used for 99% of the raid, and is going to be mentioned a ton.

Garothi: Super standard setup or Hood+Lego of choice with MG/SL turret single-target build. No adds outside of cannons that die super faster, and not enough moving to warrant switching MG for writhe.
Doggos: Again, pretty standard. This is just a normal twins fight. Get your Hood+Corruption ring. Talent setup is going to be writhe, AC, SL. This is pretty easy stuff, just keep your Agony at 15 stacks, and SL up 100%, and make sure your 4set is rolling at all times.
High Command: This is the same exact setup as Felhounds, but instead you're going to change out SL for DE. General idea if to keep your dots rolling on everything, and soul-sniping every add possible. Spam UA into the boss as hard as can and try to starve yourself of soul shards. You'll get a ton from sniping.
Eonar: This is one of, if not the only fight where hood is useless. Two ring set-up is done here with corruption ring/sephuz's. Talents are Write, AC, Sow, and SC, although DE is viable. Idea here is to get as much uptime on Sephuz's by banishing, and unbanishing a felguard to proc Sephuz's and spamming seed. Corruption ring also makes dealing with the bats somewhat trivial as it puts a perma-slow on them AC being talented.
Portal Keeper: This is a pretty unique fight, as well as being a Aff Lock favorite. Spec into Writhe, Contagion, HoT, SH, PS, DE. Legos are going to be you putting that hood back on as well Sephuz's. Your job here is extremely straight-forward, you want to make sure PS is on the boss as Transport Portal comes out, cleaving on all of the imps as they come out. It can also be thrown on the healthier minions that come out, IE the spider and the dog. Proc Sephuz's using HoT or just Shadow Locking one. Makes it extremely easy to soul-snipe the imps, and dump all your UAs into the boss.
Imonar: Pretty bog standard single-target fight. Swapping back into MG/SL turret talents. Legos are generally just hood+lego of choice. One interesting thing about this fight is that Soul of the Nethlord isn't awful here due to people lusting at the end, and giving it more value.
Kin'garoth: Standard turret setup again. Hood+lego of choice.
Vari: Standard single-target turret setup. Only difference here is between heroic and mythic. Your lego of choice becomes a bit more narrowed down to Soul of the Netherlord getting value out of Shadow of Varimathras in mythic.
*From here out, I don't know everything about why people use the setups they do on these fights. So I'll be sticking to my knowledge of why they're used on heroic.*
Coven: Coven is a pretty straight forward cleave fight. It's easy to just put on hood+corruption ring. Ontop of again, talents are pretty simple of writhe, ac, DE being the ones you swap into. SL isn't generally good on this fight because of the time you spend dotting up the adds as well. Normally just better to use DE.
Aggramar: Aggramar is is a fight I would need to get used to know exactly why people use what they use on mythic, as stated above of being not 100% sure about this fight. On heroic, it's a fight where we get to abuse sephuz's again. Hood+sephuz's makes being on banish duty a turn into a chore, into having another DPS cooldown. It's not a must to have sephuz's here, as beside hood, you can use your lego of choice here. Talents are yet again going to be standard turret talents, but people have being using DE a lot more here because of adds and lust in P3.
Argus: Another fight were soul of the netherlord isn't terrible. With P4 being lust phase, as well as getting titanforged, it gives it a ton of value. Ontop of this the mass amount of adds, and damage increases makes it really solid. Although, like Aggramar, it's easy to also warrant changing it out for things like sephuz's, belt, prydaz, basically any lego that is your best sim lego. Besides that talents are normal turret spec with SC thrown in there sometimes. This is because the fight is in bursts. The add phases, P4, P1 with buff stacks. All these moments are pretty good for just dumping UAs into Argus.

