Havoc DH

Want to join? Post your application here.

Moderator: Officer

Demondavid

Havoc DH

Postby Demondavid » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:32 pm

1. DemonDavid, Thrall
2. Havoc 79

3. https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... demondavid

4. I am available any time I am not in work or class. My last class ends at 7 est on a wed. My other classes are earlier. I currently can't make my guild's raid time anymore. 9:30-1 EST. I would like to be finished raiding at 11 est and in bed by midnight. I am a morning person and it's been somewhat detrimental to my grades to stay up past 1 am every school night. I am able to push later if close to a kill, but not on the regular. Your guy's raid times are perfect for me.

5. Discuss your prior endgame raiding experience. Specify your experience with Heroic/Mythic in previous content as well as your experience in the current tier.
I started raiding in ICC, took a break after Cata, and started again in legion.

Experience:
ICC Hardmode
Cata First tier Hard Mode
Firelands Heroic
Deathwing Teir Heroic

EN Mythic
TOV Mythic
NH Mythic -- Wizards and Monkeys (Formerly known as Mechanical Failure on Proudmore)
TOS Mythic -- Wizards and Monkeys
10/11 Mythic -- Wizards and Monkeys

6. Why do you want to leave your current guild? Why do you want to join us? Specifically, what interests you in our band of merry idiots?
The guild's raiding hours are not good for my school work. I am an education major at university and a morning person. I can't wake up early to do homework if I am staying up until 2 in the morning to raid.
Your GM was pretty nice to me when I briefly talked to him. I am looking for a group of nice people. Every indication I have seen so far shows that you guys are a better than average group for me.

Your raiding schedule and progression indicates you are far more efficient than the guild I am in currently. We raid something like 17 hours a week and are only one boss further. Its pretty laughable how bad people are at showing up on time in Wizards and Monkeys. It pretty frustrating that I am staying up late every night to raid and we spend 2 hours theory crafting a strat for Aggrammar when it could have been done over discord throughout the entire week.

Additionally, I don't feel wanted in my guild anymore. The core officer group changed in Antorus after two officers quit and it has made the guild VERY toxic. A lot of the long time members have quit because of this. I am among the last to go. While the guild has seen an increase in progression this tier, it has come at the cost of a healthy raid environment.

7. Give us some info on your class knowledge and self performance analysis in this section:

7a. What is your general action priority? Opener and neutral game, and any special CDs?

-- Felrush
-- DB
-- Arcane Torrent
-- Nemesis
-- Artifact
-- Eyebeam
-- Smash Chaos Strike until near 40 (last chaos strike)
-- Strafe left and right while hitting the last chaos strike
-- If I get souls, chaos strike
-- If not DB
-- Chaos Strike
-- DB
--Chaos Strike
-- Strafe
-- DB or Chaos Strike
-- Repeat until out of meta
-- Meta
-- Eyebeam
-- Strafe left and right while hitting the last chaos strike
-- If I get souls, chaos strike
-- If not DB
-- Chaos Strike
-- DB
-- Chaos Strike
-- Repeat

Use nemesis, Meta, Artifact on CD. Time so as to not waste Demonic Procs. Maximum meta is key.

-- Don't End Eye beam Early
-- Don't Artifact during T21 haste buff
-- Don't waste the Eyebeam reduction from souls by picking them up when you have 0-3s on your eyebeam
-- Don't cap fury, ever

-- Don't admit your spec is easy

7b. What resources and practices do you use to keep up with your class and maximizing your DPS/HPS/Surivability?
Below
7c. How do you prioritize gear upgrades? What stats do you prioritize, how do you choose between ilvl upgrades that don't have your preferred stats, etc.? Are there any legos you don't have that you're shooting for?

Shit man. I hate homework, can't we talk it out in discord instead. OK, here it goes.

I use sim permut to sim every piece I get. That with raidbots allows me to get a somewhat accurate representation of what is better per fight length.
With pawn and stat weights from sims, I can get a really good idea what Item will give the most dps increase.

