Ante - Shadow Priest

Want to join? Post your application here.

Moderator: Officer

ante

Ante - Shadow Priest

Postby ante » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:18 pm

1. Character name, Server

Ante, Stonemaul

2. Class, Race, and Spec (and Artifact Level)

Priest, Human, Shadow (76)

3. Link to an Armory profile, and an explanation of anything that may not be readily apparent from your Armory profile (alternate sets of gear, currently PvP-specced, etc.)

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... emaul/ante

4. What are your usual playing hours? Are there days/times when you are consistently unavailable? Inform us of your daily work/school schedule, what time do you get home from work/school, and what time must you be in bed for the next day. Are you able to make our raid times in general? Is this availability going to change within the next few months, or with a change in Semester (if applicable)?

Recently moved west to east so currently interviewing for work. I'm an accountant so almost always 9-5 Monday-Friday. Tend to stay up later. My daily schedule will change soon but it will not interfere with raid times.

5. Discuss your prior endgame raiding experience. Specify your experience with Heroic/Mythic in previous content as well as your experience in the current tier.

Legion:
EN - Cleared while current.
TOS - Cleared after NH released.
NH - Cleared while current.
TOS - Cleared while current.
ABT - 5/11M

WoD:
No raiding, mostly pvping with friends casually.

MoP:
Didn't raid this expansion.

Cataclysm:
Mainly raided normal with a small group of friends that became casual after WOTLK.

Wrath:
Naxx - Server first.
Eye of Eternity - Server first.

I ended up stepping back from raiding as I was heading to university and our schedule was 4 or 5 nights a week back then.

Burning Crusade:
Karazhan - Cleared while current.
Gruul's Lair - Cleared while current.
Magtheridon - Cleared while current.
Serpent Shrine Cavern - Cleared up to Lady Vashj.
Tempest Keep - Cleared to KT.

Our team stopped raiding until Wrath at around this time.

Vanilla:
Cleared MC/BWL and some AQ20

6. Why do you want to leave your current guild? Why do you want to join us? Specifically, what interests you in our band of merry idiots?

My current guild does well on a 2-day/6 hour a week schedule but recently our best 2 healers moved on to new guilds and our raider commitment/performance just isn't what I want from my team. From what I've watched and read on Spike Flail the guild seems to keep a healthy raid atmosphere with a high level of player performance which is what I'm looking for. The raid times work out nicely for me as well.

7. Give us some info on your class knowledge and self performance analysis in this section:

7a. What is your general action priority? Opener and neutral game, and any special CDs?

Shadow revolves around maintaining a 60 second voidform cycle. Pull would be pre-cast Mind blast -> Vampiric Touch -> Shadow Word: Pain -> Mind Blast -> Mind Flay -> Mind blast -> Void Eruption. Once in Void form the priority cast list looks like Void Bolt>Mind blast>Mind Flay and keeping insanity as high as possible. Void torrent can be used early in voidform or at around 23-25 stacks just before mindbender to keep a healthy amount of insanity to maintain voidform. Mindbender at 27-32 voidform stacks depending on movement/current insanity and void tendril procs (later if you have tendrils generating insanity for you).

7b. What resources and practices do you use to keep up with your class and maximizing your DPS/HPS/Surivability?

Priests are spoiled in that the how2priest discord has very dedicated theorycrafters providing great information for shadow priests. I often interact with this discord to keep up with current practices. Simcraft and Magicsim (a version of simcraft created to give a composite stat weight based on each tier's encounters) are tools I use to min/max gear. Survivability comes from having a good understanding of the mythic encounter before progression and knowing mechanics to plan movement in a proactive manner. I typically watch class specific PoVs of mythic fights ahead of time to make my life easier.

7c. How do you prioritize gear upgrades? What stats do you prioritize, how do you choose between ilvl upgrades that don't have your preferred stats, etc.? Are there any legos you don't have that you're shooting for?

See above for gear upgrades. To elaborate more, spriests need roughly 15-17k haste depending on Fiending Dark traits (each trait is worth roughly 500 haste) after that it is all crit. Haste levels can be manipulated depending on fight comfort and movement with the goal being to maintain the 60 second voidform cycle.

7d. What fights in the current tier do you swap Talents and Legendaries to something different than the norm? What do you swap and why? Feel free to list on a boss per boss basis.

Shadow priests almost always run Sephuz and Mangaza's Madness as they massively help with the haste levels required and keeping high insanity generation. Eonar would be an exception where you can run the chest/sephuz which helps with our burst AoE to kill the packs quicker. Also, in the Eonar encounter it would be very difficult and not optimal to try to use mindbender and maintain the voidform cycle. Talents would also change from what my armory shows to Void ray/Misery/Shadow crash.

7e. How do you analyze your performance on a new fight and figure out how/what you can improve on next week? Don't just say you use logs and compare to others of your class - what specifically are you looking for when you have a good/bad parse?

