Aenarion - Havoc DH

Want to join? Post your application here.

Moderator: Officer

Aenarion

Aenarion - Havoc DH

Postby Aenarion » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:33 pm

1. Character name, Server

Aenarion, Mal'ganis.

2. Class, Race, and Spec (and Artifact Level)

Demon Hunter, Blood Elf, Havoc (56, just short of 57).

3. Link to an Armory profile, and an explanation of anything that may not be readily apparent from your Armory profile (alternate sets of gear, currently PvP-specced, etc.)

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... s/aenarion

Heading into Tomb I'll generally have the DH legendary shoulders equipped alongside the Anger of the Half-Giants ring which grants more fury. The ring is a perma equip for the most part, the extra Fury being too valuable of a DPS gain in a raid fight. For Mythic plus I typically run the "Memebeam" build built around eyebeam and either play the legendary Helmet + Anger or Helmet + Sephuz depending on the group. My trinkets are almost always the newly 900 ilvl Darkmoon deck and my 870 Arcano but occasionally on pure ST I'll run an 890 Eye of Command.

4. What are your usual playing hours? Are there days/times when you are consistently unavailable? Inform us of your daily work/school schedule, what time do you get home from work/school, and what time must you be in bed for the next day. Are you able to make our raid times in general? Is this availability going to change within the next few months, or with a change in Semester (if applicable)?

I currently work a part-time IT job while I'm in school but I get off at 12PM EST and am typically on or available most of the day afterwards. This won't change much if at all when the semester starts in Sept, as I'll just build my schedule knowing I need Weds/Thurs nights.

5. Discuss your prior endgame raiding experience. Specify your experience with Heroic/Mythic in previous content as well as your experience in the current tier.

I was 10/10M in HFC as a warrior playing both Fury and Arms as the fight and my group's specific damage output demanded. Killed Archimonde in October 2015 with TF and joined an officer's split off guild called Nap Time. I raided there briefly before it fell apart and I stopped playing outside of my DH on Alpha and eventually Beta.

Going into Legion I raided at the start with Instant Dollars (who I had joined strictly for their incredible name at the very end of WoD), was told at the start of Legion they would be doing splits. I got my DH and DK leveled to max and geared for EN for the first week but about two weeks in I just wasn't interested in the guild's mandatory "off-nights" among the other less than honest leadership policies there. I took a small break here and played casually until about two weeks before NH came out.

I raided in a guild called Cabal to clear EN M and ToV H as well as NH Heroic and the first few Mythic bosses but it very quickly became apparent that they were not going to meet the DPS check for pre-nerf Krosus with generally low dps and many members behind on their artifact progression. I was recruited by Washed Up Scrubs and played there until some IRL stuff took my schedule off (School full time + 2 jobs FeelsBadMan) and I joined Deciedly Uncouth towards the tier's end to fit some raiding in and finished 10/10 here.

6. Why do you want to leave your current guild? Why do you want to join us? Specifically, what interests you in our band of merry idiots?

DU was a good place to join when I needed to raid on a lighter schedule but the constraints of raiding just 2 days really puts a limit on what they have time for and don't have time for. A number of essential roles were filled by people who were essentially raid logging and in general the atmosphere of the guild is in an odd place where wanting to min-max in a fight gets "BUT MY PARSEEEE" whined at you as if it was only for padding. In general, it's just not the place I'd like to be when working on new content given my experience with similar issues in the past.

Spike Flails specifically appeals to me as I've watched several of your raid kill videos and the raid atmosphere seems to hit that sweet spot between professional and calm with excitement and hype when it finally dies. Also respect to any guild that runs a Vengeance tank!

7. Give us some info on how you gather your class resources here:

What resources and practices do you use to keep up with your class and maximizing your DPS/HPS/Surivability?

I use a combination of the Fel Hammer discord (specifically the Havoc channel) and Warcraftlogs to keep on top of things. There's a few specific Havoc's I semi-regularly check their logs to see how they're handling certain fights and mechanics and then comparing their method's to my own raid's damage output and healer cooldown timing. For example, I learned from looking at Garmer's logs that you can blur most of the big damage moments on Krosus such as the transitional slams and save a huge portion of damage from hitting you at all, aiding healers greatly in rough spots. Compared to other Havoc's I've raided with I've always found I do a good job of keeping my defensives in rotation for high damage periods rather than saving them for emergency's and wasting the potential strength of a 1min defensive CD.

What's your ability priority/spell or rotation? How and when do you use your cooldowns?

For the current tier, Havoc is fairly simple. You Felblade when it's available and use Chaos Strike to spend fury while trying to weave in Fel Rush and Throw Glaive as filler when and where possible and needed based on Fury droughts. For the next tier you'll mix in hitting Blade Dance on CD as well since First Blood will be the dominant talent in that row. Deciding when and where to use longer CD's such as Nemesis and Meta is determined on a fight by fight basis based on add spawns, if they're the same mob type as the boss, and if there are any crucial burn phases present. Interestingly, because of the leech provided passively by meta and it's myriad of defensive CD's available, during those burn phases Havoc can be nigh immortal to the usually high raid damage coming during them. To compare to an HFC mechanic, Gorefiend's feast of souls phase comes to mind where the raid is taking high damage and also the boss requires hard nuking to meet the overally DPS requirement.