I use two different sets in a raid environment.

Shoulders Set:
This set revolves around getting my meta off CD at the same time as nemesis. Without a meta relic, I am forced to go a little bit heavier on haste than mastery. Crit is still king. The haste allows me to spend more fury to get my meta off CD sooner. In my current set, meta comes off CD about 10s into my nemisis. This is almost perfect as it allows me to use Nemesis and Meta on direct cooldown at the same time. However, if I had the meta reduction relic (with the crit chaos on crucible) then I would be able to stack more mastery which has a larger DPS return than haste.
This set's long fight dps is very slightly (50kish) lower than eyebeam set. However, on fights where there would be a long downtime on meta, without an additional use, the shoulder set is much better. I find the set to be better in almost every case. The exception for me right now is argus because eyebeam does do more burst with the crit/mast buff and it is important to push P1 as early as possible. More burst = better.
It is also impossible to parse on Kingaroth without the relic. You need a 2 minute meta. I have 2:10. This makes it line up worse and worse and by the last add I may not get a meta at all.
I run this set on most fights and I will be going for titan forge peices that complement it. I believe it scales similarly to meme helm, but the median dps is a lot calmer with this set while meme beam only pulls ahead in specific situations.

MEME Beam helm:
This set can be really fun in M+ with 11+ mobs because I get infinite eyebeam. While inferior to Shoulders in almost every way, this set can be good on fights with lots of adds or if your last meta lines up with the death of the boss. (Coven, Portal Keeper, Mine boss, ect.) This set relies a lot less on haste. The weights with this are generally Crit>Master>>Haste>Verse>>>>>>>>>Agi.. Poor agi. (I run 100 crit 2% movespeed on my cloak from last xpac..) There is a 15% haste cap where it falls off even harder. You hit max GCD when in T21 Demonic at 15%.

As far as stat weights go, I sim them every time I get a new peice. Every peice changes my weights slightly or dramatically. For example, if I had a 960 Vari trink instead of a 940 eye, my crit weights would be A LOT higher, while the theorycrafted DPS between these two trinkets says their equal.

7e. How do you analyze your performance on a new fight and figure out how/what you can improve on next week? Don't just say you use logs and compare to others of your class - what specifically are you looking for when you have a good/bad parse?
Overall DPS is usually the least important part of a fight. When analyzing, you want to look at what you are doing to priority targets. The priority could be the adds that kill the raid. They could be the boss who hits enrage.
But generally DPS is less important than executing mechanics. In my mind, Maximizing your DPS is important. But doing the mechanics is more important. Maximizing your dps while doing mechanics to a T, every time is the most important. If your dead you arn't doing DPS. If you kill someone else, they arn't doing dps. If you fuck someones damage buff, they arn't doing as much dps.

If your varimathras add isn't dying, see who could do more.

It is also important to see who is taking the most damage from a mechanic. If someone is dying to a mechanic over and over, this can be checked in logs. If your dps is lower than someone elses, you can go through every ability, every spell casted, and every resources spent to see what he did differently.

I know the ins and outs of warcraft logs pretty well. I can tell you almost anything you ask about a fight. However, maybe I haven't put enough effort into it recently. But I am always looking to improve.
8. Please include your character log report showcasing your performance on the relevant bosses of the tier. If your logs are private, please change your Warcraftlogs login and list the username/password here so we can access your logs. If you aren't comfortable listing it publicly, please PM it to Palin privately on these forums. Please remember to change your WCL login again a few days later after we've reviewed your application.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/ry ... amage-done
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/yP ... amage-done
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/yP ... 8&source=3

9. Of the above logs, please do a quick analysis of what fights you did well on, what went wrong on certain fights, etc. Use this chance to explain any context behind good/bad logs.
Generally, I believe having players that can parse 99% if they want to is necessary for a high end guild. The more damage you push, the less mechanics you see. While Mechanics trump dps, dps is still important and I have proven in the first 3 that I can do good damage.

