Woodhots - MW Monk

Want to join? Post your application here.

Moderator: Officer

Woodfox

Woodhots - MW Monk

Post by Woodfox » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:17 pm

1. Character name, Server
Woodhots, Mal'ganis
2. Class, Race, and Spec (and Artifact Level)
Monk, Orc, MW, 34
3. Link to an Armory profile, and an explanation of anything that may not be readily apparent from your Armory profile (alternate sets of gear, currently PvP-specced, etc.)
Started BFA at the start of January so still working on my artifact level https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... s/Woodhots
4. What are your usual playing hours? Are there days/times when you are consistently unavailable? Inform us of your daily work/school schedule, what time do you get home from work/school, and what time must you be in bed for the next day. Are you able to make our raid times in general? Is this availability going to change within the next few months, or with a change in Semester (if applicable)?
I have afternoon classes on Mon/Wens but i'm home by 5:00 other than that i'm available anytime.
5. Discuss your prior endgame raiding experience. Specify your experience with Heroic/Mythic in previous content as well as your experience in the current tier.
I've raided off and on in every expansion since TBC and I've always mained resto druid while also maintaining all 5 healer classes until I decided to change my main for BFA. I just started BFA at the start of January so unfortunately I missed out on Uldir. Most recent experience was raiding as healing officer in Transcend-Mal'ganis(top 200 US) during the first 3 tiers of legion. I briefly raided with Overture-Mal'ganis(top 20 US) in SoO MOP and with some friends in Vodkaz-Zul'jin(top 10 US) at the end of ToS but had to quit due to family issues.
6. Why do you want to leave your current guild? Why do you want to join us? Specifically, what interests you in our band of merry idiots?
Not currently raiding in a guild, the hours work for me and you guys seem cool.
7. Give us some info on your class knowledge and self performance analysis in this section:

7a. What resources and practices do you use to keep up with your class and maximizing your DPS/HPS/Surivability?
I constantly look at the logs of top healers for my class and compare them with my own as well as talking to other competitive healers and being active in my classes discord. I also keep up to date with all patch notes and mmo-champion news/updates.
7b. What fights in the current tier do you swap Talents and Traits to something different than the norm (if at all)? What do you swap and why? Feel free to list on a boss per boss basis.
MW monks atm are using the exact same talents on pretty much every fight with the exception of have the option to use refreshing jade wind instead of jade serpent statue on fights like Opulence/Zul where the raid stacks and there's consistent raid damage.
7c. How do you analyze your performance on a new fight and figure out how/what you can improve on next week? Don't just say you use logs and compare to others of your class - what specifically are you looking for when you have a good/bad parse?
Besides obviously comparing with logs of top players I look through my own logs thoroughly and try to think of anyway I can maximize all the spells in my classes toolkit. One of the things I look for are the timing of damage spikes in the fight so that I can time out when my defensive skills like fortifying brew/diffuse magic can be used more often and most effectively. I check my overhealing done, number of casts, and mana management throughout the fight to make sure i'm playing effectively and have mana for the most intense parts of the fight. A very important stat I look at is my damage taken by each ability so that I can pinpoint exactly where I could be taking unnecessary damage.

8. Please include your character log report showcasing your performance on the relevant bosses of the tier. If your logs are private, please change your Warcraftlogs login and list the username/password here so we can access your logs. If you aren't comfortable listing it publicly, please PM it to Palin privately on these forums. Please remember to change your WCL login again a few days later after we've reviewed your application.
As I said above I just started BFA but here are some logs from my resto druid in legion Nighthold/ToS
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... metric=hps
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... fficulty=4
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... metric=hps
9. Of the above logs, please do a quick analysis of what fights you did well on, what went wrong on certain fights, etc. Use this chance to explain any context behind good/bad logs.
I had pretty consistent logs on my druid and I am 100% certain that by the end of the tier I will be able to perform just as well on my mw monk.
10. Can your PC handle WoW at high effects (Lust, Scorp Room, etc.)?
Absolutely no issues here.
11. Please include a SS of your raiding UI. IF A KEYBINDING IS NOT SHOWN NO YOUR FRAME, PLEASE EXPLAIN AND list any relevant keybinds not shown in the screenshot. Make sure we can see everything that pops up in a raid, meaning take the SS in combat in LFR or something of the like so we can see your boss mods, timer positioning, WeakAuras, raid frames, etc.
https://gyazo.com/433a56490a4ec8f49b2b67d7907e28a7
12. Tell us a bit about yourself. Age, gender, work/school, hobbies, etc. Add anything else you feel is pertinent.
I'm 21 and currently taking classes at Valencia College in FL, no work right now so I have plenty of time to game with the boys.
13. Out-of-game contact information - Discord tag, Battle.net ID, etc. Some way we can contact you besides these forums.
Battle.net ID is Woodfox#1941
Palin
The Professor