7e. How do you analyze your performance on a new fight and figure out how/what you can improve on next week? Don't just say you use logs and compare to others of your class - what specifically are you looking for when you have a good/bad parse?
Like I've mentioned before, I'm pretty religious when it comes to logs. Even if I'm doing great on a fight, I'm constantly looking through text logs, and looking at replays of both high parsing players, and myself if I felt like I was playing poorly. When it comes to replays, I'm basically clicking on the person in question, may it be a lock I know to be constantly insane, and seeing exactly what spells they're casting, and when. On the flip side, I can take that info, and bring it back to a Twitch vod of myself, or even a log of my own replay to see how different I'm doing that.
Outside of that, I have streamed/recorded my footage before, and have gone back to look over possible mistakes I could be making in my opener. It's extremely easy to piece out what you're doing wrong when you watch yourself.
Ontop of all of that, I feel like WoW is mostly based on a level of self-awareness. This isn't Quake, or Starcraft, in that what makes you better is insane twitch reflexes, or insane micromanaging. WoW is more about absorbing as much information as you can, and being extremely open-minded about it. It's a game about knowing things, and a lot of that comes back to kicking your pride down and self-reflecting on what you could possibly be doing wrong.

8. Please include your character log report showcasing your performance on the relevant bosses of the tier. If your logs are private, please change your Warcraftlogs login and list the username/password here so we can access your logs. If you aren't comfortable listing it publicly, please PM it to Palin privately on these forums. Please remember to change your WCL login again a few days later after we've reviewed your application.
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... d/santhian

9. Of the above logs, please do a quick analysis of what fights you did well on, what went wrong on certain fights, etc. Use this chance to explain any context behind good/bad logs.
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/QZ ... amage-done - In one of my post recent parses from an Antorus High Command, I fill the roll of trying to pump as much damage onto adds, and boss and ignore dotting the bats as the come out. I take the time to soul-snipe them due to their incredibly low health pools. That mixed with all the adds that spawn naturally, it's extremely easy to do insane damage from just soul sniping, and soul harvest extending. I feel like I played it pretty well.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/6x ... amage-done - Although it's just heroic, and it's still a "decent" parse, I couldn't help but get frustrated at this. I honestly wasn't sure how people were procing Sephuz's on Eonar. Watch a Warcraftlogs replay, and realize how stupid I was for not realizing they were using banish. Excited that I had figured this out, I took it into heroic, tried to banish a bat and realized they couldn't be hard CC'd. All-in-all, not my brightest our.

10. Can your PC handle WoW at high effects (Lust, Scorp Room, etc.)?
Yes. I just play with my particles turned all the way up, and everything else turned all the way down. Helps me get 144 frames in, and out of raid.

11. Please include a SS of your raiding UI. IF A KEYBINDING IS NOT SHOWN NO YOUR FRAME, PLEASE EXPLAIN AND list any relevant keybinds not shown in the screenshot. Make sure we can see everything that pops up in a raid, meaning take the SS in combat in LFR or something of the like so we can see your boss mods, timer positioning, WeakAuras, raid frames, etc.
https://i.imgur.com/RByNhK7.png
https://i.imgur.com/dh6Zmxu.png
https://i.imgur.com/70FXfKm.png

The only keybind that's not showing up is my banish. It's keybound to shift-3.

12. Tell us a bit about yourself. Age, gender, work/school, hobbies, etc. Add anything else you feel is pertinent.
I'm a 21 year old dude. I've spent nealy my entire teenage years, and adulthood playing games as a living. May it be under the table or under the banner of an official org, I've always just made it my job to be good at video games. In Overwatch is where I peaked, being signed under a couple of official names, and play with, and against orgs like Liquid, C9, Dignitas, you name. If you can think of the org, I probably played with, and against them at some point. Went to a couple of LANs, and yeah. Now I'm just wanting to go back the game I hold closest to my heart, like going to get McNuggets at 1 in the morning. Besides that, I just kinda play other games on the side with my GF, or my brother. Namely D3, Killing Floor 1 and 2, Battlerite, some Overwatch, you name it.

13. Out-of-game contact information - Discord tag, Battle.net ID, etc. Some way we can contact you besides these forums.
Discord - Tanner#0116
Bnet - klol#11373
Palin
The Professor

Re: Santhian - Affliction Warlock

Postby Palin » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:15 am

Hi Santhian, thanks for your interest with us and taking the time to write out a super detailed application. Appreciate all the time and effort you put into this.