It is important to note that I just got my second to last leggo last week. This is my legendary ring. The difference between that ring and another legendary is incredible significant which is why you will not see high percentile parses for the weeks before this one. (Its unfortunate that Warcraft logs isn't ranking this week.)

The last parse is my kingaroth Add damage profile. I actually died on the fight to FPS drop Beam to the face so my overall parse is lower than it would be. But just because we are on farm doesn't mean I am not doing everything I can to maximize add damage.

10. Can your PC handle WoW at high effects (Lust, Scorp Room, etc.)?

Not this week.

11. Please include a SS of your raiding UI. IF A KEYBINDING IS NOT SHOWN NO YOUR FRAME, PLEASE EXPLAIN AND list any relevant keybinds not shown in the screenshot. Make sure we can see everything that pops up in a raid, meaning take the SS in combat in LFR or something of the like so we can see your boss mods, timer positioning, WeakAuras, raid frames, etc.

https://imgur.com/a/bV2LS

I can make you a video if you like.

Heres a video of my old UI and of me felrushing to my death from a bug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBtXhy0 ... e=youtu.be

I can make some basic WA and I always modify the WA i get to help me play better.

Shift Z is darkness
z is pot
G6 is netherwalk

I think you can see everything else.

I wish I could make WA that triggered with combat logs.
I wish I could code in LUA and write my own WA.

12. Tell us a bit about yourself. Age, gender, work/school, hobbies, etc. Add anything else you feel is pertinent.
23 M
University
Busser at a resteraunt
Elementary Education Major
Rock Climbing
Snowboarding

13. Out-of-game contact information - Discord tag, Battle.net ID, etc. Some way we can contact you besides these forums.

aenomalI#1100

14. You just got your last legendary, what have you been doing all xpac?

I main swapped from Holy/disc to havoc because I was tired of the survivability of holy priest and I didn't like farming as a healer. I love havoc, but because I swapped after we killed KJ, I was only able to recently get my last bis leggo (2nd to last).
Palin
The Professor

Re: Havoc DH

Postby Palin » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:32 am

Hi again Demon! Thanks so much for taking the time to craft a well-written application. We appreciate the time and effort you put into this.

- Don't admit your spec is easy

I enjoyed this!
Vera

Postby Vera » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:28 pm

Hey demondavid, thanks for taking the time to app with us, I just have a couple questions for you.

1. For Kinagroth, have you considered other options to bridge the meta gap in lieu of relics? What do you think about running CoF, for example?

2. Also for Kingaroth, what are your thoughts on t20 for that fight?

3. For high command, is there a particular reason you eyebeam when you do?

4. For Vari, what do you personally do to maximize add damage?

5. Looking ahead, can you briefly illustrate what you would run on Aggramar & Argus and what do you envision you can bring to those fights?

6. This is less a question and more a request - I would like to see some additional logs with Anger, as you mentioned that was a big dps loss on your part. Furthermore, now that you have anger, is there any fights where you might consider alternative setups to what you are currently running? For example, what are your thoughts on Sephuz + Anger for Coven?
Demondavid

Postby Demondavid » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:11 pm

Hey! Those are some interesting questions. I have already answered most of them to myself throughout prog, but didn't include the answers in my earlier post!

1 and 2. This one is funny, or sad, depending on how you look at things. I had an 880 COF that I had gotten from some random run of Nighthold. But, right before antorus dropped, my bags were filled to the brim with low ilvl gear. (the toon was only a month old or so at this point.) I went through and vendored a whole bunch of stuff. I remember pausing on the COF; it was a powerful trinket in the right situation, but what were the chances it would be better than a 935+ trinket? So I vendored it.

Maybe, thinking back, I should have done an item restore. But I didn't think of using a restore at the time.

