Kidpain - Holy/Disc Priest

Want to join? Post your application here.

Moderator: Officer

Kidpain

Kidpain - Holy/Disc Priest

Postby Kidpain » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:01 pm

1. Character name, Server
Kidpain, Mal’ganis

2. Class, Race, and Spec (and Artifact Level)
Priest, Goblin, Holy (Artifact 70) & Disc (Artifact 67)

3. Link to an Armory profile, and an explanation of anything that may not be readily apparent from your Armory profile (alternate sets of gear, currently PvP-specced, etc.)
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... is/kidpain

I often do high mythic plus (in Disc or shadow) so my spec and gear may change for that. For m+ disc healing, I take Grace and Mindbender, and use Prydaz instead of Velens. I often world quest in shadow.

4. What are your usual playing hours? Are there days/times when you are consistently unavailable? Inform us of your daily work/school schedule, what time do you get home from work/school, and what time must you be in bed for the next day. Are you able to make our raid times in general? Is this availability going to change within the next few months, or with a change in Semester (if applicable)?

I generally play in a lot of my free time in the evenings after work and a lot during the weekends when I have a lot of free time. I work a M-F 8-5 job roughly (flex hours) while taking 1 or 2 classes a semester to work towards a Master’s Degree. I typically get home 5-6 pm server. I generally go to sleep 11:15 to 11:30 server to try and get a decent amount of sleep before the next day of work. I can make raid days (they are the raid days of my current guild, Calculated). The only exception is holidays where I travel to visit family or work trips. I have a laptop I can play on but it is getting too old to really handle playing WoW. Work trips are never really planned far in advance (couple weeks), and I am generally gone for 3-4 days. So far, I have had to go on 2 work trips over the past 2 years.

5. Discuss your prior endgame raiding experience. Specify your experience with Heroic/Mythic in previous content as well as your experience in the current tier.

In Mists of Pandaria, I raided in the guild Protect the Lumber as a holy paladin (Ptlchansey). Protect the Lumber was a 10 man guild that ended around US 100 for Throne of Thunder and Siege of Orgrimmar. At the end of MoP, I quit playing WoW as my friends had quit playing as well.

For Legion, I started raiding again. At the beginning, I played a Brewmaster/Windwalker monk in a guild with a bunch of friends, we did not progress very far. We killed the first few bosses on mythic in EN. After a while, my group of friends merged with another guild to form Sponsored (which name changed to Calculated). Sponsored was formed 3 or 4 weeks before Nighthold launch. After the guild merge, I took over the role of raid leader for the guild and transitioned to shadow priest midway through Nighthold. Sponsored finished US 250 after killing mythic Gul’dan.

For Tomb of Sargeras, the guild name changed to Calculated. We are currently 7/9M with about 150 pulls on Mythic Avatar. I transitioned to a healing role during Mistress progression due to multiple healer burnout. I have mostly played Holy, since I find it easier to play while raid leading. I have been playing Disc the last few weeks and playing Disc for Avatar progression.

6. Why do you want to leave your current guild? Why do you want to join us? Specifically, what interests you in our band of merry idiots?

Calculated is falling apart and will be disbanding the raiding team at the end of this week. There has been a large turnover of personnel, with a large number of the better players leaving for other guilds. With all the roster issues and lack of enthusiasm from officers and raiders, the guild can no longer keep together.

Spike Flail interests me from two different perspectives. The first is after having a brief conversation with Azurri about a raider from our guild aping to Spike Flail and their personality a couple months ago. After a few minutes of dialog, he was able to understand what I was trying to describe as the raider’s personality and how he would interact in a raid group. From my time as an officer and raid leader, I have seen what poor understanding of individual’s personalities can do to a raid atmosphere. I feel a strong officer core is the biggest key to a guild’s success. If there is good leadership, good players will come to play there, and my limited interaction with this guild's officers seems promising.

The second point is the large improvement in guild ranking over the last tier. I want to be in a guild that is continuing to climb for improvement. Spike Flail clearly handled the hardships from this tier and succeeded where others failed. I want to continue climbing up the rankings and improving with a good group of raiders.

7. Give us some info on your class knowledge and self performance analysis in this section:
o 7a. What is your general action priority? Opener and neutral game, and any special CDs?
o 7b. What resources and practices do you use to keep up with your class and maximizing your DPS/HPS/Survivability?
o 7c. How do you prioritize gear upgrades? What stats do you prioritize, how do you choose between ilvl upgrades that don't have your preferred stats, etc.? Are there any legos you don't have that you're shooting for?
o 7d. What fights in the current tier do you swap Talents and Legendaries to something different than the norm? What do you swap and why? Feel free to list on a boss per boss basis.
o 7e. How do you analyze your performance on a new fight and figure out how/what you can improve on next week? Don't just say you use logs and compare to others of your class - what specifically are you looking for when you have a good/bad parse?

