2015 Hockey Talk

DON'T REGISTER. WE DON'T USE THESE FORUMS ANYMORE.

Moderator: Officer

Palin
The Professor

2015 Hockey Talk

Post by Palin » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:34 am

GO RANGERS.

Palin
The Professor

Re: 2015 Stanley Cup Playoff Talk

Post by Palin » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:37 am

What an epic night of hockey. Ottawa rally back against the Pens, who are in danger of missing for the first time in forever.

LA chokes against Edmonton and now is in some serious trouble.

If Pits and LA both miss I'd have the hugest schadenfreude boner.
Meaning
Below average destro lock

Post by Meaning » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:58 am

This was an amazing night of hockey.

We see the shitty Devils hack and slash at us and still lose and we get top seed.

Ottawa epic rally to win that game in OT.

LOL THE ISLANDERS COME BACK FROM 4-1 TO LET IN THE WEAKEST OF ALL WRIST SHOTS TO LOSE WITH 3 SECONDS LEFT.

Serious hard on if the Kings get eliminated. #KeepTheKingsOut

Also does 3 Presidents Trophy's for AV in 5 years = 1 Stanley Cup?
Chase Utley is a bitch
Rush
Do you have a moment to talk about Crit?

Post by Rush » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:23 am

The biggest thing about LA losing to Edmonton tonight was the fact that Edmonton's roster is pretty much 50% AHL players as well as having Hall and Klinkhammer who are natural wingers forced into center which of course is the most difficult/important forward position.

As an Oiler fan it was kinda nice seeing 29 fan bases cheering for them instead of shitting all over them.

Oh and GG Ranger for clinching President's trophy. This guild has so many hockey fans we could probably run a fun little in guild draft for the playoffs, put WoW gold into a pot or something to make it more interesting, or not doesn't matter.
Meaning

Post by Meaning » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:36 am

Chase Utley is a bitch
Palin
The Professor

Post by Palin » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:50 am

Rush wrote:The biggest thing about LA losing to Edmonton tonight was the fact that Edmonton's roster is pretty much 50% AHL players as well as having Hall and Klinkhammer who are natural wingers forced into center which of course is the most difficult/important forward position.

As an Oiler fan it was kinda nice seeing 29 fan bases cheering for them instead of shitting all over them.

Oh and GG Ranger for clinching President's trophy. This guild has so many hockey fans we could probably run a fun little in guild draft for the playoffs, put WoW gold into a pot or something to make it more interesting, or not doesn't matter.
As a Dallas fan, it was fun seeing Bachman, Roy, Fraser, and Gazdic all contribute to the Kings schadenfreude. Also I'm totally down for a playoff guild bracket.
Malarowski

Post by Malarowski » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:39 am

It was fucking great last night. LA not making it is great, too bad Boston did, but they kind of suck. At this point, I hope the Penguins squeek in so we can murder their sorry asses right off the bat, seeing what a dysfunctional pile of shit they are this season, just great.

Senator game was fucking amazing though, I never cheered more for a team I don't care at all about.

@Rush: I don't think anybody has beef with Edmonton, everybody feels a bit sorry I think. Still great jobs to put those dickballs in their place. Can't always be lucky and have the refs on your side, I guess. The NHL sure was trying to keep them in (Re: Toffoli not suspended). Suck it LA, see how the bandwagon falls apart now.

In other news, I also won my Fantasy league last week! So it has been a lot of fun. Can't wait for next week.
Malarowski

Post by Malarowski » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:55 am

Malarowski

Post by Malarowski » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:13 am

Rush

Post by Rush » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:51 am

I visit r/hockey a lot so that's where my bias of people crapping all over Edmonton comes from. I know that subreddit is generally a pretty big circle jerk so I usually don't let it get to me. But for most of the season there was endless posts about how Edmonton doesn't deserve another high draft pick because they ruin careers blah blah and that got tiring real quick.

You can ask Rallik, I'm one of the biggest critics of the team, he knows nothing about hockey but I've ranted so much about how poor managent has been that he could probaby argue it himself. It was definitely nice to see a night where people didn't either pity or accuse the team of tanking for draft pick.