I'm curious the math behind your love for the Hood lego. It's definitely one of the BiS but using it on every fight seems like pigeonholing yourself and losing flexibility. For example a fight like Antoran High Command or Portal Keeper where you are swimming in shards, the extra shard generation from Hood is relatively minor. On High Command you could argue rarely need more Shard generation and are better off pumping your stats via something like Prydaz (although I do see you have a 985 neck).

Portal Keeper even moreso seems like a waste for the Hood as you only really Agony one target at the time that fight. Looking your kill with rough napkin math the Helm probably gave you about 6 more shards and 23mil extra Agony damage - I'd argue taking Soul Conduit and using Prydaz/Netherlord would provide easily more Shards and damage via extra UA. Granted this does mean you need a decent helm to replace the Hood and if you don't its obviously not worth it, but I'm just curious if you've mathed this out.

Haste 50.31
Mastery 45.05
Crit 41.42
Vers 35.27
Int 24.97

How were these stat weights generated and under what conditions?

One interesting thing about this fight is that Soul of the Nethlord isn't awful here due to people lusting at the end, and giving it more value.

Wouldn't Lusting at the end devalue the power of Death's Embrace due to a quicker end of the Execute phase?

Portal Keeper: This is a pretty unique fight, as well as being a Aff Lock favorite. Spec into Writhe, Contagion, HoT, SH, PS, DE. Legos are going to be you putting that hood back on as well Sephuz's. Your job here is extremely straight-forward, you want to make sure PS is on the boss as Transport Portal comes out, cleaving on all of the imps as they come out. It can also be thrown on the healthier minions that come out, IE the spider and the dog. Proc Sephuz's using HoT or just Shadow Locking one. Makes it extremely easy to soul-snipe the imps, and dump all your UAs into the boss.

How do you make sure you are getting max Souls/WoC stacks from the staggered Imp spawns on Portal Keeper?

Thanks in advance!
Santhian

Postby Santhian » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:21 pm

Hey, Palin!

I'm curious the math behind your love for the Hood lego. It's definitely one of the BiS but using it on every fight seems like pigeonholing yourself and losing flexibility. For example a fight like Antoran High Command or Portal Keeper where you are swimming in shards, the extra shard generation from Hood is relatively minor. On High Command you could argue rarely need more Shard generation and are better off pumping your stats via something like Prydaz (although I do see you have a 985 neck).

I am a little confused by this. Did you mean the belt? The Hood gets to max agony stacks quicker, and makes agony tick faster. It mixed with 4set makes it a lot stronger, and it was already strong before. I also don't have in-depth math outside of it being the best simming lego across the board, as well as being used by every single lock. It's just kinda broken right now. I also don't use Prydaz for that exact reason. My rolled a pretty nuts neck.

Portal Keeper even moreso seems like a waste for the Hood as you only really Agony one target at the time that fight. Looking your kill with rough napkin math the Helm probably gave you about 6 more shards and 23mil extra Agony damage - I'd argue taking Soul Conduit and using Prydaz/Netherlord would provide easily more Shards and damage via extra UA. Granted this does mean you need a decent helm to replace the Hood and if you don't its obviously not worth it, but I'm just curious if you've mathed this out.

I probably should have waited until I woke up a bit more before replying, I completely missed this part. With adds dying as quick as they do, it's mostly just a single-target fight that increased damage from WoC and bumped up shards from soul-sniping. Hoods raw single-target damage that it provides is just too high to warrant taking it off. I also haven't mapped it out to that extent, in truth kinda of going off logs, as well as an assumption of how strong hood is. I'll admit both of those things are bad habits though.

How were these stat weights generated and under what conditions?

They're just sims on a generic patchwerk simmed fight. It's far from the only thing I look at when trying to net what to look for with stats. It'll range from simming all type of styles of fights, as well as just simply looking at other locks. I just use patchwerk sims as a bit of a default.

