Organizing Movies

DON'T REGISTER. WE DON'T USE THESE FORUMS ANYMORE.

Moderator: Officer

Marko
Go Leafs Go

Organizing Movies

Post by Marko » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:28 am

So, I`ve got a huge collection of movies on my PC. Roughly 3 TB of movies. I`m in the process of converting as many to 1080p as I can, so that number will be going much higher soon. With SATA 6GB/s HDDs that's not a problem.

I am attempting to organize them now. My end goal is to be able to search my list of movies based on any number of criteria. The ability to find specific actors, genres, oldest <-> newest year, specific years/decades, specific directors. This is something I'd like to be able to access from my desktop that has every single movie I own in its database. My PC is used to watch a lot of movies, and looking through 3 HDD's right now at a list of 1500 movies is just a huge pain in the ass when you're trying to find something you feel like watching.

I have an idea, but it's a very long and arduous process that I am trying to avoid. It would involve creating shortcuts to every single movie and creating a sort of 'shortcut' folder that will require a shortcut copied into several different folders (a folder based on oldest <-> newest year, actors, directors, genres). Doing this for 1 movie is a pain in the ass, nevermind 1500. I've looked at a couple programs online but there isn't anything that I've found that does what I want it to do. I haven't tested any with a large database simply because the trials of these programs limit them to a certain amount of movies instead of a time line (the good ones are not free, haven't found a decent free one yet).

Anyone try doing something like this before? Any recommendations on programs and/or a system of organizing that will give me the end result without having to spend dozens of hours editing shortcuts or metatags?
Melbu
King of the Winglies

Re: Organizing Movies

Post by Melbu » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:14 pm

use XBMC

google it
Marko
Go Leafs Go

Post by Marko » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:37 pm

Melbufrahma wrote:use XBMC

google it
While XBMC is an awesome program, it does absolutely nothing I would want it to.
Tassadar

Post by Tassadar » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:43 pm

Palin wrote:but he leaves a really bad taste in my mouth
Shearokal (8:36:38 PM): das right, cause we niggas gotta stick together
Hirokal : NOOOOOO! I love Tass :(