A stupid thread started by a terrible player.

DON'T REGISTER. WE DON'T USE THESE FORUMS ANYMORE.

Moderator: Officer

congo

Re: Why Guild Raid Recruitment Fails

Post by congo » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:45 pm

[quote="Melbufrahma"]Image[/quote

HIIDONTKNOWHOWTOUSETHEQUOTEFUNCTIONCANIHAZRAIDSPOT?YOUKNOWIMSERIOUSBECAUSEIMSHOUTING!
Use the force, Harry. -- Gandalf

-Walter Peck, EPA 3rd District.
Denic

Post by Denic » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:48 pm

By the way this is a fun game, but I think I figured out who it is.

Gotta be Depran. Can we get an IP check?

Regardless, this guy is definitely the one who wrote that "scathing rebuke" about our guild on WoW Insider. Lack of spaces post punctuation, shitty paragraph spacing/format, etc.

http://wow.joystiq.com/2010/04/02/ready ... 2#comments

Certainly harboring some hard feelings to come here over a year later.
You are now blinking and breathing manually.
Rill
Son of Mish - Stuck in a Rock

Post by Rill » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:52 pm

The reason why I believe Spike Flail's recruitment is actually above and beyond the standards of top end guilds is that every applicant who gets denied gains insight to why they got denied in the first place. Not only does the applicant get a prompt and polite response back, they are free to pm any officer questions about improving their gameplay. It's that level of respect that is so commonly lacking in higher end guilds because they just don't care about their hundreds of applicants. Clearly this guild does.

Oh,and please learn to use your spacebar.Not all of us like reading posts like this,ya know?
Drek'Thar is my homeboy.

martyr

Post by martyr » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:24 pm

Denic wrote:By the way this is a fun game, but I think I figured out who it is.

Regardless, this guy is definitely the one who wrote that "scathing rebuke" about our guild on WoW Insider. Lack of spaces post punctuation, shitty paragraph spacing/format, etc.

Oh man that's awesome. Had no idea I had a fan club. The funniest part about how protective I am of my raid slot near the end of Wrath is that I was begging my friends to apply and going out on a limb for a couple of them. I even took on a guy who wasn't as skilled but I thought I could work with him. I wanted to be able to sit so bad.
If an applicant happens to be a mage then at least 10 additional questions are asked from the guild's own premier mage.This guy is very protective of his raid status so he really does not want another mage competing so every mage aspiring player is therefore shot down and thus denied.
They are not even in the top 10 in the US!How is my typing so far? Is it error free? When that mage(martyr?) of Spike Flail hammers away at a mage applicant by criticizing why he died from a tail swipe from Sindagrosa's tail,he forgets that he himself died numerous times along with the entire raid while in Frostwing Halls.
Hell I had class on Tuesdays and Thursdays and the raid didn't have a mage. I love it.
Melbu
King of the Winglies

Post by Melbu » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:28 pm

Ip addys are different so unless he moved its prob not him

Deps comes out of Neb
this one out of St Pete Florida
martyr

Post by martyr » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:30 pm

Melbufrahma wrote:

Deps comes out of Neb

Can you PM me the IP so I can check it on the PB registry? Think I still have admin access.
Denic

Post by Denic » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:35 pm

Melbufrahma wrote:

Deps comes out of Neb
Yeah, that was a stab because it was clearly Depran's application that they referenced in one of those WoW Insider comments.
You are now blinking and breathing manually.
Methios
Grand Casual

Post by Methios » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:35 pm

Aww, he left.
٩๏̮͡๏)۶٩๏̮͡๏)۶٩๏̮͡๏)۶٩๏̮͡๏)۶٩๏̮͡๏)۶٩๏̮͡๏)۶٩๏̮͡๏)۶٩๏̮͡๏)۶٩๏̮͡๏)۶٩๏̮͡๏)۶

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔGo Cubs Goʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
martyr

Post by martyr » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:41 pm

Aww they took away my admin access. I can only check IPs that have been banned and neither turned up banned. If I still had admin access I could atleast check any GUID that had ever been used and handles used on those IPs. Silly admins keeping tabs on their site.

Edit:

Oh and just for funsies.

Mage Trials since I joined:

Acidlust, Anomalism, Vezax, Primal.

Vezax and Primal made member.
Actovision

Post by Actovision » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:02 pm

Oh wow I never saw that before. If it had been a year earlier, I'm betting that person would have met with a deny from a certain other mage who actually was eager to protect his raid status. :wink: In any case we have run 4 mages in a raid at points in our history (even when mages sucked and the people playing them sucked), so it's an unfounded accusation. Also, was that an app during HLK? Retarded on several levels.