I typically look at voidform uptime with ~90% being ideal. If I fell out of voidform early I look at mechanic timings and see if I didn't plan movement properly or got caught in a mechanic and had to disperse when I otherwise should not have. If the fight has adds i'll check if dotted or shadow word: death sniped the adds to have high Twist of Fate uptime if they died quickly(portal keeper) or if I maintained both dots on longer living adds (felguards on High Command).

8. Please include your character log report showcasing your performance on the relevant bosses of the tier. If your logs are private, please change your Warcraftlogs login and list the username/password here so we can access your logs. If you aren't comfortable listing it publicly, please PM it to Palin privately on these forums. Please remember to change your WCL login again a few days later after we've reviewed your application.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... emaul/ante

9. Of the above logs, please do a quick analysis of what fights you did well on, what went wrong on certain fights, etc. Use this chance to explain any context behind good/bad logs.

- Garothi could be better by timing the transition to the weapons with disperse to not fall out of voidform early but that fight is a bit of a joke.

- Felhounds our tanks are all over the place so my dot uptimes could be better by planning movement in between mechanics.

- High command is mostly add pad damage so if I can convince the RL to let only me do the add damage I'll get the 100%.

- Eonar I need to be at the larger packs of adds earlier to parse better.

- My portal keeper parse is perhaps inflated since I was able to stay down the entire time on my best kill. Otherwise, trying to maintain voidforms while transitioning through portals would be key to a decent parse (common theme..?)

I can also flex to Holy if needed.. My weapon is sitting at 71 but I could be mythic raid ready if needed for specific encounters.

10. Can your PC handle WoW at high effects (Lust, Scorp Room, etc.)?

It does well. Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.40GHz, GTX 970, 16 Gigs of RAM

11. Please include a SS of your raiding UI. IF A KEYBINDING IS NOT SHOWN NO YOUR FRAME, PLEASE EXPLAIN AND list any relevant keybinds not shown in the screenshot. Make sure we can see everything that pops up in a raid, meaning take the SS in combat in LFR or something of the like so we can see your boss mods, timer positioning, WeakAuras, raid frames, etc.

https://imgur.com/a/ACYHD

12. Tell us a bit about yourself. Age, gender, work/school, hobbies, etc. Add anything else you feel is pertinent.

27, Male, Accountant, Gym & other games (CSGO, LoL relatively competitive)

My raiding experience looks spotty I'll admit but my earlier raiding was during high school/early university so I couldn't commit the time. My schedule now is much more routine and a few nights of raiding later in the evening are very rarely conflicted. Thanks for taking the time to read through this.

13. Out-of-game contact information - Discord tag, Battle.net ID, etc. Some way we can contact you besides these forums.

Woundedchair#1151
Palin
The Professor

Re: Ante - Shadow Priest

Postby Palin » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:00 pm

Hi Ante, thanks so much for your interest with us and taking the time to apply. We appreciate you taking time out of your holidays to work on this.

A few quick questions:

-Was looking through your logs and didn't see you in Imonar pulls at all - did you end up doing any progression with your crew on him? Either way, how do you foresee managing your VF uptime best due to the constant phase changes?

-Looking ahead to Kin'Garoth, how do you foresee maxing damage on Robot phases? Since the adds have extra damage taken at the start that ramps down, its imperative to go into it with max DPS setup in the early 10s of each Robot Phase. Any thoughts on how you'll approach that?

-Quick UI question, do you have emphasized timers somewhere closer to the middle of your screen when <10s? Or are they all in that last to the right of your target frame?

Thanks in advance!
ante

Postby ante » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:23 pm

Hey Palin,

- We managed to get the Immonar kill this evening. Prior pulls I was holy, last minute got asked to play disc. First mythic raid healing as disc was interesting. VF uptime is going to rely on playing well within each bridge session so being spread for the sleep cannister, mass dispelling for sephuz, etc.

- To maximize damage on kin ideally you'd delay voidform ~5 seconds, dot the purple add then lock gate with dispersion to your assigned add pop bender and pretend you do burst damage as a shadow priest.

- My <10 second timers are above my WA cluster on the middle left normally.

Thanks,
Ante
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:41 am

Thanks for your replies!

- To maximize damage on kin ideally you'd delay voidform ~5 seconds, dot the purple add then lock gate with dispersion to your assigned add pop bender and pretend you do burst damage as a shadow priest.

I had similar attempts on Lock and determined the travel time and loss of uptime on the main target not worth the extra DoTs it due to the depreciating damage taken debuff on the robots. Any way you'd math it or determine whether the multidot is worth it vs just starting to unload on the main target earlier?
ante

Postby ante » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:29 am

I can see that as a lock and dumping UAs into that window/having usable CDs. Minimizing the travel time would be important and you'd need to get there quickly but overall I'm 95% sure it would be best. If i was there on progression I'd simply try each way but those I've spoken with have had the most success dotting both at the start.
Enragedklown

Postby Enragedklown » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:05 pm

Who did you raid with in WotLK?
ante

Postby ante » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:16 pm

Animosity, same core that I raided with in TBC. I think we were on Sen'jin at the time or maybe Eitrigg.

Return to “Applications”