When we got to prog on kingaroth, I didn't have my tier 21 yet. I was running T20. Without anger, I was about 6s off meta at 2 min. But, by using meta about 15s before the adds spawned, I was able to get 4 full metas off on the adds. This was perfect, because my guild wanted me to sustain myself with meta by myself. We only had one lock at the time. We killed the boss while I was in T20. The video I linked of the felrush bug you can see my t20 WA. The week after we killed it, I believe I ran the same t20 build. But the next week, I had gotten all my T21 and was really comfortable with it. Because my T20 ilvl was so low and I still wasn't quite hitting the 2 minute meta mark, I found through trial and error that I would do a lot more overall damage with T21. Since we didn't have trouble killing the adds at that point, I have just run t21. Now that I have anger, its definetly worth taking a look at using my T20 on the fight again. However, I know that if I get that meta relic (with a crit choas) that my T21 will absolutely blow my 930 t20 out of the water.

T21 + Chaos Blades. As the demonic window doesn't really matter, you really just need the eyebeam t21 haste and the fat +30% from chaos blades.
Last edited by Demondavid on Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Demondavid

Postby Demondavid » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:20 pm

4. Yeah so this one is interesting too. On our first vari kill, we weren't having a lot of trouble killing the add. On prog, we probably only wiped 2 times to the add not dying. But on our second kill, we brought our MM hunter. We were having a lot more trouble. So this time I really had to start min maxing my add damage and forgetting about my boss damage. The best way to do add damage is hold an eyebeam until before it, use a full beam on the boss, then when the add comes out, you get to smack it with meta + t21 haste and a full fury bar. This is easily 3 GCD of 2k+ damage and really it's the way the fight was designed to be handled. Unfortunately, holding eyebeam is a HUGE dps loss and so I didn't do that on the log I showed you. Generally on that one, I just tried to have some fury to spend when the add came out. 80 is a good number because without the haste its pretty hard to get 3 gcds on it.
Demondavid

Postby Demondavid » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:39 pm

5. On aggramar, I would run shoulders/anger. To me, this is the most consistent damage profile. It makes the spec less rng because you get more chances to get a lot of procs within your meta window as your meta window is increased. I can't meme beam the adds because that brings them too low and kills them. Killing the adds provides a hot and ready wipe so that's not possible. I believe shoulders provides the highest, consistent ST damage increase with the gear I have. If I had more crit mast on some peices, perhaps helm would be better. To confirm this, I can look at warcraft logs rankings. Here, shoulders and helm are both represented. This further indicates that its really up to YOUR gear set.

Argus is a whole other story. Generally, the first thing I do when I start prog on a fight is look at what other people are doing to get the best results.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/1 ... spec=Havoc

However, what you see there is the result split runs from LAST tier have on the endboss of this tier. Most everyone is running t20. However, if you look deeper, the T20 of every log is heavily titanforged. Nobody in the guilds that have killed it has base ilvl t20 like I do. I decided to try t20 anyhow. I found that my burst in t20 was nearly the same as my burst in T21. This is due to the extreme ilvl difference and loss of secondary stats between my two sets.

P1 of argus is the a lot harder than p2. So you want to try and frontload a lot of your DPS to get past as quickly as possible. For this reason, I think belt + ring is the best bet for this fight. Espeicially considering I am a DH. In p3 of the fight, most guilds send either a DH or a shaman down to pick up the titanforges. If that were the case, I believe shoulders might be the better option because p3 damage would likely matter the same if not more than p1 damage.