Re: Woodhots - MW Monk

Post by Palin » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:14 pm

Hey Woods, thanks for your interest with us and taking the tiem to apply, we appreciate it.

Looking over your past tiers you have a strong track record. The biggest issue of course is that was almost a year and a half go at this point and you haven't seemed to have raided Mythic in a while. Knocking off rust and maximizing a new class will all be things that take some time and is hard to jump into a prog setting on. With that in mind a few questions:
  • -Looks like you did about 1 farm kill with Vodkaz after you joined and they cleared ToS, doing Maiden/Avatar for the first time with them. I'm sure those logs are private but seems like you had to quit shortly after joining. You mentioned family issues but was there more to it that it ended so quickly?

-Monk is of course different from Druid which you're more familiar with. Why did you choose to go with Monk in BFA and what do you see its role being in a raid right now?

-What resources are you using to learn the class and keep up with its nuances as you learn to play it in raid settings?

-I imagine you haven't had to use them much in Dungeons but looks like your Transcendence is unbound and Healthstone is F8, are you reaching all the way over to that. Also Coastal Healing potion isn't here (they're unlinked from HS in BFA). Where would you integrate those to use them faster in a raid setting?
Thanks in advance!
Woodfox

Post by Woodfox » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:09 pm

Hi thanks for getting back to me so fast, I hope I can resolve any concerns.
-I did spend a very short time with Vodkaz unfortunately due to my mother being very sick and needed to spend time with her in the hospital after her operations. There was no issue of poor performance or anything like that and I knew they had a replacement for me when I left.
-I chose monk for BFA because I had raided as only a druid for 10+ years and I was also interested in monk since they probably received the most changes out of the healers in BFA. The main difference between monk and druid is that that while i'm still primarily a raid healer I have much stronger spot healing and burst tank heals as well as having some extra utility for add control like ring of peace and paralysis.
-For info on monk I've been looking through the peakofserenity discord/website for any questions I may have like stat weights or azerite traits.
-I'm still moving around my last couple keybinds and my transcendence hasn't had much use yet but I do have extra buttons on my scroll wheel that I could use for that and any potion I don't have bound yet like coastal healing.
Palin
The Professor

Post by Palin » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:41 pm

Thanks Wood. What's your thoughts on Dampen vs Diffuse Magic for the raiding content? Any place you see Healing Elixirs being better?

I noticed in your Heroic Champs log you generally only Vivify your Soothing target. This article on Peak goes over that Soothing > Vivify is an HPS/mana loss vs hard casting Vivify. It also screws up your Jade Statue vs keeping it on a target taking constant damage. Were you aware of this from your research and if so why continue to play the style of Soothing->Vivify almost exclusively as per your logs?
Woodfox

Post by Woodfox » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:06 pm

Hey again. The main difference between dampen and diffuse magic is that dampen gives a weaker defensive buff but applies to both physical and magical damage while diffuse magic is specific to magic damage. There is a lot of magic damage in dazar'alor so a lot monks are taking diffuse magic. I see healing elixirs as being usable where there is going to be consistent damage throughout the fight with no large burst of damage where a defensive would be better.
I am aware that I was wasting time casting soothing mist and playing inefficiently but those kills were my first time seeing the fights so I was trying to pay attention more to what was going on in the fight rather than my healing since I didn't feel like healing would be an issue in normal.
Palin
The Professor

Post by Palin » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:39 pm

Hey Wood - added you on Bnet. Let's connect tonight.
Palin
The Professor

Post by Palin » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:55 pm

Hello Wood, are you still interested?
Palin
The Professor

Post by Palin » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:54 pm

Closing due to lack of reply.