I am going to describe Holy and Disc here since I can switch between either. Currently, I have much more experience playing Holy, but am trying to improve my Disc play. The reason I played Holy so much more is that I found raid leading with the spec I already knew instead of trying to learn Disc while raid leading a lot easier.

7a Holy) Holy is a consistently outputting healer. Holy involves consistently casting spells as they come off cd sustaining a high amount of passive healing with PoMs and their renews
1) Cast Prayer of Mending on cd. There is so much free baked in healing on PoM (Benediction, Holy mending) that it should always be cast.
2) Use Holy Words if they will not overheal a large amount
3) For AOE healing, cast Prayer of Healing. Especially after casting Holy Word: Sanctify for the Power of the Naaru buff (24-30% more PoH healing).
4) For single target healing, cast Holy Word: Serenity on cd. Cast Flash Heal if they need to be topped in a fairly quick time frame. Use Light of T’uure when moving or to prepare a big heal on someone you know is about to take a huge hit (tanks or someone soaking).
5) For filler low healing times, I generally DPS the boss (Holy Fire and Smite). I find the little bit of DPS I do to try and shorten the fight will be more useful than spamming Heal on a high health tank. I will cast Heal as filler before large damage spikes to try and proc my weapon’s Blessing of T’uure (20% more healing).

Generally, I use Guardian Spirit to try and save someone who spikes low, unless it is saved for tanks (like we currently do for Maiden).

7a Disc) Disc is about setting up atonements, especially around burst windows. Using the cds of Rapture, Power Word: Radiance, Evangelism, and Light’s Wrath at the right time is critical.
1) Cast Power Word Shield on someone if the shield will be used (otherwise not mana efficient. Plea is more mana efficient from a perspective of only applying atonement)
2) Cast Penance on cd
3) Keep Purge the Wicked on the boss
4) Either apply a few atonements on people who need heals with Plea or Smite

Outside that general rotation, use the cooldowns to apply atonement around burst windows. For example, power word shield -> a few pleas -> 2x Power Word:Radiance -> Light’s Wrath -> Velen’s + Evangelism -> Penance

7b) For both specs, I use the howtopreist Discord and website to follow class changes and theorycrafting. Also look at the top parsing priests logs to see for their cd timings (Raptrue, Radiance, etc) or buff uptimes (Divinity, Power of the Dark Side, etc.)

7c) Gear-wise, Holy and Disc have slightly different gear priorities. Holy is Crit and Mastery heavy, with some haste (5-7k Haste). Disc is heavy haste (11-12k) with crit and mastery being good. Overall, I am looking to get good haste, crit, and mastery gear that I can switch around based off tier pieces and legendaries for the best stat setup, with the item level being 10+ almost always making the piece better.

For legendaries, I now have all the legendaries I am aiming for. I have all shadow legendaries, missing one Holy legendary (the Gloves), and missing 4 Disc legendaries. None of the missing legendaries are considered good in high-end raiding.

7d Holy) At this point, I use the same talents and legendaries for almost every boss. With healers so geared, it is more about healing burst quickly instead of long sustain healing. I got Velen’s this past week so I run Prydaz and Velens for every fight. I was wearing the legendary Renew pants before I got Velen’s the last week. For talents, I run 3131312 for every boss besides desolate host. For host, I run 1131212 since it is healing on a smaller group of people.

7d Disc) Same story as above. The only talent I switch around is Mindbender vs. Shield Discipline. I use Shield Discipline on the longer fights for the mana regen, and Mindbender for shorter fights for more throughput. Overall, my talents are generally 2113113. I use Velen’s and the soul ring for all bosses. I would switch to Prydaz possibly on progression fights if my own survivability was more important than the extra burst healing from Velen’s. For farm bosses, I should stop using the Soul ring and use Prydaz since Twist of Fate has very low uptime (I noticed that going through this past weeks logs).

7e Holy) For holy, I primarily look at by Divinity uptime (should be 45-50% with tier 20 4-piece) and my PoM cast percentage. I use wowanalyzer.com to help look at these statistics. Those are two big stats that can tell how my overall rotation flow went.

7e Disc) For disc, my biggest comparisons are how well I handle burst windows. I will compare my logs to top parse logs and make sure I am using the big cooldowns at the correct time. I also use wowanalyzer.com to check my Power Word:Shield usage and dot uptime and all my cooldown usage efficiency. For Disc, since I haven’t had a lot of play time yet, I am still focusing on a lot of the basics (shield usage, cd usage, dot uptime, Penance usage). I want to build a good foundation, then focus on the little things.