I was in for all the prog so far of argus and I am sure I will be in the future. It looks like the person who logs for us was absent on the main day of our argus prog so I can't show you those logs.
Demondavid

Postby Demondavid » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:48 pm

6. Sephuz + anger on coven. While there is a point in the fight with constant interrupts, the boss that needs to be interupted is only out for a short period. While this is a DPS increase for that time, I believe that either shoulders or Helm + anger will easily out preform those two on overall damage. But honestly, a DH overall damage doesn't matter too much on that fight. We are really being carried by the ranged double dotters. What's more important is that the healing adds die. Anger + Helm or Anger + Shoulders provides the most damage for that short window. I have only killed coven twice, both times we have struggled to kill the healing adds before being overwhelmed. I would not sacrifice the add damage for slightly more overall. But I don't think that there are enough interrupts in the fight to make sephuz greater than anger. Only fights like the second boss in tomb would it be worthwhile for overall damage to use sephuz over anger. I may be wrong, and I am open to experimentation, but that is my gut feeling and it is all but confirmed on top parses.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/1 ... spec=Havoc

Sephuz use is low.
Demondavid

Postby Demondavid » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:55 pm

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/tR ... pe=healing

Our disc priest was out so I was playing disc on my 946 60 trait priest on aggramar. Here's a good log of that.

Antoran High command ^
Note I had 5-10 fps this fight.

Portal Keeper ^. I actually haven't done anything to min max this fight or antoran high command. We 4 shot portal keeper and I wasn't in on prog for antoran high command. I have been spending more time trying to perfect my ST dps for the more difficult bosses.

imonar ^

I don't have any other logs with the ring besides those of and the ones I gave you earlier as I have only had the ring for a week.
Last edited by Demondavid on Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Demondavid

Postby Demondavid » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:57 pm

3. I eyebeam on CD. I also put nemisis on the pyrocaster
Demondavid

Postby Demondavid » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:14 pm

Sorry for spacing it out like that. I know its a little bit more difficult to read.

It is also important to note that I think maximizing damage is important and I have talked a lot about that, but saving a pull could be wayyy more important. I could easily show this if I had those argus logs. But multiple times, my dps is very low (1.4ish instead of 3MIL) b/c I was simply sitting out of melee with the spikey debuff while the ranged/other melee were not grouping properly for me to felrush through the boss and do my own DPS. I also was watching for escorts. The ranged were having a hard time escorting people with soulblight and fear out of the raid, so multiple times during those 70 or so pulls I made sure to gimp my dps to keep the person from dying or dropping soulblight in the raid. Progression trumps damage for me every time. I think it's important to talk about damage because the best guilds need people who know what to do to maximize their damage, while doing mechanics as near perfectly as possible.
This is still true on farm! Saving time clearing by NOT wiping is very important. The less time you spend clearing, the more time you spend progging.

For example, suiciding a soak on garathi is the play every time. If no one is there, you gotta die.

Looking forward to hearing your responses!
Demondavid

Postby Demondavid » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:11 pm

Here is all my pulls on argus so far. I can't find the logs of this but here is our tank's stream.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/219043911

2:35
A decent pull by me. I got all the buffs until the end. It also shows what I do when I get the anger debuff.

2:50
I have rage on the side, spread when the new ones come out and get fear. Chup, who is next to me get rage so I cant go to the group with my fear directly. I am 100% dead here, so I pop netherwalk, run through the blight to the group and live with 2 stacks. Then we wipe to something else.

1:06:00

P2 here
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:39 pm

Hi David, thanks for the updates and continuing to be patient. By chance do you know if you guys are farming next week and you'd have a chance to get another set of logs now that you have Anger?
Demondavid

Postby Demondavid » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:53 pm

Yeah we will be. Il update here with the new logs tues or wed night.
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:58 pm

Thanks much!
Demondavid

Postby Demondavid » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:40 pm

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/7G ... amage-done

On felhounds I got picked up during opener --> https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/7G ... e&source=3

I forgot to change talents and leggo for this boss -- still decent I guess

I tried out choas blades + t21 and I did about the same as demonic. I think t20 is probably the way to go on this boss until I get a meta relic
Palin
The Professor

Postby Palin » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:16 pm

Hey Demon, as we spoke of over Bnet we are going to hold off any decision for now until after Argus is dead in a few weeks. We'll be extending until then and won't have a lot of farm opportunities for a new Trial, and not really a melee spot for Argus prog. We'll see if you're still looking at that time, best of luck.

Return to “Applications”