Wouldn't Lusting at the end devalue the power of Death's Embrace due to a quicker end of the Execute phase?

Yeah, I know about the longer 35% lasts, the more damage you can get. There is also value to be had in having 50% increased damage with lust+all the other CDs you saved for lust. In truth, I'm more than okay being wrong about this, but this is the only way I've managed to not go insane with trying to figure out why Soul of the Netherlord performs as well as it does on fights like Imonar where people lust in the ladder phase of the fight. Again, completely okay with being wrong about this, but I am aware of the increased value the ring gets from extended execute phases as well. I've brought this question up in the Warlock Discord before, and never really managed to get a straight answer.

How do you make sure you are getting max Souls/WoC stacks from the staggered Imp spawns on Portal Keeper?

PS pretty much guarantees I always get 5 stacks of WoC when the tank brings the boss over to the portal. With that said, I'll always make sure to hit the last imp as it's spawning out to bump the timer up. Sephuz's proc, and zerking makes not capping shards, and getting more shards a lot easier too. With the haste+movement speed of Sephuz's, it's perfect for weaving UAs between dodging felstorm barrage, as well as managing to snipe souls whenever I managed to dump a UA or two.

Hope those answer your questions. :)
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:52 pm

Thanks for your replies!

I am a little confused by this. Did you mean the belt? The Hood gets to max agony stacks quicker, and makes agony tick faster. It mixed with 4set makes it a lot stronger, and it was already strong before. I also don't have in-depth math outside of it being the best simming lego across the board, as well as being used by every single lock. It's just kinda broken right now. I also don't use Prydaz for that exact reason. My rolled a pretty nuts neck.

Nope I meant hood. It definitely sims well but not ever Lock uses it, there's definitely fights where Belt/Prydaz/Ring are debatable with it depending on offpieces owned. I personally have a 965 Tier helm so it doesn't sim better for me. Even then context is needed, Agony is only a small portion of your damage and a 10% boost on it in ST fights isn't always that useful. Was just curious if you've looked at other options, but in your given situation it seems like Hood makes the most sense anyways.

PS pretty much guarantees I always get 5 stacks of WoC when the tank brings the boss over to the portal. With that said, I'll always make sure to hit the last imp as it's spawning out to bump the timer up. Sephuz's proc, and zerking makes not capping shards, and getting more shards a lot easier too. With the haste+movement speed of Sephuz's, it's perfect for weaving UAs between dodging felstorm barrage, as well as managing to snipe souls whenever I managed to dump a UA or two.

FYI PS damage alone doesn't "tag" mobs for WoC or Souls, for some reason. Sounds like you're drain sniping as often as you can so your Soul Flame is triggering everything around it, which works just as well as long as the one you tag doesn't die far away from others to create the chain reaction.
Santhian

Postby Santhian » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:23 pm

Nope I meant hood. It definitely sims well but not ever Lock uses it, there's definitely fights where Belt/Prydaz/Ring are debatable with it depending on offpieces owned. I personally have a 965 Tier helm so it doesn't sim better for me. Even then context is needed, Agony is only a small portion of your damage and a 10% boost on it in ST fights isn't always that useful. Was just curious if you've looked at other options, but in your given situation it seems like Hood makes the most sense anyways.

I'd agree. There are other options, I'm aware that prydaz/belt is viable. Hood also just sims a crap ton higher than any setup I've ever messed around with. Warcraftlogs kinda of damning as well with how often it's used on every fight outside of one of them.

For example a fight like Antoran High Command or Portal Keeper where you are swimming in shards, the extra shard generation from Hood is relatively minor.

To be honest, this is where I got confused, and why I thought you were talking about belt.

FYI PS damage alone doesn't "tag" mobs for WoC or Souls, for some reason. Sounds like you're drain sniping as often as you can so your Soul Flame is triggering everything around it, which works just as well as long as the one you tag doesn't die far away from others to create the chain reaction.

To be completely honest, I never noticed this. I'm just pretty good about at soul-sniping them as much as possible.

Return to “Applications”