For both, looking at my damage taken by certain avoidable mechanics (like Unbound chaos). My damage taken should be low. The best healing is avoid taking the damage in the first place. If I am getting hit a lot by a mechanic, I will often look at my positioning to make sure I am not forcing myself into bad stops or do a lot of unnecessary movement.

8. Please include your character log report showcasing your performance on the relevant bosses of the tier. If your logs are private, please change your Warcraftlogs login and list the username/password here so we can access your logs. If you aren't comfortable listing it publicly, please PM it to Palin privately on these forums. Please remember to change your WCL login again a few days later after we've reviewed your application.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... is/Kidpain
(Holy) Reclear of first 6 two weeks ago - https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/T2 ... fficulty=0

(Disc) Last week, first time Disc on early bosses - https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/2Lx7H6Cp1BXFQqdk
(Disc) Progression Pulls on Avatar - https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/12c7tL9pdqNFnQBr

9. Of the above logs, please do a quick analysis of what fights you did well on, what went wrong on certain fights, etc. Use this chance to explain any context behind good/bad logs.

For my holy logs, I think I performed fairly well that night. My PoM cast usage was pretty good and my Divinity uptime was high. I screwed up mana management pretty badly on Sisters, going OOM the last 30-40 seconds. I needed to save more in the earlier phases, and react better to the messed up Astral crosses, without just spam healing.

For my Disc logs, I played that night pretty poorly. My Purge the Wicked uptime was extremely low on a few bosses (especially 65% on Goroth). On a lot of the fights, I did not successfully line up atonements with burst damage, especially Mistress. My Evangelism usage was not only very low, but the ones I cast did very little healing. The damage profile for the fight makes sense that the extended atonement buffs would not do a lot of healing, but I should get good ones in phase 3 and the phase 2 hydra shot into Devouring Maw. My Fade uptime is very low as well for the 13% damage reduction. Overall, I don’t think I played any of the fights particularly well, and there is a lot to improve.

On Avatar progression, I think my setup around Rupture Realities is a lot of my healing. I think my set-up around Rupture was good most of the time, but not 100%. I need to be more consistent in my execution so each progression pull feels the same. My unbound chaos damage taken was also high that night. There were a few cases were I had to soak the Tainted beam through the purple puddles, making it hard to dodge Unbound. Still, my damage taken is too high and should be improved on future pulls.

10. Can your PC handle WoW at high effects (Lust, Scorp Room, etc.)?
Yes. My desktop PC is 4 years old or so now, but can handle WoW without any problems. In runs at 30 FPS at medium settings. I do not have lag in rooms such as Sisters. I am planning to purchase a new one early next year.

11. Please include a SS of your raiding UI. IF A KEYBINDING IS NOT SHOWN NO YOUR FRAME, PLEASE EXPLAIN AND list any relevant keybinds not shown in the screenshot. Make sure we can see everything that pops up in a raid, meaning take the SS in combat in LFR or something of the like so we can see your boss mods, timer positioning, WeakAuras, raid frames, etc.

https://imgur.com/a/zHR9P

12. Tell us a bit about yourself. Age, gender, work/school, hobbies, etc. Add anything else you feel is pertinent.
Hi, my name is Paul. I am 25 and male. I graduated with an Electrical Engineering degree 3 years ago. I now work for a contractor for the Defense Department in Hunstville, AL. I am currently working on getting a Masters in Computer Engineering by taking 1 or 2 classes a semester. I am about half way done. For hobbies, I primarily play video games in my free time. I mostly focus on one game at a time, which would be WoW now. I spend a lot of my free time pushing high keys in M+. I also enjoy watching movies, television, and hanging out with my friends through Discord.

13. Out-of-game contact information - Discord tag, Battle.net ID, etc. Some way we can contact you besides these forums.
Bnet - Pahenn#1719
Discord – Pahenn#7410
Palin
The Professor

Re: Kidpain - Holy/Disc Priest

Postby Palin » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:29 am

Hi again Paul (this is Azurri), thanks for your interest with us and taking the time to write a detailed application. We appreciate how much work you put into it. I'm sorry to hear about Calculated, wish this Tier could have had better fortunes for you guys.