For the record, historically our apps fall into one or more of the categories:
  • Does not know what English language paragraphs look like, or is somehow unable to mimic them
  • Class in armory link does not match class typed in app
  • Doesn't know anything about their class
  • Most likely bought their account
  • Terrible reputation (drama factory, guild hopper, ninja looter, anyone that Meth knows)
  • Put no effort into answering the application's questions
  • Is applying as a spec we can't fit into our roster
  • Has a shitty UI AND this alerts us to situational awareness issues. Lo and behold, when we check their combat logs they are eating void zones like a champ.
  • Doesn't know anything about their class
  • Ability usage, DPS shown in combat logs are nowhere near where the person should be
  • Can't make our raid times, but applied anyway
  • Copy-pasted info from EJ or other FotM theorycraft site, yet can't come to logical conclusions based on that info
  • Alternatively, is unable even to copy-paste from EJ or other FotM theorycraft site, and gets the most basic, widely known info incorrect
  • DOESN'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THEIR CLASS
I guarantee you, angsty, rejected troll, you fell into multiple categories.

From the last mage I gave feedback on:
Actovision wrote:UI looks bad, but like the after-raid vent crew pointed out that rarely makes or breaks a player.
That person passed their trial.
Last edited by Actovision on Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Palin 2016: Two feasts on every dinner table in America!
Nightfright

Post by Nightfright » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:16 pm

The app process is one of the best and unique parts of Spike Flail.

I had a friend tell me that it's like having to do a job interview and it was too much pressure.

Well it is. The motto has always been to front load the process so that by the time we get to the end result the bads are weeded out and only the true skilled and dedicated players remain.

One thing people don't realize is how much we discuss and review our apps. We spend pages and pages deciding if a person is the right fit for us.

In the end it's worth it for us and fulfilling experience for the apps.
Marko
Go Leafs Go

Post by Marko » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:01 pm

antielitist wrote:I don't believe you. Not one applicant has ever been accepted over the last 2 years.Anyways you contradict yourself with the above pasted text.If you had no experience,Spike Flail would NOT have accepted you. So you are full of shit.
I read this far and had to post a reply, and I'm sure others will have reply'd saying the same thing as well. Too bad old apps aren't available to the public, lol. If you saw mine you'd laugh and cry and wonder if Tier was just drunk or on the shittibis and happy I was Canadian trailer trash. I don't want to look up the official date, but it was late 2009. Suck it Trebek. Also, Tier was looking for incredibly specific experience which I completely lacked. I still have no idea how I got in.
Melbu
King of the Winglies

Post by Melbu » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:29 pm

i can push all the old apps back into the readable section :twisted:

however the last app we accepted was in May of '10 which was a month or so before we completely stopped raiding for 6 or so months. actually 2 of the last 3 people we accepted were mages

we then decided to move from 25 mans to 10 mans when cata came out because people wanted to move on from wow/ got busier with real life and it was decided it would be better to take a more laid back approach. retained 15ish of the core. no real need to recruit anyone for 10 mans at that point

recruitment is open now because some more have moved on and no longer play, however with that said SF still gets shit done with 11 or whatever people
Tier

Post by Tier » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:00 pm

THIS NIGGA BE TRIPPIN.
antielitist

Re: A stupid thread started by a terrible player.

Post by antielitist » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:00 pm

I'm still here........ laughing back at all of you.........
Xellos
The God-Damn Book

Post by Xellos » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:08 pm

Actovision wrote:anyone that Meth knows
lol
antielitist wrote:I'm still here........ laughing back at all of you.........
Nigga, you mad.
Meaning
Below average destro lock

Post by Meaning » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:21 pm

good, this thread was getting boring without you.
Chase Utley is a bitch
martyr

Post by martyr » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:28 pm

Oh? We're raiding and working on Baleroc. Thanks for the update!
Palin
The Professor

Post by Palin » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:34 pm

The sign of a defeated man, when you just try to mock the other party instead of refuting their points.

Check and Mate.
Kal

Post by Kal » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:05 pm

At what exactly? We're having fun, drinking while raiding and laughing.

You just sound fucking bitter and I find that hilarious. While we're doing all that, all you're doing is whining and bitching about something that has worked for this guild for years while you yourself have absolutely no fucking standards it seems. Who are you to judge when you think it's ok for clickers and people with gathering professions apping for a guild that's serious about progression?

Listen do me a favor, post us your main and let's see where you stand. Until then, you're a joke. Are you expecting us to apologize for having standards? Unlike most, we don't like to carry retards in our raids, which the majority of the WoW community seems to fit into. Sure we wipe to dumb shit sometimes, but we expect our trials to be as good as us or even better atleast during the trial period that way we know they have hope. We all have bad days, and that's why trials go on for about a month give or take. That's the first thing I learned when I app'd. You can't go: "oh it's ok I fucked the raid up and wiped them, that other X person did too in one of their attempts." That's not the way to look at it. That other person has already proven him/herself to the guild. And not ever did they/we rip on an app for dying to fire/aoe/crap/trap once, it's if they do it consistently even after being told.

PS: Oh and if you can't put a decent fucking app together which includes: Grammar, punctuation, proper format etc... I don't fucking want you. If I can put these things together easily while being a Russian commie learning English as my 3rd language or w/e you as an American/Canadian/Australian resident/citizenship can too.
Last edited by Kal on Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.