Anyway I'd really like to gauge interest in a guild playoff draft, I was thinking something simple like a basic snake draft with limited rules like you need 1 goalie and 2 D. probably a very basic point system. I've organized these before and I know of some good resources to use to keep track of everything. I just need to see if enough people are interested and see what kind of rules people want.
Malarowski

Post by Malarowski » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:07 am

Rush wrote:I visit r/hockey a lot so that's where my bias of people crapping all over Edmonton comes from. I know that subreddit is generally a pretty big circle jerk so I usually don't let it get to me. But for most of the season there was endless posts about how Edmonton doesn't deserve another high draft pick because they ruin careers blah blah and that got tiring real quick.

You can ask Rallik, I'm one of the biggest critics of the team, he knows nothing about hockey but I've ranted so much about how poor managent has been that he could probaby argue it himself. It was definitely nice to see a night where people didn't either pity or accuse the team of tanking for draft pick.

Anyway I'd really like to gauge interest in a guild playoff draft, I was thinking something simple like a basic snake draft with limited rules like you need 1 goalie and 2 D. probably a very basic point system. I've organized these before and I know of some good resources to use to keep track of everything. I just need to see if enough people are interested and see what kind of rules people want.
This is a Playoff thread yo! If I remember correctly, you weren't in them since 06? ;)

What is a Playoff draft? Mini-Fantasy league?
Marko
Go Leafs Go

Post by Marko » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:24 am

Could just set something up a league on one of the dozens of fantasy leagues?
Malarowski

Post by Malarowski » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:25 am

Marko wrote:Could just set something up a league on one of the dozens of fantasy leagues?
Fantasy as a whole ended last week, it doesn't run into the Playoffs. I know Yahoo is closed down for new leagues until before next season.
Palin
The Professor

Post by Palin » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:08 pm

Yea I've done a lot of ESPN/Yahoo fantasy (keep coming in 3rd in my money league, grrr), but never have done fantasy for the Playoffs. I've seen bracket challenges for the playoffs, but not actual drafts. How does that work?

Either way I'm interested.
Malarowski

Post by Malarowski » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:22 pm

I think I'll skip playoff fantasy stuff apart from a bracket. Too much time spent watching all games counting faceoffs and hits during the regular season, in addition to hoping Rangers win. Bracket I am def in though.
Rush

Post by Rush » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:35 pm

The kind of draft Im talking about is something we usually do amongst friends in small groups like 6-7 people. It's like a fantasy draft lite. The rules are super simple, basic snake draft where each person takes say 10 players but you must have 1 goalie and say 2 D. There are no trades or lineups to set on a weekly basis you just pick your team and that's it, if half your guys are knocked out in the first round then you're screwed.

Points are usually kept super simple as well for example you get 1 point per goal/assist and your goalie gets 2 points for a win and 3/4 for a shutout. You can add other things but like I said I've always kept these super simple so you don't have to spend hours looking up stats for your players and keeping track of things like pims or plus/minus.

It's a very small friendly sort of draft, we usually do a buy in of $20 or something just to sweeten it a bit but it's all about the bragging rights when you win.
Palin
The Professor

Post by Palin » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:54 pm

Is there a website you use to track it all, or just by hand/excel?
Meaning

Post by Meaning » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:55 pm

I'm in.
Chase Utley is a bitch
Marko
Go Leafs Go

Post by Marko » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:14 pm

Count me in too.
Rush

Post by Rush » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:20 pm

Ya there are websites that you can input all the teams of the people involved and set values for everything like goals/assists, wins shutouts and whatever else you want to include. I usually do this every year with friends where we get together for wings and beer and pick teams and then I just put them up on the website and email out the link so people can check it out for themselves. it's a simple draft but fun, you find yourself hoping for super high scoring games if you have players on each team or the opposite if you don't.

I've seen people win this draft by spreading out their picks and just hoping for high numbers from their stars, or people who pick from primarily two main teams in hopes they make it to the finals. I've seen somebody who lost half their team in the first round come back and win it because of their last remaining players going deep and putting up big numbers.