Quick note that we are starting a 10 day raiding break due to finishing our raid week and taking off for Blizzcon next week. Therefore we're going to probably wait at least until next week before any Trial decisions as we won't have a raid to actually bring a Trial into until Nov 8th or so. If we don't get back to you right away it's because of that, not an indication of lack of interest. As long as we keep your thread open we'll still be considering your application. :)

As a fellow healing Priest (my alt now, but I keep up with it), my first initial question before deep diving into this is what are your thoughts on Binding Heal vs. PIety? Many Holy Priests are moving towards Binding Healing on any content that has self damage or where ProM/PoH isn't as useful, especially Avatar where there are many people spread out and not in range to splash PoH. Any reason you didn't emulate this when working on Avatar?

Any fights on Holy you'd consider using Cloak over Prydaz or Velen's?

More tomorrow, thanks in advance!
Kidpain

Postby Kidpain » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:43 am

For Binding Heal vs. Piety, I think Binding Heal has good usage, as you said, where the self-healing component would not be over-healing by large amounts. Binding Heal would work well on Sisters, Desolate Host, and Avatar. On any fight where there is high AoE burst healing, I consider Piety better for more Sanctify usage and I would be casting Binding Heal less since I need the throughput of PoH. For Avatar, I started with Piety since that is what I knew to play, and I was focused on trying to understand why our raiders were failing beam soaks. The first few nights I spent most of my time trying to fix our strat and was not looking at my personal throughput. After a couple nights, I was talking to the other Holy Priest in Calculated about Binding Heal, and its merit. I think for the healing comp we were running (2xPriest, Shaman, Druid), Binding Heal would be a good choice. We were struggling to heal the spread out damage in Phase 1, and Binding Heal should perform better in Phase 1. I decided Disc would handle the spread out healing of Phase 1 better, so I started playing it. If I kept playing Holy, I most likely would of went Binding Heal for Avatar and see if it made that phase's healing smoother.

For the Holy Cloak, I actually just got it 2 weeks ago so I have not had a lot of time to play around with it. Overall, I have always played without the "Get Out of Jail Free" card of cloak. I did not want to start using Cloak and use it as a reason to get hit by mechanics. It is also fairly hard to die intentionally in a good spot this tier, to get good benefit of where you die for the spirit healing. I think Avatar phase 2 could be a good time I can pop the cloak for the extra healing, but I have not tried it. I would also use Cloak if we wanted to use me as a soaking mechanic (KJ Armageddon, Tich Seeker Swarm). Overall, the Cloak's big bonus, from throughput perspective, is all the mana saved from 2 mana pots and the free healing in angel. Since all the fights I have done so far are very short with everyone's current gear, mana should not be an issue and using a legendary that increases your throughput is more useful.
Kidpain

Postby Kidpain » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:48 pm

Hey. I hope everyone is enjoying Blizzcon. I had a couple questions about raiding in Spike Flail.

1) I watched a couple kill videos to see what the raid atmosphere is. I was curious if there was any members that streamed so I could see what the raid mentality was during progression. Is it more of a mentality to keep pulling for people to learn the patterns of the fight, take small breaks between pulls to go over mistakes, or combination of both? Since I was raid leading the last group I was in, I am curious to see how others do it and their thought process for why they chose this method.

2) For the healing team, at what level is healing assigned? I saw in the kill videos that raid cds are assigned, which is expected. I was more curious if people are assigned to heal certain groups of people based off raid mechanics or raid positioning. I have been in different raid teams where the healers just do their own thing vs. have defined assignments (heal ranged, heal people with X debuff, etc.).

3) I know everyone is enjoying their break, but I was curious if my application will be decided on before the next raid week (Nov 8th). I haven't raided high-end mythic bosses for almost 2 weeks now, and I really want to get back at it. :D
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:16 am

Hi Kid, thanks for your patience as we deliberate through this off week.

1. I stream every raid, you can find my videos here: https://go.twitch.tv/palin1004/videos/all

Of these the most recent was a clean KJ rekill. The one prior was frustrating Avatar pulls after not doing the encounter for 4 weeks straight. That's a good indication of how "bad" the guild environment can get when we're frustrated. Which I think is pretty tame still!

If you want progression streams go a bit further back and they should be us getting close to KJ.

2. We don't generally assign someone to handle groups or anything like that. Debuff and priority healing is usually everyone's job as there's rarely more important HPS that needs to be done at the same time. We'll maybe have one extra healer primarily focus tanks if need be outside of the HPal, or ask to save burst/emergency healing for a certain debuff, but that's about it.

3. We should be making decisions on Monday the 6th. We have 2 other private healer apps we're deliberating on alongside yours, so just doing some internal discussion. Thanks again!

Btw for any questions you can always talk to me on Discord at Palin#8102. I have my phone and Discord with me as I travel and am always available there.

Return to “Applications”