How do you prioritize gear upgrades? What stats do you prioritize, how do you choose between ilvl upgrades that don't have your preferred stats, etc.? Are there any legos you don't have that you're shooting for?

For Havoc in 7.2.5 Crit is king, however ilvl can throw that into disarray at times. I generally use Simcraft to obtain my stat weights as the Havoc one is very well maintained and build my gear for single target damage as I find that doing AOE damage often comes down far more to planning out your abilities and cooldowns and I would prefer to have my damage min-max'd for providing boss and priority add damage rather than padding.

Why do you choose the talents you do and when do you swap them out?
The havoc raid build is pretty standardized. Felblade provides the most fury and damage the most consistently of all options on that tier while also granting yet another mobility ability. Demon Blades gives Havoc the invaluable ability to generate resource whilst it spends them and turns Chaos Blades into a period of increased resource gen as well as a raw damage increase because Chaos Blades autoattacks cannot miss and therefore further fuel your Demon Blades fury gen. First Blood's synergy with both the T20 set bonus and the new Chaos Theory legendary is too strong not to take, though the current set bonus and my personal gear (3 Critical Chaos relics) favor Chaos Cleave which I will be running until I acquire T20 4P. Netherwalk gives Havoc an immunity which is an obvious utility not every class has access to.

How do you analyze your performance on a new fight and figure out how/what you can improve on next week? If you use logs, what specifically are you looking for when you have a good/bad parse?

I generally will spend between 1-2 hours a day looking at logs and trying to determine the best time to burn CD's, how I could optimize Fury generation and spending, and how I could better be using my defensive cooldowns. I try and compare casts of a certain ability with another Havoc or two I know is good to see where I'm at and how I'm progressing as a player.

8. Please include your character log report showcasing your performance on the relevant bosses of the tier.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/c ... bracket=-1

General Logs from 7.2 where I did much of my raiding and progression.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/c ... ic=bossdps

Same Logs ranked by damage dealt to boss to prove I'm not a padding bastard.

9. Of the above logs, please do a quick analysis of what fights you did well on, what went wrong on certain fights, etc. Use this chance to explain any context behind good/bad logs.

I think Krosus, Tich, Chrono and Gul'dan have always been among my better fights this tier. I've done a good job of practicing what I preach above about maximizing damage through timing on cooldown's both defensively and offensively while staying alive to the kill and making sure to help out when I can with kicks and stun rotations without throwing others off of a set order.

10. Can your PC handle WoW at high effects (Lust, Scorp Room, etc.)?

Yes, it's aging now but runs WoW perfectly well.

11. Please include a SS of your raiding UI. IF A KEYBINDING IS NOT SHOWN NO YOUR FRAME, PLEASE EXPLAIN AND list any relevant keybinds not shown in the screenshot. Make sure we can see everything that pops up in a raid, meaning take the SS in combat in LFR or something of the like so we can see your boss mods, WeakAuras, raid frames, etc.

https://gyazo.com/129e2fc4791db91685ead3e08ad0d76d

Boss timers are located just beneath the target of target frame and I usually have a set of encounter related Weak Aura's at the top of the screen between my ERT note and current coordinates.

12. Tell us a bit about yourself. Age, gender, work/school, hobbies, etc. Add anything else you feel is pertinent.

I'm 23 years old and play a bunch of WoW, hang out with my girlfriend and love Muay Thai. I'm going to school for a two year degree in Information Technology and will eventually seek out a four year degree in Network/Systems Security. I have a part time job at a small MSP working to get some experience in IT now and used to work at Trader Joes as well.

13. Out-of-game contact information - e-mail (PM it to Palin if you prefer private), Discord tag, Battle.net ID, etc. Some way we can contact you besides these forums.

Azrael#12679 is my BTag, if you guys would like another form of contact info feel free to ask!
Palin
The Professor

Re: Aenarion - Havoc DH

Postby Palin » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:37 pm

Hi again Aenarion, thanks so much for your interest in us and taking the time to write out a detailed application.

Quick question for you before we get into more DH specific stuff. Looking at your UI, do you have your Arcane Torrent/Health Pot bound to anything besides 9 and 0? How do you find quickly hitting those 2 important "oh shit" cds when they are so far away from your hand on your bars?

Thanks in advance!
Aenarion

Postby Aenarion » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:56 pm

Thank you for your quick response! I use a G600 so they're just a little bit away from my main rotational abilities and easy to hit. Arcane torrent provides fury in a very hungry spec so I try get a use in with each Chaos blades window if I'm not needing to use it for the silence.
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:35 am

Hey Az, I added you Bnet, feel free to hit me up tomorrow if you get a chance!

Return to “Applications”